Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
darkja has to be the single dumbest thing an enemy can do in a final fantasy game

i'm mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ventana posted:

^^^ Yeah, it's definitely the visuals for me that tricked me

I don't play FF14 but just looking at the video, I don't think it's really obvious in context, since yeah my first instinct is "oh I guess the gaps in the circles are my weak points". So :shrug:

That's what I'm saying! Unless you already know what to do, it's really not obvious.

Help Im Alive posted:

Combine the gap attack with that one Eden boss who delays their abilities for maximum confusion imo

Honestly even this one isn't as bad; you at least get the clock animations and such.

The one attack that makes me panic and lose my focus entirely is the voidgates on E6 or E7. "poo poo, I'm white now so I gotta stand where the black will hit, but wait poo poo the black is then gonna come out of the red voidgate, but at that point I will have switched to black so I need to go to the blue voidgate I think?????"

Like, it's not mega-complicated, it just completely flusters me sometimes for some reason.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Violen posted:

darkja has to be the single dumbest thing an enemy can do in a final fantasy game

i'm mad

Zodiark? Jerk fish will use it more if have all three characters immune to dark.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
I just killed Gilgamesh in FFXII and boy that fight was an utter ballache. I think it took the better part of an hour with a 2-healer 1-BLM setup just to survive how brutal he was. Oh and because I'm anal about my levelling, nobody's level was a prime number, meaning getting hammered by status effects.

Now I'm out of hunts I guess it's time to go back to the port and speak to Phil LaMarr pirate for more story. Still kinda undecided on how I feel about the plot, because political intrigue/drama is something that is usually my jam but I'm just kind of lukewarm towards it and waiting for a "woah!" Moment.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Mustached Demon posted:

Zodiark? Jerk fish will use it more if have all three characters immune to dark.

he'll use it in increasingly frequent intervals even without that and its a 1/16 instant active party wipe roll in the best case scenario

i think the only comparably stupid move is meteor when used by ozma in ff9 with bad damage rolls so take your pick on whether it's stupider to you to scramble out your b-team before another wipe or hope for a 40% chance phoenix summon if youre a grind fiend

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i may or may not be lashing out bc i lost 3 shelled characters and then 2 reserve shelled characters in 2 casts during the paling stage and just couldnt control the bleeding

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Violen posted:

i may or may not be lashing out bc i lost 3 shelled characters and then 2 reserve shelled characters in 2 casts during the paling stage and just couldnt control the bleeding

I hear ya. Beat him last week I think after 5-6 attempts. Such a dumb move.

I'm now doing the great crystal now. Much easier now that genji gear vaan tears regular enemies apart.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

The worst part is I definitely reset Zodiark not just because of the instant death bullshit but because I also tried to steal the invisible one-handed sword from him. I eventually had a run where I both got the sword and won, but it took me some time. I still consider that easier than resetting a diamond armlet treasure chest.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
how about an invisible promptless diamond armlet chest w/ an 80% gil rate and 1% spawn rate

could you imagine

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I still have no idea why they thought this made sense

At least it's not Larboard Spin.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Mega64 posted:

The trick to beating a L1 playthrough of FF9 is catching 9999 frogs.

Look, you're going to have to level up something, and that something is either going to be your material strength or the strength of your love for frogs.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Or a whole bunch of stealing :v:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Bruceski posted:

At least it's not Larboard Spin.

Mustadio's weakness aiming was one patch after Larboard Spin, which was one patch after Mathbot.

Stormblood had expectations of us, and we failed them.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014
Freya has one that scales off dragon kills too right?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Meridian posted:

Freya has one that scales off dragon kills too right?

