Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

So the core concept of it, the switchable parts, isn't even the part that got carried forward. I again think you're proving my point, the engine, the beam swords etc all that poo poo could have and was used on other systems. Those aren't the core developments of the impulse, it was a gross and obvious step back from the Strike platform especially once you add in that only one guy on a very elite team is really capable of using it fully. There is a drat good reason the Destiny itself ditches all those things and it's because it's a pointless excuse for transformations and deus ex machina moments in the show. Destiny is badly conceived, written, and executed. I think the Impulse is a good example of that in action. I'd even argue the new engine for it is pointless because the Justice/Freedom already solved the limited energy issue (maybe there is a reason they didn't want to use nuclear power again I can't remember). It's just another example of Destiny kinda making GBS threads on what SEED accomplished for no reason other than to generate heat for the plot.

Touting how good the Destiny Zakus are reinforces that they had this solution figured already, but wasted time and energy on a prototype that the core function of was never used again (swappable parts). FWIW Victory Gundam did this same thing like a decade before Destiny and to no ones surprise better. The Impulse is a snazzier Victory, except the Victory was "mass produced" so you could afford to throw away parts of it, the impulse I honestly never understood with how often he ditches parts and gets them wiped out how they had enough for it especially once they are operating independently on earth.

No one will stop me making GBS threads on Destiny until the end of time.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
The Sword Skygrasper in OMNI vs ZAFT is possibly one of the greatest things to play in a Gundam Vs. game, matched only by stuff like Hildolfr's spin tactics.

You essentially do two things: ram things with a sword and shoot with the Vulcans.

The story stages where you fight ships are incredible because you're some rear end in a top hat in a Skygrasper dragging a sword across the Dominion like you're keying Azrael's car or something.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

The Notorious ZSB posted:

So the core concept of it, the switchable parts, isn't even the part that got carried forward. I again think you're proving my point, the engine, the beam swords etc all that poo poo could have and was used on other systems. Those aren't the core developments of the impulse, it was a gross and obvious step back from the Strike platform especially once you add in that only one guy on a very elite team is really capable of using it fully. There is a drat good reason the Destiny itself ditches all those things and it's because it's a pointless excuse for transformations and deus ex machina moments in the show. Destiny is badly conceived, written, and executed. I think the Impulse is a good example of that in action. I'd even argue the new engine for it is pointless because the Justice/Freedom already solved the limited energy issue (maybe there is a reason they didn't want to use nuclear power again I can't remember). It's just another example of Destiny kinda making GBS threads on what SEED accomplished for no reason other than to generate heat for the plot.

Touting how good the Destiny Zakus are reinforces that they had this solution figured already, but wasted time and energy on a prototype that the core function of was never used again (swappable parts). FWIW Victory Gundam did this same thing like a decade before Destiny and to no ones surprise better. The Impulse is a snazzier Victory, except the Victory was "mass produced" so you could afford to throw away parts of it, the impulse I honestly never understood with how often he ditches parts and gets them wiped out how they had enough for it especially once they are operating independently on earth.

No one will stop me making GBS threads on Destiny until the end of time.

They're not allowed to use nuclear power by the terms of the ceasefire treaty at the end of the war, and ZAFT at least pays lip service to obeying the treaty.

Your point about the Strike being some kind of unimpeachable platform that the Impulse is a pointless and wasteful digression from is weird and unsupported by the material. There's a fair number of times in SEED when the Strike is in the poo poo and has to hot swap packs mid combat and they don't have an easy way to do that besides stuff like "well hopefully the Strike can make it back to the Archangel before it's hosed" or "maybe we can use one of our Skygraspers to ram a pack onto it mid-combat and hope neither pilot fucks up or gets attacked while it's happening". The Strike's system is good and practical, but has some major weaknesses, which the Impulse tries to address.

Shinn proves again and again and again that the Impulse's gimmicks are very powerful and useful; the Impulse never fucks up or fails because of its design a single time in the show, so making GBS threads on it for being a garbage boondoggle both isn't really supported by the show and is also kind of odd when there's approximately a zillion billion more concrete things to harp on the show for being lovely about.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 16, 2020

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Impulse is good because switching packs mid-stage was extremely useful in SRWZ.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Destiny is a bad show, the Strike isn't unimpeachable it's just an obviously better platform in my eyes. I think we've harped on plenty of the concrete things about Destiny that suck. I don't think I'm crazy for feeling that the first hero suit is also kind of not really very good if only for the fact the show makes it so because they wanted it to be that way. Which describes 90% of the plotting decisions made in Destiny, we wanted it this way so we made it so even if it undermines or confusingly does away with whatever development has come before it.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 16, 2020

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

chiasaur11 posted:

SEED has a lot of weapons that seem kinda goofy even by Gundam standards, like the constant recurrences of beam boomerangs.

