Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

it's weird that several countries in the eu have higher rates of infection per capita than the us right now. they may not catch up w/ the us on deaths though, as we never locked down so we didn't have a lull between waves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I’d make eye contact with him and fart. I did it all the time for like two years. I didn’t even know his full name, just heard that his coworkers thought he was a nut for complaining about “the guy who would fart on me in the break room”
Once it starts getting cold here we're gonna see the real good poo poo hit

I went to Costco on Wednesday and filled three carts with enough poo poo that we won't have to leave the house much from November until February and I'm absolutely sticking with that. It's going to be dire and the holiday gatherings are going to make it worse.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

yep. just for sake of reference later, here are the countries in europe above the us in infection rates (us is ~115 /100k) right now, per nyt data

e: just for clarity, this is cases over the past week

Andorra
Czech Republic
Belgium
Netherlands
Montenegro
France
Luxembourg
U.K.
Iceland (i'm counting iceland because french tourists were the primary cause of their caseload)
Spain
Slovakia
Slovenia
Switzerland
Malta
Ireland
Liechtenstein
Romania
North Macedonia

by the looks of it, europe has one of the worst outbreaks in the world at the moment. can't wait 'till christmas!

Broken Machine fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 16, 2020

Apr 7, 2003

I’d make eye contact with him and fart. I did it all the time for like two years. I didn’t even know his full name, just heard that his coworkers thought he was a nut for complaining about “the guy who would fart on me in the break room”
No Italy, huh? I thought they were spiking a week or two ago.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

No Italy, huh? I thought they were spiking a week or two ago.

italy is at about 70 per 100k over the last week. data is here

matti
Mar 31, 2019

theres ton more testing this time round

Apr 7, 2003

Broken Machine posted:

italy is at about 70 per 100k over the last week. data is here

Dang, Africa is really acing this poo poo

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Dang, Africa is really acing this poo poo

less rich globetrotting travelers bringing the infection there

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

maps without nz

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

if you mean the nyt map, it's in the lower right?

Apr 7, 2003

where...??

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

oh wait there it is. 1 case.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

matti posted:

theres ton more testing this time round

except in the usa where we are deliberately limiting testing to appease people like ron desantis, greg abbott, and donald trump.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Broken Machine posted:

i think this is fairly true, though? if you're trans and like weed or whatever, you're probably not going to tuskaloosa alabama. the coasts and places like colorado are unambiguously better places to be and living there is pretty different

i'm trans and like weed and i lived in the south p much all my life until i was 26, and then moved to norcal.

i thought i had met wealthy people before, like ya know, growing up and you know what the good side of town is, and the nice subdivisions, maybe a friend whose grandparents own a ranch and have a big rear end house and a bunch of land or whatever. haha no, no, i did not know wealthy people.

weirdest difference imo tho is this: in the south, i only saw male obgyns, because the ratio of male:female obgyns is like 10:1 or something, and all the female obgyns have huge waiting lists or just weren't accepting new patients. i moved here, and the place i go has like 30 female obgyns and like 2 male obgyns. and the experience itself (seeing a female obgyn vs male obgyn) was just way way different, like wow, a doctor actually believing me when i say something is painful

the cost of living and fires and ridiculous wealth gap suck, but overall i'd rather live here than ever go back to the south

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Broken Machine posted:

it's weird that several countries in the eu have higher rates of infection per capita than the us right now. they may not catch up w/ the us on deaths though, as we never locked down so we didn't have a lull between waves

i have a friend who works in amsterdam and he says that when he goes out he's the only person wearing a mask anywhere

european liberalism is really not a good way to fight covid

but at least we have health care

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Was it Sweden or some other Scandinavian country that suggested people wear masks, but never enforced it leading to spikes?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Was it Sweden or some other Scandinavian country that suggested people wear masks, but never enforced it leading to spikes?

