Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

InterrupterJones posted:

:doh: I keep forgetting it doesn't hit PWs. Since the deck already runs thirst as a 4-of, maybe Murderous Rider could be an SB choice
Can you run rider in a lurrus deck? Would you have to move lurry to the sideboard from the companion slot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Boco_T posted:

500 free gold in the store today

They've been doing that frequently recently

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Shrecknet posted:

Can you run rider in a lurrus deck? Would you have to move lurry to the sideboard from the companion slot?

Yeah, it would require not running Lurrus, but against Control I'm not sure how effective Lurrus is. It's a lightning rod for spot removal, be it ECD, Glass Casket, or anything else. Like I said, just a thought.

Side note: does the Arena handle ProCaleb belong to an actual pro Caleb, like Durwald or Scherer? I just played and beat them, and they were pretty highly ranked.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

InterrupterJones posted:

Yeah, it would require not running Lurrus, but against Control I'm not sure how effective Lurrus is. It's a lightning rod for spot removal, be it ECD, Glass Casket, or anything else. Like I said, just a thought.

Side note: does the Arena handle ProCaleb belong to an actual pro Caleb, like Durwald or Scherer? I just played and beat them, and they were pretty highly ranked.

Durward is marbleskull so I don't expect it was him. Also if you need PW spot removal Eat to Extinction is an option. I'm thinking of tossing one or two in the board as Rakdos to see how it plays

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
They've been selling the embossed "colour" sleeves lately and now I'm watching for Embossed Orzhov, which I don't think had been available outside of random rewards before?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Shrecknet posted:

You can main deck or sb lurrus, you can't run lurrus as a companion.

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt
Could someone give me some input on this draft? I'm still feeling very shaky about my drafting and deckbuilding, so any critiques would be appreciated.

Draft
Deck

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

thespaceinvader posted:

That's how I'm expecting the actual gish to be done, but having DFCs which can be one class or the other would make the Party mechanic way more interesting.

Plus Gishes haven't been in a D&D since 3e(?) by that name, so you're more likely to see Arcane Trickster or Eldritch Knight.

I'd like to see that kind of thing, is all I'm saying.

I hope we will, but I somehow doubt it.

Equally, I like the Party mechanic and I'm really hoping that the D&D set will make it good enough for standard.

Yeah I'm super looking forward to limited and format if party is as good as it is to play with in zendikar it's gonna be fun.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I was expecting this to go terribly, actually, but this was my best draft ever by a literally infinite margin! Not only did I win my first game ever, I won three! Here's my draft and deck.

P1P1: Silundi visions, while a totally fine card, is kind of weak. Your first few pick should be looking to take the most powerful thing you see, you can fill in the gaps with cards like visions later. Out of this pack, Lullmage's Domination seems like the most powerful thing. Stealing a creature is like killing your opponent's good creature while casting your own! That's like two cards in one!
P1P2: While Merfolk Windrobber does a lot of different things, it's important to think about what all those things add up to. First of all, a 1/1 flyer. Not very good. It can't really get into combat with other creature without dying, so the best you're going to do is one point of damage a turn, which is kind of slow. If your opponent is doing more damage than that to you, then the Windrobber won't be much help because of the bad at combat thing. So then there's the mill. That's only good if other cards in your deck care about milling. There's a few, but not many. It's really early in the draft so we're unsure whether or not our final deck will profit off of it. Finally, you can sac it to draw a card. That ability is not really a pull either, you're essentially spending one mana and a card to re-draw the card you spent. Compare that to Journey to Oblivion or Umanra wizard, which do much stronger things.
P1P6: Broken wings is more of a sideboard card. It kills 3 different kinds of things, but you won't see things it can target in every game, and if you're facing down a bunch of non-flying creatures, you'll get beaten to death with this card sitting there useless in your hand. Cunning Geysermage is a better card because it will have a use against 100% of the decks you'll play against.

