Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

dorium posted:

is that Lupin flick any good? is the Shout release 4K?

im very interested because I love the art style they chose for it.

I don't know, but I'm very interested, too. The release is not 4K, it's a regular blu-ray, and a regular blu-ray in a steelbook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

King Vidiot posted:

While I don't doubt that Red State, Tusk, Yoga Hosers, and J&SB Reboot probably definitely suck, Kevin Smith's earlier comedies are watchable even at their worst. I just don't know that I'd ever rewatch any of his movies. :shrug:

I can’t speak to the rest, but Red State was a lot better than I expected it to be.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I think Red State was him going "I have a really compelling idea, but I'm burned out by The Hollywood System... maybe I can find another way of funding it".

Tusk was pure "lol I got really high and imagine this premise for a movie.. gimme money and I'll make it happen!"

YogaHosers was pure "I need to get my kid in a movie", though he also threw a bone to his longtime Hollywood Babble-On cohost, Ralph German, whose comedic talents and impressions were employed terribly.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I'm selling some Criterion/Arrow blu odds and ends over in SA-Mart if anyone's interested.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I don't know if I should be ashamed to admit that I liked Clerks 2. I could probably give Clerks, Mallrats and Clerks 2 a rewatch, some day.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Clerks 2 had references to King Diamond so I'm okay with it on that level.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I did like Red State much more than almost anyone I've heard comment on it.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I liked the first half of Red State

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm sorry if I brought this up in this thread before, but I'm pretty sure it was a different one. But also worth mentioning that Kevin, despite not making great movies anymore and making cringy tweets that will live forever, is a really solid guy in reality. When the Weinstein poo poo hit he declared he was going to give the rest of his royalties from all miramax movies he did, or the equivalent if the legal situation stopped those royalties, to women's charities because he felt so bad about having (unknowingly) profited off of that poo poo. As far as I'm concerned he can keep making kinda lovely movies for his cult fan base forever, I wish nothing but the best for the dude.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Dude was also trying to get Stan Lee out of the weird Elder Abuse scenario he was in after his wife died.
His podcasting partner, Ralph, got done dirty by the Radio station he worked for (contract negotiation turned into canceled contract after 20 years of service) and Kevin immediately blacklisted the station and refused any more interviews or guest bits as a result.

And a big reason for his outlook in his last decade was basically watching his dad die of a heartattack suddenly. He realized "gently caress it, what do we have to lose"

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Oct 16, 2020

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Scream Factory already has a replacement disc program for the messed Friday the 13th discs:
https://www.shoutfactory.com/blog/friday-the-13th-replacement-disc-program/

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Vince MechMahon posted:

I'm sorry if I brought this up in this thread before, but I'm pretty sure it was a different one. But also worth mentioning that Kevin, despite not making great movies anymore and making cringy tweets that will live forever, is a really solid guy in reality. When the Weinstein poo poo hit he declared he was going to give the rest of his royalties from all miramax movies he did, or the equivalent if the legal situation stopped those royalties, to women's charities because he felt so bad about having (unknowingly) profited off of that poo poo. As far as I'm concerned he can keep making kinda lovely movies for his cult fan base forever, I wish nothing but the best for the dude.

Yeah, like... he seems like someone who's frankly impossible to hate unless you're really, really invested in hating people who are "cringe." He's a good dude who's living his best life, and the only negative emotion I can summon up towards him is slight envy.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I pretty much hate his movies but I have always enjoyed his refreshingly honest takes on big shots like Prince and Bruce Willis being absolute dickheads.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

caligulamprey posted:

Scream Factory already has a replacement disc program for the messed Friday the 13th discs:
https://www.shoutfactory.com/blog/friday-the-13th-replacement-disc-program/

The website that you need to go to to order replacements is currently making GBS threads the bed.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ringu0 posted:

Shout got Lupin III: The First (Jan 12th) and Prince of Darkness 4K (Jan 19th)

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1317104543209902080?s=19

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Happy Hippo posted:

I pretty much hate his movies but I have always enjoyed his refreshingly honest takes on big shots like Prince and Bruce Willis being absolute dickheads.

He's really good at telling stories if nothing else but as everyone else said he seems like a really good dude. Also my take away from the Prince story wasn't that he was a dickhead but that he was a complete weirdo who just lived outside of what people call reality.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Smith's rants against film critics (in general, not any specific ones) were kinda annoying. As was the whole stunt he pulled with, I think Red State- I get he wanted to make a point about self-distributing, but I gotta figure there were other movies at that festival looking for buyers, maybe even at that same time!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

King Vidiot posted:

I don't know if I should be ashamed to admit that I liked Clerks 2. I could probably give Clerks, Mallrats and Clerks 2 a rewatch, some day.

