Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Maxwell Lord posted:

Except a cop.

Lol touche

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
It can't be much of a surprise now but gently caress me Amber Heard is an unpleasant woman. I don't really know that it's fair to say oh well they're both toxic anymore. This new tape where she mocks him and says go and tell the world you're a victim because no one is going to believe you is straight up abuser talk.

Isn't Sia also Heard's ex or am I thinking of someone else?

https://twitter.com/Sia/status/1316908028038447104?s=19

I can't speak to the quality of that video. But the Daily Mail have it and I didn't want to link to them.

https://twitter.com/Sia/status/1316915602720739328?s=19

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I feel increasingly bad for thinking Johnny Depp abused Amber Heard. The more that comes out the more obvious it is that yeah he was the clear victim.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I feel increasingly bad for thinking Johnny Depp abused Amber Heard. The more that comes out the more obvious it is that yeah he was the clear victim.

I think it's something we've all done and people are going to continue to do. It's a shame that so many of the voices and outlets that ran endless 'Johnny Depp is an abuser' pieces have stayed so quiet about this since.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

DrVenkman posted:

I think it's something we've all done and people are going to continue to do. It's a shame that so many of the voices and outlets that ran endless 'Johnny Depp is an abuser' pieces have stayed so quiet about this since.

None of this would have ever come out if Amber Heard hadn't written that loving "#metoo" op-ed for the Washington Post when the Harvey Weinstein stuff came out.

Edit: That video is from January and I don't know what it contains in regards to Amber Heard because the guy who posted it rambles on for way too long at the start.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Oct 16, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
To be honest, it’s not like there was any wiggle room at the time. When the story broke, anyone who even attempted to advocate for Depp or tried to go “well we really don’t have all the information, maybe Johnny Depp isn’t beating his wife all the time.” was just immediately brow-beaten with the appropriate, woke “believe women” mantra.

There is also a non-zero contingent of people who are eagerly anticipating the cancellation of certain actors they already don’t like, and Depp had been one of Hollywood’s leading men for absolute decades at that point, not to mention that all of his pre-Pirates films really placed him squarely in the sights of a particularly sensitive demographic, and one that you could have easily expected to turn on Depp in a heartbeat. Remember what happened with Aziz Ansari and his famously bad date? When #MeToo was building momentum, you could have literally destroyed any man’s career with an anonymous letter, or at the very least cause them an insane amount of turmoil and grief with absolutely zero consequences. This was not double sided, since we also all remember when Anthony Bourdain’s GF got outed as a child-grooming sexual predator and... uh, like nothing happened to her (in part because she’s lead such a huge charge against another, more easily hatable sexual predator).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Depp was also easily hateable for pissing away an insane fortune in incredibly stupid ways.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

It also didn't help that the only person who went to bat for Depp at the time was JK Rowling, which had the double whammy of not only sounding like like a cynical attempt to try to keep the Fantastic Beasts franchise (another prime example of a "why won't this guy and his dumb schtick just GO AWAY" Johnny Depp role) from backlash but she was already getting called out for her weird politics and TERFness at the time (she was still in her "accidental retweet" phase as opposed go her current "vomiting Daily Mail talking points on Twitter" phase)

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 16, 2020

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Depp was also one of those rear end in a top hat celebrities that wrecks hotel rooms.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He did a bunch of stuff that made it easy to dislike him. Hell he still does dumb poo poo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's really bizarre that Doug Stanhope of all people 100% called this immediately after Amber Heard first made her allegations.

March 16 2016

https://www.thewrap.com/johnny-depp-is-being-blackmailed-by-amber-heard-heres-how-i-know-guest-column/

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Say whatever you want about Doug Stanhope but he’s a ridiculously intelligent human being

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/PageSix/status/1317144989193932801?s=20

Yes, and?

MachineryNoise
Jan 13, 2008

So I shout "Set your life on fire!"

Bust Rodd posted:

To be honest, it’s not like there was any wiggle room at the time. When the story broke, anyone who even attempted to advocate for Depp or tried to go “well we really don’t have all the information, maybe Johnny Depp isn’t beating his wife all the time.” was just immediately brow-beaten with the appropriate, woke “believe women” mantra.

There is also a non-zero contingent of people who are eagerly anticipating the cancellation of certain actors they already don’t like, and Depp had been one of Hollywood’s leading men for absolute decades at that point, not to mention that all of his pre-Pirates films really placed him squarely in the sights of a particularly sensitive demographic, and one that you could have easily expected to turn on Depp in a heartbeat. Remember what happened with Aziz Ansari and his famously bad date? When #MeToo was building momentum, you could have literally destroyed any man’s career with an anonymous letter, or at the very least cause them an insane amount of turmoil and grief with absolutely zero consequences. This was not double sided, since we also all remember when Anthony Bourdain’s GF got outed as a child-grooming sexual predator and... uh, like nothing happened to her (in part because she’s lead such a huge charge against another, more easily hatable sexual predator).

