Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Just watched Shoplifters and wanted to dig deeper into Hirokazu Koreeda's catalog. Where to? Obviously bonus if it's easily available in the US, rental is fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

morestuff posted:

Just watched Shoplifters and wanted to dig deeper into Hirokazu Koreeda's catalog. Where to? Obviously bonus if it's easily available in the US, rental is fine

I haven’t seen Shoplifters but Still Walking is on criterion and easy to see I liked that one. Air Doll is a deeper cut that is also good. Watch Nobody Knows if you want to feel bad

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Thanks everyone for all the space ship recommendations. Especially Sunshine, one I had been meaning to see in the past but had since forgotten about. I'll probably get to that one first

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I'm looking for movies where dudes really beat the hell out of each other, but I would like 'real' movies, not straight action movies. Something where the fights are brutal but also....meaningful?

I watched A Prayer Before Dawn last night, so kind of along those lines. Eastern Promises is another one that comes to mind, and Valhalla Rising.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

ephori posted:

I'm looking for movies where dudes really beat the hell out of each other, but I would like 'real' movies, not straight action movies. Something where the fights are brutal but also....meaningful?

I watched A Prayer Before Dawn last night, so kind of along those lines. Eastern Promises is another one that comes to mind, and Valhalla Rising.

It's only a couple minutes but I always enjoyed James Caan and Kathy Bates kicking the poo poo out of each other at the end of Misery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQrVol9WDW4

This one's TV, but Dan Dority vs. The Captain in Deadwood also comes to mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em7I41ew8C8

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Yes! That Dan Dority fight is exactly the kind of thing I'm after. That was an incredible sequence. That is a great example of what I'm looking for. More of that!

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

It’s an obvious pick but the fight in They Live is an all timer

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

It's a pretty big cheat, since it's an MMA movie, but Warrior has a lot of brutal but also really emotional and character-driven fight scenes. I'd link the final fight but I think it plays x10000 times better in context

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
Looking for a good horror movie or show.

To give you a better idea for what I'm looking for:

Things I enjoy in horror -
-body horror like the thing/the void
-hopeless/depressing stories like apocalypse/dead world scenarios
-cosmic horror like color out of space
-more grounded zombie movies(as overdone as they are) like dawn of the dead 2004, 28 days/weeks later, black summer etc
-slow burn like hidden, 10 cloverfield lane etc

Thing's I am not looking for -
-generic movies like the conjuring or sinister style spooky haunted house/man in the walls type stuff
-comedy/campy stuff(I enjoy the evil dead/ash vs evil dead series but thats about it)
-found footage(though REC 1+2 were good)

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Virginia Slams posted:

-more grounded zombie movies(as overdone as they are) like dawn of the dead 2004, 28 days/weeks later, black summer etc

-generic movies like the conjuring or sinister style spooky haunted house/man in the walls type stuff
-comedy/campy stuff(I enjoy the evil dead/ash vs evil dead series but thats about it)

If you haven't seen them already, Videodrome and From Beyond are ticking a couple of boxes.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
The Fly, too, if you haven't already seen it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The 70s Invasion of the Body Snatchers checks every item you listed

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Virginia Slams posted:

Seems like you may have already seen most of the stuff that fits your description, but my recs would be
Lifeforce
Hobo with a Shotgun
any Cronenberg you haven't seen (including Antiviral and Possessor)
any Stuart Gordon you haven't seen
all the Hellraisers

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Virginia Slams posted:

Some of these are slightly off from what you describe, but there's some crossover so I'm going to throw them out anyway.

- Hereditary
- Suspiria (2018 remake)
- Mother!
- Beyond the Black Rainbow
- The Descent

I normally don't like horror much, but I was on a kick not long ago and really liked some of the above.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012

Origami Dali posted:

If you haven't seen them already, Videodrome and From Beyond are ticking a couple of boxes.

I've seen From Beyond but I'll definitely check out Videodrome.

Wizchine posted:

The Fly, too, if you haven't already seen it.

Surprisingly I haven't I'll probably check it out today.

morestuff posted:

The 70s Invasion of the Body Snatchers checks every item you listed

I've seen like every remake and reimagining of it but never the original I'll throw that on my list.

fenix down posted:

Seems like you may have already seen most of the stuff that fits your description, but my recs would be
Lifeforce
Hobo with a Shotgun
any Cronenberg you haven't seen (including Antiviral and Possessor)
any Stuart Gordon you haven't seen
all the Hellraisers

Just watched Lifeforce thought it was great. I've seen Hobo with a Shotgun, most Stuart Gordon movies and the first 2 Hellraisers and enjoyed them all. I haven't seen many Cronenberg movies so I'll have to look into that.

