Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

calandryll posted:

Yeah private pickups are the best. I'm just scared of the one I'm in, because a lot of people were not coming back, they opened it up to all sorts of slubs. I'm just afraid when things return to "normal", a lot of the lovely people will make it unfun.

That happened to one of my pickups a number of years ago. It used to be super casual, co-ed, Sunday night skate that was mostly about hanging out after and drinking a few beers. Some of the older players started fading out, we needed people to keep it going and it spread into a group of guys that now play like they're Playing For The Cup every week. Like getting legit butthurt when a player that isn't as good gets the puck and fucks up a play. It got to be where some guys on the bench will be like, hey let's not pass the puck to x-player because they suck and will essentially play 4 on 5 because they refuse to pass to the 5th person. A bunch more people quit, myself included, because it was getting worse and worse. It got to a point where the new group of guys would only pass to each other and only use another player out of complete desperation. Not to brag or anything but I'm not that bad at hockey and I was essentially going there to skate up and down the ice for cardio only unless I was able to make my own plays to get the puck. Now one of the guys has been texting me every week since the rink opened back up to try and get people to come back but I'm letting them have their Stanley Cup playoffs all to themselves at this point. Hopefully it doesn't happen to you, or you're at least as lucky as I was to find a new group to play with that is all about playing for fun and not for winning a pickup game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
^^ that poo poo sucks. we've gotten some really strong players out in our group but basically if you don't pass to the bad players when they're open and don't give them an extra step now and then when you're up against them you don't get asked back. If people want to play like assholes there's a million different places they can do that, it's nice to have a group that's about having fun (although it's still pretty competitive too, it just depends on the matchups)

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Private pickups require active management. It always descends into that nonsense if you let it.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
The one that I'm not playing in right now is actively managed but to keep it alive because hardly anyone is coming back, they are letting anyone in. Which sucks because there is a good group that we probably spend more time afterwards drinking beers than playing.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
At my rink if your group spends $50 at the bar you get free pizza and nachos and it's probably the thing I miss the most from pre-covid times

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score
For those of you that are playing, what are you doing for face coverings? do you have a full face shield? are you wearing some sort of mask under your visor or cage?

Looks like Seattle area is green lighting hockey sometime today, so got about 10 days to get poo poo in order

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

CCM is making a mask that straps to your cage!

But: "This product does not eliminate the risk of inbound or outbound contagion, nor is any fitness for purpose warranty made in respect of the protection granted by this product. "

:downs:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

There is absolutely no way they’d guarantee anything so that statement makes sense

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
We got a nice passive aggressive email from the rink manager that basically said be grateful that we aren't as restrictive as NJ or PA. Yeah thanks dude for being gracious enough to open the rink so we can all get covid. I think they are worried because it seems like most of the teams are not playing this season.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

A rink manager being passive aggressive? SURELY NOT!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Tank44 posted:

For those of you that are playing, what are you doing for face coverings? do you have a full face shield? are you wearing some sort of mask under your visor or cage?

Looks like Seattle area is green lighting hockey sometime today, so got about 10 days to get poo poo in order

just the cage. some guys wear masks but i don't know how much that really does if like 17/20 people aren't wearing them. i was thinking about switching back to my fishbowl but i can't find it.

edit: ultimately i'd just straight up not be playing if my city was doing big covid numbers

prom candy fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 6, 2020

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Tank44 posted:

We've been doing face coverings in the locker room but not on the ice. I play with just a full cage. The group I play with is very laid back with multiple skill levels so a lot of potential face to face contact like digging pucks out of the corners or anything like that is basically nonexistent. Plus the guy who runs it has the limit at 3 guys per each bench so that even on the bench you're separated. It has been going on for quite a few weeks now and there haven't been any issues. The only inconvenient part really is that the locker room bathrooms/showers are closed and locked so if you have to piss before skating or anything you have to walk a decent distance to the public rink bathroom, which I'll say they have been keeping really clean.