sweden did usa level nothing and

https://twitter.com/LiamThorpECHO/status/1314656858968395776

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

lol idiots

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

bump_fn posted:

i have a friend who works in amsterdam and he says that when he goes out he's the only person wearing a mask anywhere

european liberalism is really not a good way to fight covid

but at least we have health care

learned today that my wife's extended family in europe are all parroting poo poo about "masks cause brain damage from carbon dioxide" and insisting their kids won't wear them

meanwhile my realtor is sending me EXCITING REAL ESTATE OPPORTUNITIES and our landlord listed our unit yesterday so it's officially for sale now

need to start listening to more vaporwave and embrace my inner nihilist i guess

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
You should give them a heads up about fan death too.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Sagebrush posted:

hell yeah the white house just rejected california's request for federal funds to help clean up after the biggest wildfire season in california history (and we're only halfway through it so far). trump is really doing it, just loving cutting off all the democratic states because they aren't going to vote for him

secession when?

I would love it if the westerns states seceded from the union, or at least the I-5 corridor, which is why all three states are blue in the first place (what is it about that interstate)

I don't know how the left feels about it, cause I don't see it discussed much, but I'm more or less convinced at this point that America fundamentally doesn't work, like I don't see a way out beyond having states straight up secede, or if the federal government's influence (and tax rate) fell to basically nothing... So I guess maybe that's something I have in common with republicans, at least when republican meant something other than "triggering the libs".

Its insane to me that my city/state pay for my schools, roads, transit systems, libraries, homeless shelters/housing assistance, police/fire/EMT, on and on and on... yet ~30% of my income goes to the federal government and we get to beg for it back to help pay for this stuff. I would 100% rather continue to pay the same amount in taxes (or more, if needed) to city/state governments to pay for solid social services in my community than have that poo poo squandered in wars overseas.

Remember a few weeks ago when Trump tried to declare Seattle and Portland "Anarchist Cities" and part of that would mean that no federal money, or covid aid, would go to them.... That poo poo gets blocked by the courts but what if it wasn't? Would I seriously be expected to continue paying federal taxes??

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

President Beep posted:

You should give them a heads up about fan death too.

idgi

i've had a "do not engage" policy with them for years at this point

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i was trying to humorously compare the belief that cloth masks cause CO2 poisoning to the belief that electric fans suck all the air out of the room/cause hypothermia/chop up the oxygen molecules.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

President Beep posted:

i was trying to humorously compare the belief that cloth masks cause CO2 poisoning to the belief that electric fans suck all the air out of the room/cause hypothermia/chop up the oxygen molecules.

yikes. people are already brain damaged idk why they're worried about masks and fans

Apr 7, 2003

ADINSX posted:

I would love it if the westerns states seceded from the union, or at least the I-5 corridor, which is why all three states are blue in the first place (what is it about that interstate)

I don't know how the left feels about it, cause I don't see it discussed much, but I'm more or less convinced at this point that America fundamentally doesn't work, like I don't see a way out beyond having states straight up secede, or if the federal government's influence (and tax rate) fell to basically nothing... So I guess maybe that's something I have in common with republicans, at least when republican meant something other than "triggering the libs".

Its insane to me that my city/state pay for my schools, roads, transit systems, libraries, homeless shelters/housing assistance, police/fire/EMT, on and on and on... yet ~30% of my income goes to the federal government and we get to beg for it back to help pay for this stuff. I would 100% rather continue to pay the same amount in taxes (or more, if needed) to city/state governments to pay for solid social services in my community than have that poo poo squandered in wars overseas.

Remember a few weeks ago when Trump tried to declare Seattle and Portland "Anarchist Cities" and part of that would mean that no federal money, or covid aid, would go to them.... That poo poo gets blocked by the courts but what if it wasn't? Would I seriously be expected to continue paying federal taxes??

Good news, this is precisely what the GOP end game is. Their ideal federal government is weak and powerless and the United States is fifty fiefdoms run as the rich and powerful in those states want it to be run, unfettered by things like "federal laws" or "oversight"

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Good news, this is precisely what the GOP end game is. Their ideal federal government is weak and powerless and the United States is fifty fiefdoms run as the rich and powerful in those states want it to be run, unfettered by things like "federal laws" or "oversight"

I mean, is it? The military accounts for about half of our discretionary spending, a smaller federal government would by definition mean an end to that. They seem pretty happy with the current arrangement: A country that does little to nothing in the way of services of its citizens, with a strong, expensive military (with plenty of contracts for themselves and their buddies) and a police state mentality. If they had any intention of letting any of the states "go" don't you think they'd be encouraging the blue ones to leave? That'd be 55 solid blue electoral college votes they'd never have to worry about again.

