Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

eke out posted:

caldwell deserved more credit for "cawfabe"

seriously though, i thought it was a really strong start, i'm looking forward to this campaign

Yeah, cawfabe was loving amazing.

And this is definitely a darker setting, but in no way is the playing actually darker. This episode was hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Haven't listened to ep 1 yet but I enjoyed Jake's insights into creating his character (I think he said it on the short rest). It was something like "when I made hardwon, I accidentally thought your character was already supposed to be a hero, so this time I made the most pathetic person I could think of."

Sort of surprised he went with fighter again after dipping his toes into the waters of spellcasting in hot boy summer, but I guess the spec he picked is at least a little more mechanically interesting than the usual fare. I shudder to think of what Emily can do with Wizard spells though

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

If anyone is still on the fence about paying 5 bucks to the Patreon, it's worth it just to get the ad-free episodes. I've been listening to some older episodes of this and it really breaks immersion when the story abruptly stops so Murph can describe the great experience you'll have using some miscellaneous cream to shave your nutsack.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I assume there'll be a short rest for the first Eldermourne episode, but has there been any indication when they plan to put it up yet?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

tsob posted:

I assume there'll be a short rest for the first Eldermourne episode, but has there been any indication when they plan to put it up yet?

Just went up. They've been moving later and later, hopefully they get back to a thursday schedule at some point.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Yep really enjoyed it, Murph with the grim dark and everyone else trying to goof fits well for me but I’ve said it before they just have such a good chemistry, good DM, and the dnd podcast formula down they could run any scenario imo

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Do it ironically posted:

Yep really enjoyed it, Murph with the grim dark and everyone else trying to goof fits well for me but I’ve said it before they just have such a good chemistry, good DM, and the dnd podcast formula down they could run any scenario imo

Yeah, I was in tears laughing at points at the improv in their most recent monster madness stream (I eat another goodberry) and that was about as flimsy a premise as you could imagine. I don't think there's anything this group could do that wouldn't work, short of a "nobody's allowed to be funny" rule, and I don't think they're going to be doing that any time soon.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Does anyone recall from the episode 0 if Emily clarified how Fia can use swords on top of being a Wizard and a Cleric? It seems like some real min/maxing poo poo to get her preferred flavour of Witch in to the campaign, since witches aren't a 5e class; but neither Wizards or Clerics are capable of using swords on looking it up so I'm just wondering if it's something Murph house-ruled, if they're using a different strain of Cleric (I assume it's that, rather than a Wizard variant at least) from one of the expansions like Xanathar's Guide or if I just missed something in the base class setups that allows for either class to use a sword. If Murph and Emily work out a way to allow her books to be familiars a la PawPaw at some point she could be seriously overpowered too, between having offensive spells, healing spells, physical damage and a familiar. I guess that basically describes Moonshine at the same time though, since she took a level in Barbarian near the end. That still worked out to be entertaining, as well as helping prop up a 4 member party that was kind of under-served in some areas due to it's smaller size too.

Also, Emily and Murph on the Short Rest ragging on Jake for walking back his vision of what Henry would be is great. In about a week or so Henry went from "the most average man ever, average height, average looks, average body" to "he probably looked good in his day and has a really vascular body so he's just kind of Hollywood average, but he's definitely still average height" is hilarious. I do agree that Jake deciding Henry is kind of an old timey boxer is great though, and I wonder if Jake is going to consider changing classes to Monk after their suggestions because it'd be something a bit different for him mechanically. The Echo Knight stuff does sound cool, and I've no idea how broken Echo Monks would be as an idea if Murph wanted to house rule it after Emily's suggestion, but it does sound like a fun idea at the very least.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Fia is a war domain cleric, which gives a bunch of martial abilities and proficiencies. It's also why she was able to attack using her bonus action. I think Emily will be able to come up with some fun combination of cleric and wizard spells, but I don't see how being a war domain cleric could lead to her being overpowered, other than giving her access to heavy armor and automatically preparing half of the standard cleric spells for dealing damage.

Tenik fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 17, 2020

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Well, on it's own I doubt it would. I meant if Bookvar, Philip and/or the other one whose name escapes me become familiars the same way Paw Paw did after a while. Which, I don't know enough to know how reasonable that is, really, but just seems like it could happen. As I should though, the same thing basically happened with Moonshine and never really felt like an issue, so I'm probably antsing over nothing.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Bookvar is a real familiar as per the Find Familiar spell, not the immortal home brew scramble man that Paw Paw was.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

tsob posted:

Well, on it's own I doubt it would. I meant if Bookvar, Philip and/or the other one whose name escapes me become familiars the same way Paw Paw did after a while. Which, I don't know enough to know how reasonable that is, really, but just seems like it could happen. As I should though, the same thing basically happened with Moonshine and never really felt like an issue, so I'm probably antsing over nothing.