Yeah, for that you'd need to get level 5 death and then zombie on your dudes to not get xp and head to that spot above the grotto. Also I guess the coral ring

E: For the level 1 thing. Remove zombie and get mad xp

Leal fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 16, 2020

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

DeadButDelicious posted:

Now I'm out of hunts I guess it's time to go back to the port and speak to Phil LaMarr pirate for more story. Still kinda undecided on how I feel about the plot, because political intrigue/drama is something that is usually my jam but I'm just kind of lukewarm towards it and waiting for a "woah!" Moment.

By that point the intrigue is done, it's "diplomacy has failed, get the nukes" with varying levels of people being okay with that. After Bur-Omisace Plan A is pretty much over and it's on to plan B. Or plan Pu, rather.

There's still some good character moments so drama's not off the table, but don't sit there waiting for intrigue to come back in.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Bruceski posted:

By that point the intrigue is done, it's "diplomacy has failed, get the nukes" with varying levels of people being okay with that. After Bur-Omisace Plan A is pretty much over and it's on to plan B. Or plan Pu, rather.

There's still some good character moments so drama's not off the table, but don't sit there waiting for intrigue to come back in.

Yeah, Bur-Omisace was a heck of a gut punch. I think I shot myself in the foot by getting sucked into the bazaar shenanigans and hunts because I'd leave the plot for sometimes 2-3 days to go farm stuff or tackle hunts, or remember areas that kicked my arse the first time so I'd go back and re-explore them for treasure.

Overall I think I like the mechanics of the game - the license board, the battles, gambits (although I wish they had a little more depth like "enemy has item" to set up an auto steal gambit or "buff missing" to reapply libra or float). It's fun to play but jury's out on the plot. Hopefully now that I've cleared my hunts (for now) I can just focus on the story and form a stronger opinion.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

DeadButDelicious posted:

Yeah, Bur-Omisace was a heck of a gut punch. I think I shot myself in the foot by getting sucked into the bazaar shenanigans and hunts because I'd leave the plot for sometimes 2-3 days to go farm stuff or tackle hunts, or remember areas that kicked my arse the first time so I'd go back and re-explore them for treasure.

Overall I think I like the mechanics of the game - the license board, the battles, gambits (although I wish they had a little more depth like "enemy has item" to set up an auto steal gambit or "buff missing" to reapply libra or float). It's fun to play but jury's out on the plot. Hopefully now that I've cleared my hunts (for now) I can just focus on the story and form a stronger opinion.

12's kinda fascinating because it's perfectly happy to let you go play around and explore and forget what the heck's going on with the plot in a way that I'm not sure any other game did aside from FF9 chocographs. Even the first half of 15 pretty much left you with a single zone and a quest marker at one end instead of letting you veer of into God-knows-where to get eaten by something 50 levels above you. Very "choose your own pacing" as a result. And the plot itself lags in the middle even without that; it wasn't until someone on here made an effortpost defending the existence of Vaan after the end of Act 1 that I realized I'd never actually finished the game and went back for the final dungeon and some plot beats that really tie the whole thing together.

For gambits reapplying buffs you can just do Self --> Libra and the like, I believe. It won't try to do them unless there will be an effect. Sadly steal doesn't work the same way, that's on pretty much everyone's quibble list.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Bruceski posted:

For gambits reapplying buffs you can just do Self --> Libra and the like, I believe. It won't try to do them unless there will be an effect.

Correct. This also applies to Remedy Lore and stuff.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

You two just blew my mind with that libra gambit. I did not know this. I assume it works for things like Protectga and Float as well?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

DeadButDelicious posted:

You two just blew my mind with that libra gambit. I did not know this. I assume it works for things like Protectga and Float as well?

