Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

still hatewatching raised by wolves, it’s just more and more random crap. someone on twitter said they suspected it was written by gpt3 and that makes more sense than a human writing this story on purpose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Finished The Boys S2, better than the first season by a good amount. well worth a watch and don't let the edgelord comic source put you off, it's gotten rid of the bad and kept the good.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

qirex posted:

still hatewatching raised by wolves, it’s just more and more random crap. someone on twitter said they suspected it was written by gpt3 and that makes more sense than a human writing this story on purpose

meta art reveal: this entire show was written by a computer

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
sounds more like it learned the wrong lessons from the BSG reboot (I haven't watched it but intend to)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

the android actors were great imo, also the atheist woman, and matias something who was also in narcos was also good. the bad guy relied too much on unfocused eyes / cricked neck to seem "unhinged", but idk if that was the script or directors cause tbf he does that pretty well

FX and design were also good.

but the story was absolute garbage after the first couple eps and im annoyed with myself for continuing to watch after i realized :(

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i liked the bsg reboot until every other episode was that baltar guy struggling with the nature of reality and perception and so forth

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

rotor posted:

i liked the bsg reboot until every other episode was that baltar guy struggling with the nature of reality and perception and so forth

yeah same for me, around episode 2 or 3

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Ted Lasso is real good. watch it before you cancel your free apple tv

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the miniseries and first 1.5 seasons of bsg are one of the best scifi tv shows ever made. after that, it has its moments but it's never as consistently good again

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Finished The Boys S2, better than the first season by a good amount. well worth a watch and don't let the edgelord comic source put you off, it's gotten rid of the bad and kept the good.

the boys is p good

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

rotor posted:

no more mr nice gaius

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

haveblue posted:

the miniseries and first 1.5 seasons of bsg are one of the best scifi tv shows ever made. after that, it has its moments but it's never as consistently good again

yeah it really dropped off in quality big time. it was very obvious season 2 was padded out to be 23-episodes to fit your grotesque american network TV garbage and was intended to only be 12 and there's just so much wasted time and filler in there. not that "slice of life of the plebs amongst the ships" isn't interesting, but it didn't even really do that.

i would even say the first half of exodus/new caprica is really quite good and then nose-dives again.

and hoo boy towards the end? loving christ

it was very much obvious that the whole "and they have a plan!" that they very much did not have a plan whatsoever.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ok I finished raised by wolves and I feel like it basically boils down to “what if humans [and robots] had religious experiences?” no character truly had agency, they spent the whole time getting brainfucked by voices in their heads and reacting to magical-seeming things happening to them instead of choosing to do much of anything

the fact that the creator is a lapsed catholic kind of explains the story maybe?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

qirex posted:

ok I finished raised by wolves and I feel like it basically boils down to “what if humans [and robots] had religious experiences?” no character truly had agency, they spent the whole time getting brainfucked by voices in their heads and reacting to magical-seeming things happening to them instead of choosing to do much of anything

the fact that the creator is a lapsed catholic kind of explains the story maybe?

lmao i forgot about the voices, its such a cheap way to give characters motivation. also if the voices/visions are supposed to be natural, they keep doing things that the characters dont know so they either have to be supernatural or some kind of intelligent life already on the planet.

so i only finished it cause i was waiting for the reveal that the creatures were evolved humans (now youre cannibals!!), but i guess that got pushed to s2 so ill just watch that scene on futuretube if it ever gets made

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 17, 2020

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Yeah it's very good, they got rid of all the edgy/racist poo poo Garth had in the comics.

The twist at the end completely caught me off guard, for some reason it didn't occur to me that the character in the comics had the same name.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I saw a trailer for that and one of the characters introduced themselves as "hey I'm Stormfront" so I'm not entirely sure they got rid of all the edgy racism

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jabor posted:

I saw a trailer for that and one of the characters introduced themselves as "hey I'm Stormfront" so I'm not entirely sure they got rid of all the edgy racism

i havent seen it but apparently a lot of people did not understand that that character is a racist nazi

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
in the comic it's a dude and his cape is the nazi flag and he's german