It's an odd thing, since SEED never really leans into it, either. You don't get people coming up with goofy names for their war crime guns or anything, it's not sponsor required. It's just... the robot turns into a giant hand. Take this seriously.

You say that, but SEED is the continuity were drat near every weapon on every Mobile Suit has some weird, official nickname. The Impulse's beam sabers aren't just being sabers, they're "Vajra" beam sabers. Its beam boomerangs are "flash edge" beam boomerangs, totally distinct from the Strike's "Midas Messer" beam boomerangs, and don't forget that its antiship sword is the "Excalibur" antiship sword. And don't forget the Blast Impulse, where it is crucially important to remember that it's beam javelin is called the "Defiant" beam javelin and its beam cannons are "Kerberos" beam cannons, and don't forget the "Deluge" rail guns!

Blaze Dragon posted:

The Impulse is good because switching packs mid-stage was extremely useful in SRWZ.

Seconding this. Doubly so because it got a full EN refill whenever you swapped packs. You could dump out a bunch of ALL attacks with the Blast form and then switch to Sword for more durable targets.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

SEED has a lot of weapons that seem kinda goofy even by Gundam standards, like the constant recurrences of beam boomerangs.

It's an odd thing, since SEED never really leans into it, either. You don't get people coming up with goofy names for their war crime guns or anything, it's not sponsor required. It's just... the robot turns into a giant hand. Take this seriously.

Which SEED suit turns in to a giant hand? The Aegis is the only thing close to that I recall, since it's a big claw. It's not remotely anthropomorphic looking though, so it seems like a weird complaint.

Kanos posted:

It would only be a pointless prototype if it was a purely proof of concept test that never achieved combat success, but it absolutely did. In fact, a lot of its successes were specifically down to its weird quirks. It's not really suitable for mass production, but the Impulse was responsible for stuff like destroying an entire Orb Fleet, destroying the Lohengrin Gate(which was stonewalling an entire ZAFT offensive), shooting down the Freedom(which was generally impossible), and it rendered sterling service until the very end of the war.

The Impulse was basically the perfect counter to Kira and/or the Freedom, because no matter how much Kira destroyed the Impulse's limbs or weapons it could just replace them and keep fighting. It'd be worth it for that alone, because Freedom was always going to be a potential enemy for ZAFT and something they had to at least consider how to fight. Shinn did far, far better against the Kira in the Impulse than he did in the Destiny, which ditched the combination and replaceable packs. You could argue that Shinn was always going to do worse against Kira because of the writer's bias, but dismissing in-universe considerations in favour of meta reasoning negates the entire point of the discussion so you have to give some weight to the benefits of the Impulse's gimmicks even if only for that one fight. Which is all it has to be good for really, since Kira and the Freedom are such high value targets and could essentially take down ZAFT on their own given enough time. Which it'd probably do without killing a single pilot*

*crew members on ships don't count

Aces in single experimental prototype units are supremely useful in Gundam in general, but SEED places more value than most on them I'd say and it doesn't really matter whether the Impulse's innovations can trickle down to mass produced units, because if they're even good for one pilot then they're worth the cost given how much a single ace can do.

tsob fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 16, 2020

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

tsob posted:

Aces in single experimental prototype units are supremely useful in Gundam in general, but SEED places more value than most on them I'd say and it doesn't really matter whether the Impulse's innovations can trickle down to mass produced units, because if they're even good for one pilot then they're worth the cost given how much a single ace can do.

Yeah, I guess this is my fundamental point. It really, really, really doesn't matter in the slightest if the Impulse's innovations were suitable for application to mass production or not, because the Impulse itself proved its worth as a one-off elite machine that singlehandedly soloed fleets and defeated otherwise invincible foes. "Oh no the Impulse was an expensive waste of time" is a specious argument to make when the Impulse singlehandedly destroys an entire Orb fleet and saves the Minerva from destruction, which would instantly pay for itself in any reckoning.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
I just remembered something related to all this, namely that the Feds did have a chance to make a mass production unit with the strike's pack compatibility, and even had one working, the 105 dagger, all by the end of the first war. Instead they ended up going with the Strike Dagger though, which was all around worse, had no laminated armor, and had no strike pack ability.

