Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
When they first stopped board flipping some missions, especially passenger missions, went through a phase of being actually quite lucrative. The local sightseeing ones used to offer the kind of money you now get offered for going to Colonia (never take those now). There were also really decent assassination missions for a while, nothing crazy but you could get 10 - 15 million for killing an engineered target. I can't remember which patch specifically nerfed mission payouts but it wasn't far off the nu-mining stuff, which is so weird... Introducing mechanics that let people get hundreds of millions in short order with one hand while squashing mission rewards into nothingness with the other. I honestly think someone just tweaked some values without thinking about it, and nobody has checked or given it any thought since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I bought a Quest 2 and loaded Elite Dangerous after a long hiatus and man playing in VR with a nicer screen sure is awesome. Then I remembered I was at Long Sight Base attempting to start the engineer grind and promptly said gently caress that.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Tommy the Newt posted:

I honestly think someone just tweaked some values without thinking about it, and nobody has checked or given it any thought since.
This is how they have arrived at literally every value used in the game for anything :v:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Your move, FDEV...
https://twitter.com/overdrawxyz/status/1316066431684030464?s=21

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

For actual realism in this spaceship simulation, getting close enough to a black hole that you could resolve its accretion disk with your own eyes would probably subject you to hilarious amounts of heat and x-ray radiation even before worrying about the whole gravity thing. Jumping into a system with a black hole primary would be loving harrowing and probably suicidal!

e: a bug hunt CG! The contributions cap is 80 billion. Considering the participation combined from last week's CG and the dismal amount you get per 'goid killed, I foresee the end result being lots of exploded stations.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 15, 2020

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Thundarr posted:

For actual realism in this spaceship simulation, getting close enough to a black hole that you could resolve its accretion disk with your own eyes would probably subject you to hilarious amounts of heat and x-ray radiation even before worrying about the whole gravity thing. Jumping into a system with a black hole primary would be loving harrowing and probably suicidal!

Yeah, precisely, why haven't they added it?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

im ok with more black hole problems

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I didn't say it'd be a bad thing. :shobon:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Thundarr posted:

It's okay, the magic plot armour Friendship Drive wraps you in a relativistic bubble protecting you from all the adverse effects!

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
Pretty sure it used to be that black holes were incredibly dangerous purely because of insane heat buildup. Really ought to go back to making space inherently (elite) dangerous.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
You still get some heat buildup, but I didn't try getting very close to it or dropping out of supercruise because I was (still am) carrying way too much exploration data. It definitely felt underwhelming, though. Jet cone boosting from a White Dwarf is more dangerous than a black hole. :quagmire:

Speaking of carrying exploration data, I had been holding onto the stuff from my 5K Ly venture so that I could rank up Professor Palin after unlocking him. So I came back into the bubble, went and farmed up my sensor fragments, turned them in to Palin. Then I sold 30M worth of exploration data, and Palin's rank didn't budge. What gives? :nallears:

It worked for Felicity Farseer and Elvira Martuuk, I'm not sure why Palin wouldn't behave the same. If this is somehow intentional and Palin's clone Chloe Sedesi also doesn't rank up from selling exploration data, I might as well dump it somewhere so I can go back into Open without being worried about losing 60 million worth of stuff.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Unfortunately you just can't level them up that way, only Farseer and Martuuk do that to my knowledge. If you still have a faction-specific engineer to unlock you can use it to boost your rep with their guys, like Alioth Independents or something. If not and you felt like helping out you could drop the data on one of the Diamond Frogs stations, if you're willing to hold on to it until the next tick (about 11am UTC) it'd be appreciated in Ngaledi (Wankel port or Springer terminal).

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Tommy the Newt posted:

Unfortunately you just can't level them up that way, only Farseer and Martuuk do that to my knowledge. If you still have a faction-specific engineer to unlock you can use it to boost your rep with their guys, like Alioth Independents or something. If not and you felt like helping out you could drop the data on one of the Diamond Frogs stations, if you're willing to hold on to it until the next tick (about 11am UTC) it'd be appreciated in Ngaledi (Wankel port or Springer terminal).

By all accounts Palin is also supposed to progress that way--his starport has a Universal Cartographics, obviously, and even has a quote along the lines of "We're preparing our next expedition and could use any expedition data you might have". Based on older forum posts, it did work before. My theory is that it worked before he was moved out of Maia, and they just didn't properly link his rank to the minor faction at his new location. :frontear:

I sent a support ticket to see if that's anything they'd correct. (basically "Mr. Palin, I'd like to speak to your manager!!") If not, I suppose Ngaledi is as good a location as any!

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Checking on Inara is usually the safest bet, they keep that info pretty well up to date. https://inara.cz/galaxy-engineer/3/ just "craft modules" listed.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Oh, poo poo... so there's no point in holding on to my exploration data? I figured eventually there would be some engineer to dump it on. Where I am currently in the engineer list means I'll need to open Alioth, then do the faction stuff for Ryder/Nemo... then just dump it on Wankel Port or Springer Station in Ngladi? Is there something special to that or just dump it at universal cartography on that station and somehow this helps goons?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Mailer posted:

Oh, poo poo... so there's no point in holding on to my exploration data? I figured eventually there would be some engineer to dump it on. Where I am currently in the engineer list means I'll need to open Alioth, then do the faction stuff for Ryder/Nemo...

