Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

il serpente cosmico posted:

Ain't no flying cars in Neuromancer.
Are cars themselves a particularly important part?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Are cars themselves a particularly important part?

There are a surprising amount of cars (and combat hovercraft, now that I think about it) in the Sprawl trilogy. There are a lot of scenes set in the backs of cars, and the city structures themselves are intricately detailed. It looks like Cyberpunk 2077 is taking more of its influence from the more grounded and gritty classic William Gibson cyberpunk stuff than it does Blade Runner, as far as I can tell.

The Sprawl trilogy is really good, if anyone is looking for something to read. Neuromancer is the most "classic" of the bunch and it's the first in the series, and it isn't a very big commitment.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 16, 2020

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Sprawl trilogy established the tone and most of the tropes of cyberpunk, although it continued to evolve afterward. Today it'll probably seem dated in a lot of ways but at the time there was not much like it.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

ghostinmyshell posted:

We are back to paying $$$ for tips and hints. 1-900-PS5-HINTS

lmao i bet this will be a legit cool feature at some point, though. Doesn't stop it from from looking real bad.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Card based UIs are some Google-rear end poo poo :barf:

yeah it seems very lazy and uninspired. That's not to say xbone UI is art, but at least they didn't target the mobile app aesthetic.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Long as it is fast and responsive it could look like turds piled on turds.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I actually like the new UI. Though I will say it looks an awful lot like they cribbed a bit from the Nintendo Switch's.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The weirdest complaint I’ve seen about the UI is that it’s “cluttered”. It’s like the complete opposite of that

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

I wonder if our save games on ps5 become activity cards so we can load right into them.

That would be as good, if not better than a quick resume feature since it could be every save file on the console that you could jump to in magic ssd load time

Maybe that is why some of the saves could not cross from ps4 > ps5? New save files for activity based loading?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Loving the new thread title

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Escobarbarian posted:

The weirdest complaint I’ve seen about the UI is that it’s “cluttered”. It’s like the complete opposite of that

The CC is sort of barren, yes, but the pop up UX is bloated with graphic imagery and I sort of hate it :shrug:

It's nowhere near as formally elegant as the PS4 XMB.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
lol @ thread title.

so i'm at: tried fighting vicar amelia and it did not go well so i went the other way and after knocking machine gun kelly off the tower i ended up fighting blood starved beast, and i summoned the npc and a player and the loving player just sat back at the entrance cheering me on, so i slowly walked up to him and booted him from the game, all dramatic like, right before bsb murdered the hell out of me. :negative: so now i dont know where to go, theres that bit that the other side of VA that goes down but those big boys with the big axes are super fast and agile now :eyepop:

how can i only have 12 hours left!?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Thank BP for the title. I saw it and laughed my head off :D

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The CC is sort of barren, yes, but the pop up UX is bloated with graphic imagery and I sort of hate it :shrug:

It's nowhere near as formally elegant as the PS4 XMB.

lot of text too

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vikar Jerome posted:

lol @ thread title.

so i'm at: tried fighting vicar amelia and it did not go well so i went the other way and after knocking machine gun kelly off the tower i ended up fighting blood starved beast, and i summoned the npc and a player and the loving player just sat back at the entrance cheering me on, so i slowly walked up to him and booted him from the game, all dramatic like, right before bsb murdered the hell out of me. :negative: so now i dont know where to go, theres that bit that the other side of VA that goes down but those big boys with the big axes are super fast and agile now :eyepop:

You can go either way at this point. Victor Amelia is the next story thing that marks a big change but you can do both BSB and Hemwick!!!! I believe in you!!!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Vikar Jerome posted:

lol @ thread title.

Take the left side path from the grand cathedral to Hemwick BEFORE you fight Vicar.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Oct 16, 2020

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Vikar Jerome posted:

lol @ thread title.

Just set your weapon on fire and mash attack on her limbs, and try to hit at least two, ideally she won’t get up from being staggered (especially if you use beast blood pellets, but that’s a bit risky), but yeah go to Hemwick Charnel Lane cause you’ll get one of the more important items in the game. Blood Starved Beast isn’t too hard either, bring some pungent blood cocktails which will distract the beast letting you get a bunch of free hits in. Also bring lots of antidotes. And fire works well on the BSB too, cause they’re both beasts.

Practice visceral attacks on the big executors.

Wow I just realized Demon’s Souls will be my first Soulsborne game I’ll be playing at launch (I mean, because it’s online, so not counting Sekiro), meaning I can hopefully get in on a lot of goon co op and invasions :v:
Hopefully they continue the tradition of adding in a pvp arena mode.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Oct 16, 2020

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Take the left side path from the grand cathedral to Hemwick BEFORE you fight Vicar.

i tried the left path but there was a impassable fog gate blocking the way with no interaction so i went right and down. i suspect its because i had a npc summon maybe?

thanks for the tips everyone!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Samurai Sanders posted:

Cars don’t say cyberpunk to me at all unless they can fly.

Corps actually do have flying cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOPAEA-NxMY&t=194s

It's just the poor normies who are stuck to street level, and presumably the smug rich people who want to show off their fancy wheels.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vikar Jerome posted:

i tried the left path but there was a impassable fog gate blocking the way with no interaction so i went right and down. i suspect its because i had a npc summon maybe?

Yeah, that’ll be why. A wonderful FromSoft quirk!

