Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Just used BK in the last bossfight of Hard Tombs last night, chewed the turret generators decently and did enough damage to Nerd Boy to keep him far away and eating turret/drone, once he came down from the perches.

Double daily last night - Hard Tombs (season), Hard Arena which was part of the cleansing of the heretics Hyenas heretics PURIFY WITH LEAD! <insert Division Marine here>, and also cleared the 3 Named Elites for that one, and then it was just three Activities...

Oh. Three of the map areas where I knew Hyenas ran were friendly, because of poo poo I'd done earlier. One, I think was invaded, and thus I went way south... and kept running into True Sons poo poo, which led to TS bounties, which I cleared, which then led to rando patrols of TS or H, gently caress WHERE'S THE ACTIVITIES because time was running out, and I finally cleared a Propaganda just as the clock ran out!

Oh, and all that Sons rubbish cleared the Ubiclub weekly, for piddly cash and Ubi XP :fap:.

And, uh, since I was running hard, I may have actually lost reward items because my inventory maxed out somewhere along the way. :smithicide:

Named cache from the season puked up a decent-rolled Virginian, so Ol' Robo-Yeller gonna get put down. :clint:

Five hours of grind - I may need sedation here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Psion posted:

I think so, but it's not top tier - you are right the damage output just isn't quite there. On the positive side, BK is significantly less bad than the other exotic LMG

The Pestilence is easily one of the strongest weapons available and is probably the overall best exotic weapon in the entirety of the game.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

DarkDobe posted:

Pummel is always good on shotties.
Close and personal works.

Pummel requires 3 kills in 20 seconds. I wouldn't use it except on the 870 or SPAS12; the burst damage just isn't there for the lower end shotguns.

tweet my meat posted:

The Pestilence is easily one of the strongest weapons available and is probably the overall best exotic weapon in the entirety of the game.

It's a good DZ gun for countering armor regen assholes. I've never been particularly impressed with it outside of that fairly narrow niche. Like don't get me wrong, it's fine but people's obsession with is weird.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Use it with Vile or a creeping death backpack.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Neither has an effect on it, unless that was changed in a patch and not written down in any of the patch notes. Pestilence DOT is specifically not a status effect, it is its own thing. Creeping Death does not spread the Pestilence effect, and Vile damage procs are based on your grenade damage and are completely unrelated.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

tweet my meat posted:

Not in any practical sense, no? In terms of dps it's out-bursted by approximately everything and out-sustained by most, has no real synergy with status builds, is outclassed in any dps build, and because it's an exotic with fixed attachments can't take advantage of the many ways to make a high-end LMG shine.

i'm definitely gonna need you to make a case here, please.

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 13, 2020

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Against exotic guns like the Eagle Bearer, Diamondback, Liberty, Merciless, Bighorn, and Ravenous the Pestilence at least works for most things. Against the exotics that are good - Nemesis, Mantis, Sweet Dreams, Backfire, Chatterbox, Lady Death, Chameleon - the Pestilence at least fills a mid-range niche within the exotics.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Sweet Dreams is only considered good because it's a stupid gimmick stick. :colbert:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

UnknownMercenary posted:

Pummel requires 3 kills in 20 seconds. I wouldn't use it except on the 870 or SPAS12; the burst damage just isn't there for the lower end shotguns.

I think when I looked at the mop vs a high damage Custom 870 they have the same damage. So pummel is good on the Six12, at least that's my impression

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

UnknownMercenary posted:

Sweet Dreams is only considered good because it's a stupid gimmick stick. :colbert:

true but that gimmick is extremely useful

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Morter posted:

I think when I looked at the mop vs a high damage Custom 870 they have the same damage.

They don't.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

tweet my meat posted:

Nah, not at all, and I say that as a die hard LMG guy who used it for a couple months around the end of season 1. Lady Death and Chameleon have it beaten by a wide margin, and that's just full-auto weapons.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Lady Death and Chameleon require relatively CQC builds. Pestilence does not. There is a benefit in the inherent safety of range. It does not however pump out the most raw damage no matter what build you use. I think calling it a good midtier exotic is a good spot for it. It doesn't deserve the amount of poo poo it gets ITT though.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Psion posted:

I think so, but it's not top tier - you are right the damage output just isn't quite there. On the positive side, BK is significantly less bad than the other exotic LMG, never reloading IS cool and fun, and the Negev is a decent base model. The sustain damage is pretty cool but it doesn't really have a good way to make full use of that sustain against anything that isn't a CC-stunned heavy.