Nah, it's a fair concern, especially after her character on a Crown of Candy was able to wipeout multiple battalions by combining sorcerer metamagic and cleric channel divinity while she rode around on her pet dragon. I can see Emily pulling off a couple clutch moves with her familiar. But, after level 5, she's not going to be able to do anything with it due to its low stats, and it will be forgotten like so many other familiars.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Bookvar is a real familiar as per the Find Familiar spell, not the immortal home brew scramble man that Paw Paw was.

Oh right. One thing I'm loving with this new campaign is how the cast are figuring out their characters and changing them through japes and screwing around. I already mentioned Jake and his realization he really liked the idea of his character being a boxer, but Emily and Murph's characterization of one of her books as a coward, while a second is just kind of an rear end in a top hat and the last is basically a pet dog or cat is fun too. I can't wait to see that characterization expand over the next dozen or two episodes, and see how it settles out. Plus, seeing rear end in a top hat pets come around is always fun. It was one of the best parts of the Pokemon anime, watching Ash and Charizard for instance. It'll be great when Fia does eventually read Philip. Caldwell's character seems kind of stiff by comparison to Fia or Henry, but I'm sure he'll have more chance to stretch his legs and expand the character or show him off in the next couple of episodes.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Tenik posted:

Nah, it's a fair concern, especially after her character on a Crown of Candy was able to wipeout multiple battalions by combining sorcerer metamagic and cleric channel divinity while she rode around on her pet dragon. I can see Emily pulling off a couple clutch moves with her familiar. But, after level 5, she's not going to be able to do anything with it due to its low stats, and it will be forgotten like so many other familiars.

I doubt it'll be forgotten, but I think they're going to stick with the whole "He's a book" thing. That kind of limits what he can really do, even if she did threaten to get him killed and bring him back as an animal familiar. I can see it possibly becoming overpowered, but at some point I think Murph would put his foot down and say "No, it's a book, seriously, he can't climb trees and fling poo poo at people regardless of how funny it would be" or something similar.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Donkey posted:

If anyone is still on the fence about paying 5 bucks to the Patreon, it's worth it just to get the ad-free episodes. I've been listening to some older episodes of this and it really breaks immersion when the story abruptly stops so Murph can describe the great experience you'll have using some miscellaneous cream to shave your nutsack.

I think podcasts are starting to get the memo that having every show do a hilarious 3 minute riff on ball-shaving got old real loving fast. Headgum also has kinda scummy sponsors, like that one straight-up gambling site. I've gotta wonder how much of Murph's soul died trying to read out that Norton 360 for Gamers ad.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 18, 2020

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Pennsylvanian posted:

I think podcasts are starting to get the memo that having every show do a hilarious 3 minute riff on ball-shaving got old real loving fast. Headgum also has kinda scummy sponsors, like that one straight-up gambling site. I've gotta wonder how much of Murph's soul died trying to read out that Norton 360 for Gamers ad.

Woof. Echoing the goon upthread who said the $5 is worth it just to avoid mid-show ads. I wasn’t even aware of all of these lovely ad reads.

I know this is a bit ridiculous to say but I think Short Rest might legit be my favorite currently running podcast. Favorite of all time is probably 8 Bit Book Club, and Short Rest is about as close to that vibe as one can get.

Actually, TBH, Mixed Bag (the once a month $10 show) is probably the closest since it’s often a review.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I really enjoy that the new world is basically an unresolved argument over whether to run a grimdark low-magic campaign or a wild and crazy magic fairyland one

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

That was a pretty funny first episode, if a bit chaotic.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.
Any sense of grimdark went out the window when Emily piped up with "wait... no starspawn?"

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Made it through the first campaign. Overall, I liked it. It was cool to hear a playthrough that was casual in terms of roleplay and world-building but still had actual stakes for the players, and I think that's kind of a unique niche among the "bigger" actual play casts.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i made bookvar be a goat... i took his milk

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

The PA secretary of state also being named Boockvar and recently winning a Supreme Court case is causing some serious Baader-Meinhof phenomenon for me.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the image of an animated book trying to crumble feta by mashing it is truly disgusting

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
If there was ever any doubt that this campaign would retain it's hijinx and silliness despite the grimmer atmosphere of the setting, the first 10 or 15 minutes of this episode blew them right out the window. My only wish at this point is that the gang end up passing through a Coronercon. I also loved Zerk getting his own sprite.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

tsob posted:

My only wish at this point is that the gang end up passing through a Coronercon

I am 99.9% certain, based on the rules of comedy, that this is actually going to happen

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

tsob posted:

My only wish at this point is that the gang end up passing through a Coronercon.

Murph does seem to like turning off-hand jokes into significant plot elements or callbacks 40 episodes later. That's also why my wish for the campaign is that we eventually hear the story of the Bonkginya family.

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable
Murph is a goddamn maniac... And I love him.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

tsob posted:

If there was ever any doubt that this campaign would retain it's hijinx and silliness despite the grimmer atmosphere of the setting, the first 10 or 15 minutes of this episode blew them right out the window. My only wish at this point is that the gang end up passing through a Coronercon. I also loved Zerk getting his own sprite.