That also means no showers after skating either which is pretty loving gross. I've been not showering after hockey now for a good 8 weeks and it has solidified me into not understanding the "I only live 5 minutes away so I shower at home" guy. I mean to each their own, most rink showers are fairly gross so I get it if you don't really want to go in there. It's just no matter how close to the rink you are, you have to put your clothes on while either still wet with sweat or wait for it to dry on you which is just as gross if you ask me. Plus waiting around is kind of frowned upon because the rink is kind of trying to limit how long people are actually in the building. Then getting into the shower at home I can feel the sweat like re-activating before it washes off. Really a minor inconvenience considering everything that could potentially go wrong but still gross.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The secret is to never work hard enough in a game that you sweat.

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

This is not the pleasure planet I was promised!
The not showering thing is definitely awkward. I have basically relegated one of my lighter jackets as the gross hockey jacket and need to pick out a winter one soon I think.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
As tank said, apparently Seattle leagues are opening up again. No word on what that looks like but they've got the go ahead to start up again in the next week or two which is kind of surprising. I haven't heard a word on what the requirements will be but I'm scared. I'm going to be checking in with my team but I have a feeling a lot of people won't play, not to mention the few that moved away.

My guess is dressing outside the rinks, no showers, maybe limited roster size. Weird they can announce it's coming back but fail to mention how.

Oh well. I'm nervous and on the fence about returning especially with holidays right around the corner

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

bigbillystyle posted:

We've been doing face coverings in the locker room but not on the ice. I play with just a full cage. .. gross.

How does a cage help stop spreading Rona? Is Rona medically attracted to the rusty metal bars?

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

calandryll posted:

We got a nice passive aggressive email from the rink manager that basically said be grateful that we aren't as restrictive as NJ or PA.

Rinks around Pittsburgh have been playing since June with the "dress before you come" honor system in place. I've seen several pictures on social media of locker rooms jam packed with people not wearing masks. About 1/3 of my team returned to play but no thanks. I turned over its running to someone else.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
He said that PA only allowed 25 people total for both teams, that may be for youth, in the rink at a time. I'm just tired of people being idiots about this poo poo. I'm one of the youngest guys on my team at 40 and our captain's wife is immunocompromised so it's not just himself he's worried about.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Tank44 posted:

How does a cage help stop spreading Rona? Is Rona medically attracted to the rusty metal bars?

Oh sorry that's not what I meant. I was just giving the info as far as what my rink is requiring and what I've been doing.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I knew what ya meant. Lotta people itching to be the Rona Police in here.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

calandryll posted:

He said that PA only allowed 25 people total for both teams, that may be for youth, in the rink at a time. I'm just tired of people being idiots about this poo poo. I'm one of the youngest guys on my team at 40 and our captain's wife is immunocompromised so it's not just himself he's worried about.

Yeah that might be how it's working for real organized hockey. 25 people for both teams is almost never a concern in this league as teams usually struggle to field 10-12.

I agree with you, plus my wife is a nurse who treats covid patients so I'd prefer not to expose people via myself.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i have a game on sunday! woo!

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

bgreman posted:

Yeah that might be how it's working for real organized hockey. 25 people for both teams is almost never a concern in this league as teams usually struggle to field 10-12.

I agree with you, plus my wife is a nurse who treats covid patients so I'd prefer not to expose people via myself.

Fistbump to your wife, dude. I'm actually NOT treating covid patients this week for the first time since March and it's a HUGE relief to get a break. Hope she's hanging in there.

And yeah, nothing CCM or Bauer is putting out won't do jack to prevent covid. I know the Bauer thing that attaches to the fishbowl only protects from droplet, based on an email convo I had with them earlier in the summer. It's not gonna do anything for aerosols.

bewbies posted:

i have a game on sunday! woo!

Just don't breathe, it'll be fine

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
we've been running 10 skaters per team and also at my rink you get an hour and fifteen minutes of ice time now instead of the old 50 minutes. in a lot of ways covid has improved some of my gripes with how hockey is run here.

running our own shinny has also made is crystal clear just how much profit the leagues around here take, and it's a loving lot. we can run break-even with ten skaters per team if everyone pays ~$15.50 per game, and that's without the ice discount that i think the leagues get. our league was running 14 skaters per team at $20pp. if the refs are $25/ea per game then the league is making $200 on every game, and that's if they're paying what i pay for ice, which they're not.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

bigbillystyle posted:

Oh sorry that's not what I meant. I was just giving the info as far as what my rink is requiring and what I've been doing.