I remember it held up a lot better than I thought it would, but it's been a while since I've watched it. It certainly is a lot more interesting if read as a statement on his career trajectory at that point, and his place in the film industry.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I've got some digital codes but I don't want them to be taken by lurkers, so if you have PMs and five previous posts in this thread, quote this post with whichever one you want:

Back to the Future Trilogy
Phantom Thread
The Dark Crystal

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Cloks posted:

I've got some digital codes but I don't want them to be taken by lurkers, so if you have PMs and five previous posts in this thread, quote this post with whichever one you want:

Phantom Thread
The Dark Crystal

Bttf plz

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Cloks posted:

Phantom Thread
The Dark Crystal

I made a Discord server with a code sharing channel if you’d prefer.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Liar Lyre posted:

I made a Discord server with a code sharing channel if you’d prefer.

Thanks, I'll post the other two there.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Thanks for the code.

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007
SHIGERU MIYAMOTO IS MY ILLEGITIMATE FATHER!!!
Does anyone know if the upcoming 4K Lord of the Rings extended edition is going to have all of the making of documentaries and extras from the old DVD box set? I used to watch those once a year but lost my original box set ages ago.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gary the Llama posted:

Does anyone know if the upcoming 4K Lord of the Rings extended edition is going to have all of the making of documentaries and extras from the old DVD box set? I used to watch those once a year but lost my original box set ages ago.

It's totally barebones. There's a complete set coming later in 2021.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Criterion 50% off flash sale is live on their site

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tim Whatley posted:

Criterion 50% off flash sale is live on their site

:lol: their site seems to be getting hammered.

Still no Zatoichi in stock though :argh:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Dang their site sucks now. They now only show the last couple months of new releases. It used to have a descending order of all their movies starting with the newest ones going backwards. I've got three unused gift codes but I've been out of it for a while so I don't even got a clear picture of what their last couple years of releases have been.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Dang their site sucks now. They now only show the last couple months of new releases. It used to have a descending order of all their movies starting with the newest ones going backwards. I've got three unused gift codes but I've been out of it for a while so I don't even got a clear picture of what their last couple years of releases have been.

pretty sure u can sort it that way

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I grabbed Scanners, Videodrome, Night of the Living Dead

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Doesn't Barnes and Noble just do their sale next month anyway?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Doesn't Barnes and Noble just do their sale next month anyway?

Normally, yes. This time? Who knows.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The holidays are going to absolutely annihilate brick and mortar

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Origami Dali posted:

The holidays are going to absolutely annihilate brick and mortar

Oh I'm sure you'll still have all the same morons going Thunderdome in Best Buy and Walmart on black Friday. Aren't they launching the new game consoles this year?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPL593H posted:

Oh I'm sure you'll still have all the same morons going Thunderdome in Best Buy and Walmart on black Friday.

Absolutely. People lose their absolute poo poo going brick and mortar shopping on Black Friday, and it's not like anyone is going to step in and stop it either.

Halloween spread is going to lead to a ton of COVID spread over Thanksgiving weekend, leading to everyone getting the 'rona for Christmas!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

Absolutely. People lose their absolute poo poo going brick and mortar shopping on Black Friday, and it's not like anyone is going to step in and stop it either.

Halloween spread is going to lead to a ton of COVID spread over Thanksgiving weekend, leading to everyone getting the 'rona for Christmas!

Silver lining here, a lot of people's Christmas shopping lists will be a bit shorter next year.

Also malls are still open. You can go into a mall. I don't think this has slowed down retail as much as people are saying, a lot of stores (Walmart, Home Depot, Walgreens etc) never closed in the first place. Even fast food places.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPL593H posted:

Silver lining here, a lot of people's Christmas shopping lists will be a bit shorter next year.

Also malls are still open. You can go into a mall. I don't think this has slowed down retail as much as people are saying, a lot of stores (Walmart, Home Depot, Walgreens etc) never closed in the first place. Even fast food places.

Yeah, the 24 hour places cut hours for a while, but I think they're back to normal. And with the push to get everything back to "normal," I wouldn't be surprised if retailers go the extra mile to draw in more people :capitalism:

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Tim Whatley posted:

I grabbed Scanners, Videodrome, Night of the Living Dead

NotLD is jaw dropping.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Is the Bruce Lee set worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature