Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Anyone watching utopia? I am 3 eps in. It's okay I guess?

So just like every other Amazon original, huh?

Excluding The Boys. That one is actually good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Thank you thank you to whoever recommended Taskmaster. I just watched four seasons of it in like six days.

Raspberry Bang posted:

This is mighty rude to The Tick.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Raspberry Bang posted:

True if wasn’t for Patriot or Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. Also does The Expanse count as an Amazon original now?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Yeah, Patriot is my favorite show since forever.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

nate fisher posted:

True if wasn’t for Patriot or Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. Also does The Expanse count as an Amazon original now?
I think The Expanse counts

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Yeah, Patriot is my favorite show since forever.
I love Patriot, apparently there is a special coming at some point?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Ok you had me googling for information on this special. Are you sure you heard/read that somewhere?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I need to finish Patriot. I tried binge watching it, but it's the only show that gets just too heavy/dark for me to do more than a couple episodes in a row. I think I stopped about two episodes into season 2.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Finished Bly Manor. Since there is no thread for it, let me state my problem with it here in as spoiler free as possible:

the problem with the show is that it is a show about rules lawyering ghost rules but the ghost rules are inconsistent and/or make no sense.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

nate fisher posted:

Ok you had me googling for information on this special. Are you sure you heard/read that somewhere?
I had heard of it, not sure where, it's definitely not official

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I like to imagine that the captivated faces of Jamie's audience were actually just horrified that they'd been held hostage in an hour-long deep dive into the minutae of ghost mechanics.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

anatomi posted:

I like to imagine that the captivated faces of Jamie's audience were actually just horrified that they'd been held hostage in an hour-long deep dive into the minutae of ghost mechanics.

It says a lot when I had to figure out who Jamie was from what you said about captive audience. She's not Jamie, she's The Gardener!

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Solice Kirsk posted:

I need to finish Patriot. I tried binge watching it, but it's the only show that gets just too heavy/dark for me to do more than a couple episodes in a row. I think I stopped about two episodes into season 2.

Stick with it, it gets less heavy.though yeah clock out at 2 eps a day.
I also absolutely love patriot , its my favorite "how is this show so good out-of-loving-nowhere".
Shooting in luxembourg, and france was inspired, it gives it a grubby dream like quality.
Our lady of perpetual grace is also good , even if the cast doesnt have the galatic levels of chemestry of the cast of patriot.

AeroZ
Nov 9, 2016

Recently took the time and watched Sopranos. What a great series it was.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I just binged through "Unbelievable" on Netflix and that was absolutely riveting. I haven't been so angry at tv show characters since "When They See Us". If you like to get really angry, just to feel something, anything, I heartily recommend it.

Was there no discussion of this when it came out? If only it had a more searchable title...

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

SimonChris posted:

I just binged through "Unbelievable" on Netflix and that was absolutely riveting. I haven't been so angry at tv show characters since "When They See Us". If you like to get really angry, just to feel something, anything, I heartily recommend it.

Was there no discussion of this when it came out? If only it had a more searchable title...

I remember just randomly clicking on this a couple of months ago and binged the whole thing. So good, and yes, also got angry at the characters.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I've been watching Crazy Ex-Girlfriend on Netflix and find myself gripped. It's in that space that BoJack Horseman got into, but the levity comes from songs in every episode rather than the animal humor.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Season 3 and 4 were mostly terrible, but the last two episodes tied it together pretty well. The first season is still fantastic. It was basically all downhill from there, but it started so high that my connection to the characters let me drag myself through the last couple seasons.

We agree on this, but most people say otherwise.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

AeroZ posted:

Recently took the time and watched Sopranos. What a great series it was.

Thumbs up.

Come read through Jerusalem's writeups if you have time, its a great thread thanks to them.

JOIN USSSSS

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'd be hard pressed to think of a more well acted show, from top to bottom, than The Sopranos.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

FPyat posted:

I've been watching Crazy Ex-Girlfriend on Netflix and find myself gripped. It's in that space that BoJack Horseman got into, but the levity comes from songs in every episode rather than the animal humor.

I love CEX - and like Bojack it hides a very, very serious message under everything else.

Managed to catch a live show last year, it was fantastic.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'd be hard pressed to think of a more well acted show, from top to bottom, than The Sopranos.

Gandolfini gets all the attention but Edie Falco's may be the best performance I've ever seen. She was nominated for both Emmy and Golden Globe every season and won several times.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Watched through the entire series of Children's Hospital. Can't believe it took me that long to get on board with it. Also watched Medical Police....but it wasn't nearly as good.

Now I'm a few episodes into Waco....and it's very interesting.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Watched through the entire series of Children's Hospital. Can't believe it took me that long to get on board with it. Also watched Medical Police....but it wasn't nearly as good.

I really like Children's Hospital. The later seasons weren't so great, but I like the short 10-15 minute time format. The Party Down cameo in it was a nice moment. They also did a little spin-off of the News Readers show.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

RestingB1tchFace posted:

If you haven't watched NTSF:SD:SUV::, try that one next.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

An Ounce of Gold posted:

If you haven't watched NTSF:SD:SUV::, try that one next.

