Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Sickening posted:

Less bad, but definitely weird.

My team lead sometimes puts up a zoom that people can join as they like, for conversation and general "be a little more like we're all in the same physical proximity" feeling. There's no obligation to join or to talk when you do, but it's there and it helps us feel like we're more of a team. It's a small thing, it can help, sometimes.

It's weird but the entire world is weird right now so it fits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

klosterdev posted:

Anyone have success/horror stories running Docusign or Adobe Sign?

I've admined both Docusign and Adobe Sign. I prefer Docusign, but that's mostly because I hate everything Adobe. One of the biggest problems I had with Adobe Sign was that if you were trying to use their enterprise version with SSO, if a user had signed up for an Adobe ID on their own using the same email address, it would cause all sorts of obnoxious issues.

Setting up SSO with Docusign via Azure AD SAML was straight-forward, no issues there.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Sickening posted:

After I left the team was underperforming because I had been doing 80% of the work and now the most senior guy needed to step up (aka actually work) but wasn't.

I mean, it's working for them so whatever, I wouldn't particularly like it either but I also am pretty independent and can Just Work without needing someone to tell me to do it.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Sickening posted:

yea, the lengths people will go to, to maintain a butts in seats mentality is bonkers but really on brand for management in america.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Before we could get webcams (I mean they were sold out from like March until June) a few people got fired for not taking calls drat near all day. We have reporting on that poo poo, people.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

What can I do to change caps to esc in windows on a locked down laptop? I can’t vim like this. Is there some way that I can change it as non admin?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

jaegerx posted:

What can I do to change caps to esc in windows on a locked down laptop? I can’t vim like this. Is there some way that I can change it as non admin?

Without admin is unlikely. but autohotkey can submit a esc when you hit tab if you can get it.

tell whoever is giving you a windows laptop to also give you vmware workstation so you can just use your tools properly.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Methanar posted:

Without admin is unlikely. but autohotkey can submit a esc when you hit tab if you can get it.

tell whoever is giving you a windows laptop to also give you vmware workstation so you can just use your tools properly.

I got wsl so that was nice so I remapped in vim but I need caps as escape in everything now. I’m too used to it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

jaegerx posted:

MS PowerToys may work for you. The only caveat I can see is that if you run Keyboard Manager as a local user, the remappings will not work on a window running with elevated privs.

https://github.com/microsoft/PowerToys/wiki/Keyboard-Manager-Overview

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Fuckin centurylink regional outages

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I've been back in my office on campus but there's generally nobody here and when I do have somebody come by, masks are required. Not ideal but I definitely feel like my employer is taking the pandemic seriously.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Tetramin posted:

Fuckin centurylink

No need to waste extra words, here

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Recruiter called me earlier this morning and said the company I interviewed with intended to send me an offer.

I guess there's a couple HR related hoops I need to jump through, but an offer letter should be imminent.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That's great news! Congratulations! And on a Friday, too.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
:yotj:

Over the summer I got a tap on the shoulder to join our Site Reliability Engineering team. Ended up getting a bit jerked around with some departmental politics, but that hiring manager is gone, and the new one wants me so badly I don’t even have to do an internal interview!

I’m the senior sysadmin on my team, but this is the first time I’ve ever really done a proper knowledge transfer. Above and beyond the standard documentation, what areas should I focus on while writing additional documentation for my successor?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

The Fool posted:

Recruiter called me earlier this morning and said the company I interviewed with intended to send me an offer.

I guess there's a couple HR related hoops I need to jump through, but an offer letter should be imminent.

Dude congrats!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Y'all are going gangbusters! Congrats!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The HR hoop the recruiter told me about was to fill out a second job application.

For "Senior Cloud Automation Engineer" instead of "Cloud Automation Engineer"

Imposter syndrome is going to be strong for a while I think.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Had an interview today with an absolute dumpster fire of a company. The position I applied for was Senior Network Engineer. In the interview I learnt that they laid off the whole network engineering team and most of the company last year, they outsourced the operations but were bringing it back inhouse to reduce the size and complexity of the network so 1 person could manage it. Said person would also be team lead of the IT Support team, a team that would also be reduced from 5 people now to team lead and 1 person, who would probably be an intern so you would be doing basic helpdesk and support tasks.

Am I wrong in interpreting this as "We are eliminating every IT position and replacing it with a 1 man team" ?