Bad choice, IMO. Especially since it could have made for some good fights, imagine the ORB invasion but most of the Fed suits are using the familiar launcher, sword and aile packs that have been on the good guys all this time.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Kanos posted:

Yeah, I guess this is my fundamental point. It really, really, really doesn't matter in the slightest if the Impulse's innovations were suitable for application to mass production or not, because the Impulse itself proved its worth as a one-off elite machine that singlehandedly soloed fleets and defeated otherwise invincible foes. "Oh no the Impulse was an expensive waste of time" is a specious argument to make when the Impulse singlehandedly destroys an entire Orb fleet and saves the Minerva from destruction, which would instantly pay for itself in any reckoning.

Yeah, Impulse wasn't meant to be some prototype for new mass production mobile suits, it is basically a system of the Minerva itself, an extremely powerful suit that can be deployed to suit any scenario.

I don't even know how it's not an across the board upgrade over Strike, it does absolutely everything Strike could and more and isn't years out of date. Impulse could handle absolutely anything that wasn't a nuclear based Gundam, and legitimately kept up with the Freedom, while the best possible version of Strike (upgraded Rouge) got pasted by a bunch of Zakus

(no sir, we don't acknowledge the reanimated HD version of that scene where Rouge is upgraded to Freedom Jr levels of firepower, thank you very much!)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I wish that either the Strike Daggers or ORB's Astrays had different colour schemes. It makes some of the later battles in SEED quite hard to follow.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Kanos posted:

The problem with this is that if you go down the route of "why do we only have one Impulse? Well because one Impulse and a skilled pilot is all we need to turn the tide on every battlefield and that alone justifies the costs into this experimental model", then you open the flood gates of "alright cool, how do we get these skilled pilots? We can find and train them normally if they're a coordinator, or I guess we can pump them full of drugs and hope it works out/and they're stable if they're a natural" which then leads down to "holy gently caress either Coordinators are horrifyingly powerful or Naturals are absolutely low-grade."

Yeah, SEED's backdrop is horrifyingly dark

MechaX fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 17, 2020

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

It really seems like Durandal's plotting was based on realizing he was in a Gundam show.

It's a recurring thing to have people work out the traditional "rules" of the series, dating all the way back to Bright in ZZ, who lets a random juvenile delinquent steal the Zeta for a while since, hey. This isn't his first Gundam show. Durandal's schemes in Destiny is very much based around the idea that one teenager with issues is worth an army of supposed trained professionals, and for the world he's in, he's really, really right. Of course you'd only build one Impulse. It's the protagonist unit.

Then, of course, Kira decides to be the protagonist again, and there's nothing Durandal can do. (Durandal also goes in for excessive murders, which is generally a mistake. Still don't understand why he tried to drop Athrun.)

SEED really does feel like the Gundam people talk about when they describe what they don't like about Gundam in a lot of ways. You got the weird pseudo pacifism, the Gundam being the only thing that matters, the protagonists making their own faction... It's kind of interesting to have things so distilled, and have characters in universe plan around those cliches.

(On the other end of things, there's McGillis, who really thought he had things figured out. And then he got killed by a Garma.)

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 17, 2020

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

MechaX posted:

The problem with this is that if you go down the route of "why do we only have one Impulse? Well because one Impulse and a skilled pilot is all we need to turn the tide on every battlefield and that alone justifies the costs into this experimental model", then you open the flood gates of "alright cool, how do we get these skilled pilots? We can find and train them normally if they're a coordinator, or I guess we can pump them full of drugs and hope it works out/and they're stable if they're a natural" which then leads down to "holy gently caress either Coordinators are horrifyingly powerful or Naturals are absolutely low-grade."

Yeah, SEED's backdrop is horrifyingly dark

The majority of Coordinator pilots are pretty average, and it's only a handful of them that turn out to be super aces like Kira and Athrun. Which you still end up with a few of from Naturals occasionally, like Mwu or presumably George Glenn and Al Da Flaga. Also, possibly Rau, depending on his unclear heritage. It would happen even less often with Naturals than with Coordinators, but it can still happen. Naturals can have SEED factor too, though it's of dubious use by the time of Destiny really. The drugs and hypnosis and poo poo just increase the likelihood, rather than being the only possible path. Which, you could say that Kira's father used some pretty awful means to arrange his skill too. Rau certainly argued it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

It really seems like Durandal's plotting was based on realizing he was in a Gundam show.

