Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Paying a podcaster enough via patreon that they can do it full time and produce more episodes makes it easier for me to do my actual job. It gives me something else to listen to for staving off the boredom of a job where an mp3 player is fine but youtube is not. So I'm very grateful that they don't "have a real job", otherwise my "real job" would be much worse.

I also usually don't get surprise racism ruining a series the way I do with my other listening option, classic sci-fi and fantasy from audible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Seriously, I've seen similar inane freakouts over the idea of paid Dungeon Mastering. Like if you provide entertainment, can provide better quality entertainment if you have the capital to justify focusing on it more, and people are happy to give you money then why should anyone care? If they're taking advantage of their dedicated fans to cultivate some abusive cult of personality or exploit them in some other awful way, then sure they can gently caress off. But if a decent person can use the income to justify putting out more decent things for other people to enjoy that's a better life than most of us have anyway and I don't see a reason to stop that unless you really want to be a bitter crab in a bucket.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I never really thought of paid GMings as normal just because I only play with people who are already close friends. So we generally pitch in to buy any equipment someone in the group might need. But if I was DMing for more distant people, I'd sure as hell demand people help pay for stuff.

On the TTRPG front though being subscribed to map makers on patreon has made GMings way way easier. Instead of scouring reddit for stuff of mediocre quality or buying each and everything off drivethruRPG I can get it all in a big RSS feed. Czepeku in particular are excellent. Whole bunch of variants on everything to make any given map more likely to be applicable to a given locale or plot point.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Leal posted:

I called slowbeef a sellout directly to him, I already said my piece there. Don't you worry.

E: I also brought it up a few times in the SALP discord so again, don't worry. They know

selling out to who

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Leal posted:

Then there is people who earn money typically want to keep earning that money, and tend to start focusing on certain aspects to play up to their money paying audience which just gets tedious. I know someone is gonna say something to the effect of "jeeze appealing to the people that pay your rent?" but thats my point, it doesn't nullify my point that people who start accepting money act in certain ways to continue getting that money. I can express disdain for people playing up a crowd rather then playing a game. And again, at that point it isn't engaging with the community, just select members of the community who are giving money

sorry to pick and pull at your post but is your problem that people are fostering communities that do not respect the game that they are playing appropriately and instead are paying to support the person who is playing the game because they like their personality?? do you get mad when bands hold concerts or authors sign books or artists do conventions.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kim Justice posted:

TBH there's no reason to CURRENT YEAR this either. It's a perfectly correct thing to do no matter what, has been for years. Many years. Hell, I can think of a certain Tool song from the 90's with a problematic title that I'm itching to post, for it still sums up arseholes like Leal perfectly.

i mean sure but leal's sentiment is particularly loving ghoulish given it's COVID times

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

paid Dungeon Mastering
Honestly hats off to anyone who feels confident enough in GMing to charge money for it. Wish I had that kind of confidence.

e; Also Leal I read your post and I'm not picking and choosing bits of it when I say you're very preoccupied with how other people monetize their hobbies. And that no one cares.

Hell personally I would never monetize anything I do because my hobby becoming the thing I have to do for a living sounds awful. But that's just a personal choice.

Gwen fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 16, 2020

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Terrible Opinions posted:

I never really thought of paid GMings as normal just because I only play with people who are already close friends. So we generally pitch in to buy any equipment someone in the group might need. But if I was DMing for more distant people, I'd sure as hell demand people help pay for stuff.

On the TTRPG front though being subscribed to map makers on patreon has made GMings way way easier. Instead of scouring reddit for stuff of mediocre quality or buying each and everything off drivethruRPG I can get it all in a big RSS feed. Czepeku in particular are excellent. Whole bunch of variants on everything to make any given map more likely to be applicable to a given locale or plot point.

That'd sound pretty normal to me, too. And it really is amazing that Patreon and Kickstarter have been the first time a significant number of people can sort of monetize tabletop rpg writing and design aspects without financially ruining themselves. It's done a ton of good for getting independent talent out there and especially disadvantaged creators who could never produce much otherwise. It sucks they have to be dependant on those models now, but it's a step above not being able to enter the space at all.

BFC posted:

Honestly hats off to anyone who feels confident enough in GMing to charge money for it. Wish I had that kind of confidence.

