Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Zorak of Michigan posted:

KozmoNaut, where do you usually drive? Your experience sounds nice but not typical of the roads in the USA.

He's probably not in the USA since he's talking about the Autobahn :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Motronic posted:

It was a gentle reminder rather than a report button. But ya know, you do you.

I'm memorializing this response in a quote on the off chance you wake up in a better mood.

The report button is for cowards

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Guess he didn't wake up in a better mood.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
American roads are a demolition derby compared to most of the developed world (with accidents and/or deaths per mile driven) and we are seeing why this is the case with some of the attitudes here.

Source https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

carry on then posted:

To all the people bragging about how they exceed posted speed limits and never get pulled over: sounds about white.

Thanks for your useful and meaningful contribution to the thread.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Protocol7 posted:

Thanks for your useful and meaningful contribution to the thread.
Yeah, why is he trying to make everything about race???

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The only race allowed in this thread is race car.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Protocol7 posted:

The only race allowed in this thread is race car.
Yeah, because we don't see color here.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I see colour, the light's green bitch *buries the accelerator and spins up the tyres too much and ditches the car into oncoming traffic *

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
My county, city, or whoever the gently caress is in charge of that poo poo, must be running out of money. Had a small tractor (like, riding mower small) with a leaf blower ratchet strapped to the back on what I assume was street sweeper duty.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I see colour, the light's green bitch *buries the accelerator and spins up the tyres too much and ditches the car into oncoming traffic *

Mustang driver spotted

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
In general I agree with the argument that speed limits should match the natural speed of a road, but there's certain situations where that's not possible. If you're on a rural road with a bunch of driveways going up to it, you either have to artificially make the road less tempting to drive fast on, put a lot of money into making sure every intersection with a driveway has adequate visibility, or just say "no actually, there are residences here and you have to go 60 km/h or slower regardless of the fact you want to go faster."

Same thing with school zones and construction zones. You never know quite what hazards you're going to encounter, so you must go a slower speed regardless of the fact that, at any given time, it may not seem dangerous. People are very bad at judging the impact of those sorts of less commonly occurring hazards, so while the natural speed argument may work for setting the limit on a controlled access freeway or a highway in buttfuck-nowhere, there are situations where it's not entirely feasible and people just have to follow the limit.

That being said, the limit should in that case be made reasonable relative to potential hazards, not set artificially low.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

PT6A posted:

That being said, the limit should in that case be made reasonable relative to potential hazards, not set artificially low.

Agreed 100%.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Foxtrot_13 posted:

American roads are a demolition derby compared to most of the developed world (with accidents and/or deaths per mile driven) and we are seeing why this is the case with some of the attitudes here.

Pretty sure the “why this is the case” has more to do with issuing a license to drive to anyone who can fog a mirror and not with the people who are competent to go 56 in a 55.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

The report button is for cowards

The report button is a valuable tool for posters and for me, it lets me know that a really dumb slapfight that AI has had an infinite amount of times already is going on so I know to keep an eye on it.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

That's what the ignore button is for

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

sleepy.eyes posted:

My county, city, or whoever the gently caress is in charge of that poo poo, must be running out of money. Had a small tractor (like, riding mower small) with a leaf blower ratchet strapped to the back on what I assume was street sweeper duty.

Maybe it was hooked up as a turbo so he could keep pace with speeding traffic

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Nah, they knew idiots would tailgate/crash into it. There was a truck with a flashing lane ends arrow following it.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
Reading this, I had a hard time reconciling the KozmoNaut I remember who posted in CA years ago and the KozmoNaut posting here, is this even the same person?

KozmoNaut posted:

~$67.50/month on the XT660X, fully comprehensive. ~$31.30 on the B6, liability only. 27yo, a couple of speeding tickets and a conditional loss of license+new driving test, no accidents.

KozmoNaut posted:

I don't do group rides because I hate traffic and I hate being stuck behind someone else when I'm out riding for fun. Even if they're averaging the same speed that I would like to go, they don't slow down for corners and accelerate out of them at the same pace as me, whether it's faster or slower.

Riding alone lets me set my own pace and ride how I want to ride, sometimes I want to attack corners, sometimes I just want to cruise. Finding someone else with matching pace is practically impossible, never mind finding a whole group of riders with matching pace.

Riding alone, the only rider I have to keep up with or wait for is myself.

KozmoNaut posted:

I would have killed someone years ago if I had to live in a place with a blanket 35mph speed limit.

The fastest thing I would own in a place like that would probably be a scooter, and that's stretching it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

nm posted:

Rolling rights are quite dangerous for peds and cyclists.
For example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piWmcIB5vwI

Why did this person flip off the first person that was turning right?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Well, that's a new one for me.

