Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Jack Saint- "So Bon Appetit Started Uploading Again..."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-vibEu_Z78

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the darkseed II series could get kinda dull sometimes but there's one single moment in it that will explain everything

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The kings quest vids are still all timers

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Slowbeef and Diabetus just did a play through of A Way Out and it should be on his youtube channel, and it’s up there with their best content.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The utter dread in KQ5 when they get near the town is palpable.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMS-0pa5hCU
A Halloween surprise from Phelous!

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The King's Quest VII false starts especially.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

bessantj posted:

I like some of the videos where Slowbeef and Diabetus mock a game rather than the person playing it.

The Retsupurae videos may not have aged well, but some of them just stick in my head. "My answer will be less than ten minutes because that is the Youtube limit" still makes me laugh, which also shows how old they are.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

my favorite retsupurae thing is still gaming in the clinton years i think

front loaded anvils

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Kickstarter Nonstarters was my favorite thing they ever did. The poo poo some people would try to get crowdfunded... :allears:

Also, I love how this thread has become a Slowbeef appreciation thread now. :unsmith:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dahir Insaat

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Dahir Insaat

Hellbed is top tier

The creepypasta readings are also real good

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

CYBEReris posted:

the darkseed II series could get kinda dull sometimes but there's one single moment in it that will explain everything

That longplayer just would not stop going back to the clown after every single plot development. It added such a wonderfully bizarre element to those videos, where they were not only ripping on the game but also agonizing over how slowly it was being played.

Veotax posted:

The Retsupurae videos may not have aged well, but some of them just stick in my head. "My answer will be less than ten minutes because that is the Youtube limit" still makes me laugh, which also shows how old they are.

Cornshaq was like one of the first ones they made and it's just so good. "I aint gonna die cause it's a WASTE of my TIME!!"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea honestly while there were some things probably didn't age well most of retsupurae's stuff was pretty good about focusing on 'this sucks' rather than just 'you suck', I can get why they'd wanna turn to more normal LP stuff, though, if only to avoid lovely fans taking 'haha this video loving sucks' as an excuse to be dicks to randos.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I understand the decision but I'm still kinda sad that Chip took down most of their retsupuraes.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
one of my old internet friends from 13 years ago got retsupurae'd cause he wouldn't stop using fast-forward while playing Earthbound. devastating stuff.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Pigbuster posted:

That longplayer just would not stop going back to the clown after every single plot development. It added such a wonderfully bizarre element to those videos, where they were not only ripping on the game but also agonizing over how slowly it was being played.

More importantly, as time went on, it was less "what is this player doing" and more "MIKE DAWSON YOU DON'T NEED TO GO BACK TO THE HALL OF DEATH"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's pretty funny they kept the name of the dev who used his likeness and name for the first game and then made him a lame idiot in the sequel.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The actual most important part of the Darkseed 2 longplay is slowbeef editing the ring toss success out

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
If I've never seen a retsupurae, should I bother? Or should I leave it as a relic of 2011?

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

YggiDee posted:

If I've never seen a retsupurae, should I bother? Or should I leave it as a relic of 2011?

Depends on how much you can still enjoy internet stuff from the early 2010s. As someone that stills goes back and rewatches Spoony's stuff, I say yeah check it out but your mileage may vary.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Who's slowbeef?

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Nuns with Guns posted:

Seriously, I've seen similar inane freakouts over the idea of paid Dungeon Mastering. Like if you provide entertainment, can provide better quality entertainment if you have the capital to justify focusing on it more, and people are happy to give you money then why should anyone care?

I'll cop to having this reaction to paid GMing when I first heard about it, then I looked on the LFG for Roll20 and saw a bunch of listings that are like "we already know the story we want and made all our characters and just need a DM to do all the narration, also you have to be an experienced DM with a good radio voice and do character voices and not deviate from the story we want at all and..." And like yeah dude old charge for that too.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Vagabundo posted:

Who's slowbeef?

The inventor of Let's Plays.

You know, this thing where you play video games, then tell people about it in excruciating detail. There's a whole subforum about it if you want to know more.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Grapplejack posted:

I think part of the issue when you start paying people for lps / twitch streaming is that nine times out of ten they slowly start to inhabit a character and you lose the genuineness that comes from it just being 'a thing they do'. Like, you start performing to meet audience expectations to keep getting paid, you know?

[Citation Needed]

Takoluka posted:

More importantly, as time went on, it was less "what is this player doing" and more "MIKE DAWSON YOU DON'T NEED TO GO BACK TO THE HALL OF DEATH"

Oh no, not the Hall of Death! The only way out...is death!

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

YggiDee posted:

There are a few gems from back when they were riffing on LPers themselves, but it’s pretty dated.

Now their riffs on actual game long plays (Last Alert, Ambition, Darkseed, Kings Quest, Hopkins FBI, Deep Freeze, Metroid Other M, Cobra Space Adventure are the highlights IMO) hold up pretty drat good even now because the games are silly as gently caress on top of them being funny in making fun of the game

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

YggiDee posted:

If you've never seen it you can probably leave it, theres definitely funny stuff but sometimes it feels a little nasty and kind of sours the whole thing. Bad webcomics blog type energy.