4 BKs just holding down the button on Dragov and company is something we should all experience at least once, though.

4 BK+Negotiator's you melt Dragov and his shield bros in three seconds tops.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

vyst posted:

Lady Death and Chameleon require relatively CQC builds. Pestilence does not. There is a benefit in the inherent safety of range. It does not however pump out the most raw damage no matter what build you use. I think calling it a good midtier exotic is a good spot for it. It doesn't deserve the amount of poo poo it gets ITT though.

I think it's just a response to the bursts of crazy love. Pestilence is fine and we end up in this cycle where people come in saying it's the best gun in the game then other people point out it's actually nowhere near that and we run in a circle. It was fun to run on a triple DoT build with Ongoing Directive and Vile

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
At the very very least the Pestilence is way better than the BK (which is like a worse high end lmg with steady handed or fast hands) outside of very niche stuff where you need to control your dps output like in Dark Hours.

If raw damage is your only factor then yeah it definitely gets outdamaged by other options, but being able to keep up constant damage even after you stop firing is incredibly useful. You can go into cover, heal, throw nades, use skills, and retreat all while your gun is still doing its work. Most reds just aren't an issue as they're just going to die to the plague damage when it spreads to them. Ever since the update it also works on skill proxies and robotics which just get absolutely deleted by the debuff. So in addition to solid damage, it also offers safety and the ability to negate certain threats like red enemies or warhounds. It especially shines in solo heroics and the like where that survivability is one of the biggest factors.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Pesty is satisfying to use and I think is good for general play in that it lets you as mentioned- get work done while healing/reloading/moving. You can do stuff like stack the DOT to its max killing a Warhound or a skill proxy, and that'll go to work on enemies that just refuse to come out of cover. Or it'll chew up redbars while you work on other targets. An AFK Turret build is probably safer but Pesty is at least a bit engaging.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

You know I thought eclipse was spreading pestilence but you're right; it's not a status. I did end up moving away from it but only because I think it's more fun to have to close distance to do anything. Bullets are the least interesting way to interact with any game.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Yup, you're right, just checked and i realized I misread. What I thought was 1.0 at a quick glance was 1.6. Welp, now time to try this shotty with pummel.

:getin:

Olds
Oct 17, 2005
Pestilence doesn't do much for me: DoT wise, a fire Eclipse build spreads a lot more damage up front and over multiple targets very quickly, and red damage wise I could just one shot the red enemy with a M1AC instead of waiting for him to die.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Fire eclipse doesn't work on big dog, but weirdly, pestilence does.

Olds
Oct 17, 2005

Casnorf posted:

Fire eclipse doesn't work on big dog, but weirdly, pestilence does.

Technically, it can if you use the Firestarter sawed off, though it doesn't do much damage. It's also what EMP sticky/Jammer pulse is for. You can also bypass the armor entirely by shooting the warhounds in the legs; apparently they are not armored there.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Olds posted:

Technically, it can if you use the Firestarter sawed off, though it doesn't do much damage. It's also what EMP sticky/Jammer pulse is for. You can also bypass the armor entirely by shooting the warhounds in the legs; apparently they are not armored there.

I need to confirm this but i dont think it's the whole leg. They have these red joints on them that are the weak spot. I've never tested it one way or another but experience tells me i think it's this.

Easiest leg shots for Chameleon though lol

Olds
Oct 17, 2005

vyst posted:

I need to confirm this but i dont think it's the whole leg. They have these red joints on them that are the weak spot. I've never tested it one way or another but experience tells me i think it's this.

Easiest leg shots for Chameleon though lol

The red joints are actually the exception, for they only disable the machine gun dogs. Shooting them through the legs is how I got a triple warhound kill with a Headhunter powered TAC-50 shot on legendary.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Olds posted:

The red joints are actually the exception, for they only disable the machine gun dogs. Shooting them through the legs is how I got a triple warhound kill with a Headhunter powered TAC-50 shot on legendary.

Ahh got it

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
I've just completed WoNY, and I wanted to start working on hard-wired. Everything online says I need to finish tidal basin on wt5. What is the modern difficulty equivalent? Doing it on normal at 40 didn't unlock the project.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I don’t know for certain but if you boosted a character to level 30 to start WONY right away you likely already unlocked it. Completing the project gives you blueprints to make your own so if you can make them at the crafting bench then you don’t need to do anything else.