Lure, Shell, Protect, Float, all that good stuff

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Leal posted:

Yeah, for that you'd need to get level 5 death and then zombie on your dudes to not get xp and head to that spot above the grotto. Also I guess the coral ring

E: For the level 1 thing. Remove zombie and get mad xp

Jesus. gently caress that.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Someone mentioned it earlier in the thread I believe, but Steal not working perfectly with gambits was an intentional decision to make stealing items still feel exciting.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

I guess it was exciting to hold off on pushing Gilgamesh to a new phase of the fight while Fran failed to steal from him over and over again, until I got fed up and just went for it.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010

Leal posted:

What if you mix the best scene from FFX with the best song from FFVIII?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBuUsODscSs
Thanks for introducing this to me, because I've now discovered all the others and the Dancing Mad cover has broken my brain.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
FFX has a crapton of stuff to do sidequest wise. It's almost too much.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Violet_Sky posted:

FFX has a crapton of stuff to do sidequest wise. It's almost too much.

And also literally none of it is good so why bother.

Monster capturing and the Omega Ruins are okay I guess but that's it. I love FFX to pieces but it was best when it was on rails.

Speaking of FFX's flaws, I mentioned earlier using Yuna in my main party and somebody suggested teaching her black magic. The problem here is that Lulu's grid is awful. Yuna ends up way, way stronger than Lulu by going down her white magic path. So if I sent Yuna down Lulu's path, she'd end up weaker for it even as I'm trying to maker her into my offensive caster. So dumb.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

That's why you don't take her down Lulu's path, and instead use Black Magic spheres to teach her spells others have already activated.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah Lulu exists to go activate black magic spheres so Yuna can steal them.

Alternately, in expert mode, send Yuna down a heavy strength grid and laugh and how much gol dang damage her summons deal since they scale off strength and she isn't supposed to have any.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

NikkolasKing posted:

And also literally none of it is good so why bother.

Monster capturing and the Omega Ruins are okay I guess but that's it. I love FFX to pieces but it was best when it was on rails.

Speaking of FFX's flaws, I mentioned earlier using Yuna in my main party and somebody suggested teaching her black magic. The problem here is that Lulu's grid is awful. Yuna ends up way, way stronger than Lulu by going down her white magic path. So if I sent Yuna down Lulu's path, she'd end up weaker for it even as I'm trying to maker her into my offensive caster. So dumb.

You can just use a Teleport sphere to bring Yuna down Lulu's path in reverse and annihilate everything that way.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

His appearance is where FF:T starts to taper off for me a bit, probably because it starts focussing more and more on the Zodiac stuff.

It's still one of my favourite games.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Vichan posted:

His appearance is where FF:T starts to taper off for me a bit, probably because it starts focussing more and more on the Zodiac stuff.

It's still one of my favourite games.

There's a while where the Lion War / political intrigue is still intertwined with the Zodiac Stones. But by late game that's all background noise to Lucavi Ghostbusters. Delita's story is much more interesting and I wish we got a branching gameplay option to see that half of the plot.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

One of the fun things FFXIV does with the Tactics story is revealing that after Algus/Argath died he turned into a zombie Lucavi demon (Duma) and went insane and declared himself rightful king of Ivalice (and of course you have to fight him)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

o hey neat, I guess:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Hoping we get VIIIRR after VIIR is completed

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Help Im Alive posted:

I am not sure which one of these is more unlikely

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Help Im Alive posted:

after VIIR is completed

lol

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Snow Cone Capone posted:

o hey neat, I guess:
That double line spine is, wow.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Help Im Alive posted:

Due to a typo, SE accidentally makes and releases FFVIIIR instead of part two of VIIR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JagerNinja
Sep 13, 2011

Steely-eyed Missile of a Man
So I started a new FFXV save on the PC version last night, and it's been good alright so far. It is annoying how much the side quests and hunts devolve into "run across this open and mostly empty area, and then run back;" I'm not sure how I put up with that in my first playthrough. I'll probably drop more money on Chocobo rentals this time.

Something I never put together before: Noctis leaves Insomnia to go to Altissia to meet with Lunafreya. Ok, that makes sense. But after the attack on Insomnia, you see that Lunafreya was actually in Insomnia all along? That does track, she arrived with the Imperials for the treaty signing (I think?) but it just seems kind of silly that they missed each other by minutes.