I don't think any political party really represents what I'm describing, the GOP (in theory) wants a small federal government but it also wants small city and state governments, I'm not advocating that, I'm saying that the Seattle MSA region should have way more control over the tax revenue of the people that live here... Homelessness has exploded here in the past 5 years to the point where people are building hovervilles with actual wooden structures and foundations. I don't want to live in a "Homeless friendly city like Seattle" as the article puts it... I want to live in a city that actively has eliminated homelessness. Is Biden going to help with that? Are we gonna have to beg for our money back to help with that?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

at one point i probably believed there was an actual coherent endgame in mind for the GOP, but at this point I think it's been so hollowed out by psychotic true believers that I don't think there really is any vision other than "gently caress you". it's like that book about the free city project in NH - just a bunch of independently wealthy individuals with their own ideas about what freedom looks like, with no overarching morality or identity or cohesive vision for a society, just a bunch of rich idiots and assholes who have been coasting for most of their lives on unearned wealth.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

the democrats at least want a somewhat orderly, sterile, technocratic society so i guess that puts them up a point over the howling shitgibbons that make up the GOP

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ADINSX posted:

I mean, is it? The military accounts for about half of our discretionary spending, a smaller federal government would by definition mean an end to that. They seem pretty happy with the current arrangement: A country that does little to nothing in the way of services of its citizens, with a strong, expensive military (with plenty of contracts for themselves and their buddies) and a police state mentality. If they had any intention of letting any of the states "go" don't you think they'd be encouraging the blue ones to leave? That'd be 55 solid blue electoral college votes they'd never have to worry about again.

I don't think any political party really represents what I'm describing, the GOP (in theory) wants a small federal government but it also wants small city and state governments, I'm not advocating that, I'm saying that the Seattle MSA region should have way more control over the tax revenue of the people that live here... Homelessness has exploded here in the past 5 years to the point where people are building hovervilles with actual wooden structures and foundations. I don't want to live in a "Homeless friendly city like Seattle" as the article puts it... I want to live in a city that actively has eliminated homelessness. Is Biden going to help with that? Are we gonna have to beg for our money back to help with that?

historically, governments react extremely well to the populace ceasing to pay taxes

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

kitten emergency posted:

at one point i probably believed there was an actual coherent endgame in mind for the GOP, but at this point I think it's been so hollowed out by psychotic true believers that I don't think there really is any vision other than "gently caress you". it's like that book about the free city project in NH - just a bunch of independently wealthy individuals with their own ideas about what freedom looks like, with no overarching morality or identity or cohesive vision for a society, just a bunch of rich idiots and assholes who have been coasting for most of their lives on unearned wealth.

there's this horrible evangelical novel series called left behind about how christian zionism brings about the biblical rapture

that's unironically the GOP's end game.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

historically, governments react extremely well to the populace ceasing to pay taxes

I know Trump says insane bullshit on a daily basis, but what do you think would happen if instead of a 2-1 decision to strike down these types of attempts to cut federal funding from cities, it was a 2-1 (or 3-0) decision for? Also, the guy pushing for this insane bullshit is appointing the judges.

Seattle was deemed an "Anarchist City" in part because of our (pretty tame) effort to defund the police department... during a budget crunch where literally everything is going to have to take a cut. I don't even know if the latest effort to cut federal funding has made it to a court, the article just says that this similar case was blocked... maybe they'll change their minds this time!

So anyway, what if that were ruled permissible, would the judge also say you don't have to pay taxes? At the risk of sounding like one of those "ALL TAXATION IS THEFT" guys, its sort of hard to think about it any other way, where most of our tax money literally cannot be sent back to us, like some sort of occupied territory.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

kitten emergency posted:

There still is a GOP master plan, and that's basically move all legislative decisions to the courts and defang congress. They've been filling the courts up with federalist society ghouls for years now. I think it was around Obama's 2 terms that they completely realized that they had 0 chances of winning anything in popular elections.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

there's this horrible evangelical novel series called left behind about how christian zionism brings about the biblical rapture

that's unironically the GOP's end game.

