Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
Bedrock has been around for years so I can't imagine anyone deciding now is the time to jump platforms. Especially when bedrock modding seems more limited to texture packs and mob behavior changes, not so much total conversions of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Oh I thought the bedrock thing was supposed to be a new migration away from Java as a standard.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’s the migration to making Minecraft a consistent (locked) platform across all devices which is why it’s now available everywhere with a marketplace to sell you a ton of poo poo.

Java I think only still exists because it was part of the agreement when they got bought and remains the modder’s paradise.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Bedrock doesn't work for Linux and Mac users as well, until it does it cannot be the future of Minecraft.

Not that I think Microsoft cares that much but I'm sure Mojang cares.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Kamrat posted:

Bedrock doesn't work for Linux and Mac users as well, until it does it cannot be the future of Minecraft.

Not that I think Microsoft cares that much but I'm sure Mojang cares.
It doesn't work on PS4 either

(it's buggy as gently caress)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I posted a breakdown of java vs Bedrock a while ago, I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: here you go, hth

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

There are two versions but multiple purchases...

Original is called Minecraft: Java Edition and it's what you were playing in 2011. PC/MAC compatible, and has a ton of mods available for it.

The other version is just called "Minecraft", though it used to be Bedrock Edition. This version is the same one on the following platforms, but buying it on one does NOT get it for you on the other automatically; all are separate purchases:

- XB1
- PS4
- Switch
- Win10
- iOS
- Android

No Mac support for Bedrock.

Two, maybe three good things about the 'Bedrock Edition'

1) (I don't know if this is still a thing but previously...) Owners of the Java edition could get a voucher for the Win10 version at no extra cost.

2) It runs SO smoothly compared to Java, holy poo poo. It's optimized, so it behaves like you'd expect a game about lo-fi blocks to behave.

3) All 'Bedrock Editions' have cross play multiplayer with each other. You can play together with anyone, provided that you're each on one of those platforms listed. It's very cool that this was done. For the longest time, Sony was keeping the PS4 version out of that, but I think they changed their minds last year.

Edit: now I have a question... How good/deep is Minecraft Dungeons, especially if I want my wife and I to play with our 6 year old? I heard it's like baby's first Diablo and that's fine, but I know it's also getting updates. Are those updates adding depth to it all? Early reviews said it was pretty shallow, which, again, is fine but if there's more there now, I'll happily check it out.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 12, 2020

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I feel like I've asked this before but every mob farm design I've seen is massive and kind of unreliable (have to light up every cave nearby or some bullshit). Is there a nice simple efficient mob farm I can make that doesn't require building some insane Space Needle-looking motherfucker?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
You could build up in the sky away from dark caves. If building a tower, you can get some assistance from the lava->cobblestone process so that you don't have to build walls yourself. If Space needles turn you off because they're labor intensive, then this automation might help, if it's somewhere you don't mind the appearance.

1. Nerdpole up to almost the sky limit
2. Build a square outline of the ceiling, and walk on top of it
3. Holding shift, face backwards almost off of the outer edge and spam lava buckets there. You're going to make a ring shaped lavafall flowing all the way down (more of a tube).
4. Wait for each lava source to spread a few ticks before picking it up and spreading the next one, or just carry up multiple lavas.
5. Make sure the lava is two units thick everywhere (don't skip any blocks) because the lava->cobblestone conversion is unreliable (it can leave gaps of nothing).
6. Once you have an entire cylinder of lava below you, douse the whole thing by spamming water on top of your square outline.

Now you have a hollow tower. Follow a waterfall down to the bottom (but still high enough to avoid most spawns) and build a floor. Slope it uphill towards one corner, and test some water at the top to make sure the water can sweep the whole floor.

Duplicate that floor design on the next floor up, by simply reaching up and placing blocks in the same pattern. Repeat for as many floors as you have the patience for.

Now you've got a nice dark tower that mobs can easily be flushed out of with water. I used to make elaborate sticky piston setups on each floor to flush mobs out of one side every few seconds. A hopper timer controls it, unless you want a water sensor at the bottom.

The pistons formed a horizontal bar. They would push out to interrupt a waterfall that normally fell past every floor. Once out, each piston instead shoved the water it had just cut off forward, for it to roll downhill across the whole floor.

I call this the "mob toilet" flushing system

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 16, 2020

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I prefer Bedrock purely because of the performance and I LOVE being able to see so far with the chuck distance going so high. On Java my fps crashes when I go above 16 but can get a steady 60fps at 48 chunks on Bedrock and 64 if I don't mind going down to 52-58. Being able to actually see the world I'm in makes a big difference to me.

Sadly, my family all want to stick with Java for our server.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

The fact Microsoft hasn't announced some fancy new Minecraft thing for their new console is mind boggling. The fact the company is gobbling up developers in an attempt to secure some type of first party incentive, and sits on one of the biggest games in the industry during a resurgence in interest, is beyond loving stupid imo.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Happy Hedonist posted:

The fact Microsoft hasn't announced some fancy new Minecraft thing for their new console is mind boggling. The fact the company is gobbling up developers in an attempt to secure some type of first party incentive, and sits on one of the biggest games in the industry during a resurgence in interest, is beyond loving stupid imo.