Needless to say, I will not be proceeding further here.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

oops

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Please do not doxx my job performance evaluation.

:(

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Congrats everyone in the thread on their new jobs, the slack outage, and it being Friday.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Time to pack it in, call it a day.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
Another :toot: here! After Covid put some advancement plans on hold, I'm finally getting out of T2 white glove support and up into a devops-y role working with Azure, Intune, Autopilot, and some helping transition out some lingering stuff in SCCM.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Awesome! I've been knee deep in that stuff lately as well. Some of the new tools are pretty nice!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

anti :yotj: Just got the notice that the company is taken over by the state and its gonna be a slow death. Hell yea being a super lovely insurance company

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

The Iron Rose posted:

Above and beyond the standard documentation, what areas should I focus on while writing additional documentation for my successor?

What things do you do routinely and what things cause escalations when they break?

Focus on those things and ignore the rest.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Zotix fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 21, 2023

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Zotix posted:

So after the new contract job being in limbo for a week or two without any guarantee that it'll open up, I decided to reach out to my current employer to see if I could rescind my resignation to which they were a-okay with. Extremely humbling experience, but a job is a job. I didn't want to find myself in a situation where I had no job due to no fault of my own. Contract work really left a bad taste in my mouth. I explicitly didn't want to resign from my job until everything cleared, background check, drug screen etc. Once all of that cleared I put in my notice and it wasn't until the last day of my 2 week notice that the contractor was like, umm the CFO still needs to approve the position for you and the other new hires so everything is in limbo. Real cool. At least my current employer was happy to have me back. I also got a ton of people in leadership that said I could use them as references going forward.

Less then 2 days later a recruiter reached out to me and asked me if I'd be interested in relocation for a help desk role at a law firm. The pay would be double what I'm making right now, and they would pay relocation. After speaking with him he said everything looks good and would submit me. Friday the client manager for the recruiter called me to speak with me before the actual submission to the law firm and she really liked speaking with me and felt good about submitting me for it even if I didn't have the minimum experience. The MSP I work for works exclusively with law firms so she believes they'd over look it. I don't want to get my hopes up, but an opportunity like this would be a life changing experience for me. Right now... I could really use it.

Getting jacked around like that really loving sucks, especially when they let you put in notice before all the poo poo is ready to go and let you think all is good. It sounds like you’re continuing your search which is good, because even tho your current company likes you, they’re probably looking for candidates to replace you since you’re clearly almost out the door. Good luck with the lead u got going on though, sounds awesome.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Sickening posted:

To be fair the 18 year old version of you would have been less prepared regardless how you feel about it. I also super sympathize because I had just started trying to learn GO a few months ago and it took way too long to even start making any practical sense to me. Just keep after it. It will get better if you don't give up.

There’s the single threaded Go that gets used for little scripts and basic web apps n’ stuff and then there the world of interfaces, channels, go-routines that I feel I should learn but are hella hard when starting on a brand new project with no working examples. Like, any sort of batch processing daemon that relies on message queues. It’s a double bitch only having time on the weekends and for it to not be a work project.

Also, 18 year old me discovered SA and the broadband internet in college and the subsequent dicking around made homework and study nothing but painful.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
The most complicated aspect of Go is interfaces and you generally learn this after you've already hosed yourself over by not using them everywhere.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
It’s so liberating to do interviews when you don’t intend on actually taking the job

Especially so when the interview itself is almost as disorganized as the tech stack. I actually had to prompt him five minutes in to let me give a quick overview of my background. Nice guy, but it blew 45 minutes past the allotted time because he just kept going on about irrelevant details of heroku and ES and redis. You gotta summarize man!

Also flat/declining user+revenue growth which is a definite nope in this economy.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

The Iron Rose posted:

It’s so liberating to do interviews when you don’t intend on actually taking the job

Especially so when the interview itself is almost as disorganized as the tech stack. I actually had to prompt him five minutes in to let me give a quick overview of my background. Nice guy, but it blew 45 minutes past the allotted time because he just kept going on about irrelevant details of heroku and ES and redis. You gotta summarize man!

Also flat/declining user+revenue growth which is a definite nope in this economy.

I love the interviews where you to in and the boss just tells you how awesome he is. I've gotten many job offers by just padding the ego of the interviewer.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

This may not be the place to ask, so let me know if so.