Asia Argento doesn't really have a career outside of Italy and France, so it's not like North American backlash can do much to her.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

MachineryNoise posted:

Asia Argento doesn't really have a career outside of Italy and France, so it's not like North American backlash can do much to her.

I don't think she has a career in Italy anymore either. The backlash against her revealing sexual abuse was loving massive there. Not the news she groomed underage boys, her allegations against others.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

It also didn't help that the only person who went to bat for Depp at the time was JK Rowling, which had the double whammy of not only sounding like like a cynical attempt to try to keep the Fantastic Beasts franchise (another prime example of a "why won't this guy and his dumb schtick just GO AWAY" Johnny Depp role) from backlash but she was already getting called out for her weird politics and TERFness at the time (she was still in her "accidental retweet" phase as opposed go her current "vomiting Daily Mail talking points on Twitter" phase)
She wasn't the only one, its just that shes the one that got the most attention. I got a bit suspicious when Vanessa Paradis, who is the mother of his two children and I'm pretty sure split with Depp because he was cheating on her with Heard, called bullshit and came out in support of him. She wasn't even the only ex of his that did that either.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Almost no one was actually 'cancelled' for #metoo, so why get so worked up about the one false accusation?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

graventy posted:

Almost no one was actually 'cancelled' for #metoo, so why get so worked up about the one false accusation?

Because I feel personally guilty about having participated in the false accusation. I told it to other people, I called Depp a lovely person, I hosed up on this one. So, I dunno, I think I need to take some time to examine my own bias and not be so quick to give into mob mentality in the future, especially not over things I only have secondhand information on.

It's important to take responsibility for your mistakes and make an effort to understand why you made them, even small ones like jumping to conclusions about a celebrity based on things you've heard online. Because if you don't you're inevitability going to make that same mistake in the future, and you might make it in a bigger and more damaging way.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

graventy posted:

Because Depp actually did lose what was left of his career, and if none of the people who actually did horrible poo poo are getting consequences for it, someone who's actually genuinely innocent really loving shouldn't be.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Because Depp actually did lose what was left of his career, and if none of the people who actually did horrible poo poo are getting consequences for it, someone who's actually genuinely innocent really loving shouldn't be.

Depp has multiple films releasing and plenty of work lined up though?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rhyno posted:

Depp has multiple films releasing and plenty of work lined up though?

...looking at his IMDB, unless they've split Fantastic Beasts 3 into multiple parts, that's the literal only thing he has lined up, and he's had a grand total of one non-indie role (Fantastic Beasts 2) since the shitstorm happened (and very explicitly lost the Jack Sparrow role over it, which was pretty much his golden goose). do you know something we all don't?

e: oh, he did the lead VA role in Sherlock Gnomes, I guess that's also something?

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 16, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

He was due for a reinvention anyways. Hopefully now that the truth is out, once filming returns to something resembling normality some new director can do for him what Tarantino did for Travolta in Pulp Fiction.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just saw a trailer for a new film where he's playing a photographer and didn't they say he was going to be part of the PotC reboot?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Him agreeing to do those tone deaf cologne commercials really didn’t help with his public image in the middle of all this either

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rhyno posted:

I just saw a trailer for a new film where he's playing a photographer

news to me!

quote:

and didn't they say he was going to be part of the PotC reboot?

hell no, they're rebooting it specifically because the allegations made him poison and they want to divorce the brand from Jack Sparrow. he's not involved at all.

e: that photographer movie must be Minamata, which is indie and doesn't have a US distributor, but actually looks pretty drat good

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

...looking at his IMDB, unless they've split Fantastic Beasts 3 into multiple parts, that's the literal only thing he has lined up, and he's had a grand total of one non-indie role (Fantastic Beasts 2) since the shitstorm happened (and very explicitly lost the Jack Sparrow role over it, which was pretty much his golden goose). do you know something we all don't?

e: oh, he did the lead VA role in Sherlock Gnomes, I guess that's also something?

