Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

SKULL.GIF posted:

I think my save broke. I haven't seen Nyx in 20+ runs and Persephone isn't offering the epilogue quest chain despite getting a Minor Prophecy for it.

Because Nyx went missing, I'm also gated out of finishing the relationship chains for Hypnos/Achilles/Patroclus/Sisyphus.

Last time I saw her was after fixing the Great Sigil, and nothing since then.
Nyx probably isn't missing, she's visiting with Chaos, and you need to talk to her there before she comes back home.

Likewise, Achilles and Patroclus need you to visit Patroclus in Elysium to see Achilles before he'll appear back home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

There's dash-strike hammers for sword, spear, shield, and two for fists.

What I mean is, I wonder how many of the Attack hammers also work on Dash-Strikes. I can't think of any but there could be some exceptions.

Geemer posted:

So, uh, are all hidden aspects but Guan Yu actually really good? 'Cause I just tried Lucifer and that was a fun run once I stopped trying to use the special until I got a hammer that made the beam pierce.

I'll admit that MVP for that run was Dionysus on attack, and that snakestones and satyrs were actually a big problem because of their ranged attacks.
But prophecy fulfilled and Dad lasered into submission, it ended up pretty well.

E: Rebinding reload to pressing left stick was the actual for real MVP because reload on pressing right stick is such a bad default holy poo poo.

Even Guan Yu is really good with the right build. Most of the attention for Guan Yu is on the low health/health regen aspect but the special can do some stupid damage if you focus on it.

But yeah the hidden aspects are generally great.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Guan Yu is the only one I'd consider bad, yeah (or at least only situationally good). The others seem good to great (although I haven't unlocked the bow one yet). The shield hidden aspect is my preferred one, and I might switch to some of the others once I put enough blood in them.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Also from that run:
Eat poo poo, Than!

He only got those kills because enemies were spawning into his AoE attack.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Fastest time yet, on 13 Heat since that was the next level for the shield.

More importantly, it's the first time I'm using Forced Overtime and I'm pretty sure that's the main culprit for it being this fast since I wasn't aiming for this time (skipped like 3 Charons)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Infinite Karma posted:

Nyx probably isn't missing, she's visiting with Chaos, and you need to talk to her there before she comes back home.

Likewise, Achilles and Patroclus need you to visit Patroclus in Elysium to see Achilles before he'll appear back home.

I've already done that, 19 runs ago :v: Haven't seen her in Chaos or at the House since then. I checked the administrative chamber several times, too, no go.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Lol. :wtc:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Artelier posted:

Fastest time yet, on 13 Heat since that was the next level for the shield.

More importantly, it's the first time I'm using Forced Overtime and I'm pretty sure that's the main culprit for it being this fast since I wasn't aiming for this time (skipped like 3 Charons)

How is the aspect of zeus? I'm trying to consider which weapon aspect to unlock / max next and having trouble deciding because they take so much blood and I don't want to sink blood into a not great one. Although I think they probably all work ok depending on how you play. For example, I actually don't mind Guan Yu

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
You should have believed in Bouldy.

Is the ambiguity bonus just you getting screwed over, or has someone taken the time to figure out if and what it buffs?

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 16, 2020

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

terrorist ambulance posted:

How is the aspect of zeus? I'm trying to consider which weapon aspect to unlock / max next and having trouble deciding because they take so much blood and I don't want to sink blood into a not great one. Although I think they probably all work ok depending on how you play. For example, I actually don't mind Guan Yu

I like it a lot. The fact you can keep using your attack while the shield is out is great. Try putting Zeus' boon on your special, and if you set it up right, it'll sit there on top of enemies zapping them over and over.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I like it a lot. The fact you can keep using your attack while the shield is out is great. Try putting Zeus' boon on your special, and if you set it up right, it'll sit there on top of enemies zapping them over and over.

Maybe I'll try it then. I really like the shield. On a good run I'm no-hitting Hades with it

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Holy poo poo, I tried Charon for the first time in the first couple rooms of Tartarus and barely scraped through w/ consuming two death defiances. Hard fight, especially going in blind

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Geemer posted:

So, uh, are all hidden aspects but Guan Yu actually really good? 'Cause I just tried Lucifer and that was a fun run once I stopped trying to use the special until I got a hammer that made the beam pierce.

I'll admit that MVP for that run was Dionysus on attack, and that snakestones and satyrs were actually a big problem because of their ranged attacks.
But prophecy fulfilled and Dad lasered into submission, it ended up pretty well.