Right? I certainly couldn't but like if you're that good or the people paying for it are happy then I certainly have no room to complain.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Hypothetically, if an LPer with a Patreon suddenly cancels an LP (and there are plenty of examples of LPs being cancelled in these forums), would the Patrons who contributed because of that LP feel like they got ripped off?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mraagvpeine posted:

Hypothetically, if an LPer with a Patreon suddenly cancels an LP (and there are plenty of examples of LPs being cancelled in these forums), would the Patrons who contributed because of that LP feel like they got ripped off?

Ask Proton Jon.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Seriously, I've seen similar inane freakouts over the idea of paid Dungeon Mastering. Like if you provide entertainment, can provide better quality entertainment if you have the capital to justify focusing on it more, and people are happy to give you money then why should anyone care? If they're taking advantage of their dedicated fans to cultivate some abusive cult of personality or exploit them in some other awful way, then sure they can gently caress off. But if a decent person can use the income to justify putting out more decent things for other people to enjoy that's a better life than most of us have anyway and I don't see a reason to stop that unless you really want to be a bitter crab in a bucket.

It always baffles me that folks seem to get most upset over people asking for money for the stuff that is the most optional stuff. I mean, I guess I could see being judgmental at what "useless" things people spend money for, maybe, but why be angry at the creators?

Like shouldn't we be angry that in order to not starve to death we need to pay money? There's no choice there, it's pay or die. Same with health care (for the uninsured in the US), shelter, clean water etc. Shouldn't that be the thing we're mad at, not if someone wants to optionally pay a guy to entertain them and their friends for one night a week? Why should we ever be mad that the most optional things in life name their price and benefit the creator? Like, the only corner case I can see here is when entertainment and artist support cross into exploiting parasocial relationships or addiction but otherwise, more power to the creator.

It's almost like media conglomerates profiting off of creators are happy to maintain a constant trope in media to portray artists demanding money as selling out and therefore bad, keeping an endless pool of underpaid entertainment for them to make more money from. Funny that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The thread is only now coming to terms with leal being a dipshit

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

tbh most "real jobs" are significantly more worthless than making LPs. Google exists to sell marketing information that is basically just superstition and astrology in terms of what it actually does for increasing sales. Same for the overwhelming majority of tech companies. Like you gotta put bread on the table but most computer toucher jobs are working toward a fundamentally worthless end. Even if you are doing real effort to achieve the worthless result.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 16, 2020

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Leal posted:

I called slowbeef a sellout directly to him, I already said my piece there. Don't you worry.

E: I also brought it up a few times in the SALP discord so again, don't worry. They know

This is an outrageously lovely thing for you to have done, and I hope you understand that.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Leal posted:

Ok

E: glad everyone called you a dumbass. Cuz goddamn you are loving stupid lol

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Aaaaanywho, Slowbeef seems like a really cool and humble dude. He's cool in my book :unsmith:

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Oct 16, 2020

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Jamie Faith posted:

Aaaaanywho, Slowbeef seems like a really cool and humble dude. He's cool

Forever grateful for the efforts he put into getting snatcher translated

sad question
May 30, 2020

CYBEReris posted:

if you don't like the performance you don't have to throw a coin in the accordion player's tip hat

I can't believe accordion player sold out like that.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Ok

E: glad everyone called you a dumbass. Cuz goddamn you are loving stupid lol

Completely apropos of nothing, hot drat am I glad I'm no longer of an LP mod.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Shola taking shots at Brad seemed bitter to me (and linking it to Trump is a huge leap), though I have no problem with anything else she quite rightly brought up. And this is not really a defence of Brad but I don't think that many people watched Bon Apetit to replicate recipes or to learn something. A whole lot of people are there to be entertained.

It's Alive was some little thing that Brad did and it became really popular. Is it really that hard to believe that his kitchen chaos is a lot more identifiable to people watching than say, Chris' professionalism?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Completely apropos of nothing, hot drat am I glad I'm no longer of an LP mod.

Really? I woulda used those powers to redtext and mock the gently caress out of Leal for that nonsense. Give them a badge of shame they couldn't get rid of without paying Lowtax and looking worse.

Seriously Leal, what you're saying is not just stupid it's morally loving gutless. You entitled little loving grub.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Forever grateful for the efforts he put into getting snatcher translated

Snatcher was translated. It even had a hilarious dub. Are you thinking of Policenauts?

