Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

sean10mm posted:

X570 is really for if you need to connect shitloads of SATA and PCIe devices simultaneously because B550 has some constraints there, but those are irrelevant if you're doing 1 graphics card + a few drives like most people.

Cool, I don't think I need slots and stuff (as long as I can stick in a 3080 + NVME SSD + HDD) so B550 might be what I'm looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I'm thinking about upgrading my processor in the coming months. I currently have an Intel i5-3570k with a modest overclock and an air cooler and I don't know if there's something worth upgrading to on my LGA 1155 socket motherboard, or if its time to get a new motherboard and processer. I use my PC mostly for some basic statistical analysis stuff (SAS, some STATA stuff thats not very complex) and gaming. I like my graphics to look pretty but I don't do anything close to 4k, I only have an RX-590 graphics card. I'd like to stick with a $300 budget at most, but cheaper is better.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Nix Panicus posted:

I'm thinking about upgrading my processor in the coming months. I currently have an Intel i5-3570k with a modest overclock and an air cooler and I don't know if there's something worth upgrading to on my LGA 1155 socket motherboard, or if its time to get a new motherboard and processer. I use my PC mostly for some basic statistical analysis stuff (SAS, some STATA stuff thats not very complex) and gaming. I like my graphics to look pretty but I don't do anything close to 4k, I only have an RX-590 graphics card. I'd like to stick with a $300 budget at most, but cheaper is better.

If I understand all this stuff right, a 9900k is $300 right now.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Harold Fjord posted:

Pretty sure it won't fit my LGA 1155 socket. I don't really have the budget for a $300 processor and a $100 motherboard at the moment

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Harold Fjord posted:

Yeah but that comes with a new motherboard and ram too. Unfortunately, so does everything else worth buying. Everyone else in the same position has driven the price of compatible i7s well above what they're actually worth. $400 on a good day is about the minimum.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I misread something somewhere. There's no room to upgrade that socket. You want a 3600 and an inexpensive motherboard.

Is there any reason a 3600 or 3700k wouldnt work with this with ASRock B550M PRO4? It's on sale.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089VY5WVM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Harold Fjord posted:

I misread something somewhere. There's no room to upgrade that socket. You want a 3600 and an inexpensive motherboard.

Is there any reason a 3600 or 3700k wouldnt work with this with ASRock B550M PRO4? It's on sale.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089VY5WVM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1?

No, but you still need ddr4 ram on top of the rest.

jebrown84
Aug 27, 2005

Help me Johnny Boy you're my only hope.
Looking into trying to build a low budget gaming pc for a friends 11 year old. We already have a SSD, monitor, keyboard and mouse. Location is Houston TX. There is a Microcenter downtown. I've built computers before but not in 5-7 years. Budget I'd say is $500 or so. Doesn't necessarily need to run the newest games at the highest graphic levels. I just don't know where to start. I haven't seen a "recommended build" post in the last few pages any guidance would be nice.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

jebrown84 posted:

Looking into trying to build a low budget gaming pc for a friends 11 year old. We already have a SSD, monitor, keyboard and mouse. Location is Houston TX. There is a Microcenter downtown. I've built computers before but not in 5-7 years. Budget I'd say is $500 or so. Doesn't necessarily need to run the newest games at the highest graphic levels. I just don't know where to start. I haven't seen a "recommended build" post in the last few pages any guidance would be nice.

What games do you think the friend's 11-year-old will play? Also what's the resolution of the monitor? I'm assuming 60 Hz refresh rate, but let me know if it's different.

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 17, 2020

jebrown84
Aug 27, 2005

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

What games do you think the friend's 11-year-old will play? Also what's the resolution of the monitor? I'm assuming 60 Hz refresh rate, but let me know if it's different.

1024x768 at least. He plays Minecraft, Terria, 2d games. Nothing super graphic. We can always upgrade the video card later.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

jebrown84 posted:

1024x768 at least. He plays Minecraft, Terria, 2d games. Nothing super graphic. We can always upgrade the video card later.

$300 might be a challenge if you're getting everything from Microcenter. Here's what I managed:

Oh wait lol, you said $500. Not sure why I read $300.

