Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Finally, the next strand-type game arrives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Hell yeah Phasmaphobia thread!

Here is the Co-op Goon discord link where we've been organizing Phasma games.. It's run by Vox and you'll need to go through the authentication channel before you can start gaming, make sure to get the LFSpooks role from the bot!

That said, here are some more hot tips for ghost hunting if you're just starting:

-The Safety preperation timer for a hunt on amateur and intermediate difficulty does not start until you unlock the front door of the location, so no need to rush until everyone is ready with the tools they want.

- Read the whiteboard. The biggest thing to pay attention to other than side objectives and ghost name obvs is whether or not the ghost reacts to everyone or someone being alone. This can be a big difference in how long it takes to get a ghost to provide certain types of evidence.

-Figured out a piece of evidence that requires a particular tool? Congrats, mark it in your journal and toss that tool on the floor, you don't need it anymore. At the end of every hunt if you have not died all equipment is returned to you regardless of where it is.

-Do not say the ghost's name unless you're actively trying to piss the ghost off. If you're trying to ask a question to get it to respond to a Spirit Box or just get it to do something, saying its name will override the question and default to making it angrier. If your goal is to make it do spooky poo poo or start a hunt, go hog wild with its name and insults.

- This advice was stated before but try to get as many of the side objectives done as you can and try to have at least one or two people carrying a photo camera around to take pics of spooky poo poo for money. However, after a certain amount of time has passed just leave. Not entirely sure what the ghost type is? That's fine, just make a guess. There is no penalty for guessing wrong aside from a measly $10, and a massive penalty if you die trying to figure out what the ghost is. Generally I find if a hunt is pushing more than 20/30 minutes (small/large maps) than it's starting to be not worth staying longer.

- Level 10 ghost activity does not equal a hunt. It can also be indication of a Ghost Event occurring or the ghost doing something extra spooky that involves a manifestation. If you have a truck monkey obviously it's good for them to mention it's level 10 activity, but a hunt is typically very obvious when it is starting (flickering flashlight).

Most of all, have fun and get spooked. Don't feel like try harding and just want to go in to die everytime to a spooky ghost? Go for it! Want to hide in the truck and watch all your friends die? Hell yes! Want to insult the ghost before scooby-doo running to a closet and praying it won't find you? That's fine to. This game is pretty unique as of right now and I look forward to seeing what the dev can add.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Certainly sounds like you've successfully min/maxed the fun out of it!

Even with all my tools, even with all my practice, even with my procedures and plans ... I still get spooked every time the ghost breathes in my ear. Knowing how to work as effectively as possible lets you push the envelope - I did an asylum solo because I had a plan and knew what I was doing and I took everything I could with me. I still hid in closets with a pounding heart every time my flashlight went aflicker. (And I still didn't correctly identify the ghost because I wasn't willing to stick around and try to force EMF5 to confirm the type.)

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

How the does the Crucifix objective work? I had it on the ground, but the ghost refused to go into attack mode. I dropped the crucifix on the ground as soon as the flashlights started flashing, but I still died. Do I need to have it equipped?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Bioshuffle posted:

How the does the Crucifix objective work? I had it on the ground, but the ghost refused to go into attack mode. I dropped the crucifix on the ground as soon as the flashlights started flashing, but I still died. Do I need to have it equipped?

It's probably one of the trickiest objectives to get because you need to put the ghost in a mode where it will murder. The most important thing is to isolate the room you think it will spawn in (it's "favorite" room) and then chuck a crucifix in as center a position as possible. If the room is especially big (classrooms in highschool, big living rooms in farmhouse, *sigh* Asylum), you may need two crucifix to cover the whole room. To clarify, the crucifix must be on the ground or in your hand and presented already when the ghost tries to spawn in. If your flashlight is flickering it is too late. Only smudge sticks will buy you some time to get away at that point.

The way it works is if a ghost tries to spawn in to hunt in a certain AOE around a crucifix, the hunt will be cancelled. This AOE is not humongous so you generally need to know where the ghost is most likely to spawn and sometimes you just get straight up unlucky. There is no indication that a hunt has been cancelled by a crucifix unless you notice the crucifix has disappeared (meaning it has cancelled two hunts for you) or you have the objective available and it has greyed out to indicate completion.