Yeah, I used exploration data to unlock Sirius, Alioth and Yoru. But even if it doesn't work for Palin, I wouldn't say exploration data has no point--if anything, the Inara listing that Tommy the Newt posted underlines that there's a few engineers I didn't even know could be progressed with exploration data. I might still end up selling it because I'm a decent ways away from unlocking the other ones, and I can just earn new exploration data if/when I head out to Colonia, I suppose.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Even with my (eventually) fully engineered exploration conda I'd bet the Colonia trip would get me enough to get there. Maybe it'd require a few courier jobs while I'm there but I've been holding onto this data for like four years so it'd be good to finally get rid of it before I drunkenly kiss a planet at 03:00. It sounds like the Colonia engineers are just for completionist points anyway.

Been looking into a hotas setup for a while now. Availability being what it is, it's looking like a VKB NXT combined with the t.16000 throttle. I've been using kb/mouse so far and that's worked more or less fine but the vague mouse inputs don't sound great for combat. Two things I noticed is people don't bind forward/back thrust and everyone outside of flightsim fans use the twist for rudder. How the hell do people land without being able to tap forward/back? Doesn't the twist rudder get in the way when you're just trying to pitch/roll?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

According to Steam, last time I played this was 2017. What's changed since then, and how much additional money might I need to spend to get up to speed?

Also, I like flying around the practice track in SW: Squadrons listening to podcasts, can I do something similar in the pvp-mode? Just fling a fighter around for an hour?

Edit: oh hey horizons is still latest release, so that answers the money question I guess.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 16, 2020

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Horizons is about to be free, although that probably doesn’t impact you.

e: If you already had it, you get an exclusive shiny skin for your space boats

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

right on, love a shiny skin I guess

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Black Griffon posted:

According to Steam, last time I played this was 2017. What's changed since then

Engineers are a lot easier thanks to material traders allowing you to convert from one (easily obtained) item to another (balls hard to get) item. Mining is the big money source. Stations are prettier now. You can now buy a fleet carrier for 5b plus a ton of money to activate vendors and stuff in it and it costs you a bunch of money to maintain, which isn't a problem with mining the way it is but would suck for taking a break from the game.

Other than that, and probably a bunch of PvP meta shifts... seems like the same game to me. Fly around, listen to podcasts, watch number go up.

Spacelegs are coming with the next update so you can walk around and say "Wow it looks bigger from the outside".

quote:

Also, I like flying around the practice track in SW: Squadrons listening to podcasts, can I do something similar in the pvp-mode? Just fling a fighter around for an hour?

It'd be nice if there was some sort of zero stakes combat simulator. There's a separate group pvp mode with zippy ships that (afaik) no one ever plays. You can absolutely just drop a combat ship into a contested fight and shoot npcs for a bit but if you blow up it's an insurance rebuy.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The combat training tutorials are unironically pretty fun. Rather limited in terms of options though.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Svladcjelli posted:

edit: I just tried to search eddb.io for a nearby station with a shipyard, and it said the closest one to slaiyuae jr-w e1-0 is 42000 LY, so uh, never mind I guess.

Yeah, I’m pretty hosed. I might just buy an audiobook or something and slog my way back to the station at Sag A*

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Montalvo posted:

Yeah, I’m pretty hosed. I might just buy an audiobook or something and slog my way back to the station at Sag A*

I recommend The History or Rome or Revolutions podcasts by Mike Duncan. :hmmyes:

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
My buddy just gifted me the game after spending the last few years playing mostly by himself, so I'm working on getting acclimated to the absurdly convoluted--like, everything, I guess. Are there any recommended reads/videos for getting the million different control settings to a place that feels even remotely comfortable with the intention of getting into combat once I start making some cash?

edit: It actually looks like a lot of the controls feeling bad initially has been solved by actually mapping the reset mouse option, but I'll take any suggestions regardless if anyone has them.

Sab Sabbington fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Oct 16, 2020

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Mailer posted:

It'd be nice if there was some sort of zero stakes combat simulator. There's a separate group pvp mode with zippy ships that (afaik) no one ever plays. You can absolutely just drop a combat ship into a contested fight and shoot npcs for a bit but if you blow up it's an insurance rebuy.

Right, so no way to just fly around an empty pvp stage? Ah well!

Thanks for the writeup though.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Black Griffon posted:

Right, so no way to just fly around an empty pvp stage? Ah well!

I don't have Squadrons so I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, but if flying around empty environments on your own is your thing then Elite is pretty much made for you.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Mailer posted:

I don't have Squadrons so I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, but if flying around empty environments on your own is your thing then Elite is pretty much made for you.