It’s Dr Zonk

TakenForGranite
Jan 13, 2015

eke out posted:

I am 99.9% certain, based on the rules of comedy, that this is actually going to happen

I'm 100% betting that it'll happen, but it just screams perfect live show material.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
If they don’t go to coronercon and it’s not ridiculously awesome I will flip a table

Second episode was a lot of fun

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I love love love that (a) none of them have charisma worth a drat and (b) Murph keeps making them do charisma checks.

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

They just need to be smarter and not try to bluff or lie for absolutely no reason.

Fia Bonkigna 🤨

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

King Crab posted:

They just need to be smarter and not try to bluff or lie for absolutely no reason.

Fia Bonkigna 🤨

They also need to not roll 0s on their deception checks.

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

docbeard posted:

They also need to not roll 0s on their deception checks.

That was hilarious, so I think that was worth it

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
she rolled so bad she gave an npc a backstory

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Farg posted:

she rolled so bad she gave an npc a backstory

I loved that

One thing that I hope changes with this campaign is Emily narrating her character's actions in character voice. IDK why but that's a pet peeve of mine. Personally I love whiplashing between character voice and my own voice to narrate when I play a PC, but I'm guessing she just gets so wrapped up in maintaining the Russian accent that she ends up using it for long periods of time so as not to drop it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Something people in this thread may be interested in: Caldwell just appeared as the guest on the latest episode of Dropout's Adventuring Academy, where he and Brennan Lee Mulligan (the guy who played Deadeye in campaign 1 and DM for of all the Dimension 20 stuff) talk D'n'D for a while. The episode is about 95 minutes long, and I'm only about 20 minutes in, but they've already been talking pretty much exclusively about NaDDPod and Trinyvale and there's some fun details in there. To whit:

* Caldwell was apparently only a small bit more experienced than Jake at D'n'D when he started campaign one, and while he played a bit of the 4th Edition of D'n'D a few times with friends in college it was never something that really stuck and only lasted a short while, so his main experience was Emily and Murph holding a game for him and his wife, Suze, shortly before campaign one started.
* This is probably not surprising to most, but Duncle is just short hand for "Dungeon Uncle" since Caldwell was, in his own words, a bit looser with the rules and let people get away with more shenanigans.
* Trinyvale as a name and basic idea was something Caldwell came up with in highschool. and doodled some of the ideas of on his old Deviantart account but didn't really properly form until the gang's Patreon reached a pledge amount where they promised one more episode a month and Murph realized it was just more than he could realistically do to have an extra main episode every month, so Caldwell stepped in since he was interested in learning to DM.
* Caldwell's view of Trinyvale was that it started at a time when the main campaign was just stepping up and becoming more serious, and everyone was starting to realize they didn't want to goof around too much at the risk of their characters, so Trinyvale became kind of a release valve and a place where they could get the silliness out of their system.

There's still over an hour of content I haven't seen yet, which I'm sure will have great stuff in it too and the episode may appear at some point on YouTube, since Dropout occasionally posts entire episodes of stuff there to, presumably, entice people (which worked in my case) but for anyone who really wants to see it, it might be worth a one off $5 sub to see it.

As an addendum, I signed up a few weeks ago and between Um, actually..., Game Changer and Breaking News I don't regret it one bit, and I've yet to actually dive in to the Dimension 20 seasons, the majority of Adventuring Academy (I just started watching with this episode because I saw Caldwell was a guest), The Rank Room or any of their other stuff and I would highly recommend it for anyone who's a fan of NaDDPod, since it has a lot of content along those lines or with similar sensibilities, presuming you have the couple of bucks a month (or slightly more a year) to spare.

The episode of Game Changer I watched last night with the guests basically playing a bidding war was amazing for one, with a few mundane tasks they could bid on for monetary gain to start (let me pluck a nose hair and I'll give you X amount we negotiate for instance) before stepping up in a big way with "Like the last 25 pictures on an ex's social media account". Which started with a really high amount of several thousand, because who the gently caress wants to do that but eventually bid down with Grant O'Brien bidding $250 in a bidding war with another contest before turning to the other guy after a few seconds when the host went "going once, going twice" and pleading "wait, you have to outbid me, why aren't you bidding?" and the winner letting the host hold their phone and like the photos as they taped. The other guest, Ally Beardsly from Dimension 20 immediately noped out once the bids went below a few grand, and was just having no part of doing it. The range of reactions across the tasks was great.

tsob fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 27, 2020

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

tsob posted:

The range of reactions across the tasks was great.

Grant: "The only way I can retain some power in this is to make it a perv thing"

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Is this really how it is? They expect me to wait an entire week for a new episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

TakenForGranite posted:

I'm 100% betting that it'll happen, but it just screams perfect live show material.

The 2 Crew did a livestream Q&A yesterday and yeah Murph made an offhand comment that if they do cornercon it's gonna be a live show.

I'm loving the new campaign so far. Jake is getting really into his character and I'm enjoying the journey deeply.