It's a recurring thing to have people work out the traditional "rules" of the series, dating all the way back to Bright in ZZ, who lets a random juvenile delinquent steal the Zeta for a while since, hey. This isn't his first Gundam show. Durandal's schemes in Destiny is very much based around the idea that one teenager with issues is worth an army of supposed trained professionals, and for the world he's in, he's really, really right. Of course you'd only build one Impulse. It's the protagonist unit.

Then, of course, Kira decides to be the protagonist again, and there's nothing Durandal can do. (Durandal also goes in for excessive murders, which is generally a mistake. Still don't understand why he tried to drop Athrun.)

Durandal's actions don't even need meta knowledge to make sense. Destiny takes place after a giant war where the Three Ships Alliance stopped the final battle singlehandedly by leveraging three powerful unique battleships and a very small group of elite, powerful mobile suits. By simply observing that battle you can come to the conclusion that "hey, small elite units are massive game changers with the technology we have". Durandal cultivating Shinn is really clever, because Shinn combines "uber-talented teenager with issues" with "actually trained and totally loyal professional pilot" into one package.

Durandal's also running a side game to convince Athrun to stick on his side for the same reasons, to the point where he originally intended to give Athrun the Legend. The reason why he flips on Athrun is because Athrun asks too many questions about his propaganda game with Meer; Athrun or Meer revealing to the world that she's a fake Lacus would severely undermine Durandal's credibility and also damage or destroy his "I'm the good guy" facade.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

tsob posted:

The majority of Coordinator pilots are pretty average, and it's only a handful of them that turn out to be super aces like Kira and Athrun. Which you still end up with a few of from Naturals occasionally, like Mwu or presumably George Glenn and Al Da Flaga. Also, possibly Rau, depending on his unclear heritage. It would happen even less often with Naturals than with Coordinators, but it can still happen. Naturals can have SEED factor too, though it's of dubious use by the time of Destiny really. The drugs and hypnosis and poo poo just increase the likelihood, rather than being the only possible path. Which, you could say that Kira's father used some pretty awful means to arrange his skill too. Rau certainly argued it.

The "average" for a coordinator floors out at "pilot a suit with a poo poo movement system competently and naturally" which is still a pretty big gigantic deal especially if they're given more to work with. And to be honest, even the "super aces" might be excessive; the likes of Luna (and I guess Rey if we're counting him) and Heine were enough for most of the basic non-Extend Natural pilots, and even more if we're counting extended material (like Gai and maybe others). Like gently caress, even the DOM Troopers were goddamn coordinators and ZAFT and actually get a decent killcount for non-main characters.

Yeah, Naturals can have SEED, but that's something that they never, ever, ever expounded upon in the series besides Cagalli and by god I wish they did.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

in conclusion: watch turn-a gundam instead

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

in conclusion: watch turn-a gundam instead

Actually yeah, just do this

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Durandal's whole thing is a crippling obsession with control. He tries to kill off people who he really doesn't need to antagonise (and certainly doesn't need to antagonise that early) for the exact same reason that he wants to use a Death Star to sort the world into a genetic caste system with his genetically-augmented people as the de facto elite. He's not quite at McGillis levels of being a total maladjusted fuckup under his mask of competence and composure, but he at least has some of the same problems.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

MechaX posted:

The "average" for a coordinator floors out at "pilot a suit with a poo poo movement system competently and naturally" which is still a pretty big gigantic deal especially if they're given more to work with. And to be honest, even the "super aces" might be excessive; the likes of Luna (and I guess Rey if we're counting him) and Heine were enough for most of the basic non-Extend Natural pilots, and even more if we're counting extended material (like Gai and maybe others). Like gently caress, even the DOM Troopers were goddamn coordinators and ZAFT and actually get a decent killcount for non-main characters.