Going to stop there but I could probably go on like this for the rest of the draft. Your card evaluation abilities are way off base (understandable though, everyone starts out at that level). Looking at the end of the first pack, the one thing that stands out is the lack of creatures. Creatures are the cornerstone of limited, the majority of actions you take in a game will be attacking and blocking, so make sure the majority of your cards are good at this.

Congrats on the wins though! Try to pay attention to what works and what doesn't work in your games, same with what your opponent does. Trial and error is a good starting point for learning what cards you should and should not prioritize in draft.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ELI PORTER posted:

Could someone give me some input on this draft? I'm still feeling very shaky about my drafting and deckbuilding, so any critiques would be appreciated.

Draft
Deck

P1P2: Linvala is a very good card, but it's two colors off from your first pick, which means that you can't really play them together. Nullpriest is a bomb though and you're very motivated to play it. I thing anointed healer is a much better pick because it plays very good with your first card. There's also Bala Ged Recovery as the strongest card in a vacuum even though b/g is a very weak color pair.
P1P4 & P1P5: These two picks really clash together. One card wants you to have party members and cards that care about lifegain, and the other is in a color that does not do a good job at filling out party members. I think that both taking individually powerful cards and also trying to maximize blood-priest are two viable lines you could have taken here, but you gotta decide which one you want to do and stick to it, waffling between two disparate strategies leaves you with a lot of wasted picks. Fwiw i would have taken blood-priest and then practiced tactics or banneret in the next pack.
P1P13: Tactics looks really good with the cards you have so far! Mucklord sucks, especially with your pool which really doesn't want more creatures without a party type.
P2P1: No.
Rest of the draft I can't really critique as the basic premise of your strategy is incorrect. Roost is a bomb, and drafting u/b kicker isn't impossible, but that choice forces you to abandon your white, and this in turn makes most your black clerics worse because they won't be nearly as good in a deck that cares about kicker and doesn't care about clerics. We were not getting signals that blue was open, so we're unlikely to see a ton of good kicker cards. And look at the third pack, you got passed a ton of uncommon clerics payoffs! You had the right idea from the start but you got punished for your wandering eye.

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

little munchkin posted:

Rest of the draft I can't really critique as the basic premise of your strategy is incorrect. Roost is a bomb, and drafting u/b kicker isn't impossible, but that choice forces you to abandon your white, and this in turn makes most your black clerics worse because they won't be nearly as good in a deck that cares about kicker and doesn't care about clerics. We were not getting signals that blue was open, so we're unlikely to see a ton of good kicker cards. And look at the third pack, you got passed a ton of uncommon clerics payoffs! You had the right idea from the start but you got punished for your wandering eye.

Thanks, this helps a lot. I think my decision making gets really, really impacted in Pack 1, as I have a very hard time figuring out when I should take (what I think) is the best card on the table (hence taking Scythecat P1P5), and committing to a line and taking a better card for my picks so far.

Seeing what you mean about P1P13, it seems obvious to me now but at that point I had already written off white. Another very bad habit of mine is really not evaluating the last picks in a pack and just taking what I think is playable for my colors.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

ELI PORTER posted:

Thanks, this helps a lot. I think my decision making gets really, really impacted in Pack 1, as I have a very hard time figuring out when I should take (what I think) is the best card on the table (hence taking Scythecat P1P5), and committing to a line and taking a better card for my picks so far.

Scythecat wasn't even the best green card in that pack

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ELI PORTER posted:

Seeing what you mean about P1P13, it seems obvious to me now but at that point I had already written off white. Another very bad habit of mine is really not evaluating the last picks in a pack and just taking what I think is playable for my colors.