That said, theres something wonderous about someone poorly playing emulated Mario64 while in the background you hear his computer shrieking in effort to get 20fps out if it

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

YggiDee posted:

the original retsupurae as in "mocking lpers" is kinda dated and occasionally very mean-spirited (though there are some timeless ones that hold up like bowser's evil test) but the later era of commentary over longplays and sometimes their own playthroughs holds up pretty well

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

There's also their amazing riffs on BillyMC's videos who they genuinely love.

It's a shame that Chip deleted his rps from his channel because they were good examples of how to rp without attacking the lper. They mostly used the video footage as an excuse to tell jokes. Especially the Wolverine one.
"I'm the best at what I do, and what I do is slice off my own dick."

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm rewatching their Dahir Insaat reaction vids right now.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm rewatching their Dahir Insaat reaction vids right now.

the surgery one and HELL BED are great, but I forgot his obsession with quad copters.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

MechaX posted:

There are a few gems from back when they were riffing on LPers themselves, but it’s pretty dated.

Now their riffs on actual game long plays (Last Alert, Ambition, Darkseed, Kings Quest, Hopkins FBI, Deep Freeze, Metroid Other M, Cobra Space Adventure are the highlights IMO) hold up pretty drat good even now because the games are silly as gently caress on top of them being funny in making fun of the game

Their vids on Ambition in particular really stand out since it is extremely some outsider art on newgrounds. Wild, unpredictable, and perfect for what they wanted to do.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Libluini posted:

:letsplay:

In other news, it sounds like MovieBob has left The Escapist...again.

https://www.youtube.com/post/Ugzpx-YBxSt6oFdh4AR4AaABCQ

quote:

Announcement
Enthusiast Gaming (parent company of The Escapist) and MovieBob Productions will not renew their contract going forward.

The rights to The Big Picture, Escape to the Movies & Game OverThinker have all been returned to Bob and will continue on his own personal channels.

We will be adjusting our content schedule over the next couple weeks to accommodate these changes.
For now, In The Frame will move to Tuesdays (12 ET) instead of Mondays, and Snapshot will move to Fridays (12 ET) instead of Thursday.

Thank you,

Nick Calandra
Editor-in-Chief

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

YggiDee posted:

Its pretty unlikely to kill you so I say why not?

I love Urban Runner and Mystery of the Druids so I recommend those.

https://youtu.be/uWowTD3OFys

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Retsupurae is a bit depressing in that it seemed to be really popular when it was mean and cheap, then got better and better while losing viewers, until it was genuinely great...and then ended/went on hiatus.

Mystery of the Druids is freaking magical. Used to watch it with my GF and every time we got stuck in another game one of us would suggest using a broken scissors.

Cobra is also great, but really long. Great to have playing in the background while painting or doing other stuff, though.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I remember them doing Ripper, but honestly much prefer the Spoony LP of that

The Retusfrashes were great because so many bad Flash Games

It was interesting watching the Kings Quest longplays at the same time Paw Dugan was doing LPs of those games which were much nicer to them lol

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 16, 2020

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Arist posted:

The actual most important part of the Darkseed 2 longplay is slowbeef editing the ring toss success out

Aye, ya missed pal!

Sephyr posted:

Mystery of the Druids is freaking magical. Used to watch it with my GF and every time we got stuck in another game one of us would suggest using a broken scissors.

My first ever exposure to Druids was Mandalore and Shammy streaming it, so when I found out that retsupurae also did it I was beyond disheartened that in whatever version they were watching, Lowry had been patched to actually sit properly in his chair instead of float above it like a vengeful god.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 16, 2020

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Libluini posted:

You know, this thing where you play video games, then tell people about it in excruciating detail. There's a whole subforum about it if you want to know more.

LOL if you are recording using fraps instead of (for the time) a very expensive capture card that captured EVERYTHING in HD CINEMA QUALITY*. Look, it even has a watermark and everything!

Although their ProtonJon video is correct, sooo many more people tried and failed to lets play because of him :allears:

*Cinema quality 720p

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Shame Boy posted:

LOL if you are recording using fraps instead of (for the time) a very expensive capture card that captured EVERYTHING in HD CINEMA QUALITY*. Look, it even has a watermark and everything!

...er, if you didn't have a capture card, FRAPS was the good option until OBS came along

it was hypercam that had the watermarks that RP made fun of, and... firstly, hypercam was a complete pile of poo poo that nobody should ever use, and secondly, they were using an ultra-limited shareware version that added a watermark when FRAPS was right loving there and iirc didn't watermark your footage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

...er, if you didn't have a capture card, FRAPS was the good option until OBS came along

it was hypercam that had the watermarks that RP made fun of, and... firstly, hypercam was a complete pile of poo poo that nobody should ever use, and secondly, they were using an ultra-limited shareware version that added a watermark when FRAPS was right loving there and iirc didn't watermark your footage

Yeah but in retrospect that’s kind of a silly thing to create a video making fun of someone for.

Especially compared to some of the seriously bizzarre stuff they would find sometimes. Like the person whose camcorder randomly started zooming in right in the middle of their video, so the latter half was a close-up on like 8 pixels of their TV, and not only did they upload it like that, they didn’t even mention it! Those are the ones I remember fondly. Not so much the ones that were like, “Oh, the video quality is bad and she’s pronouncing ‘requiem’ wrong, isn’t that hilarious?”