Sorry - that did sound harsh... just wondered if you added anything to the cage. No worries.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Tank44 posted:

Sorry - that did sound harsh... just wondered if you added anything to the cage. No worries.

Yeah no problem man. Nothing added to it but honestly it is more about the group that I'm in that makes me feel comfortable rather than any kind of hockey PPE I could have. They started skating back in July sometime, I waited 2 weeks to see how it hashed out, nothing happened and I started back with them after that. It would at least appear that everyone is doing all the right things to stay safe on the day to day, hand washing/sanitizing, masks, and nobody seems to be in the 'this is all a hoax' camp so if I feel comfortable that everyone is doing all the same stuff I'm doing to stay safe and so I have to believe the risk is as low as it can be for doing a group activity. If I went inside the locker room the first time back and got a bunch of poo poo for wearing a mask or washing my hands or something I can't say I would have continued within a group that considers people playing it safer than others a bunch of sheeple pussies or whatever we are.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Y'all are crazy for playing. It only takes one moron to set that poo poo off like wildfire.

I'm enjoying my golfing just fine. I can wait on hockey.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Verman posted:

As tank said, apparently Seattle leagues are opening up again. No word on what that looks like but they've got the go ahead to start up again in the next week or two which is kind of surprising. I haven't heard a word on what the requirements will be but I'm scared. I'm going to be checking in with my team but I have a feeling a lot of people won't play, not to mention the few that moved away.

Yeah it's looking like ~75% of our team is opting out (too many parents and immuno-compromised friends/family/roomies) and had two more scoot back up Canada earlier in the summer - Don't blame em at all for GTFO'ing. And I super doubt our 3-on-3 small ice league will be starting back up anytime soon.

As for me: Gonna hit my first stick n puck on Sunday afternoon down at Kent - first time testing the knee out since the explosion ~ 8 months ago. The brace fits nicely under the shinpad and keeps the patella in place. Got a free $150 from the office for my workiversary so I'm *kinda* contemplating upgrading my old one.6 shins. Either that or i'm just gonna glue some more foam into the knee cup :shrug:

sellouts posted:

Lotta people itching

pretty sure that's just the corona

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
My league sent out an email to all the captains asking for our interest in starting up again and I said I couldn't speak for everyone on my team, but I personally wouldn't feel comfortable playing again until I'm vaccinated. I assume most other captains responded similarly because this was a couple months ago and I haven't heard anything from them since.

The two rinks I go to most often are public and run by cities, so they don't really have the extra pressure of profits to force them to reopen early.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

Duke Chin posted:

Yeah it's looking like ~75% of our team is opting out (too many parents and immuno-compromised friends/family/roomies) and had two more scoot back up Canada earlier in the summer - Don't blame em at all for GTFO'ing. And I super doubt our 3-on-3 small ice league will be starting back up anytime soon.
This is both if my teams too. In may it was a 55% yes interest. Now it's 80% No. Last email from league noted credit or refund for unplayed games which was the last hard push to No (if we ever actually see it).

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Toronto, Peel, and Ottawa have all moved back to stage 2 restrictions which means you can't play games on the ice, only drills. I think it's probably not long until we get the same restrictions here in Hamilton. Even though numbers are still super low here we're close enough to Toronto that we'll probably just get folded in if provincial numbers keep rising. Hopefully the rink doesn't gently caress me over and try to keep all the money I paid to rent ice for shinny.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i played an actual hockey game! it was lots of fun

we only had 5 skaters and of course we're matched up against the team that consists mostly of ex pros. we pretty much just played halo around the net and our goalie stood on his head, and they just...couldn't score. they were getting progressively more and more pissed off, and a bunch of them clearly switched back from beer league to competitive hockey mode as they got more and more irritated they couldn't score. they finally got one halfway through the third, then another. then we got one off some idiot dildo failed saucer pass, and had a 2 on 0 with like 15 seconds left...with out two defensemen, who are not exactly scoring whizzes (the fact that it was our defensemen who got away on this 2 on 0 should tell you about the condition of the forwards at that point).