E: Rebinding reload to pressing left stick was the actual for real MVP because reload on pressing right stick is such a bad default holy poo poo.

I dont see much point in the Fist hidden aspect, id much rather punch people for a billion damage with the aspect that gives additional punches to your special

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

babypolis posted:

I dont see much point in the Fist hidden aspect, id much rather punch people for a billion damage with the aspect that gives additional punches to your special

I like it a lot just because it gives you two extra dashes and really, really high base damage on the standard attacks. It's easy to get some very big numbers on your regular attacks with it. And if you put Aphrodite on your special, you mostly offset the downside to the maim debuff, too.

All of the fist aspects are extremely good, really.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Ok, the Eris rail is insane. Zeus attack on it plus wave dash plus boons which synergize is so much fun -- just dashing around deleting everything.

ZypherIM posted:

Laser beams is one of those things that makes the spear tip pretty good for the hades fight. You take the first tick of damage, then have 1.5 seconds to get behind a rock.

I think I figured out why I don't like the spear so much: the special ties up your attack, and the best thing about the spear (over other melee weapons) is the enormous attack range. Also all your weapon bonuses go into buffing your special, but you don't really need an extended range weapon between basic attack range and a cast. I'm sure you can build around it, but it just feels so clunky. I've had much better success with leaving special to be a status effect option and focusing hammers/boons towards attack.

What do you mean by weapon bonuses go into boosting the special? The hammers? I do wish the ratio was different, but there are a decent number of hammers for attack still -- e.g. increased range, triple attack, replacing the spin attack with something useful. They're definitely not as game-changing as hammers for other weapons though IMO -- I tend to prioritize them a lot less. It does usually feel a lot better to me to focus on attack or cast than special with the spear in general. I think of the special more as an occasional bonus than something I actually use often (unless I'm using the Achilles aspect, in which case I love the special but it's more of an extra dash/buff button).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

terrorist ambulance posted:

Holy poo poo, I tried Charon for the first time in the first couple rooms of Tartarus and barely scraped through w/ consuming two death defiances. Hard fight, especially going in blind

The good news is that with the 300 bucks you made plus all the savings you’ll get over the run from your membership card, buying back those 2 death defies from shops is no big. honestly if charon doesn’t cause you to lose the run right there or in the next few rooms, then he really pays for himself even if it feels like a bad trade at the time

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I've escaped with every weapon except Stygius, which I am absolutely terrible with. It seems mediocre at everything -- speed, range, and damage -- so it's hard to create a build that caters to its strengths.

How do people tend to play it?

Also, am I the only one who's afraid to spend any Titan Blood? I think I'm up to 15 saved up, and I've only ever spent two.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Maxing out nearly any aspect is a *huge* boost in power. Spend your bloods!

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

The good news is that with the 300 bucks you made plus all the savings you’ll get over the run from your membership card, buying back those 2 death defies from shops is no big. honestly if charon doesn’t cause you to lose the run right there or in the next few rooms, then he really pays for himself even if it feels like a bad trade at the time

Yeah it ended up really supercharging the run. I was just panicked at 50% health 2 defiances down thinking man I'm not going to be able to finish this fight at this rate

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I had the most turbocharged Chiron build I could possibly have, and EM4 Hades completely fuckin destroyed me :negative:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

WhiteHowler posted:

I've escaped with every weapon except Stygius, which I am absolutely terrible with. It seems mediocre at everything -- speed, range, and damage -- so it's hard to create a build that caters to its strengths.

Dash more.

Each aspect is good for different stuff but you need to max them out. Zagreus is speedy, Poseidon is fantastic for any casting, Nemesis gets crits for days, and Arthur is a big slow tanky beast with massive hits.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

WhiteHowler posted:

Also, am I the only one who's afraid to spend any Titan Blood? I think I'm up to 15 saved up, and I've only ever spent two.

No, the sword is good. Try maxing out the Zagreus aspect and see how much better it is.

Spend your titan blood. Don't hoard it. Max out the aspects you like best then put points in the others. You're not doing yourself any favors by not spending them.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Spend your titan blood. Don't hoard it. Max out the aspects you like best then put points in the others. You're not doing yourself any favors by not spending them.
Oh, I know, but since the points aren't refundable, I worry that I won't like whatever I choose, and then it'll be a ton of farming to get some other aspect leveled. Trying stuff out is pricey.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Are any hammer upgrades tied to specific weapons or is it just random what pops up?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Are any hammer upgrades tied to specific weapons or is it just random what pops up?