Generally if the ghost is in a big room and we have the objective I won't bother with it because the reward does not outweigh the risk. Of course you'll keep the crucifix around to try and stop a hunt from happening while you try to figure out what it is, but I won't go out of my way to try and force it. Hell even if you're positive what room a ghost is in sometimes it just won't initiate a hunt no matter how hard you try to piss it off regardless of difficulty.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Most ghosts only initiate a hunt when the average player sanity is below about 50%. Demon and Oni types (at least) ignore this rule and can hunt whenever they loving feel like it. This is useful if you need a ghost picture, you can be a little more risky and try to antagonize the ghost into showing up because you know it USUALLY won't attack when you're higher sanity. Of course, sometimes your sanity dropped below the magic number without you realizing and ... whoops.

Also it's good to have a hide in mind at all times. Where the nearest room is with a door that you can close.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

yeah this game's pretty neat

https://clips.twitch.tv/SuperEnthusiasticYogurtBuddhaBar

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there some way to play this in VR sitting down? I can offset the height in steam advanced settings, but it makes it impossible to pick up anything off the ground. Really wish this game had VR force powers that most games have so I could just fling poo poo from the ground into my hands .

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also is the last person alive incapable of dying or something? it seems impossible to get killed after everyone else is dead.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
is this game worth it for a non VR player with no friends?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Non vr yes, no friends no.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Me and two buddies encountered the weirdest ghost last night. It was on the grafton farmhouse level. We went in with emf and temperature reader, scoured the entire house from top to bottom, found jack poo poo, except for a bone. However the first weird thing was that the ghost started to hunt me really early on, before the 5 minute countdown was finished. The hunt lasted for a few seconds, and stopped as soon as i exited the room i was in. We set up a camera in that room and went back and forth trying to provoke it, but no dice. No temp, no EMF no spriti box, or orbs. We figure we should go for a second sweep of the house, and then suddenly in the opposite end of the house the ghost started to hunt us again and killed me dead. My brave friends promptly hosed off to the van and left. Turns out it was a Jinn. But they are supposed to be territorial and be less likely to move from their chosen haunt... And they are usually easy to find with the emf, and the spirit box. A bug maybe?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

GyverMac posted:

Me and two buddies encountered the weirdest ghost last night. It was on the grafton farmhouse level. We went in with emf and temperature reader, scoured the entire house from top to bottom, found jack poo poo, except for a bone. However the first weird thing was that the ghost started to hunt me really early on, before the 5 minute countdown was finished. The hunt lasted for a few seconds, and stopped as soon as i exited the room i was in. We set up a camera in that room and went back and forth trying to provoke it, but no dice. No temp, no EMF no spriti box, or orbs. We figure we should go for a second sweep of the house, and then suddenly in the opposite end of the house the ghost started to hunt us again and killed me dead. My brave friends promptly hosed off to the van and left. Turns out it was a Jinn. But they are supposed to be territorial and be less likely to move from their chosen haunt... And they are usually easy to find with the emf, and the spirit box. A bug maybe?

Yurei are typically the territorial ghosts, Jinn just move super fast if you have the power on. The ghosts that don't have Freezing Temperatures as evidence can be real bastards to find sometimes because you can sweep an entire house and there will be no abnormal temps. Having an EMF reader out becomes more important at those points since it'll only go off in the vicinity of the ghost when it does spooky poo poo. Another thing you could do is bring a motion detector or two and put it in an area you suspect the ghost to be to see if you've gotten the general area right. And if you're really struggling, you can move the detector around the house to narrow down where it might be wandering.

Sounds like an odd bug though with a ghost going into hunt mode during the 5 minute safety prep. Did you check that the clock in the truck hadn't ticked down to 0:00 or that you weren't on a higher difficulty? Ghosts get way more aggressive on professional on top there being no safety prep time. Hell even if it was on intermediate 2 minutes can go real fast.

edit: as for where the ghost started hunting you from, you may just not have realized its fave room was on the side of the house you switched to, in addition to the fact Jinn are insanely fast with the power on that it might have just zoomed across the map to murder you.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 15, 2020

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

SaffronKit posted:

Yurei are typically the territorial ghosts, Jinn just move super fast if you have the power on.