I've been working in Medical Software for fourteen years now. Specifically, with lab instrumentation, and the interfaces used to talk between the LIS and the instruments themselves. You name it, I do it, short of the writing of the interface programs: quote, scheduling delivery upon receipt of a PO (with legal rigamarole wrapped into that - ensuring the PO meets particular legal standards and whatnot), doing said delivery, tracking every project from start to end, ensuring everything works after the fact, submitting new dev requests (to our programmers, since our broader dev team doesn't really glom instrumentation at all, so they let us do it internally), going on site to help with implementations, some very low level programming (just minor fixes and digging to see how poo poo works, mostly) and a million other things that have become a slow boiling frog of cruft and responsibility.

I make just about $70k a year at this point. After fourteen years.

They just started using time management software, which as you might assume, means efficiency is punished: I regularly have all my poo poo done ASAP and done well so it's not coming back (no meaningless questions: I dig to the heart of the issue and push for a fix), which means I have downtime. But you can't have downtime, not with the new system. This and a variety of other things have caused me to realize I need to look elsewhere. The timing sucks rear end, certainly, but I've gotta do something.

This leads to my question: I do not have any certification in anything, just work experience both here and, for six months, on contract at the state school I graduated from doing Faculty hardware/software support. My wheelhouse would probably lean towards networking in general, considering how much I end up doing to lead various laboratories through the process of getting connections working. What sort of certificates should I be aiming for in this case? I have a definite case of imposter syndrome thinking about doing what I do at this job anywhere else, since it's extraordinarily niche, but I know how poo poo works, with an extra bonus of knowing how term servers work particularly well, which would be great if I had a time machine and bounced to 40 years ago. My plan for becoming More Broadly Employable (tm) was to just like, take Udemy courses and get certification. Is this a good plan? I've had a lot of support from friends who agree with my "exiting an abusive relationship" analogies to my current situation, so I apologize if I come across as a bit scattered.

TLDR: what sort of certificates should I focus on, if any, so I don't look like the world's best person at the extraordinarily niche job I'm trying to GTFO of?

George RR Fartin fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 19, 2020

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
edit: i see there is a whole IT cert thread

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Jinnigan posted:

edit: i see there is a whole IT cert thread

Oh, I see. I'll read around that one. Thanks :)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

While I've had nothing but good experience with my recruiter and prospective manager, prospective new job's HR department is loving clown shoes.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Shlomo Palestein posted:

I've been working in Medical Software for fourteen years now. Specifically, with lab instrumentation, and the interfaces used to talk between the LIS and the instruments themselves.

I do know a lot of instrument vendors could use another competent programmer on staff. I do not know how many are hiring, but there are a lot of them, so maybe you could pick up a dev role at another vendor. That'd directly leverage your experience, keep you in your wheelhouse, and maybe get a raise or better role out of the switch.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
My boss has just promised an exec that we will produce a fortnightly report on how a project is going... for a project that is not a approved.

Typically, we just don't do that, but my boss has buckled under pressure from naggy HR people. I've put an hour in his diary for him to set out what he expects to see in this report I'm going to be writing.

I think most of that time will be me pointing out stuff along the lines of "normally we report spend against budget, progress against agreed timescales - as we are evaluating how much time/money we need to complete this project, this report is going to be short, is that ok/expected?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

mllaneza posted:

I do know a lot of instrument vendors could use another competent programmer on staff. I do not know how many are hiring, but there are a lot of them, so maybe you could pick up a dev role at another vendor. That'd directly leverage your experience, keep you in your wheelhouse, and maybe get a raise or better role out of the switch.

This is a good idea. I'm not like, traditionally trained in programming (I can do a bit of C++ and I can write basic calculations and such in my companies proprietary language and generally scan through to know how stuff works), but I have to assume knowing a bunch of weird rear end protocols and how poo poo is meant to interact with the LIS at least gives me a leg up in knowing how things *should* work, and I can work backwards from there. Maybe if I show up and just throw a lot of Kermit or Sysmex Proprietary jargon at them, they'll be wowed.

At the same time, I'm gonna scan through the certs thread because while I can stay in my own wheelhouse, I feel like the wheelhouse itself is pretty...small, and broadening my focus is just gonna be kinda nice even if it's just as a confidence boost.