I don't think we're ever given reason to believe that the movement system in any ZAFT mobile suit is poo poo, and the only Coordinators to ever pilot in ones with an incomplete operating system are the Le Creuset team; several of whom were regularly stumped by a Natural in a mobile armour that is definitively worse than any of their mobile suits and which wasn't even really capable of damaging any of them. Which is ignoring that none of them are going to be "average", since they're all supposedly elite soldiers and pilots. Also, regular rear end humans perform fine once they have a decent system themselves and often match the background/grunt Coordinators. M1 Astray pilots and Dagger pilots often fight pretty equally with ZAFT grunts in SEED, and both presumably have acceptable movement systems. As a more extreme, but unclear example, Sting in the Chaos Gundam is defeated by three Murasames, at least one of which is probably piloted by a Natural since a lot of Orb's pilots are Naturals. Including the 3 named Shrike team girls from SEED. Which is the only named group of pilots from Orb we get, so far as I know.

tsob fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 17, 2020

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

tsob posted:

I don't think we're ever given reason to believe that the movement system in any ZAFT mobile suit is poo poo, and the only Coordinators to ever pilot in ones with an incomplete operating system are the Le Creuset team; several of whom were regularly stumped by a Natural in a mobile armour that is definitively worse than any of their mobile suits and which wasn't even really capable of damaging any of them. Which is ignoring that none of them are going to be "average", since they're all supposedly elite soldiers and pilots. Also, regular rear end humans perform fine once they have a decent system themselves and often match the background/grunt Coordinators. M1 Astray pilots and Dagger pilots often fight pretty equally with ZAFT grunts in SEED, and both presumably have acceptable movement systems. As a more extreme, but unclear example, Sting in the Chaos Gundam is defeated by three Murasames, at least one of which is probably piloted by a Natural since a lot of Orb's pilots are Naturals. Including the 3 named Shrike team girls from SEED. Which is the only named group of pilots from Orb we get, so far as I know.

We don't know because we've never seen a Natural who wasn't drug-enhanced try to pilot a ZAFT suit, even though we have seen the opposite much to their disdain. And are we counting Mwu as a run of the mill Natural? Because we really, really shouldn't be even by metrics of what we've seen in the series, let alone what we know of side materials from his origin. And no, regular-rear end humans don't perform fine in mobile suits in SEED; I mean, even Astray even brought this point up given that Lowe was a natural and needed assistance to fly much less fight against a coordinator even despite how his Astray's OS wasn't even as worse off as the G Unit's (and the entire fact that Naturals need specialized OSs despite how Coordinators do not kinda belies your point). And not even withstanding that, the Astray girls got destroyed by literal grunts within seconds when the going got tough at the last battle.

I mean, we can even look to Kira's meltdown on Sai on how much better Coordinators were than Naturals at a base level, it was something brought up a lot in the series

MechaX fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 17, 2020

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think it's important to recall that the vast majority of Coordinators are 'imperfect.' That was the entire reason for the Super Coordinator project that made Kira. There is a pretty wide gulf in skills between Coordinators because of that. At your most extreme you get someone like Elijah who is effectively a completely failed Coordinator, or Rika Sheder who is largely excellent but whose eyes got hosed up by flaws. It isn't quite as simple as "All Coordinator Are Best."

There are actually a lot of Naturals who are shown to be on levels as good (or better) than Coordinators. Barry Ho is a martial artist who was perfectly capable of piloting pre-Natural OS machines because he was just that good. (And once successfully punched out a mobile suit's camera with his bare hands.) Characters like Ed the Ripper or Jane Houston are similarly absurdly talented and more than capable of outpacing most Coordinators because while Coordinators have a natural advantage that doesn't prevent there from being outliers.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

MechaX posted:

We don't know because we've never seen a Natural who wasn't drug-enhanced try to pilot a ZAFT suit, even though we have seen the opposite much to their disdain. And are we counting Mwu as a run of the mill Natural? Because we really, really shouldn't be even by metrics of what we've seen in the series, let alone what we know of side materials from his origin. And no, regular-rear end humans don't perform fine in mobile suits in SEED; I mean, even Astray even brought this point up given that Lowe was a natural and needed assistance to fly much less fight against a coordinator even despite how his Astray's OS wasn't even as worse off as the G Unit's (and the entire fact that Naturals need specialized OSs despite how Coordinators do not kinda belies your point). And not even withstanding that, the Astray girls got destroyed by literal grunts within seconds when the going got tough at the last battle.