Huh. I could swear I read that Jinn is the territorial one. I also thought the Yurei is the sanity lowering ghost. (Looking at it drops your sanity faster than the other ones). I guess i need to read the journal more often. Well if the Jinn is the fast one, then the attack patterns makes more sense. Dunno why he was hatin on me so much though, it was my buddy who loudly proclaimed to have intimate knowledge with his wife over and over!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Also Ouija boards can just take you out of the prep phase and immediately initiate a hunt.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

GyverMac posted:

Huh. I could swear I read that Jinn is the territorial one. I also thought the Yurei is the sanity lowering ghost. (Looking at it drops your sanity faster than the other ones). I guess i need to read the journal more often. Well if the Jinn is the fast one, then the attack patterns makes more sense. Dunno why he was hatin on me so much though, it was my buddy who loudly proclaimed to have intimate knowledge with his wife over and over!

The unique strengths and weaknesses of a ghost can tell you some of what to expect out of them, it's the entry at the top that's important to pay attention to as well!

Also this game still has stuff in it that isn't understood like this:

dogstile posted:

Also Ouija boards can just take you out of the prep phase and immediately initiate a hunt.

is something I had no idea about. I mean I rarely if ever see a Ouija board in a location and haven't actually ever bothered trying to use it myself personally when we do find one so this would absolutely blindside me.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

dogstile posted:

From our experience, if you somehow manage to piss the ghost off enough that it would have triggered a hunt during the prep phase, it will instead subtract some time from your prep phase, which can leave you vulnerable to a hunt earlier than you think. Banshees are particularly dangerous for this; it's possible with unlucky random chance to have a Banshee rapid fire trigger an early hunt, drain the timer, and then trigger a second hunt before anyone realizes the timer was drained.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Also you might have thought that it was starting a hunt because your flashlight flickered, but it might have just been a ghost loving with it for spook reasons. Hunts don't get cancelled except by crucifix, which means they never flicker you at all.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Talked a friend into buying this so they could play with my group, and we got 3 wraiths in a row. Nothing like dying randomly. I wish you could disable certain ghost types from appearing. When you die, you lose all of your equipment you added to the stage, not just the ones you have on your person, right?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

SaffronKit posted:

The unique strengths and weaknesses of a ghost can tell you some of what to expect out of them, it's the entry at the top that's important to pay attention to as well!

is something I had no idea about. I mean I rarely if ever see a Ouija board in a location and haven't actually ever bothered trying to use it myself personally when we do find one so this would absolutely blindside me.

Yeah we only found out because i asked the board a question and my girlfriend who is always hiding in the van calling me a coward for not wanting to go into basements :v: noticed the timer drop to 0

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

SaffronKit posted:

Pretty sure one ghost, maybe Phantom can spawn right out of the board to spook ya.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

GyverMac posted:

Actually gonna take this back as my mistake, Jinn are the territorial ones! Still feels like Yurei are kinda territorial too, def had them be more aggressive in their rooms.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 16, 2020

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I've seen a lot of people streaming this, and I gotta say, even though I think the premise is silly as hell, it looks like a pretty fun and spooky game. If I had a PC that could handle it, I'd probably get it and play some.

Like, irl I don't believe and ghosts and think the while ghost hunting thing is super dumb and boring, but I suspend my disbelief for games all the gd time and can do it here, too. It looks like good fun with the right group of players, and I can definitely see it freaking me out a considerable amount, regardless of knowing full gd well it's just a game about bs. Which is why it impresses me like it does, really.

I think I heard it was in early access? Kinda make me hopeful that maaaybe we'll see it come to console eventually, just cause I have a console but my laptop won't really run anything more demanding than Among Us, lmao

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I bought this and played with a couple of friends tonight and it's really a blast. I am a huge puss for jump scares and appreciate that this game is spooky scary but there's really no cheap FNAF type jump scares (that I know of?? :ohdear:). The spatial audio stuff is fantastic, hearing the muffled voice of your friend in the room next to you talking in the spirit box is really cool and adds so much to the game. It seems like it lends itself well to streaming too which I imagine will help keep this game pretty popular for a while.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

weekly font posted:

Pretty sure one ghost, maybe Phantom can spawn right out of the board to spook ya.