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Some of these are slightly off from what you describe, but there's some crossover so I'm going to throw them out anyway.

- Hereditary
- Suspiria (2018 remake)
- Mother!
- Beyond the Black Rainbow
- The Descent

I normally don't like horror much, but I was on a kick not long ago and really liked some of the above.

Only one of those I've seen was Hereditary and really liked it I'll add your other suggestions to my list to watch.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Cronenberg is the best. He sort of invented body horror. The Fly is one of the best examples.

Videodrome makes a nice pairing with the later eXistenZ.

And two of his earlier films, Shivers and Rabid are probably right up your alley too, as zombie-adjacent and apocalyptic.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Recommendations for visually/musically stunning space movies like 2001, Interstellar, Sunshine, and The Fountain?

Less violence/horror would be preferable.

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello

ephori posted:

Only God Forgives, Brawl in Cell Block 99

Edit: Raging Bull

Purple Monkey fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 18, 2020

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

space marine todd posted:

Recommendations for visually/musically stunning space movies like 2001, Interstellar, Sunshine, and The Fountain?

I wouldn't put it up there with those four, but you might appreciate Ad Astra. And, actually, Star Trek: The Motion Picture has some sequences that might do something for you.

Prometheus and Alien Covenant are stunning, but are, of course, horror movies.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

ephori posted:

It's not a movie full of marathon fights, but the violence in Drive is handled well. Maybe give that a look?

Moon has excellent CG/space photography, model-work and sets. Its music is composed by the same guy as The Fountain which is sort of an auto-win for me.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Thanks! Also, recommendations for grand/"epic" romantic movies (like The Fountain)?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Thanks! Also, recommendations for grand/"epic" romantic movies (like The Fountain)?

Tree of Life or A Hidden Life by Terence Malick might fit?

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Since I haven't seen The Fountain (or Tree or Life) I don't know if I'm in the same ballpark, but I've always liked Map of the Human Heart.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The Fountain is pretty unique, I don't know if you're going to find that mix of raw emotion and weird gigantic psychedelia. But something like Reds is another romance that has a bunch of other poo poo going on

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Start with Solaris...

And then watch all of Tarkovsky's other films.

Also if you haven't seen: Gravity, Portrait of a Lady on Fire, Blue is the Warmest Color, Atonement, Days of Heaven, The New World, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Phantom Thread, La La Land, Never Let Me Go

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Thanks for all the recommendations! Can't wait.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

I feel like Chungking Express and In The Mood for Love fit this.
The Before Trilogy, too

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Franchescanado posted:

I feel like Chungking Express and In The Mood for Love fit this.
The Before Trilogy, too

Yeah, we watched In The Mood for Love after the Fountain and it was so beautiful and good.

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello
In a similar vein to Reds, Doctor Zhivago

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
Any other good relatively long calm movies like There will be blood or No country for old men? Something about the landscapes, the oil, or old dudes talking makes them so relaxing to watch. It's like movie comfort food.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Maybe give Days of Heaven a whirl. Once Upon A Time In The West too if you're looking for something with a little more action peppered in.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 23, 2020

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Barry Lyndon

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

A Very Long Engagement

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

extremely this

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Selklubber posted:

Any other good relatively long calm movies like There will be blood or No country for old men? Something about the landscapes, the oil, or old dudes talking makes them so relaxing to watch. It's like movie comfort food.

Paris Texas comes to mind. It's got drama but not more so than No Country I think, it's got a cool vibe to it. And Harry Dean Stanton is always cool.

I'm looking for good and/or entertaining movies from 1986, that I haven't seen.

https://letterboxd.com/frankboothfan/films/year/1986/by/name/

I've seen 62, not to say you've gotta peruse that page there, but if not I've seen I think the usual big ones and cult classics etc. But I'm sure I'm missing cool stuff. I'm looking to watch at least 24 more, 86 in 86 has a nice ring to it. A couple of them are anime video series but hey close enough. I've at least gotta hit 70.