Configure Your PC
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G Picasso 3.7GHz Quad-Core AM4 Boxed Processor with Wraith Spire Cooler ($129.99 EACH)
Motherboard: MSI B450M Pro-VHD Max AMD AM4 mATX Motherboard ($79.99 EACH)
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 CL16 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit F4-3200C16D-16GVKB - Black ($58.99 EACH)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L mATX Mini Tower Computer Case - Black ($49.99 EACH)
Power Supply: (1) Cooler Master MasterWatt 650 Watt 80 Plus Bronze ATX Semi-Modular Power Supply ($84.99 EACH)
Total: $403.95
Generated by Micro Center (10/17/2020 1:09:43 AM)

That should handle the games you mentioned. The power supply has a 5 year warranty which is okay but better than the 3 years for similar choices, plus the semi-modular design can help make things easier to connect inside the case and keep cable management cleaner. You can swap out the case for the Cooler Master N200 for the same price, but I thought the clear side panel might be fun for the child to see the components, even though there's no flashy RGB or anything.

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Oct 17, 2020

jebrown84
Aug 27, 2005

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

$300 might be a challenge if you're getting everything from Microcenter. Here's what I managed:

Oh wait lol, you said $500. Not sure why I read $300.

Configure Your PC
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G Picasso 3.7GHz Quad-Core AM4 Boxed Processor with Wraith Spire Cooler ($129.99 EACH)
Motherboard: MSI B450M Pro-VHD Max AMD AM4 mATX Motherboard ($79.99 EACH)
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 CL16 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit F4-3200C16D-16GVKB - Black ($58.99 EACH)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L mATX Mini Tower Computer Case - Black ($49.99 EACH)
Power Supply: (1) Cooler Master MasterWatt 650 Watt 80 Plus Bronze ATX Semi-Modular Power Supply ($84.99 EACH)
Total: $403.95
Generated by Micro Center (10/17/2020 1:09:43 AM)

That should handle the games you mentioned. I didn't want to go with a cheaper motherboard than the thread favorite. The power supply has a 5 year warranty which is okay but better than the 3 years for similar choices, plus the semi-modular design can help make things easier to connect inside the case and keep cable management cleaner. You can swap out the case for the Cooler Master N200 for the same price, but I thought the clear side panel might be fun for the child to see the components, even though there's no flashy RGB or anything.

Thank you this is the kind of thing I was looking for.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Some Goon posted:

Yeah but that comes with a new motherboard and ram too. Unfortunately, so does everything else worth buying. Everyone else in the same position has driven the price of compatible i7s well above what they're actually worth. $400 on a good day is about the minimum.

So stick with what I've got until the budget lets me replace the board, cpu, and ram all at once? Is there nothing for LGA 1155 thats a reasonable upgrade over an i5-3570k?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
No. All there really is the 2600k and 2700k. The gains would be marginal.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Having just upgraded from an Intel 2400, AMD's 3700X slaps real hard. :hmmyes:

I just realized I've switched vendors for every major build: Pentium II to Athlon to Core 2 to Ryzen. :pcgaming:

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Well, if I am going to have to replace everything, whats the thread favorite cpu/mobo/ram set up for a $300-$400 build?

Angry Asian
May 24, 2006
*BOOMSHAKALAKA*

Harold Fjord posted:

Thoughts on fractal focus g cases? Key difference vs meshify seems to be price and having external bays that require lower fan positions. And being on sale for $40 shipped.

I bought one cheap and think it's great for the value. The front fans that come with the case do well enough as throw ins but i bought another fan for exhaust. Cable management is alright. I got rid of the storage cage at the bottom and just put my ssd up in the drive bay at the top just cause i think it looks better. The only that thing that i dont like is that one of the led's at the top of the case is obnoxiously bright and can be annoying when trying to sleep but you can just cover it up.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
After some advice from this thread I think I've decided to build in the Be Quiet 500dx (atx size).
I'm now trying to narrow down my B550 motherboard.

Need: WiFi, two functioning m.2 storage slots (pcie 4 would be nice for at least one of them), USB-c header for the front IO.

I've seen people saying the audio codecs are better on some models, but if I plan on mainly using a headphone amp will it make a difference? I do use speakers through the 3.5 jack sometimes.

