Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Real hurthling! posted:

on next gen games is the test i want to see

Microsoft would have to announce some first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rad Valtar posted:

lol

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

are those exhaust temps not internal temps?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

are those exhaust temps not internal temps?

Does it matter? There's only one place for the heat to go.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Does it matter? There's only one place for the heat to go.

More heat out means less heat in sometimes

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

ya i mentioned it elsewhere but we only have exhaust temps with short session times atm. moving up to a more powerful gpu will cause it to use far less power to do the same work as older tech

the lack of a proper native series x title will impede testing. reviewers were saying they only had dirt 5 to work with until a couple of days ago when gears 5 was made compatible with the console

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Rad Valtar posted:

Lmfao

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Seltzer posted:

The menu is fast and you can just click my games and apps and pins and have the 20+ things that you might want to select up to choose from in under half a second (you add your own pins).... Much to do about nothing

Is the PS4 menu slow?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Thom12255 posted:

Is the PS4 menu slow?

It's awful

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Thom12255 posted:

Is the PS4 menu slow?

Ya can be

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

PS4 menu is the slowest menu I have ever used. And I have used many menus, let me tell you.

I have a launch version though.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
My favorite part of the PS4 UI is when I get a trophy and think: hmm I wonder what what was for? And then immediately regret pressing the button since it takes 75 years to load the trophy UI and then the individual text itself.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

1glitch0 posted:

Right? Of all my concerns in the world, video games or otherwise, the Xbox MENU not being in 4k is the very very least of my concerns.

After upgrading to a 4K OLED the blurry dashboard really bothers me tbh and is especially jarring when swapping from a 4K game.

I hope they do make it native 4K this time.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
PS4 menu isn’t good but I’d take it over the PS3 menu any day

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1317138233063542784

Kotaku's Stephen Totilo has a great interview with Phil Spencer that is worth reading. Some excerpts:

On the Series S:

quote:

At launch, Spencer expects the X to be the hotter seller, driven by the kinds of early adopters who snatch new consoles. Though he also noted that demand for the new Xboxes and the other new November console, the PlayStation 5, will cause everything to fly off store shelves in the early going.

“I think we’ll sell every unit of both of them that we can deliver,” he said, referring to this first holiday season. Microsoft isn’t releasing estimates of how many units they’ll ship of either device this year, but he expects them to go fast. “I think demand is just going to outstrip supply of pre-orders. For us and PlayStation, I think that the manufacturing supply chain is going to dictate [market] share more than anything else.”

And then?

“I think, over the generation, our expectation would be that price really matters and that you would see the Series S sell more,” Spencer told me.

quote:

He acknowledged the additional labor that is being put on developers to design for the S and X specs. “But absolutely, it is work. There’s no doubt about that. The fact that you have two performance specs now, I’m not going to stand here or try to PR somebody and say two different specs is the same as having one spec. It’s not. We’re doing this because we want to expand the market.”

Expanding the market is a reference to simply selling more next-gen consoles faster, because the machine doesn’t cost a full $500. Even Sony is dabbling with that, offering its new PS5 at $500 but also launching a $400 version that has the same specs but won’t have a disc drive. Microsoft’s approach is more radical. The company is gambling that the power cut isn’t as significant as the much lower price. In fact, Spencer said that the Series S could be an effective lure for lapsed Xbox 360 fans who may have skipped the Xbox One or even switched to PlayStation. Even if they go buy a PS5, he thinks the Series S might offer some appeal. “Maybe buying two $500 consoles is going to be a difficult thing, so we said, ‘Hey, let’s make sure we’ve got something to catch a second-[console] owner.’”

On Bethesda exclusivity:

quote:

“Is it possible to recoup a $7.5 billion investment if you don’t sell Elder Scrolls VI on the PlayStation?” I asked.

“Yes,” Spencer quickly replied.

On bringing xCloud to Xbox One:

quote:

It was refreshing to hear that Spencer also sounds committed to bringing xCloud to Xbox One, letting current gen Xbox owners play next gen games without buying a new box.

“When we think about Xbox One, absolutely, we think it could be a good way for us to bridge generations and be able to let people play those games,” Spencer said. He put it behind PC and iOS in terms of priorities. “I don’t think it’s years off,” he said. “It’s just work to get done. We know how to do it.”