There are some other years I'm looking to bone up on, but figure I'll start there. Plus I just like 86, it's got Blue Velvet, Transformers: The Movie, what couldn't it do. Also, if you were gonna recommend a cool movie and it turns out it wasn't from 86, feel free to post that anyway. I know this is broad, but I got quotas to fill here.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Oct 24, 2020

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Heavy Metal posted:

I've seen 62, not to say you've gotta peruse that page there, but if not I've seen I think the usual big ones and cult classics etc. But I'm sure I'm missing cool stuff. I'm looking to watch at least 24 more, 86 in 86 has a nice ring to it. A couple of them are anime video series but hey close enough. I've at least gotta hit 70.

There are some other years I'm looking to bone up on, but figure I'll start there. Plus I just like 86, it's got Blue Velvet, Transformers: The Movie, what couldn't it do. Also, if you were gonna recommend a cool movie and it turns out it wasn't from 86, feel free to post that anyway. I know this is broad, but I got quotas to fill here.

* Manhunter - William Peterson as Will Graham, Brian Cox as Hannibal Lector, and Michael Mann directs. Superior to the remake, Red Dragon
* Hoosiers - Gene Hackman is a small-town Indiana basketball coach. Harry Dean Stanton Dennis Hopper has a prominent role as the drunkard father of one of his players.
* The Name of the Rose - A whodunit set in a monastery in the middle ages. Based on an Umberto Eco novel. Stars Sean Connery and Christian Slater
* Invaders From Mars - Tobe Hooper remake of the 1950''s alien invasion classic that I find a delightful fever-dream, a la Lifeforce
* Three Amigos - Steve Martin, Chevy Chase, Martin Short. Stupid but funny and spawned more than a few memes in its day
* F/X - A nice little thriller that resulted at least one sequel and a tv series. A special-effects pro is hired to fake the public death of a mafia informant.
* 52 Pick Up - John Frankenheimer directed, starring Roy Schieder, based on an Elmore Leonard novel

There's some well-regarded stuff I never saw, so I can't recommend - plus plenty of schlocky stuff that I also wanted to add, but I restrained myself.

Wizchine fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Oct 24, 2020

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Wizchine posted:

There's some well-regarded stuff I never saw, so I can't recommend - plus plenty of schlocky stuff that I also wanted to add, but I restrained myself.

Much thanks! I'd been meaning to see a few of those too, big Hopper fan and whatnot. Could I request a couple of the finest of these schlocky films? Curiosity piqued!

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Heavy Metal posted:

Much thanks! I'd been meaning to see a few of those too, big Hopper fan and whatnot. Could I request a couple of the finest of these schlocky films? Curiosity piqued!

Duh. Yeah, Hoosiers features Dennis Hopper, not Harry Dean Stanton....

Schlock:
* Black Moon Rising - Weird prototype car, corporate espionage. Tommy Lee Jones, Linda Hamilton star
* Deadly Friend - Wes Craven horror film with a plot that must be seen to be believed. Includes, death by basketball, and a downer of an abuse story
* Link - Horror film with a homicidal chimp, stars Terrence Stamp
* Wanted: Dead or Alive - Former CIA operative turned bounty hunter (Rutger Hauer) is enlisted to hunt down terrorist (Gene Simmonds).
* Dangerously Close - Fascist teenagers look to rid their high school of undesirables. School newspaper reporter investigates

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Heavy Metal posted:

I really want to second Manhunter and Name of the Rose, which are films I really love, plus add:

- True Stories - David Byrne of Talking Heads fame presents a quirky portrait of small-town Texas folk
- Down By Law - Lowkey Jim Jarmusch indie comedy about three men jailed in New Orleans who plot their escape
- She's Gotta Have It - Early Spike Lee about a free spirited Brooklyn woman who has three very different men each trying to win her affection
- The Color of Money - Martin Scorsese directs Paul Newman reprising his poolhall shark role from The Hustler after 25 years, with Tom Cruise as his cocky protege
- At Close Range - Sean Penn is a troubled teen who's brought under the wing of his career criminal father, played by Christopher Walken

The Mosquito Coast is also one with a positive rep that I've been meaning to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.

Heavy Metal posted:

Paris Texas comes to mind. It's got drama but not more so than No Country I think, it's got a cool vibe to it. And Harry Dean Stanton is always cool.

The Seventh Curse, Combat Shock, Killer Party, Routine Pleasures