Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Also dane swan left a bouncer with permanent injuries and has gone on record saying he has no regrets about it because the situation and fallout helped Dane grow as a person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Cyril Rioli was the first player hit with “potential to cause injury” I think when he threw that punch that missed. And then nobody else got it for a couple of years. Complete horse poo poo. Players throw punches that miss all the time and it just gets laughed at. Oh he’s lucky that didn’t connect! No luck for Cyril. I’m still mad about that.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Here is a completely unrelated thought I just had.

You know how Robbie Muir was branded Mad Dog for his acts of aggression, violence and thuggery on the field. Just as there was Chris Lewis, who I remember being painted a violent angry player by the Victorian media, (I seem to remember he spat at somebody), yet has been called a lovely sweet man by all who played with and knew him. Both of these players, and probably a few more were mocked, denigrated, and villified for being "savage thugs". Both of these players are aboriginal.

Then you have how the media, and the footy public in general are treating Toby Greene and Tom Lynch etc.. One of which has a conviction for Assault, and the other who has multiple times attacked a helpless opponent on the ground. These players are lauded and commended for playing "tough uncompromising" football, and "taking no prisoners" etc. And if they are criticized, then it is the much gentler "white line fever" that gets applied to them. Both of these players are white.

Am I reading too much into it by seeing a racist double standard? Is it a case of "the media landscape/footy public were different back then"?

Yeah it’s racism. I don’t if you missed this article or maybe it’s why you’re thinking about it, but especially in the case of Robert Muir, the racism is irrefutable. Warning: challenging read ahead: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-23/persecution-of-robert-muir-story-football-doesnt-want-to-hear/12553554

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I’m still mad Judd didn’t get rubbed out for elbowing our lord and saviour Pav

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Spedman posted:

I’m still mad Judd didn’t get rubbed out for elbowing our lord and saviour Pav

Hey remember that time Judd tried to dislocate someone's shoulder by grabbing his arm while on the ground and twisting it up and back? Chicken wing tackle I think they called it.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

NPR Journalizard posted:

Hey remember that time Judd tried to dislocate someone's shoulder by grabbing his arm while on the ground and twisting it up and back? Chicken wing tackle I think they called it.

Didn't he scratch at someones face that season as well? I believe they called it a judo pressure hold or something.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Testekill posted:

Didn't he scratch at someones face that season as well? I believe they called it a judo pressure hold or something.

It was eye gouging. I only remember because there was a clip of drunk Brendan Fevola yelling "pressure point pressure point" at Judd at the Brownlow before he was kicked out by the club.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

spamman posted:

It was eye gouging. I only remember because there was a clip of drunk Brendan Fevola yelling "pressure point pressure point" at Judd at the Brownlow before he was kicked out by the club.

Yeah. loving hell that brownlow was absolute bullshit, they kept on falling over themselves to make excuses for Judd.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

GWS AFLW player Jacinda Barclay has died, she was involved in all of the seasons so far of AFLW for the Giants.

From the tone of the article, it...doesn't sound good.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Yeah any time there are links to lifeline and other such services in the article it’s never a good sign. How awful :(

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

North Melbourne senior coach Rhyce Shaw has taken an extended break from coaching for personal reasons and may not return to the job.

North Melbourne cannot say whether Shaw will return and have been making contingency plans for finding a replacement senior coach if his personal situation prevents him from returning to the position.

There is no specific time frame on the duration of his break. North Melbourne have been drawing up a short-list of potential candidates, without actively pursuing any, to be prepared for the prospect of Shaw not coming back to the club.

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
go port :(

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Bruce: He’s on that bench, Graham, isn’t he?

No Bruce, he’s on the loving moon

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
If Ladhams gets suspended for that, against loving Richmond, I'll poo poo my entire arse. Hooley dooley.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

NTRabbit posted:

North Melbourne senior coach Rhyce Shaw has taken an extended break from coaching for personal reasons and may not return to the job.

North Melbourne cannot say whether Shaw will return and have been making contingency plans for finding a replacement senior coach if his personal situation prevents him from returning to the position.

There is no specific time frame on the duration of his break. North Melbourne have been drawing up a short-list of potential candidates, without actively pursuing any, to be prepared for the prospect of Shaw not coming back to the club.

I'd be shocked if he coaches again

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

monolithburger posted:

If Ladhams gets suspended for that, against loving Richmond, I'll poo poo my entire arse. Hooley dooley.

Yeah that was pathetic, tapped him at best and Balta played that up shockingly. Always willing to dish it out Richmond, never to cop it.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

so i just randomly googled afl and saw there was a game on right now and it’s apparently some playoff game?

time to watch this sport I’ve never seen before and have no idea what’s going on

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

sudo rm -rf posted:

so i just randomly googled afl and saw there was a game on right now and it’s apparently some playoff game?

time to watch this sport I’ve never seen before and have no idea what’s going on

Preliminary final. Whoever wins this goes on to the GrandFinal and a shot at the premiership cup. The loser will be mocked until my throat is sore.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

who should I pull for? team black unis looks cool

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

sudo rm -rf posted:

Definitely not the yellow team.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

sudo rm -rf posted:

don't go for the yellow fuckheads whatever you do

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

that dude that just did that kick looks like a loving giant

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Just a reminder Lynch and Cotchin should not be out there tonight

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

you have to kick to score either the goal or the behind right? you can’t carry it or hand pass it or anything?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

sudo rm -rf posted:

you have to kick to score either the goal or the behind right? you can’t carry it or hand pass it or anything?

A 6 point goal has to be kicked yes, if it comes off any other part of the body it's worth 1 point

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

sudo rm -rf posted:

If you carry it over, or handball it through its a behind, even if its through the big middle goal sticks.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

is there anything weird about how out of bounds works with possession of the ball? is just a standard “if you touched it last, other team gets it”?

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

that dude got that free kick because the Richmond player tackled above the shoulder yeah?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

sudo rm -rf posted:

is there anything weird about how out of bounds works with possession of the ball? is just a standard “if you touched it last, other team gets it”?

Nah it can go out fine, but if you delibratly kick it out due to no other option you can give away the freekick/penalty

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

sudo rm -rf posted:

that dude got that free kick because the Richmond player tackled above the shoulder yeah?

Yep. Gotta keep it between the shoulders and the knees if you tackle.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Dang

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

I feel as flat after that as if Essendon had just been knocked out

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

well that was fun, even if the bad guys won

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
at least kochie lost

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

When will the 2020 nightmare stop?

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

are marks hard to get? it seemed like port was batting down passes they could have caught within the Richmond 50m line area

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

7 points would have won it for Port. Lynch kicked 7 points and shouldn’t have been playing. GG AFL, well played.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Yay!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

2020 keeps delivering

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

sudo rm -rf posted:

are marks hard to get? it seemed like port was batting down passes they could have caught within the Richmond 50m line area
It had been raining so the ball was slippery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Razor Ray must’ve hosed up pretty good if he can’t get a gig ahead of those clowns