I wasn't trying to paint Mwu as average, only pointing out that the only Coordinators we've ever seen use any mobile suits with badly put together movement systems were explicitly elite pilots by ZAFT standards and they still had trouble with a Natural in a unit that is definitively worse than theirs on every conceivable level and wasn't even capable of damaging their suits. Which completely negates the idea that the average for Coordinators is to do well in a unit that can't even move right. I'm not sure why we'd need to see how a Natural performs in a Coordinator suit to validate that. Normal humans piloting Daggers and Astrays are able to stand up to and occasionally defeat Coordinators in equivalent grunt suits during SEED though, so yes, normal humans do perform fine in mobile suits during SEED regardless of what Astray says. The first time Daggers are introduced they destroy multiple ZAFT mobile suits, and we still see them do so occasionally throughout the remaining dozen or so episodes of SEED.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

MechaX posted:

I mean, we can even look to Kira's meltdown on Sai on how much better Coordinators were than Naturals at a base level, it was something brought up a lot in the series

The Astray girls getting killed has to be some of the most pointless deaths in the history of the franchise, like no reason to do it other than the people who made SEED being a bunch of sadistic weirdos

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think if one or two of them died to show it was serious!! Thatd be normal writing but they die so violently and completely that it comes across bizarre

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Wait gundamseed aired on toonami? I don't remember this

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Stairmaster posted:

It did in Australia at least, that's how I watched it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

Technically yes, but after half its run, it was moved to a later timeslot because viewer numbers were poor and because the censorship required to air it on network TV in Toonami hours was pretty extensive.

As said, SEED is a weirdly mean show. IBO and the UC stuff is brutal too, but it feels like it has purpose. (In Victory's case, that purpose is, admittedly, torpedoing Gundam. Still a point, though.) Even Stargazer has a clear set of reasons for its war crimes in terms of narrative weight. But SEED proper often doesn't feel that way. It's brutal to check a box, not because it's the natural direction of the story.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Technically yes, but after half its run, it was moved to a later timeslot because viewer numbers were poor and because the censorship required to air it on network TV in Toonami hours was pretty extensive.

As said, SEED is a weirdly mean show. IBO and the UC stuff is brutal too, but it feels like it has purpose. (In Victory's case, that purpose is, admittedly, torpedoing Gundam. Still a point, though.) Even Stargazer has a clear set of reasons for its war crimes in terms of narrative weight. But SEED proper often doesn't feel that way. It's brutal to check a box, not because it's the natural direction of the story.

The thing is that the censorship for SEED wasn't what you'd expect. Like they censored guns.

Super bizarre.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Mobile Suit Gundam Laser TAG.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

The thing is that the censorship for SEED wasn't what you'd expect. Like they censored guns.

Super bizarre.

A big thing in the 90's/early 00's American television was "lasers okay, real guns bad because ~kids could emulate what they see on TV~ :ohdear:"

They didn't bother when airing on Australian Toonami though.

overlordbunny
Feb 16, 2011

Iirc, they only partially censored the guns, the first couple episodes the captain had a glock, in the desert everyone had laser tag guns, and they stopped censoring sometime before the end.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Super bizarre.

This was the era of the infamous ET “turn shotguns into radios” edit too.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Whenever it comes to gun edits, I always laugh at how the 4kids dub of One Piece turned the marine's guns into Super Soakers:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Or a handgun into a goofy mallet.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Julias posted:

Whenever it comes to gun edits, I always laugh at how the 4kids dub of One Piece turned the marine's guns into Super Soakers:

I legit thought the watermark over Smoker's shoulder was him carrying around a broom and wouldn't have put it past 4kids to edit his jitte in to a broom for no real reason.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Midjack posted:

This was the era of the infamous ET “turn shotguns into radios” edit too.

Omnicrom posted:

Or a handgun into a goofy mallet.

Don't forget Yu-Gi-Oh and their very aggressive finger-pointing.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Wing changed Duo's nickname to the Great Destroyer and changed a lot references to death and it got a little funky. Also the whole Devil Gundam = Dark Gundam thing.

DiC dub Sailor Moon also deleting out all the death and the infamous Cloverway cousins also stands out. Outlaw Star having an entire episode disappear off the afternoon Toonami run too.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

If you're talking questionably applied censorship, the ITV dub of Robocop is the absolute peak:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-y1PAUtv3k

I really love that guy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Julias posted:

honestly in a setting where half the criminals in the world have superpowers that go away when they're covered in water, this almost makes sense