I have watched all of NTSF:SD:SUV. Great show.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Wow, fellow Childrens Hospital fans! That's the show I recommend the most (to anyone with halfway-decent taste in comedy), and still hardly anyone has ever heard of it. I really should binge the whole series from the beginning. I love it so much -- the main cast, the guest stars, the general sense of humor, the show-within-a-show aspect, the surprisingly ambitious and experimental episodes. And very few things make me crack up as much as David Wain as Rabbi Jewy McJewJew antagonizing Glen Ritchie, "MY OLD HEBREW SCHOOL PAL!"

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Been going through Search Party for the first time over the last couple days. Pretty close to finishing S2 now and man, this is pretty heavy. Not really the comedy I was expecting but definitely a very good show.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My wife and I finished 12 Monkeys tonight. What a wild ride. It's the best time travel show ever (sorry, Legends of Tomorrow!) and definitely belongs in the pantheon of best sci-fi shows ever. It was really clever and twisty all the way through, with suitably high stakes, excellent character development, occasional hilarity to break up all the tension, badass moments, good callbacks, and wonderful performances by everybody. If you're looking for a new drama to binge or a new sci-fi show to obsess over, all four seasons are on Hulu. I can't imagine anyone who would generally fall into the target audience for a show like this not loving it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

My wife and I finished 12 Monkeys tonight. What a wild ride. It's the best time travel show ever (sorry, Legends of Tomorrow!) and definitely belongs in the pantheon of best sci-fi shows ever. It was really clever and twisty all the way through, with suitably high stakes, excellent character development, occasional hilarity to break up all the tension, badass moments, good callbacks, and wonderful performances by everybody. If you're looking for a new drama to binge or a new sci-fi show to obsess over, all four seasons are on Hulu. I can't imagine anyone who would generally fall into the target audience for a show like this not loving it.

I love that there are now three different shows that all quality as being the Best Time Travel Show Ever. Twelve Monkeys is operatic and dark, it's the emotional one. And Legends has really succeeded in being one of the best inheritors of the Back To The Future comedy/Californian pulp mix. And Continuum is just ice cold and mean, while also being audaciously silly and weird.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

I love that there are now three different shows that all quality as being the Best Time Travel Show Ever. Twelve Monkeys is operatic and dark, it's the emotional one. And Legends has really succeeded in being one of the best inheritors of the Back To The Future comedy/Californian pulp mix. And Continuum is just ice cold and mean, while also being audaciously silly and weird.

Travelers was another one of the many shows my wife and I binged during the pandemic era. While it was a perfectly fine time travel show and we enjoyed it at the time, there was a lot of annoying secret identity drama, and it pales in comparison to 12 Monkeys.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Oct 19, 2020

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Travelers [...] there was a lot of annoying secret identity drama

It's way funnier if you think of the Director as a Lovecraftian Horror and the Travelers as cultist maniacs.

Cosmic Horror from the perspective of the Horror.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

Don't forget Dark, the existentialist German nightmare one!

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

It's one of my all time favorite shows, easily.

What did you think of the ending? It was pretty much perfect imo

Also, Jennifer Goines is the best

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Game of Thrones. Watching it with someone who never saw it

We just finished the Hardhome episode.

It's still so good. That episode alone made me salivate for more white walker action yet we barely get anything for the next few years. Such a shame

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I just ripped through all of Sex Education and that was a loving hilarious and wholesome trip

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

joepinetree posted:

Finished Bly Manor. Since there is no thread for it, let me state my problem with it here in as spoiler free as possible:

the problem with the show is that it is a show about rules lawyering ghost rules but the ghost rules are inconsistent and/or make no sense.

I really enjoyed watching Bly Manor but there were a ton of plot holes and inconsistencies. It was like it originally written to be set in the 60s then changed to the 80s midway through filming. I was willing to look past almost all of these problems right up until the last 30 minutes of the final episode which felt like it was written by someone who had only been given a brief overview of the rest of the show.

Why were the cast aged up so inconsistently? We saw Jamie and Owen about 10 years after the events of Bly Manor and they had barely aged at all, then at the wedding (a further 10 years on) they had aged way more the supposed 20 years. Uncle Henry was at least 30 years older. Also any gothic horror story which has a character explicitly tell you it "isn't a ghost story, it's a romance" loses points

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Been going through The Feed on Netflix and enjoying it. The review that sold me on it called it a black mirror episode stretched to a season length. It’s more of a slow burn thriller at first as it fleshes out the world and main characters, then things start going sideways and poo poo gets crazy.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

devmd01 posted:

Been going through The Feed on Netflix and enjoying it. The review that sold me on it called it a black mirror episode stretched to a season length. It’s more of a slow burn thriller at first as it fleshes out the world and main characters, then things start going sideways and poo poo gets crazy.

I love a bit of Black Mirror so will be checking this out. Looks like it's on Prime rather than Netflix - is that the same show?

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Carlosologist posted:

I just ripped through all of Sex Education and that was a loving hilarious and wholesome trip

Its such a good show, and every teen caracther has like proper arcs and time to shine, even if the will-they-wont-they kinda wears thin.
Eric is just the best and otis is a mess, marc anthony really did a number on that kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Just getting around to Cobra Kai and I really like it? The episodes are short enough but it’s a nice nostalgia trip.