The other thing about hardwired is that because it’s a skill tier set and the core attribute can’t ever get better than what it already is you only ever really need to make 1 of each piece. After that reroll the minor attribute to whatever the max stat you currently have stored and update it as necessary.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
So, I went to check again to see if I was able to make those hard wired pieces, and apparently now I can? I checked before running Tidal Basin, never got the project, it just skipped the project and unlocked them without telling me I guess? /shrug Maybe I just missed them.

Now I just have to grind out hard wired tech, only need 35.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Haerc posted:

So, I went to check again to see if I was able to make those hard wired pieces, and apparently now I can? I checked before running Tidal Basin, never got the project, it just skipped the project and unlocked them without telling me I guess? /shrug Maybe I just missed them.

Now I just have to grind out hard wired tech, only need 35.

You should be able to manage that by doing the invaded missions and then Tidal Basin ( Black Tusk drop the tech ). Also you could just check the targeted loot and run the District/Mission that's dropping gearset stuff ( the green armour icon on the targeted loot map ). Any Hardwired pieces you get can be recalibrated effortlessly to what you need it to be.

Right now for example, you'll wanna hit up Two Bridges in NYC, do the CPs, any available bounties and any of the events that pop up in the district ( Executions, Hostage Rescues, Patrols etc ). In general Districts are better for farming targeted loot than missions ( I'm hanging out for The Summit to be featuring Masks so I might have a better chance at getting a Vile Mask - my current white whale )

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Oct 16, 2020

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
My boosted 30 char for WoNY came with HW blueprints and components, enough to build three pieces IIRC.

Got lucky last night - Wall Street Hard (Season Daily, IIRC) gave me Sweet Dreams, and running around whacking Hyenas for the weekly, snagged another Chameleon.

And a Lady Death.

And a Vile out of a box.

(Dear RNG: I hav ben a gud boye, please give Pesty and Imperil Deenasty. Will leave milk and brood-spectum antybotiks,)

Plus more chunks of gearsets, might have three pieces of Eclipse now.

Doing the Bank on Hard for the weekly also counted for League, and I didn't *totally* embarrass myself. Will grind out the last bits of the DC weekly tonight, as well as whatever dailies I can pull off, and then it's off to fail horribly at League targets. :v:

Legacy caches from the Season rewards are reliably puking up HF parts - think last night was another backpack and holster.

Wish the game let me rip stats from named items, I have a spare Mop that I'd love to have the 10% AoK from. Plus stuff off my five Acostas, et cetera.

If you've already maxed the speciality points (Technicians for me), does finishing out the Field Research do anything?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Ygolonac posted:

My boosted 30 char for WoNY came with HW blueprints and components, enough to build three pieces IIRC.

Got lucky last night - Wall Street Hard (Season Daily, IIRC) gave me Sweet Dreams, and running around whacking Hyenas for the weekly, snagged another Chameleon.

And a Lady Death.

And a Vile out of a box.

(Dear RNG: I hav ben a gud boye, please give Pesty and Imperil Deenasty. Will leave milk and brood-spectum antybotiks,)

Plus more chunks of gearsets, might have three pieces of Eclipse now.

Doing the Bank on Hard for the weekly also counted for League, and I didn't *totally* embarrass myself. Will grind out the last bits of the DC weekly tonight, as well as whatever dailies I can pull off, and then it's off to fail horribly at League targets. :v:

Legacy caches from the Season rewards are reliably puking up HF parts - think last night was another backpack and holster.

Wish the game let me rip stats from named items, I have a spare Mop that I'd love to have the 10% AoK from. Plus stuff off my five Acostas, et cetera.

If you've already maxed the speciality points (Technicians for me), does finishing out the Field Research do anything?
I dunno how it works if you paid for the specializations, but the field research gives you crafting plans and items and stuff.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Ahh, OK. Probably why I have a bunch of extra poo poo on the booted char.

Probably swap over to Firewall for a while to Vile it up with fire. :supaburn:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Ygolonac posted:

Ahh, OK. Probably why I have a bunch of extra poo poo on the booted char.

Probably swap over to Firewall for a while to Vile it up with fire. :supaburn:

By fire be purged!

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Fabricated posted:

I dunno how it works if you paid for the specializations, but the field research gives you crafting plans and items and stuff.

You still have to do the field research to get the blueprints, skins, etc.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Guess Random Nurgle Generator took the night off, didn't really get poo poo.