Most importantly, on bringing back the best Xbox 360 feature to the new generation:

quote:

On whether the Series S and X will remember on a system level whether the player inverts Y: The Xbox 360 did this, but the Xbox One did not. Spencer said he’d look into it for me. A day later, an Xbox spokesperson shared this update: “This is not functionality available at launch and while we don’t have current plans for this, we’re always listening to fan and developer feedback to inform future updates.”

C'mon!!

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Zerot posted:

On Bethesda exclusivity:

quote:

We have xCloud and PC and Game Pass and our console base, I don’t have to go ship [Bethesda] games on any other platform other than the platforms that we support in order to kind of make the deal work for us. Whatever that means.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hes not taking the easy win of saying its xbox only. Hes making the question be about what he is forced or not forced to do to make money back

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Saying it's Xbox only isn't really a win though, especially in the court of internet reactionaries. They'll absolutely be Xbox (and PC and xCloud) only going forward though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its an exciting time to wait and see

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Imagine paying 7 billion dollars for that many bad games.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rad Valtar posted:

Please don't doxx my Switch purchase history

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Rad Valtar posted:

Prey's good and worth 10 billion on its own.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I don't really know how publishing vs. developing works, so does Bethesda have the rights to Prey instead of Arkane?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

morallyobjected posted:

I don't really know how publishing vs. developing works, so does Bethesda have the rights to Prey instead of Arkane?

Bethesda (or more accurately parent company Zenimax) own Arkane

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

morallyobjected posted:

Microsoft bought everything.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

prey didnt do very well despite it being insanely good

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Bethesda (or more accurately parent company Zenimax) own Arkane

ah, okay. I looked up Arkane to see if that was maybe the case but I didn't know Zenimax owned them both

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Oct 17, 2020

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

quote:

He acknowledged the additional labor that is being put on developers to design for the S and X specs. “But absolutely, it is work. There’s no doubt about that. The fact that you have two performance specs now, I’m not going to stand here or try to PR somebody and say two different specs is the same as having one spec. It’s not. We’re doing this because we want to expand the market.”

Big difference from 2013 just before the launch of Xbox One, where he was trying to spin all sorts of horse poo poo that simply was not true, or wasn't a good idea.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

morallyobjected posted:

ah, okay. I looked up Arkane to see if that was maybe the case but I didn't know Zenimax owned then both

They own id as well so they have a fairly big stranglehold on good console FPS games :whitewater:

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Stux posted:

prey didnt do very well despite it being insanely good

I think Gamepass will really help games like Prey do better.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

We are going to see a couple companies jocky to be the disney ip holding corp of videogames.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Thom12255 posted:

I think Gamepass will really help games like Prey do better.

this is interesting because it will certainly get more eyes on prey and any follow ups but will it also alter their development goals/scope etc to play to gamepass's strengths vs continuing to make long single player immersive sims?
changing the business model potentially impacting the way the product is designed like how halo is a 10 year journey with f2p multiplayer is going to be something cool to follow with a lot of strange creations until the winning model is hit on.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I applaud the balls it takes to even threaten making the big beth games actually exclusive. I hope they do it.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I can't imagine any new Bethesda stuff will be on ps5. By "case by case basis" I assume Phil means sometimes Switch as usual.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
https://twitter.com/DoubleFine/status/1317184552641724416

Three great games coming to Game Pass.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

I said come in! posted:

Big difference from 2013 just before the launch of Xbox One, where he was trying to spin all sorts of horse poo poo that simply was not true, or wasn't a good idea.

Phil Spencer was? He’s a golden god and I can’t picture him being acting but 100% genuine

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Well he was just following the company line back then, now he's in charge of the line and he's been more open to people (and making good decisions that you don't have to hide anyway).

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Full throttle might be one of the easiest adventure games ever but it's still one of the best.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I can't imagine any new Bethesda stuff will be on ps5. By "case by case basis" I assume Phil means sometimes Switch as usual.

if any bethesda stuff is on ps5 theyre stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Stux posted:

ps5 theyre stupid

Played more halo today, bloody love it