Yeah I expected them to try again for that shader pack with the Series X but I guess they totally gave up on that.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Disappointing Pie posted:

Yeah I expected them to try again for that shader pack with the Series X but I guess they totally gave up on that.

I just read in the Xbox thread that they are expecting to sell completely out of new hardware this year and sometime into next. I guess maybe there's hope they'll announce something during next year's push when they have to actually produce games and not just a shiny new box. 8 months of quarantine got us all fired up about new video game consoles.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Disappointing Pie posted:

It's getting RTX mode, isn't it?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Yes

uncertainty
Aug 8, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

I feel like I've asked this before but every mob farm design I've seen is massive and kind of unreliable (have to light up every cave nearby or some bullshit). Is there a nice simple efficient mob farm I can make that doesn't require building some insane Space Needle-looking motherfucker?

There are a lot of different options, what kind of thing are you looking for, specific items, xp, just the challenge? The simplest would be finding an abandoned mineshaft and building something around a mob spawner. For all other options, the mobs that can spawn in your farm will be limited by the mob cap and too many mobs outside of your farm will prevent them from spawning in your farm. That means either lighting up, building really high, or building in/above an ocean.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

MikeJF posted:

The only thing I can find is some tech demo by digital foundry from back in March. The game isn't even listed as a launch title.

The RTX fork is a Windows only Nvidia thing, so it'd be impressive if they got it running on an Xbox with an AMD GPU.

Happy Hedonist fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Oct 17, 2020

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Yeah I think the Minecraft RTX stuff is really just Nvidia showing off their tech. I hope that they implement something like it in the next year or two by themselves but I think it might be hard as from what I've seen of the Nvidia stuff the lighting is so different that you might think you have a bright enough room to avoid mob spawns but if you switch over to the normal graphics you'll find out you're in a super dark room and vice-versa. The RTX thing is just pretty with no consideration for survival gameplay.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

uncertainty posted:

There are a lot of different options, what kind of thing are you looking for, specific items, xp, just the challenge? The simplest would be finding an abandoned mineshaft and building something around a mob spawner. For all other options, the mobs that can spawn in your farm will be limited by the mob cap and too many mobs outside of your farm will prevent them from spawning in your farm. That means either lighting up, building really high, or building in/above an ocean.

Really, all I need is a bunch of string for a bunch of dispensers and thereby a wheat farm, and I don't want to have to spend hours looking for an abandoned mineshaft.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Just run around on the surface at night killing random spiders.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So what is the situation for crossplay? I would love to get my mom into Minecraft, but she refuses to engage with anything that isn't on a console, so it would be from PS4. Meanwhile, I would prefer to play from PC. What are our options?

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
I read that they where gonna add support for cross-platform play on the ps4 version a while ago but I don't know if they've implemented it yet, if they did you can play on the bedrock version on pc and your mom on ps4...

If they haven't added support for that yet she could play the ios/android version which also supports cross platform, but playing a game like this on a phone is not ideal.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:

Mordiceius posted:

So what is the situation for crossplay? I would love to get my mom into Minecraft, but she refuses to engage with anything that isn't on a console, so it would be from PS4. Meanwhile, I would prefer to play from PC. What are our options?

You can do basic cross-platform multiplayer on PS4, i.e. she can join your world on PC/Switch/etc. if you're online, or vice versa. IIRC, joining players are tethered to the player who owns the world, to limit the distance between them. This may or may not work for you.

Sony said they would add Realms support to PS4 but has still not delivered, if that's what you were talking about. Realms is a monthly sub fee to host a permanent realm that's always online, so anyone with an invite can play any time without tethering.

I've been pissed about this for a while because I have a Realm. I usually prefer to play on PC but would like to lazily play on the couch sometimes. I can do it on my drat Android devices, or my partner's Switch, but not on my PS4, which is stupid.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Wow I hadn't heard about the Realms thing with PS4. Holy poo poo, they got 90% of the way there after so much feet-dragging, and they're STILL missing stuff like that? Good god.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Does Bedrock do private servers at all or do you have to do Realms for multiplayer?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Does Bedrock do private servers at all or do you have to do Realms for multiplayer?

Bedrock does private servers but for things like switch you need to do tricks to get them to connect.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

snake and bake posted:

You can do basic cross-platform multiplayer on PS4, i.e. she can join your world on PC/Switch/etc. if you're online, or vice versa. IIRC, joining players are tethered to the player who owns the world, to limit the distance between them. This may or may not work for you.

Sony said they would add Realms support to PS4 but has still not delivered, if that's what you were talking about. Realms is a monthly sub fee to host a permanent realm that's always online, so anyone with an invite can play any time without tethering.

I've been pissed about this for a while because I have a Realm. I usually prefer to play on PC but would like to lazily play on the couch sometimes. I can do it on my drat Android devices, or my partner's Switch, but not on my PS4, which is stupid.