Aren’t they making three more Fantastic Beasts movies? Like, I have no idea why, they’re terrible, and Rowling is toxic now, but I’m almost positive the plan is for five movies, and has been from the start.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

thrawn527 posted:

Aren’t they making three more Fantastic Beasts movies? Like, I have no idea why, they’re terrible, and Rowling is toxic now, but I’m almost positive the plan is for five movies, and has been from the start.

afaik the original plan was for 5, but IMDB only lists up to 3, so I wouldn't be surprised if COVID + Rowling being toxic + FB2 underperforming made them cut it to 3.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Whether or not there's a Fantastic Beasts 4 will probably depend entirely on how much money number 3 makes.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Yeah I’m not sure why this assertion that Rowling’s TERFdom has harmed the franchise is fairly widespread. I’m not saying that Rowling isn’t terrible, I just think 97% of Harry Potter fans don’t give a poo poo.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 16, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

Yeah I’m not sure where this assertion that Rowling’s TERFdom has harmed the franchise is coming from. I’m not saying that Rowling isn’t terrible, I just think 97% of Harry Potter fans don’t give a poo poo.

I think it's enough that the money people are scared of it. There's an open world Harry Potter game coming to the next gen consoles and the people making it have been trying to de-emphasize any involvement she may have had with the story and writing in the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

Yeah I’m not sure why this assertion that Rowling’s TERFdom has harmed the franchise is fairly widespread. I’m not saying that Rowling isn’t terrible, I just think 97% of Harry Potter fans don’t give a poo poo.

JK Rowling's stuff has gotten some pretty noteworthy negative press, to the point other Harry Potter related material is explicitly dividing itself from her. At very least she is short-term negative for the brand.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pirate Jet posted:

i mean, in my anecdotal experience, 97% of HP fans are angry as hell about the situation and are pretty much done giving the franchise any money, and many have moved on to vaguely-similar things like the Percy Jackson books. :shrug: like, JK Rowling being a huge poo poo seems to have basically killed Harry Potter's relevance.

because it's not just that she's a TERF asshat, but her being a TERF asshat has also made people view stuff in the books in a much less charitable light (ie the only asian being named Cho Chang, the goblins being jewish stereotypes, the absolute clunkiness of the gay metaphor with lycanthropy, etc). people can't really divorce the art from the artist because it turns out the art was bad too and they just never noticed.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, like my boomer mom is pissed about it and she's not even a big Harry Potter fan, and while supportive of trans rights she's not plugged into it very much.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

ImpAtom posted:

JK Rowling's stuff has gotten some pretty noteworthy negative press, to the point other Harry Potter related material is explicitly dividing itself from her. At very least she is short-term negative for the brand.

Plus the Fantastic Beasts movies are the most directly linked to her, since she is the sole screenwriter for the movies, so it’s hard to divide them from her without outright firing her. Which isn’t going to happen barring some sort of mutiny, because she’s also a producer on them.

edit: Also, Fantastic Beasts 4 and 5 are both on IMDB as well, Depp just isn’t listed in it because no cast is, since who knows who will be in them yet.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 17, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Wasn't the second movie absolute dogshit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

The person above you just said Rowling was the sole screen writer.

So yeah, probably.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Groovelord Neato posted:

Oh it was really bad. Like, the first one wasn’t great, but mostly because it felt like two different movies smashed together. But those two movies were okay, just a bit disjointed.

The second one was, no joke, five movies smashed together, and they were all loving terrible. It was shockingly bad.

Whatever you think of her books, she has no business writing screenplays. She at least knows how to structure a book. She has no idea how to structure a screenplay.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
It's hard to say for sure, but one read on the situation is that the second movie was bad enough that the studio was able to force J.K. to let the main movies' big screenwriter join as a co-writer for 3. So the second movie and Rowling current reputation is spooking the studio at least.

But yeah, Rowling basically wrote Fantastic Beasts 2 as a very messy book and then just sort of awkwardly formatted it into a movie. The really, stupidly long flashback in the tombs in particular stands out as one of those big reveal chapters that wedges itself into a book right before the climax. Except it's a movie so, you know, it's just a bunch of characters awkwardly standing around for exposition. There's a lot like that, but that one in particular stands out. I saw it because my nieces wanted to see it and they liked the spectacle of it, but boy was it a mess.

As far Depp, it looks like his career might recover. I'd personally hope that he's getting himself sorted out, since the alcoholism (regardless of the cause/contributing factors) was also burning a lot of bridges and probably burning himself out hard. I don't know if you can trust the rumors from the set for the last Pirates movie, but I think they were ready to ditch him regardless if he was really showing up aggressively drunk every day.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

...looking at his IMDB

does anybodys imdb look good right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 minutes!
I feel like i'm missing something. Is the tape that came out the one that was in Jan? Did something come out that explicitly shows that Amber lied about the abuse?