I've previously posted about metered on-ramps and people who have not figured out that the meter lights will turn green as soon as you get to them once the minimum red interval has elapsed. So if you're the only person on the on-ramp, slowing down for the red light as if it were a stop sign or regular traffic light is just dumb. Keep going, light will turn green when you get to it, and you can go about your day.

I'm in the left lane of the on-ramp, only other person is in the right lane, a bit ahead of me. He starts slowing down for the light, because he's an idiot. I don't, so I pass him, light turns green when I hit the sensor, I proceed. He now comes to a stop at the red behind me, just as he was about to do in the first place.

Two miles down the road he pulls up next to me in the left lane, honks at me, flips me off, and shouts "gently caress you," and then veers towards me like he's going to run me off the road.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ArcticZombie posted:

Reading this, I had a hard time reconciling the KozmoNaut I remember who posted in CA years ago and the KozmoNaut posting here, is this even the same person?

I see no disconnect. All of the quoted posts are perfectly compatible with following the speed limit in general. You could even say I've learned my lesson from the speeding tickets I've gotten, plus I've gotten older and mellowed out slightly.

Nobody likes traffic, and the annoyance at a hypothetical blanket 35mph limit is an annoyance at speed limits set artificially way too low, which I'm pretty sure we all agree are annoying.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 26, 2020

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Also it’s super weird and gross that a few people seem to think they should prosecute who you are as a person for an opinion they disagree with.

“He said people should follow the speed limit, I should go stalk his post history and try to get a sick burn, loving boomer moron!”

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

I see no disconnect. All of the quoted posts are perfectly compatible with following the speed limit in general.

"In general" is doing an awful lot of heavy lifting in this explanation.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Krakkles posted:

Also it’s super weird and gross that a few people seem to think they should prosecute who you are as a person for an opinion they disagree with.

“He said people should follow the speed limit, I should go stalk his post history and try to get a sick burn, loving boomer moron!”

I figure they'll grow up soon enough.

After all, I did :)

Twistershift
Feb 7, 2007

Krakkles posted:

Yeah, because we don't see color here.

Tell that to all the silver cars, smh.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Twistershift posted:

Tell that to all the silver cars, smh.
If I ever see one, I will

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Let's go back to truly lovely drivers

https://twitter.com/JimNotBob/status/1309967408283738115?s=19

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

As long as that wasn't intentional by the truckers, that's a good hearty laugh.

Undertaking kills.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 27, 2020

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

I love seeing this poo poo. They're in too much of a loving hurry. They didn't take the time to see that the truck on the right was probably in the right lane because they saw the trucks on the shoulder up ahead.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Unfortunately they probably didn't learn anything about that whole situation and went to rant about how lovely all truck drivers are on Facebook. Stil, that's the type of schadenfreude this thread needs.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

bird with big dick posted:

Why did this person flip off the first person that was turning right?

pretty sure he's pointing at the driver in a futile effort to get her to pay attention, since he was anticipating her running the light

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/ScotRail/status/1316343606085644308?s=20

https://twitter.com/ScotRail/status/1316403863189180416?s=20

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
It always blows my mine when I see someone drive into a railroad right of way, but holy poo poo, I can't even figure out how you mess up this badly.

EDIT: I looked up this station and there's a parking lot right next to the tracks, with a fence separating the parking spots from the platform. Seems like a classic case of someone who thought they put their car into reverse, but actually had it in drive, hit the gas and panicked when they hit the fence.

On that note, I wish I had photos of it handy, but I was once sitting on my train in a station and watched as another train arrived traveling the opposite direction. He had to go through a grade crossing right off the end of the platform, so I watched him come in with his train, followed almost immediately by a Mercedes C class that was promptly high centered on a rail once he got off the concrete in the grade crossing. That was fun to work around.

Tex Avery fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Oct 16, 2020

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'm kind of surprised that car can get through that fence, assuming they were parked and hit the wrong pedal. That has to be what happened though.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
I just helped resolve this situation when leaving the grocery store.

80 year old lady in the blue car couldn't figure out that she should go around the green car instead of continuing to drive on the wrong side of the parking lot after cutting the corner making a left. Literally just stopped and frozen, waiting for the green car to do something.

Got a nice thank you from the lady in the green car after I used hand gestures to explain to the 80 year old that she should go around.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I say again, mandatory retesting for old people every couple of years.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How about a civil service where kids on their learner's permit have to provide X number of hours taking elderly people out on errands before they can get their driver's license. Then we cut up your license forever when you turn 70.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I don't know if anyone has really paid attention to how other people turn, but it's pretty ridiculous. Cutting turns so sharp that you're on the wrong side of traffic is very common in my area. So much so that I sit like 3 feet behind the stop line at a left turn now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I notice a lot of people have trouble with left turns across big intersections. Like just cannot turn in one continuous smooth arc, it's always turn early, then go straight, then have to make a sharp tight corner at the end. One in particular there's a double turn lane and a dotted while line to follow. Still no.