yea that tactics at the end of p1 represented a lot. It's a solid card and you're seeing it super late. If you look at the missing cards, people took a lot of junk over it like inordinate rage and utility knife. This means the people passing to you really don't want white cards, so you should expect to see them in pack 3. Even though you don't actually have much good white yet, you'll be rewarded later on if you mentally commit to it now.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
After a run of mediocre draft experiences I had what I thought was kind of a meh draft come together at the end, mostly through the power of ruin crab my favorite blue card in this set. P1P1 was the shatterskull charger, P1P2 the roost of drakes. From there I bounced around several picks trying to feel out blue green kickers but it just wasnt open. Nothing really seemed that open my picks all felt kind of terrible and I limped back into red just because I needed to pick something. P2P1 was a ruin crab which I snapped to get back into blue, the second ruin crab showed up a few picks later. Managed to find a spell shield and bubble snare and then the two relic golems in pack three. Eventually it did seem like blue black was open and I kicked myself for not going that way, a soaring thought thief wheeled pack three. I stayed in red because the landfall enablers and just went all in on the crabs.

Matches were great. Game 6 I paired against a white black clerics deck and after awhile I notice its Mengu09 and that the sleeves are the italian flag. Played the game out, it was very close, and I was able to close it out by finding the second crab and a land with synchronized spellcraft. I wouldnt have been able to hold out another turn or two, and right as I played the last land and put the landfall triggers on the stack, my arena client white screened and crashed.

My laptop is not v good and so I wasn't going to be able to log back in in time to do anything. I decided to pull up Mengucci's stream to see if it was him and indeed it was. I got to watch the end of the game from the other side, mostly with lots of complaining to losing to a disconnected opponent. After the triggers resolved the priority would have passed to his turn with an empty deck and he was sitting there trying to think of a way to give me interaction points so the client would time out on my end. Anyways, it didn't work. And thats my Andrea Mengucci story.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Uh.... is Mythic constructed supposed to be easier than Platinum? People are throwing games like crazy, quitting at the drop of a hat and stuff.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Uh.... is Mythic constructed supposed to be easier than Platinum? People are throwing games like crazy, quitting at the drop of a hat and stuff.

i'd guess that the people that are in Mythic but not shooting for top 1200 are just farting around doing whatever and it's effectively unranked for them

OR

maybe they are shooting for 1200 and if they know it's a bad matchup/long game they'd rather concede to try to grind more games faster to climb the ladder faster

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

Scythecat wasn't even the best green card in that pack

What do you think is, in a vacuum, the best card in that pack? And what should I have taken given what I had?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Magic.gg updated with decklists again, and this batch I can at least picture making the win streaks they're claiming. The meta decks are in there, but so are somewhat-tuned versions of T2 and T3 archetypes.

https://magic.gg/decklists/traditional-historic-ranked-decklists-october-15-2020

Which isn't to say there isn't some truly wild brewing going on. The goblins list they pulled is running 4x Malakir Rebirth (B: return something to the battlefield that died this turn//comes in tapped swamp). Which I guess is cute with like, saccing Muxxus to Tower? Getting in an extra Krenko activation? Generally playing it as a Dive Down?

Standard also exists. These lists look like what you'd see getting random winstreaks in the first week of a format.

https://magic.gg/decklists/traditional-standard-ranked-decklists-october-15-2020

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Got somewhat complimented by Gab Nassif. Time to retire

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I just waltzed my way from Gold to Diamond with a 80% win rate. 100% on UB good packages.

Actually may try to shoot for mythic for once

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

ELI PORTER posted:

What do you think is, in a vacuum, the best card in that pack? And what should I have taken given what I had?

In a vacuum applies more to early picks in a pack, or if you see very strong commons come late while you can still commit. Relic amulet is a huge bomb in u/r wizards but useless to you. Practiced tactics is excellent in u/w party but drops off in a lot of other archetypes. It's much more about what fits your deck, or what fits the deck you could make with the pool you have.

You had 3 black cards, 2 clerics and a removal. From that standpoint, the strongest archetypes you could wind up in were B/W clerics or B/R party (you had no counters cards for b/g and no rogues for b/u). Both your creatures would go well in either deck. your creatures so far are small, so either the shadow stinger could fill your party for blood priest and be a decent blocker, or sea gate banneret could fill your party and pump your creatures. If you had been in b/w already (say, by drafting healer and shelter for picks 2 and 3) I'd go with banneret, but since you hadn't committed to a second color, stinger would probably be the pickup since it would work in B/R as well.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Gridlocked posted:

I just waltzed my way from Gold to Diamond with a 80% win rate. 100% on UB good packages.