Yes

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Waltzing Along posted:

Several hammer upgrades aren’t available to certain aspects, mostly the hidden ones, and there are a few hidden aspect-only hammer upgrades. They are also often mutually exclusive with each other. If you get one that powers up the spear’s spin attack, you won’t get offered one that disables it. Can’t get both seeking and ricochet gun ammo.

The Anvil of the Fates won’t give mutually exclusive upgrades, but I don’t know exactly how it calculates it, like If if the pool gets expanded when one of the upgrades is removed.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

WhiteHowler posted:

Oh, I know, but since the points aren't refundable, I worry that I won't like whatever I choose, and then it'll be a ton of farming to get some other aspect leveled. Trying stuff out is pricey.

The basic aspects all only cost 1 blood per level, after that you'll want to unlock each aspect at base, then if something seems interesting put some more into it.

tildes posted:

What do you mean by weapon bonuses go into boosting the special? The hammers? I do wish the ratio was different, but there are a decent number of hammers for attack still -- e.g. increased range, triple attack, replacing the spin attack with something useful. They're definitely not as game-changing as hammers for other weapons though IMO -- I tend to prioritize them a lot less. It does usually feel a lot better to me to focus on attack or cast than special with the spear in general. I think of the special more as an occasional bonus than something I actually use often (unless I'm using the Achilles aspect, in which case I love the special but it's more of an extra dash/buff button).

I mean the bonus that the spear aspects give are all basically for the special.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I want to level up a dedicated cast weapon and I have enough bloods to max out one. Hera bow or Beowulf shield?

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Poseidon sword is probably my favourite weapon, just go Poseidon->zeus or Artemis and just blast people with powerful casts

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Of the three "casting" weapons, my order of preference is Poseidon sword > Hera bow >>> Beowulf shield.

The bull rush on Beowulf interacts really strangely with the cast boons, and it's slow and clunky to wind up. On top of that, the shield attacks so slowly in the first place that you barely get any real benefit from the much higher base damage if for whatever reason you decided to focus on your attack/special instead of just slowly grinding down enemies with the bullrush.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
It never occurred to me til today to stack the Rail hammers that give you a rocket and that makes you shoot 5 specials at once

Turns out you get an exploding version of the blow special! And it rules!

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Harrow posted:

I want to level up a dedicated cast weapon and I have enough bloods to max out one. Hera bow or Beowulf shield?

Poseidon sword is a really good general cast weapon. The flat damage bonus will always be useful, and the special dislodging gems allows some builds that would otherwise be wonky to be pretty good.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Harrow posted:

Achilles spear

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

SKULL.GIF posted:

Of the three "casting" weapons, my order of preference is Poseidon sword > Hera bow >>> Beowulf shield.

The bull rush on Beowulf interacts really strangely with the cast boons, and it's slow and clunky to wind up. On top of that, the shield attacks so slowly in the first place that you barely get any real benefit from the much higher base damage if for whatever reason you decided to focus on your attack/special instead of just slowly grinding down enemies with the bullrush.

I did my first poseidon sword run yesterday and yeah wow it's pretty insane with a good planned cast build. Even if you use something like festive fog or the ice lasers where the "special dislodges your bloodstones" aspect of the weapon goes unused, the native 40% cast damage boost for the maxed out sword is nuts. Particularly if you can luck into a chaos cast bonus as well.

Really the sword is the only weapon where every aspect feels really strong imo.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

WhiteHowler posted:

When you're in the House of Hades the game only saves when you enter a room. This means you can test things for free on Skelly as long as you then quit after testing without leaving the room, because it doesn't save after you spend the blood.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Wait, wait wait wait wait

Is Zagreu's three skulled shoulder armor . . . CERB OH NO

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I hope, like, a year from now there's a single content update and all it does is let people sit.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Dunno why everyone is saying Guan Yu aspect is bad, all you gotta do is get blade rift on dash in tartarus then absolutely no other boons through Tartarus so you are stuck using it as your main damage source. It was only epic because I got to Eurydice with 3 boons and took the 2/3 chance. Didn't see another Ares boon till the end of Elysium. I swapped from Pom to Acorn before Styx and got hit a total of 9 times on the final fight, 5 absorbed by the acorn, then burning two deaths by getting one-shot.

Level up Guan Yu before doing any runs with it, kids.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Wait, wait wait wait wait

Is Zagreu's three skulled shoulder armor . . . CERB OH NO

It's just armor, not real bones, and it lets Cerberus know how much zag loves him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hades confirms that everyone's skull pauldrons and such are Titan relics.