Holy poo poo that's amazing.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Even watching streams its always a hoot when someone is using the spirit box, gets a response, and literally everyone within earshot goes "oh poo poo yep thats a ghost all right" and starts scooting out of the house to re-evaluate

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah my whole group is really good at checking out what is going on in the truck in general.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

that seems like a good spot for the camera. Let me go to the truck to double check for the next 20 minutes. ***pshhht*** your sanity is lookin low. Ghost activity is 10. Just thought you guys would want to know. Just doin my part over/out.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I guess I should check out the streams of people who don't suck, lol. Most the streams I've watched so far were done by people either playing for the first time or who were still pretty new at it, even if they hadn't just began.

But, like, a lot if them I've watched were sorta lacking just because players didn't know what they were doing, really. One I watched yesterday would have been and even bugger disappointment had the channel not had a ton of people in their chat telling them what to do, like check for ghost writing, etc.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I think it loses a little bit of the charm if you all know exactly what you're doing. It does become a very rote "oh that objective sucks, lets not do that one, ok we've got all the detecting gear spread out ok its here dump all the gear in here hello Maria Wilson Maria Wilson PLEASE HUNT SO I CAN GET 10 DOLLARS".

Basically i think once you complete a few missions it should turn up the spook and crazy. I hope the dev does.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

More maps more spooks bug fixes

Dev really does not need to go to nuts beyond that with this formula.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

that seems like a good spot for the camera. Let me go to the truck to double check for the next 20 minutes. ***pshhht*** your sanity is lookin low. Ghost activity is 10. Just thought you guys would want to know. Just doin my part over/out.
lmao this is me during Asylum investigations

last night my group came back with less than 10% sanity and zero evidence/objectives and voted me to march back in there alone because I was at 80%

turns out we had a bugged Banshee that was Activity 10 or 0 with nothing in between, but it was stuck and couldn't actually hunt anyone, even at 0% sanity

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

it's not gamebreaking at all, but I hope the photo sharing bug is a priority. my team managed to get several good ghost photos, but they look completely different (often obscuring the ghost) when viewed by the other players. we were screenshotting and texting them to each other because someone would brag about what a great shot they got and everyone else was like "why are you bragging about a photo of a door frame from three inches away?"

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Huh, that's weird, i've never actually seen that bug.

https://trello.com/b/9QrnqQ1j/phasmophobia

He's got a feature map/bug fix, etc up if you're interested.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

There's no way for dead players to communicate with other players who are alive, right?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

dogstile posted:

Oh man some of those changes and features sound nuts. Also some of the bugs listed that need fixing are kind of interesting. Don't tab out I guess since that breaks voice recog.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

dogstile posted:

Big agree on that entry for the thermometer needing a change.

It's way too easy to confirm the ghost's room even on the larger maps with it, and since I'm so spoiled on mechanics even if I relegate myself to Safari Guide (I got called Spooky Steve Irwin last night) I still end up teaching my groups too many good habits so one of them hasn't had to endure a single hunt yet.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

The thing I'm reluctant to see about that change is sometimes the thermometer actually doesn't help you find the ghost, especially if it's not a freezing temp ghost. Hell, sometimes it is a freezing temp ghost and the temp never actually drops below freezing. That, coupled with the large maps being so ridiculously large and the Parabolic Mic and Sound Sensor basically being useless it might swing the game more in the direction of frustrating on the larger maps. On the smaller maps though it should be far less of an issue because you can cover them quicker and make better use of the other tools since it's easier to return to the truck.

Being able to choose your difficulty as well once they've been unlocked will also be a big difference, I haven't gotten to do nearly as many Professional hunts as I'd like and being able to quickly locate the ghost is pretty crucial.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

explosivo posted:

There's no way for dead players to communicate with other players who are alive, right?

There really should be a way for dead players to play the ghost (minus the killing). I think it'd be a hilariously fun way to spend death by making the lights flicker and scaring the poo poo outta your teammates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cowman posted:

There really should be a way for dead players to play the ghost (minus the killing). I think it'd be a hilariously fun way to spend death by making the lights flicker and scaring the poo poo outta your teammates

This! The first time I died I got all excited because I figured I could mess with players. Being dead in this game is so boring. It'd also be fun if you could see the ghost while dead, but that would suck a lot of the horror out of it so I get why you can't do that.

You can talk to teammates while dead if you are using discord. Although I don't recommend it. First off, Discord breaks the voice detection stuff for me at least and I can't talk to the ghosts. It also just all around makes it less fun. The prox chat/radio combo is much more immersive.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 16, 2020