Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i stopped playing genshin when the game didn't really respect my time in regards to adventure exp rewards being so tiny. i'm not grinding just to unlock story quests, that was half of xenoblade x and it was the bad half

i'm sure there are unmarked sidequests just out in the world but i spent 15 minutes earlier this week talking to every single NPC in monstadt and liyue and got no quests, so i assume they're just out in the world which.. at that point it's like a pixel hunt for an inventory item in a point n click adventure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Infinity Gaia posted:

Alright nevermind I'm just gonna quit this argument, I can see when I'm absurdly outnumbered. I dunno why I even tried to defend one of the most beloved Tales games elsewhere on the internet here.

To be honest, even on other places on the internet people (Resetera, Reddit, GFaqs/Spot where the places I’ve personally seen) replayed Vespera when DE came out and even then they were like “holy gently caress this is kind of rough in a lot of ways”

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The sidequests are usually pretty obvious. Paimon points out that one's nearby when the map marker shows up and it's at decent rage.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

i stopped playing genshin when the game didn't really respect my time in regards to adventure exp rewards being so tiny. i'm not grinding just to unlock story quests, that was half of xenoblade x and it was the bad half

i'm sure there are unmarked sidequests just out in the world but i spent 15 minutes earlier this week talking to every single NPC in monstadt and liyue and got no quests, so i assume they're just out in the world which.. at that point it's like a pixel hunt for an inventory item in a point n click adventureq
If you consider exploring more of the world grinding then absolutely you should not be playing a game like genshin (or xenoblade x for that matter)

Also all sidequests show up on the minimap when you're in the area why did you just talk to random people

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Amppelix posted:

If you consider exploring more of the world grinding then absolutely you should not be playing a game like genshin (or xenoblade x for that matter)

Also all sidequests show up on the minimap when you're in the area why did you just talk to random people
because fuckin stux said that some quests/world puzzies aren't marked while he was bragging about getting to adv level 36 and only barely doing dailies

don't blame me for getting stuxed

also i already unlocked a shitton of waypoints and not seen many !s. i did the ghost village and the girl looking for the book, i got the painter guy's quest, all the stuff at the winery, the inn quests. but otherwise i feel like i'll have to look at a guide to find them. i got frustrated at level 22 and stopped playing because it wasn't fun anymore having to do dailies/blossoms just to get decent axp. i had my fun with it but i'm gonna wait until there's more content and they take their pinchers off the hose

e: compared to ff14 where you can't walk 5 steps without tripping over a sidequest, and it's not like genshin's world quests are any better than ff14's imo. obviously ff14 is an MMO but 'GAAS open world RPG with battle pass and events' is a couple of stone throws away

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 16, 2020

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I think you're just not into exploration games, cause opening chests and doing environmental puzzles give exp.

edit: Oh wait, you're the one that hates xenoblade. Yeaaaah I dunno why you bother touching Genshin ever, unless you love hurting your own self

Tae fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 16, 2020

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Tae posted:

I think you're just not into exploration games, cause opening chests and doing environmental puzzles give exp.
I definitely need to find more world puzzles because the chest xp is not super great. common is like 20? i do puzzles wherever i find them but they're almost always an average chest reward for 50xp at most. which feels pretty piddly when you need to get 3000+ axp to rank up. i had been doing the BOTW thing where i just chose a direction and went in that direction, solving puzzles and finding chests where i could, then I just started going from waypoint to waypoint doing the same. i have played it for probably 20-25 hours at this point, but it's obvious that they have to keep people from getting through content too fast because they're still trying to push it out with limited resources during pandemic times

it's not like i hate exploring, it just feels like an over the top amount needed to progress compared to the average open world game. also i feel like every adventure rank should have at least one new character quest and one new sidequest unlock but that's just me

anyway, time to fight big bull in okage

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 16, 2020

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

yeah there aren't *that* many side quests out there most of the adventure exp you'll need comes from just doing random stuff. finding oculi to cash into the statues, unveiling all the secret chests, etc. i certainly never felt like i was grinding for it until the currently very last AR requirement (which is 29, i was at 26) and at that point i did stop playing because i had seen 95% of the world and that was enough for me.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The 7th Guest posted:

i'm still playing it a little bit every day but i exhausted the content pretty quickly. one free pull every 4 days is pretty poo poo though and it suffers from basically being early access. if i had to guess they developed about 15% of the normal story content they plan to have by the end of the game and that is no bueno my friend.

how to fix it? well, at this point without developing any new content, all they really have to do is put most chests on a three-day respawn timer and shift the currency drops from chests up by one tier (so common chests give two gems instead of zero, exquisite 5, etc etc). but as it is now, once you've opened most of the chests, that's it, there's absolutely nothing else to do short of fighting the same three enemies over and over forever.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 16, 2020

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

babypolis posted:

the gacha in genshin impact doesnt seem so bad. the upgrade system seems like an absolute nightmare to keep track off tho, like most gacha games. that stuff just drains my soul in seconds. i suppose its purposefully designed to be as awful as possible so you go "gently caress it ill just buy this poo poo"

You can't really buy the character and weapon items you just have to grind for em

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's just not much to do in Genshin after you hit adventure level 29 and done what story content there is until they add more

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

i'm still playing it a little bit every day but i exhausted the content pretty quickly. one free pull every 4 days is pretty poo poo though and it suffers from basically being early access. if i had to guess they developed about 15% of the normal story content they plan to have by the end of the game and that is no bueno my friend.
world of warcraft launched with 0% of the story content that is currently in the game, technically