I mean it's very weird and specific, but in Squadrons it's basically just a small empty stage that's very dense with obstacles so you can do cool maneuvers. I used to do the same around space station struts and whatnot last time I played ED.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Sab Sabbington posted:

My buddy just gifted me the game after spending the last few years playing mostly by himself, so I'm working on getting acclimated to the absurdly convoluted--like, everything, I guess. Are there any recommended reads/videos for getting the million different control settings to a place that feels even remotely comfortable with the intention of getting into combat once I start making some cash?

edit: It actually looks like a lot of the controls feeling bad initially has been solved by actually mapping the reset mouse option, but I'll take any suggestions regardless if anyone has them.

Hey gonna quote something I wrote a few pages back, for combat-oriented KB&M binds: keyboard and mouse you can try doing it like an FPS game pitch and yaw on the mouse, incremental throttle on W and S, strafe on A and D, roll on Q and E or mouse thumb buttons if available, vertical thrust on space and ctrl. Then bind your power controls to a shift key + wasd so you don't have to move your hand to access them, and any additional useful functions you identify can be added from there.

That's what most pvp players use, or some minor variation of that, like swapping verts and throttle. Once people get really into it they mostly swap to flying in Flight Assist off and using the relative mouse mode to recentre movement, but you can experiment with that later. Sadly if you want to get into combat it's the one area that's really dependent on engineering to access the fun parts, while also being the least productive in terms of engineering rewards. You have to do a bunch of unrelated space drudgery before you get to fly fast and use cool guns. If you just got started this will be TMI, but here's a guide on how to get through this process in (afaik) the most streamlined way possible https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_5mc9jif6ClUSBSvA9o2R4sujB_ieKs5faZhBxySafw/edit?usp=sharing

Black Griffon posted:

I mean it's very weird and specific, but in Squadrons it's basically just a small empty stage that's very dense with obstacles so you can do cool maneuvers. I used to do the same around space station struts and whatnot last time I played ED.

There isn't really a way to do anything in Elite without a bunch of travel time/waiting around, but there are plenty of in-game assets that resemble the CQC environments - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLRe4yeAo0k like this for example. Practically every populated system has installations of some kind now, people just don't notice them because they serve no gameplay function, which is the most tragic waste of good assets I've ever encountered. You can also do canyon runs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGs8Ys0xjr4 which can be a lot of fun, the downside is if you crash you have to fly all the way back to the canyon every time. None of this has any systemic hook in game but some players organise races and stuff in discords. The only thing you can do without heavy travel/load times are the station trench runs you were talking about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4YoGv8_zYY

Tommy the Newt fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Oct 16, 2020

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Black Griffon posted:

theres gotta be at least a few moons with some interesting terrain for you to fly real low to while you listen to the podcast entitled DANGER ZONE, which is just a kenny loggins song on repeat

that experience of flying around aimlessly on the training thing in squadrons sounds like p much my entire experience with elite lol, which is mostly "run all this cargo while pretending im way cooler than i am, as i nastily avoid the series of anacondas slithering after my goods"

the passenger transport missions seemed like a solid way to 'get out there'

Worf fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Oct 16, 2020

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Sounds like I'll get my danger zone worth with my old haunts and the stuff y'all mentioned. And I remember doing tense canyon runs last time around. Good stuff!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Okay so I logged on and found this in my notifications, but I'm not finding a contact anywhere, even though I'm in a Li Yong-Rui system.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

This is exactly what I needed, thank you much. TMI is good, most of reading/watching atm is just to get an idea of what I'll be working towards since a lot of it looks like poo poo I'll need to get a hang of by Just Doing It(TM) first anyway.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I recommend The History or Rome or Revolutions podcasts by Mike Duncan. :hmmyes:

Thanks! Hopefully it'll keep me awake. I almost died a couple of times because I played the game shortly after having dental surgery -- I'd doze off as my FSD charged and shot me into a new system, and wake up as the temperature alarms on my ship started blaring.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Montalvo posted:

Thanks! Hopefully it'll keep me awake. I almost died a couple of times because I played the game shortly after having dental surgery -- I'd doze off as my FSD charged and shot me into a new system, and wake up as the temperature alarms on my ship started blaring.

Pro-tip: always zero-out the throttle while in Witch Space! :eng101:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Dropped my first 512 stack of Painite for 446m. At roughly seven hours over several play sessions (including quitouts and selling, etc) that is ~3m/hour better than the old average on poop runs. Hopefully that goes up a bit now that I kind of know what I'm doing since the internet in general is throwing out >100m/hour figures.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I did a 512t run for 500mil in about two hours or so, so yeah, way better.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Black Griffon posted:

Okay so I logged on and found this in my notifications, but I'm not finding a contact anywhere, even though I'm in a Li Yong-Rui system.

Have you looked at the system map to make sure that planetary outpost even has a bounty office?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Libluini posted:

Have you looked at the system map to make sure that planetary outpost even has a bounty office?

Been to several stations and outposts, is there a specific bounty office that's really rare or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Black Griffon posted:

That's money from being part of the Li Yong-Rui powerplay faction. Gotta hit the Power Contact from the Contacts menu (at a station with one) to cash it out.