So I can’t just host a server on my PC that she can connect or whenever via PS4?

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat

Mordiceius posted:

So I can’t just host a server on my PC that she can connect or whenever via PS4?

Nope. This was a huge pain in the rear end when I was setting up a world for some friends. They were on PS4 and cannot connect to a dedicated server. Which meant to host a game for them I had to be logged in and playing my local world which I could then invite them to. And you can't just let the game idle in the background because the friends list will timeout after a bit and kick you to single player only.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

BrainMeats posted:

Nope. This was a huge pain in the rear end when I was setting up a world for some friends. They were on PS4 and cannot connect to a dedicated server. Which meant to host a game for them I had to be logged in and playing my local world which I could then invite them to. And you can't just let the game idle in the background because the friends list will timeout after a bit and kick you to single player only.

Rad. So it's basically impossible to have what I want.

First I get hosed out of my account by their lovely support that takes 6 months to respond to anything, now I can't even play with the people I want to play with.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Edit: now I have a question... How good/deep is Minecraft Dungeons, especially if I want my wife and I to play with our 6 year old? I heard it's like baby's first Diablo and that's fine, but I know it's also getting updates. Are those updates adding depth to it all? Early reviews said it was pretty shallow, which, again, is fine but if there's more there now, I'll happily check it out.

IDK about depth but they did add a bunch of new QoL stuff and additional content to the game since I first played it several months ago. Still fun to play with friends/family IMO.

uncertainty
Aug 8, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Really, all I need is a bunch of string for a bunch of dispensers and thereby a wheat farm, and I don't want to have to spend hours looking for an abandoned mineshaft.

If you don't want to find a mineshaft, another options could be to set up a simple gold farm (and make it more complicated along the way if you want) and then use the gold to trade for string and a lot of other goodies with piglins: https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Piglin

Gold farms are really easy to build if you go on top of the nether (dig up until you reach block 127, place a ladder and throw an ender pearl at the top corner of the ladder; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBa6byykeRU). Then just go up ~120 blocks and build a platform for pigmen to spawn on and you can kill them in a variety of ways. This gives a general idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x8XOloRgqA

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

This is the best video I've seen for how to really optimize it too if you care about that: https://youtu.be/DLe5-THpQ6I

The gold these turn out is cuckoo bananas. I built the afk drop kill version presented starting at 14 minutes. Or more properly I built half of it before realizing it generated more gold than I could ever possibly use.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Oct 20, 2020

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
The trick is to build it, sort the drops and turn nuggets into bars, and then build a piglin trading post right under it so the gold has an immediate use and if it stockpiles in one spot at least it's in a good spot already

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

If I could have automated turning the bars into ingots and blocks I would have been a very happy camper but I don't think that's actually possible without mods. :(

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Do you guys know of any resources where I can plot out map art? I have a 5x5 space I want to use as a layout map for my nether mine (I’ll have to do map art and make like a subway map since maps don’t work down there) but I don’t want it to look bad.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.

Mordiceius posted:

Rad. So it's basically impossible to have what I want.

First I get hosed out of my account by their lovely support that takes 6 months to respond to anything, now I can't even play with the people I want to play with.

Don't know what your monetary situation is, but it's like sub-$10 a month for a decent MC server. I'm using BisectHosting, and paying ~$7 for a premium 2core server, and they're very good at customer service. That should suffice for 1-5 people, maybe more depending on modpack? (not an expert, as i only use it for 2-3).

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Hey quick question for you folks as it's been awhile and it looks like the OP hasn't been updated since 2013 (lol). If I want to spin up a vanilla Minecraft server. Is it still recommended to use Bukkit/Spigot, or is there some new hotness I should use instead? I feel like I remember their being some Bukkit drama awhile back?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Talorat posted:

Hey quick question for you folks as it's been awhile and it looks like the OP hasn't been updated since 2013 (lol). If I want to spin up a vanilla Minecraft server. Is it still recommended to use Bukkit/Spigot, or is there some new hotness I should use instead? I feel like I remember their being some Bukkit drama awhile back?

I'm still using Spigot.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

yegods posted:

Don't know what your monetary situation is, but it's like sub-$10 a month for a decent MC server. I'm using BisectHosting, and paying ~$7 for a premium 2core server, and they're very good at customer service. That should suffice for 1-5 people, maybe more depending on modpack? (not an expert, as i only use it for 2-3).

It seems like PS4 doesn't have support for that though?

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Talorat posted:

Welcome to 2014.

Bukkit/Spigot is still fine.

The drama was Wesley Wolfe talking his ball and going home in a flurry of DMCA notices. So they just stripped his code out of their un-compiled code library, and released a friendly build tool for people to use at home to automatically compile and merge all the missing code right back into their .jar file.

At which point everyone blocked Wesley's twitter account and went on with their lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Paper is also good. It's a fork of Spigot that claims to boost performance. It does seem to run better in my experience, but the big attraction for me is that you can just download new builds without having to use BuildTools.