Actually may try to shoot for mythic for once

I wish I knew how many people make mythic and what that means as a percentage against the base as a whole. I feel pretty proud about getting there in constructed since I usually just draft, but don't wanna overhype it.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I wish I knew how many people make mythic and what that means as a percentage against the base as a whole. I feel pretty proud about getting there in constructed since I usually just draft, but don't wanna overhype it.

You should just feel proud and not worry about overhype or whatever IMO

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I mean I don't think it's hard to get there.

I just pick a deck that looks good and solid, play it out. When I am in a match I watch the first few cards from the oppo that hit the field and reference MTGGoldfish to see what deck they are most likely on so I know what to play around.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

ELI PORTER posted:

Draft
Deck

Quick notes:

P1P2: Anointed Healer is way better than Linvala after Nulpriest P1, also easier to play.

P1P5: Why the Scythe cat? You're doing a (medium) job at carving out BW already and you take a medium green? Take the 1 mana warrior for your party synergies or the tactics as early removal.

P1P9: Again you're not in red and its not that good a card. Take the Rogue and use it as a party piece or cut it later.

P1P10: I'm on Wrum over Crco. Croc sucks, wurm can be fine filler.

P1P13: You really want the tactics there.

P2P1: There is a blood priest right there.

P2P2: You could be on mono blood priests with a blight priest back up.

I agree with little munchkin, from this point on you're very removed from where you should be. Update your card valuation.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres
I just did a quick draft that went 6-3, but I am wondering if I screwed it up because I ended up in a kind of unsynergistic RW aggro warriors deck. In pack 2, there was the opportunity to shift in to WB clerics which I passed up, and I'm wondering if I should have just jumped on that instead. I also wonder if I should have taken Roil Eruption instead of Rockslide Sorcerer in P1P3. And finally, I wonder if I should have splashed black for Zagras and Deadly Alliance

draft: https://www.17lands.com/draft/8de62d8b729b437fb1b501d345fd3da5
deck: https://www.17lands.com/deck/8de62d8b729b437fb1b501d345fd3da5

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

p1p3 Rockslide probably has an edge over eruption in a dedicated wizards UR deck, but roil eruption is good in literally any red deck so it would be the pick here. Akoum warrior would also probably be the pick over sorceror since it will also slot into any red deck.
p1p5 if you're going r/w cinderclasm doesn't play well with your deck and expedition champion does
p1p6 relic amulet is great in wizards if you've got that deck coming together, but goma fada vanguard is one of the best aggro uncommons and a huge signal that red warriors is the lane that you should be in and it was a mistake to pass it
p1p9 molten blast is a mana or two too expensive for what it does and rarely makes the cut in a finished deck when the draft goes well. night runner and scorch rider are both playable and better picks here.

Once you found your lane you did well, I'd have drafted another vanguard over zagras without any fixing.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

BioThermo posted:

p1p3 Rockslide probably has an edge over eruption in a dedicated wizards UR deck, but roil eruption is good in literally any red deck so it would be the pick here. Akoum warrior would also probably be the pick over sorceror since it will also slot into any red deck.
p1p5 if you're going r/w cinderclasm doesn't play well with your deck and expedition champion does
p1p6 relic amulet is great in wizards if you've got that deck coming together, but goma fada vanguard is one of the best aggro uncommons and a huge signal that red warriors is the lane that you should be in and it was a mistake to pass it
p1p9 molten blast is a mana or two too expensive for what it does and rarely makes the cut in a finished deck when the draft goes well. night runner and scorch rider are both playable and better picks here.