i had to play center the whole time and won maybe 5 faceoffs the whole game

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

bewbies posted:

i played an actual hockey game! it was lots of fun

we only had 5 skaters and of course we're matched up against the team that consists mostly of ex pros. we pretty much just played halo around the net and our goalie stood on his head, and they just...couldn't score. they were getting progressively more and more pissed off, and a bunch of them clearly switched back from beer league to competitive hockey mode as they got more and more irritated they couldn't score. they finally got one halfway through the third, then another. then we got one off some idiot dildo failed saucer pass, and had a 2 on 0 with like 15 seconds left...with out two defensemen, who are not exactly scoring whizzes (the fact that it was our defensemen who got away on this 2 on 0 should tell you about the condition of the forwards at that point).

i had to play center the whole time and won maybe 5 faceoffs the whole game

That’s 5 more faceoffs than I’ve won in three years of adult hockey I’ve played.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Finally participated in my local metro org's hockey skills evaluation and got slotted into the bottom, but at least I made the cut! I've only been on ice skates 3 times, and only once in the skates that I used to perform the eval (thanks, calandryll!). First practice is on Saturday and I'm very, very excited. Got to meet my team and they're all awesome, none of that overly jock nonsense.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

https://news.yahoo.com/how-a-florida-hockey-game-became-a-covid-19-superspreader-event-170046699.html

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Are you saying USA Hockey lied to me in an email saying hockey is the safest sport because of all of the filtration? I think it also said it was cold so that helps with safety or some poo poo.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I was just on a call monday to discuss my leagues return to play. It was a poo poo show. The state has the mandates for recreational sports and I dont see how this goes off without having positive cases in the first few weeks. People argued for 20 minutes about faceoffs and weather to eliminate them or modify it in some way to limit 1 on 1 exposure. My league director is a nice guy and he tries but he's pretty incompetent and caves to pressure. He claims most of the teams want to play and are pushing to get back out on the ice. His guess was 75%. He used that to peer pressure everyone else into feeling like its safe to go back.

Well those numbers seem inflated. He sent out a survey to see how teams felt and if they would return. If he didn't get a response from those captains, he said they were out. He wants 65% of the teams to play in order to move ahead.

25% of the teams in our league said they weren't playing at all.
10% never responded to playing at all, meaning they are out.
Of the teams that are wanting to participate, nearly all of them are running at 50-60% of their roster due to players not wanting to play.

So my guesstimate is that the majority of players in the league actually DONT want to play. But hey, numbers are funny that way.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

Verman posted:

25% of the teams in our league said they weren't playing at all.
10% never responded to playing at all, meaning they are out.
Of the teams that are wanting to participate, nearly all of them are running at 50-60% of their roster due to players not wanting to play.

So my guesstimate is that the majority of players in the league actually DONT want to play. But hey, numbers are funny that way.

I dont know how it's that high for teams and people to return. My 2 teams all voted not to play, and a sister team also said no. Between the 3 teams there's 8 people: 3 goalies and 5 skaters willing to play

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

June in Florida is when they were adding like 10k new cases per day right?

My wife and I just ordered fish bowls and the little "splash guard" attachment. I'm not very concerned about covid at our rink but may as well up the precaution level a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Like, I wouldn’t be as concerned if I didn’t have 2 toddlers tornadoes in the house. If my wife or I get that poo poo, they’re home from daycare for 2 weeks, which means neither of us can work since they’re in the DESTROY AND CLIMB EVERYTHING phase. I had one home today with a fever and had to do meetings while he was sitting on my lap babbling about Moana while I’m taking.

Not to mention the obvious health downsides or the relatively unknown long-term effects.

prom candy posted:

June in Florida is when they were adding like 10k new cases per day right?

My wife and I just ordered fish bowls and the little "splash guard" attachment. I'm not very concerned about covid at our rink but may as well up the precaution level a bit.

Yeah, the Florida part is the least surprising part of the story. But I won’t be shocked to see the same stuff happening elsewhere. I know some people in this thread think they’re totally safe by playing “private ice,” but it only takes one person. And at this point, I’m not willing to take that risk. If you are, keep on truckin I guess, and I wish you good luck.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Oct 16, 2020