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Yhara Zayd- "A Monstress Comes of Age: Horror & Girlhood"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkUbP2KVVl8

Jose- "Yo Holmes to Bel Air, A Retrospective of The Fresh Prince of Bel Air"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaLT_91UnRE

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

ngl, from the side of someone who actually like made lp content once upon a time, I could not bring myself to ever be paid for it. Sure, I put in a shitload of time and cared a ton about the quality and all that, but like, nobody should be subjected to the trash I put out. I feel enough guilt right now knowing that people watched that stuff for free.

Obvs not to like defend leal or anything, or say it's a universal experience, but just kinda looking back on it and goddamn is it frustrating. I wouldn't wish making stuff on anyone really, even if it's stuff they enjoy.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

who gives a gently caress

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

fun hater posted:

selling out to who

Ummm ever heard of a little thing called THE MAN???

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
For those who are into the How to Cook That debunking videos there is another one up where Anne also goes over a Google shitfight with the Australian Government.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgHbBUnNfl8

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I was going to write a big post about why some people do care very much about internet patreon accounts and artistic endeavors, as well as its relation to really lovely community mentalities generally forged in 4chan and 4chan adjacent places but afte reading the past few pages to catch up I'll just leave it at:

who gives a gently caress

Jamie Faith posted:

Aaaaanywho, Slowbeef seems like a really cool and humble dude. He's cool in my book :unsmith:

Slowbeef made some of my favorite content on this site and I still love his and Diabeetus' Dead to Rights and Metroid Prime LPs, and that poo poo isn't going to really go away anywhere, however dated it is. And I'm glad they seem to have just moved on with their lives to focus more on family and career or whatever.

Completely unrelated but I've just been watching yu-gi-oh youtubers all day and I still don't know what the hell the difference between "OCG" and "TCG" are.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Nuebot posted:

Completely unrelated but I've just been watching yu-gi-oh youtubers all day and I still don't know what the hell the difference between "OCG" and "TCG" are.

OCG is basically the Japanese format while TCG is North American/European format. Different card pools/ban lists between the two.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The OCG is the Japanese game while the TCG is the international version. Either of them can have exclusive cards that the other does not have (yet) which means they need separate banlists. Also sometimes they rule differently on interactions between the same goddamn cards for some reason.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I like some of the videos where Slowbeef and Diabetus mock a game rather than the person playing it.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I love their videos for the first theee Alone in the Dark games and Darkseed. There’s so much goofy poo poo for them to react to, it’s great.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The OCG is the Japanese game while the TCG is the international version. Either of them can have exclusive cards that the other does not have (yet) which means they need separate banlists. Also sometimes they rule differently on interactions between the same goddamn cards for some reason.
The OCG also includes Korea and English releases for South East Asia.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Is there an international YGO tournament scene, or is everything strictly national/regional? This sounds like an absolute nightmare to deal with if that's the case

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

bessantj posted:

I like some of the videos where Slowbeef and Diabetus mock a game rather than the person playing it.

The Ambition stuff led to some of the funniest videos they've ever done, in my opinion.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I laughed so hard when they were watching some Super Mario 64 video played on a Mac emulator so it ran at like 10 FPS and I can't remember who but they called it a "tool assisted slow run".

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I think part of the issue when you start paying people for lps / twitch streaming is that nine times out of ten they slowly start to inhabit a character and you lose the genuineness that comes from it just being 'a thing they do'. Like, you start performing to meet audience expectations to keep getting paid, you know?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

How would we know about Bowsers Evil Test without Slowbeef?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Dragonatrix posted:

The Ambition stuff led to some of the funniest videos they've ever done, in my opinion.

I really liked their Last Alert video(s).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Shinji2015 posted:

Is there an international YGO tournament scene, or is everything strictly national/regional? This sounds like an absolute nightmare to deal with if that's the case

There are world championship tournaments, and from what I can tell they have their own banlist (a combination of the other two, using the lowest number of allowed cards in each case)

It should also be noted that some cards that are legal in america are still not legal in europe because of the stupidest rule ever.
(Some cards came as promos in magazines/manga books and not every country in europe officially sells them, so sucks to be you ALL of europe)