Once you found your lane you did well, I'd have drafted another vanguard over zagras without any fixing.
Yeah, I ended up cutting relic amulet and cinderclasm when I realized they just didn't make sense in my deck. I kept in rockslide - that guy is great even if you don't have many wizards, but yeah I think I'd have been better off with a roil eruption.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
For everyone like me who just wants Doom Foretold to be good

https://twitter.com/masoneclark/status/1316951349712617472?s=21

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Bust Rodd posted:

For everyone like me who just wants Doom Foretold to be good

https://twitter.com/masoneclark/status/1316951349712617472?s=21

I mean, just use it with Lurrus, or a sacrifice based deck?

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I won a postboard game tonight against Esper Doom because I had a Shade and a whole lot of lands. It was pretty fuckin funny

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

DMW45 posted:

A 3/2 creature is a lot easier to deal with than doom foretold

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

one step forward one step back

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Constructed mythic is mostly getting reps in on the ranked ladder. You can netdeck any tier 1 list and grind up even with mediocre win rates. Limited mythic is generally harder to get. You can still grind it to some extent by saving up a lot of gold or bulk buying gems for entry but it's much less consistent than jamming constructed with an optimized deck that does most of the work for you. The irony being that while hitting mythic in limted is harder the tournaments you qualify for are in constructed so if you want to compete it's probably better to just grind ladder to learn the meta and how to pilot your deck :v:

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

DMW45 posted:

They mean play a land every turn to keep recasting the shade. Hardly splinter twin.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Any two cards that interact is a Splinter Twin situation

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
They were too afraid of reprinting Bloodghast so we get a much worse bloodghast. It really is silly how much worse every landfall mechanic this time around is.

Also, can’t you not run Doom Foretold in a Lurrus deck?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Bust Rodd posted:

They were too afraid of reprinting Bloodghast so we get a much worse bloodghast. It really is silly how much worse every landfall mechanic this time around is.

Also, can’t you not run Doom Foretold in a Lurrus deck?

Exactly. But you can run lurrus in a doom deck. It just isn't worth it.

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

BioThermo posted:

In a vacuum applies more to early picks in a pack, or if you see very strong commons come late while you can still commit. Relic amulet is a huge bomb in u/r wizards but useless to you. Practiced tactics is excellent in u/w party but drops off in a lot of other archetypes. It's much more about what fits your deck, or what fits the deck you could make with the pool you have.

You had 3 black cards, 2 clerics and a removal. From that standpoint, the strongest archetypes you could wind up in were B/W clerics or B/R party (you had no counters cards for b/g and no rogues for b/u). Both your creatures would go well in either deck. your creatures so far are small, so either the shadow stinger could fill your party for blood priest and be a decent blocker, or sea gate banneret could fill your party and pump your creatures. If you had been in b/w already (say, by drafting healer and shelter for picks 2 and 3) I'd go with banneret, but since you hadn't committed to a second color, stinger would probably be the pickup since it would work in B/R as well.

Gridlocked posted:

Quick notes:

P1P2: Anointed Healer is way better than Linvala after Nulpriest P1, also easier to play.

P1P5: Why the Scythe cat? You're doing a (medium) job at carving out BW already and you take a medium green? Take the 1 mana warrior for your party synergies or the tactics as early removal.

P1P9: Again you're not in red and its not that good a card. Take the Rogue and use it as a party piece or cut it later.

P1P10: I'm on Wrum over Crco. Croc sucks, wurm can be fine filler.

P1P13: You really want the tactics there.

P2P1: There is a blood priest right there.

P2P2: You could be on mono blood priests with a blight priest back up.

I agree with little munchkin, from this point on you're very removed from where you should be. Update your card valuation.

Thanks guys, definitely appreciate it. Ironically, the first couple of drafts I did I was thinking that I did a poor job of keeping myself open and committing too early.

ELI PORTER fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 16, 2020

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

How are colorless decks doing these days? I've run into a few that seem really effective with just insane ramping and free boardwipes from Ugin. I can't seem to find any decklists though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Unless I'm missing something that just seems like a good synergy for an under-used deck whereas Splinter Twin was literally going infinite?