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Got an email from Target saying all my PS5 preordered accessories are shipping Oct 30. Is that a thing?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

KidDynamite posted:

Got an email from Target saying all my PS5 preordered accessories are shipping Oct 30. Is that a thing?

Yeah, Sony said something yesterday or the day before about accessories and peripherals being available earlier.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Lobok posted:

Yeah, Sony said something yesterday or the day before about accessories and peripherals being available earlier.

This is great and makes a lot of sense. It means you can get your setup organized much sooner.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
DS5 works on PS4?

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Rinkles posted:

DS5 works on PS4?

As far as I have seen, there's been no word yet. Maybe?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I actually like the new UI. Though I will say it looks an awful lot like they cribbed a bit from the Nintendo Switch's.

the switch ui is just the ps4 ui, which is the ps3 xmb but horizontal

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Do we know if the glitter and lights in the background of UI is real time or a pre-rendered video?

Also Destruction All Stars didn’t seem to load very quickly in my opinion. It’s ~12 seconds to get to the start screen. Bloodborne takes 15 seconds on my Pro with a no-name SSD. Yeah they are entirely different games that do different different levels of setup (BB is a static screen while DAS is very dynamic) but I was expecting something more like 4 seconds. Also from a player usability standpoint, I can go from no game loaded to running around Yarhnam faster than “instantly” loading into a match in DAS. If you have to fast forward through all the setup, you really need to re-think how much UI you are throwing at the player. (Sack boy, DeS, etc all look great. DAS just looks terrible).

Also I agree with everyone saying it seems unlikely that 3rd parties are going to support the video guides feature outside of showing the 10 seconds of footage captured by QA before they confirmed that trophy support is working. (And I’m not sure how the “instant load to quest objective” is even going to work for a lot of games. What would it even be for something like TLOU or Demon’s Souls? Though as a “parent gamer” I do honestly appreciate the effort to support my 10 minutes of free time between when I’m done with work and the kids get home).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

12 seconds? It looked more like 2.

The actual in game menu looked tedious and overly long though

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 16, 2020

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Destruction All Stars is an online game, no SSD is gonna help when you gotta connect/check for updates/validate profile/etc.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
Games are still going to have loading and connecting screens. Also, these are launch games! Developers will get better at using the new tech as time goes on.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Zerot posted:

Games are still going to have loading and connecting screens. Also, these are launch games! Developers will get better at using the new tech as time goes on.

Oh yeah I think it’s definitely a DAS thing, not a PS5 thing. I imagine no SSD can fix poorly implemented and bottlenecked loading (looking at you Control!).

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Zerot posted:

Yeah as excited as I am about all the launch games and getting to play on a brand new console, im really excited for what PS5 games are gonna look like 3-4 years from now

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Pulcinella posted:

Oh yeah I think it’s definitely a DAS thing, not a PS5 thing. I imagine no SSD can fix poorly implemented and bottlenecked loading (looking at you Control!).

its an online thing. you cant ssd away connecting to a server.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Stux posted:

its an online thing. you cant ssd away connecting to a server.

What does that have to do with startup load times?

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

This thread made me buy a X90(00)h spontaneously after 5 minutes of research. Thanks to me for not having any impulse control, and to the posters for recommending this.

I assume the remote for the TV will make the PS5 media remote redundant?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

You never know

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

fappenmeister posted:

This thread made me buy a X90(00)h spontaneously after 5 minutes of research. Thanks to me for not having any impulse control, and to the posters for recommending this.

I assume the remote for the TV will make the PS5 media remote redundant?

Those who do 5 minutes of research are approximately 95% of Sony TV customers.

(Not a horrible choice really but I can't imagine turning down LG after doing research)

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Those who do 5 minutes of research are approximately 95% of Sony TV customers.

(Not a horrible choice really but I can't imagine turning down LG after doing research)

I have looked at the LG OLEDs in the last few months, but budget was a major factor in the choice I suppose. The LGs cost around AUD$1000 extra last I checked, and the Sony is a bedroom TV for now. I know burn-in isn't a huge deal these days, but also something I didn't want to think about. Definitely something I'm going to look into again when I buy my own place, keen on hooking up my PC to a big screen.

fappenmeister fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 16, 2020

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

On TV talk, I'll say at the moment I'm not itching for HDR. The talk about how it needs to be really bright to look good etc, that's the opposite of my preference. I keep my TV at 50% brightness and backlight, lower sometimes on PC. I take eye comfort and maybe better sleep over this fancy HDR business.

I also keep it on normal (medium) color, even though reference stuff for video tends to be ice cold.

Cool to see the book talk here and in the Cyberpunk topic, I'm still looking to read Burning Chrome and Neuromancer before that game is out next month.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 17, 2020

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Heavy Metal posted:

On TV talk, I'll say at the moment I'm not itching for HDR. The talk about how it needs to be really bright to look good etc, that's the opposite of my preference. I keep my TV at 50% brightness and backlight, lower sometimes on PC. I take eye comfort and maybe better sleep over this fancy HDR business.

I also keep it on normal (medium) color, even though reference stuff for video tends to be ice cold.

Cool to see the book talk here and in the Cyberpunk topic, I'm still looking to read Burning Chrome and Neuromancer before that game is out next month.

The opening sentence of Neuromancer is one that still sticks with me all these years later.

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

On an oled you have the right contrast to not have a searing bright screen backlight but if you got one of the led's that is bright enough for hdr you need to have that fucker so bright that a white splash screen will blind you