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Carthag Tuek posted:

tbh i only finitshed it cause i was waiting for the reveal

nah they straight up said the skull the creature mother killed was holding in the last episode was neanderthal and they revealed the robot skull inside the extremely familiar looking space helmet in the room with the torture dodecahedron where she gave birth to the flying leech snake

man that looks like word salad. the show gave me the same feeling

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

qirex posted:

nah they straight up said the skull the creature mother killed was holding in the last episode was neanderthal and they revealed the robot skull inside the extremely familiar looking space helmet in the room with the torture dodecahedron where she gave birth to the flying leech snake

man that looks like word salad. the show gave me the same feeling

oh yeah!

i somehow expunged that haha gently caress

but like it was obvious from the first time the creatuers show up so the true question was when it got ~revealed~

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

i havent seen it but apparently a lot of people did not understand that that character is a racist nazi

nobody knows what Stormfront is unless they're themselves Nazis or are Extremely Online

the "Oh, from Seattle?" "No, Portland" exchange when she was first introduced was great

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

pseudorandom name posted:

nobody knows what Stormfront is unless they're themselves Nazis or are Extremely Online

the "Oh, from Seattle?" "No, Portland" exchange when she was first introduced was great

the word stormfront being obviously fascist only to the "Extremely Online" is really sad

it should be obvious to anyone who went to school. and i know your schools are poo poo. our school are poo poo as well. but it should be obvious that such a word is fascism inherent

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i think you'd have to be really, really ignorant, like slingblade level of intelligence, to not figure out that she's a huge nazi as her story develops

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

oh, yeah, it is really obvious, especially the part where she shows her Nazi wedding photo to her Nazi husband in front of the Nazi flag to Homelander

but the name isn't necessarily a tip-off for a woman with lightning powers

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Carthag Tuek posted:

the word stormfront being obviously fascist only to the "Extremely Online" is really sad

it should be obvious to anyone who went to school. and i know your schools are poo poo. our school are poo poo as well. but it should be obvious that such a word is fascism inherent

how do you figure

i knew about it because i'm from louisiana and my house got internet in 1992. you know david duke just made the name up, right? it's not like referencing any historic fascist group called "stormfront" or from literature or anything, i remember people used to mock it as a star wars fan forum back then. david duke's a stormtrooper fan lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

homelander is also a fascist word

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

She has nazi eagles all over her outfit lmfao.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
i love my stupid sexy buzzfeed nazi grandmother

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Jabor posted:

Her being a nazi is a big part of this season. The racist poo poo i'm talking about is how garth portrays black people in the comics. I have been rereading and there are real gross characters.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

how do you figure

i knew about it because i'm from louisiana and my house got internet in 1992. you know david duke just made the name up, right? it's not like referencing any historic fascist group called "stormfront" or from literature or anything, i remember people used to mock it as a star wars fan forum back then. david duke's a stormtrooper fan lol

because its an english neologism from germanic stems that would not naturally occur together in english i guess. it is stereotypically "german" while not being actually german. it is obviously deliberate. idk what to say. :shrug:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

AnimeIsTrash posted:

She has nazi eagles all over her outfit lmfao.

so she shops at boy london? whats the big deal

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Carthag Tuek posted:

because its an english neologism from germanic stems that would not naturally occur together in english i guess. it is stereotypically "german" while not being actually german. it is obviously deliberate. idk what to say. :shrug:

we regularly get stormfronts on the gulf coast, it's hurricane country

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

we regularly get stormfronts on the gulf coast, it's hurricane country

:wrong: those are storm fronts

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Carthag Tuek posted:

:wrong: those are storm fronts

?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Carthag Tuek posted:

homelander is also a fascist word

been saying this since ‘01

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

that doesnt work when the only citation is newer than the work we're talking about

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Carthag Tuek posted:

that doesnt work when the only citation is newer than the work we're talking about

wait, do you not get that it was named as a weather analogy? they didn't name a weather term after neonazis on the internet

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

qirex posted:

somewhere, stymie is vibrating with incredible energy

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

wait, do you not get that it was named as a weather analogy? they didn't name a weather term after neonazis on the internet

sorry i got a lil off track lol its fine to call a weather thing "a storm front"

my poo poo brain has these minimal critria for a nazi name:

- germanic synthesis of words
- the word storm
- the word front
- the superhero concept

saying in a german way "busterminal" isnt nazi, even though it is two english words combined in the germanic way. e: gently caress theers a homelander. forget about the fake list up there, just its:

"all superhero is nazi"

im drunSorry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
raised by wolves looked really good but other than that I knew it was gonna be stupid as soon as that kid mr magooed into that hole

they played all their cards in the first 3 or 4 episodes