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

You can't really buy the character and weapon items you just have to grind for em

so i guess they just adopted the system for no good reason then? also you still have to pull copies of your characters to upgrade them no? i guess some people do enjoy that stuff but i was watching someone stream the game while planning his upgrades and it seemed like the same nightmare as every other gacha game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah but they're more like a consolation prize for getting dupes rather than something you actually need, some of the bonuses are really good. A lot of the grind is there I think just because there's only two out of seven planned areas in the game and not really much to do other than grind atm after you finished the current quest content.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
genshin introducing people to how iterative gacha game design is and how little content some games launch with as a result

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Colonel posted:

genshin introducing people to how iterative gacha game design is and how little content some games launch with as a result

i guess it's just the style of game that makes the iterative content feel weird. it's big, it's open-world, and the gameplay is fairly competent--it doesn't feel like a bite-sized gacha game with a drip of story content the way feh or arknights does, but it secretly is.

the difficult part is that by extension, the grind is about as heavy but it's far less bite-sized as well

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

i guess it's just the style of game that makes the iterative content feel weird. it's big, it's open-world, and the gameplay is fairly competent--it doesn't feel like a bite-sized gacha game with a drip of story content the way feh or arknights does, but it secretly is.
i mean i played the game for like 40 hours, had fun, didn't grind at all, and now i'm done until they introduce new areas

i find it hard to complain about that

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
oh yeah it's hardly a BAD game--it's pretty good even--but it feels tremendously empty after a certain point. that's just a consequence of being a game that isn't really meant to have an ending though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's an episodic game that's free, at least the sequels will come out this decade

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Amppelix posted:

I *love* exploration games, but systematically working through a map to clear every interactable object feels less like exploration and more like working off a list. For all the comparisons to BotW the way you actually interact with the world feels very different, it's like if you had to get 80% of the Korok seeds to progress rather than a low-pressure diminishing returns reward when you stumble across an interesting bit of geography

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
There is interesting geography in BOTW?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

CharlestheHammer posted:

There is interesting geography in BOTW?

that is literally like the one thing botw does consistently decently

memorable geography and fun ways of navigating it are the things making up for it not really having a lot of interesting rewards for doing so

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Disagree because man is that world boring.

They thought the shrines were a substitute for actually interesting things to explore and I disagree hard

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i assume you wandered in circles on hyrule field and decided the world was boring afterwards?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Nope got two of the four GB or whatever they call it before realising it’s just not very good.

The mechanics are nice but nothing terribly interesting to do.

It’s a make your own fun kind of game and that doesn’t appeal to me

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
BotW is mostly a beloved game but there's a notable set of people who it just did not work for on any level

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the shrines are what i refer to, when i say the game is bad at giving you unique incentives for exploring despite the act of navigating its geography being pretty fun

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

tbh the orbs are more useful optional rewards than what most zelda games have on offer, at least I actually use the stamina compared to extra health being superfluous in 90% of them.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
they're more useful but they're also not very exciting and you can cap out on stamina before even exploring some corners of the map

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i feel like trails from zero is gonna end up being a game i really like very specific parts of and feel kinda lukewarm on the rest of

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

disappointed but not surprised coming from a hyped long-untranslated game at this point

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I mean Trails is my favorite game series and that's probably how I'd describe most of the games, but yes I do agree with the sentiment for Zero in particular.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Leraika posted:

Pour one out for Star Ocean Anamnesis, the only phone gacha game with a good combat system (until they released the character with a skill that crashes the game and never fixed it)

I did actually like Anamnesis. It was certainly a lot better than uhh..well 2/3/4/5

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Zero is weird in that all the first games don’t really have a plot zero has less of a plot than most and isn’t building up to anything.

It’s weird

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i really liked zero's main cast and story. the first few chapters are kinda going through the trails motions but the character-focused scenes stuck with me more than other trails games and the whole schwarze auction sequence is a great midgame escalation.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I did actually like Anamnesis. It was certainly a lot better than uhh..well 2/3/4/5

Reading the arguments about Tales' combat system was fun when keeping in mind just how loving awful the Star Ocean 4 combat was. I guess all the creative talent was used up creating EDGE MAVERICK.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there's nothing particularly worse about zero than the other games, it's just crossbell is way more massive area than trista so it's harder to form the same attachment cold steel 1 gives you to the main town, it feels much slower than any other game because instead of having a slow sense of build up you largely just get some interesting vignettes each chapter and then just kinda move on with the same party, and out of the main cast the only ones i actually particularly like all that much are tio and randy. elie's okay but i think lloyd annoys me as much as rean apparently annoyed lots of people cause i don't think the guy would be able to carry a single scene without any of the more interesting characters around, i can barely think of anything endearing about the guy he just exists. the bit with him and randy after the race and the bit with him and tio in the geofront were decent i guess

the small chunk of stuff that's touched on renne so far is probably some of my favorite stuff in the series though

Evil Fluffy posted:

Reading the arguments about Tales' combat system was fun when keeping in mind just how loving awful the Star Ocean 4 combat was. I guess all the creative talent was used up creating EDGE MAVERICK.

you're talking like star ocean has ever had good combat. tri-ace deals in anything but consistent design

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think both Zero and Azure have probably the best final chapters in the series, and in Zero's case in particular it's crazy how much it ramps up.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The Colonel posted:

you're talking like star ocean has ever had good combat. tri-ace deals in anything but consistent design

I still feel the burn from Exist Archive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Star Ocean 3 has the worst combat I've ever played in a videogame