I’m very familiar with left behind and that set - I’m sure the evangelical crowd is still way into millennial dispensationalism or w/e. but it’s a shrinking part of the country, religiosity is falling off a cliff

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ADINSX posted:

I know Trump says insane bullshit on a daily basis, but what do you think would happen if instead of a 2-1 decision to strike down these types of attempts to cut federal funding from cities, it was a 2-1 (or 3-0) decision for? Also, the guy pushing for this insane bullshit is appointing the judges.

Seattle was deemed an "Anarchist City" in part because of our (pretty tame) effort to defund the police department... during a budget crunch where literally everything is going to have to take a cut. I don't even know if the latest effort to cut federal funding has made it to a court, the article just says that this similar case was blocked... maybe they'll change their minds this time!

So anyway, what if that were ruled permissible, would the judge also say you don't have to pay taxes? At the risk of sounding like one of those "ALL TAXATION IS THEFT" guys, its sort of hard to think about it any other way, where most of our tax money literally cannot be sent back to us, like some sort of occupied territory.

if the decision goes the other way? then PDX loses federal funding due to being "out of compliance" or whatever. Same legal mechanism to enforce nationwide 21 for booze.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

if the decision goes the other way? then PDX loses federal funding due to being "out of compliance" or whatever. Same legal mechanism to enforce nationwide 21 for booze.

That was a law passed by congress; and you got 10% less federal highway money if you didn't change the drinking age.

This is the president saying the Attorney General has the ability to declare a region an "Anarchist Jurisdiction" based on any factors he “deems appropriate.” The penalty for this is having all federal funding (and covid aid) cut off.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Oh and some conservatives opposed the law as a violation of states rights haha remember that? Lets talk more about the GOPs master plan though like there's some grand philosophy at work beyond racism and loving over poor people

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

ADINSX posted:

the GOP wants rich people and corporations to be able to do whatever they want, and a strong and well-funded federal government gets in the way of that. whatever bullshit ideology they claim, them wanting the smallest, weakest government possible is 100% about getting to do whatever they want and not be held accountable. a big, expensive military furthers that goal, in that it’s both a teat to suckle on in the form of military contracts, and a security force for their overseas assets.

if you get your way, where the US turns into a bunch of competing fiefdoms, better hope your state doesn’t depend on any rivers that originate in another state for water, products shipped in by road or rail. etc etc etc

also, have you, like, been outside of Seattle? while lotta rednecks in Washington state once you get away from Seattle

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

kitten emergency posted:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Doc Block posted:

the GOP wants rich people and corporations to be able to do whatever they want, and a strong and well-funded federal government gets in the way of that. whatever bullshit ideology they claim, them wanting the smallest, weakest government possible is 100% about getting to do whatever they want and not be held accountable. a big, expensive military furthers that goal, in that it’s both a teat to suckle on in the form of military contracts, and a security force for their overseas assets.

if you get your way, where the US turns into a bunch of competing fiefdoms, better hope your state doesn’t depend on any rivers that originate in another state for water, products shipped in by road or rail. etc etc etc

also, have you, like, been outside of Seattle? while lotta rednecks in Washington state once you get away from Seattle

Yes, I have, and I'm from Louisiana, so I'm familiar with the concept. I know secession is a pipe dream, and I mentioned that even in the best case it would really just be the I-5 corridor I'd wanna share a country with.

But what I do want is actual good socialist style services: good free schools, good free healthcare, subsidized/free housing, all that good stuff. I don't see any of those things becoming a reality unless cities (and states controlled by democratic majorities, like Washington) have more money and freedom to implement these things; I've honestly lost faith that it can happen at a national level, so I'll settle for a city/state level.

And by the way, "a bunch of competing fiefdoms" is most of the rest of the world. America is huge geographically, and the federal government has grown tremendously in power since World War 2. We're not talking about some natural law that America must continue to exist exactly as it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

and their operating systems are pieces of poo poo.