Did clear the secret Detention Level mission, and between that and Roosevelt Island, I was puking hard. (Motion sickness - the fog at RI did not help, and stooging about after clearing the prison for the collectibles was the kicker.

Took an embarassingly long time to access Cassie Mendoza - "oh hey, the non-highlighted door can be interacted with?" :derp: Did let me stumble into two BT checkpoints to clear, which too the Theater off lockdown. Also one public execution, which I cleared almost all of, but the last enemy ran...right to another execution. Saved both the hostages at both, got two bounties but only ran one.

Ended up running the alert level for the WH zone to 3, went to take the northwest CP, ran into a patrol right at the edge of the CP detection range, finally ground everyone down and took the post. Flare Time! Aaaaand my reinforcements got into a fight with another ground of enemies (including a named elite) 150 yards out, so I had to go save their rear end.

Did clear two dailies and some more of the DC weekly, and somehow ground out some league level without actually going to do specific league poo poo.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

Ygolonac posted:

Did clear the secret Detention Level mission, and between that and Roosevelt Island, I was puking hard. (Motion sickness - the fog at RI did not help, and stooging about after clearing the prison for the collectibles was the kicker.

Just in case you've missed it (and I have no idea if it's helpful!) - the options menu has a toggle under Gameplay:

I finally cobbled together the eclipse set (still lacking either "recommended" Exotic) for a burn status effects build. Big thanks to ZombyDog for his advice, it's a lot of fun.
Is there a trick to finding the named Pryomaniac Rifle or should I just keep hoping it appears in targeted loot zones?

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Lamquin posted:

Just in case you've missed it (and I have no idea if it's helpful!) - the options menu has a toggle under Gameplay:

I finally cobbled together the eclipse set (still lacking either "recommended" Exotic) for a burn status effects build. Big thanks to ZombyDog for his advice, it's a lot of fun.
Is there a trick to finding the named Pryomaniac Rifle or should I just keep hoping it appears in targeted loot zones?
Best bet is still targeted loot, I've also started messing about with the Mechanical Animal named AR for the Overcharge effect. I've also switched to the Survivalist over Firewall - Incendiary grenades, +10% Skill haste when in cover, +10% team damage to enemies with status effect and the crossbow is actually useful for blowing armour off tanks ( your biggest weakness if you're running Firewall ). Straight up though, any weapon class you like using, with Eyeless if you're using the Blinder Firefly, Ignited if you're setting stuff on fire, Sadist if you're running the Stinger Hive, Perpetuation for extending the Status duration and Future Perfect for the overcharge is fine - The named weapons have the perfect versions of the talents you're after but you're restricted to a specific weapon frame ( I'm not a huge fan of using the rifle with Perfect Perpetuation for example even though it's skin is my favourite ) - the non named weapons are still worth chasing if they're boosting damage paired with your preferred flavour of status effect.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Lamquin posted:

For the Pyromaniac (named M4) your best bet is to farm bounties on assault rifle zones. I wouldn't bother with it much and just use a weapon with vindictive if you want to give the group some CHC and CHD or the usual combo of Sweet Dreams/Mechanical animal.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
In today's episode of "What Build is that?", we ask the viewer
* Do you have a set of True Patriot Armour not doing anything?
* A Sleipnir LMG or any LMG with the Frenzy Talent?
* The Gunner Spec unlocked that you're looking for an excuse to use?

If you've answered yes, this may be something you'd like to try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS1PqUzy_qA

My current True Patriot build is this.

All pieces rolled for Weapon Damage, which means you do have to be pretty lucky with your True Patriot finds as you'll want to have good secondary stat rolls because you'll be rolling off the armour ( my Chest piece has Skill Haste which will want replacing soon enough ). My Sleipnir is just ok, I would like one with better rolls but I haven't recalibrated it yet. With True Patriot's +30% mag size and the Gunner spec Large Pouch ( +50 rounds ) you'll have a mag of 130 rounds, which by my calculation that should be an increase of +48% Rate of Fire and +48% weapon damage for 5 seconds after reload. You get even bigger numbers if you care to roll with a Glass Cannon chest ( Sacrifice ) & Vigilance backpack that gets very close to my Baker's Dozen damage output but I'd rather not have the incoming 60% amp damage, and the whole team benefits from the True Patriot buffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
TU 11.1 Update is live, patch notes are here. The ability to set your own targeted loot is pretty sweet.