Any suggestions? The Mortar and the ROG Strix seem good but maybe overkill?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Pegnose Pete posted:

After some advice from this thread I think I've decided to build in the Be Quiet 500dx (atx size).
I'm now trying to narrow down my B550 motherboard.

Need: WiFi, two functioning m.2 storage slots (pcie 4 would be nice for at least one of them), USB-c header for the front IO.

I've seen people saying the audio codecs are better on some models, but if I plan on mainly using a headphone amp will it make a difference? I do use speakers through the 3.5 jack sometimes.

Any suggestions? The Mortar and the ROG Strix seem good but maybe overkill?

If you aren't overclocking the B550M pro vdh wifi checks all the boxes for like 110 bux.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Nix Panicus posted:

Well, if I am going to have to replace everything, whats the thread favorite cpu/mobo/ram set up for a $300-$400 build?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($109.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($61.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $371.97

If you want to come in closer to $300, you will probably need to step down to a 2600 and a B450 board. I am not actually 100% sure if it's advisable to aim for 3200 MHz RAM if doing a 2600 build if you want setting up RAM to be as straightforward as turning on XMP.

e: double checked and one should probably aim for a solid b450 board instead of the cheapest one available. The thread used to recommend the Tomahawk Max but that's risen in price a bit. Looks like the MSI B450 Pro-VDH Max has risen to around $110, that's probably still a pretty solid choice. If I was aiming lower the Gigabyte Aorus M is only $85 atm.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Oct 17, 2020

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Nix Panicus posted:

Ryzen 5 3600 for 180 (if you have access to a microcenter, otherwise you’ll have to watch deal sites like a hawk), pick your poison b550 in the ~120 range.

Spend ~60-70 bucks on 16 gigs of the ram of your choice.

~350 total is about the price point where starting over starts to provide you with something that will last and even have an upgrade path if you want it.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JJQwVc

I don't know how reasonable this is but it's what I'm doing feel free to tell me where I was dumb but as I've already bought/preordered (power supply) changes aren't super likely. Still undecided on what to get for my cpu, and if I want to waste money water cooling (I do I mean that case has a glass panel and watercooling looks neato).

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Duck and Cover posted:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JJQwVc

I don't know how reasonable this is but it's what I'm doing feel free to tell me where I was dumb but as I've already bought/preordered (power supply) changes aren't super likely. Still undecided on what to get for my cpu, and if I want to waste money water cooling (I do I mean that case has a glass panel and watercooling looks neato).

Water cooling with an AIO in the NR200 doesn’t look neato at all because you’re gonna have to side mount the rad and not use that glass panel.

You can still do it, or you can air cool (or go nuts with a custom loop, but that’s beyond most of what this thread is for, and is utterly unnecessary unless “it looks cool” will trump all other considerations for you)

That said, rest of parts list seems fine. Assuming the FE3080 is a placeholder for “any 3080” double check the fit on any given card in the NR200 as some of the absolute biggest ones out there will require some case finagling to make work, But most reasonable ones should fit fine.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Is a z170 functional for a modern intel chip? For some reason I thought I had a second 1155 socket mobo, but I don't so maybe I should just put a faster chip in this?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Harold Fjord posted:

Is a z170 functional for a modern intel chip? For some reason I thought I had a second 1155 socket mobo, but I don't so maybe I should just put a faster chip in this?

Only up to kaby lake (7xxx). Like all older Intel chipsets, the i7s are overpriced and the i5s got left behind on thread count.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m moving a bunch of poo poo to a new case/mobo/PSU this week. Anything I should know about moving the CPU over? That looks like it’s gonna be the riskiest part. I’ve only ever installed new CPUs into a motherboard, never transferred one to a new build.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Are refurbished EVGA cards eligible for the Step Up program? I might just buy a 2070 so that I can play Cyberpunk at a reasonable FPS and then try to step up to a 30-series card, since it seems unlikely I'll get one before mid-November.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

CaptainPsyko posted:

Water cooling with an AIO in the NR200 doesn’t look neato at all because you’re gonna have to side mount the rad and not use that glass panel.

You can still do it, or you can air cool (or go nuts with a custom loop, but that’s beyond most of what this thread is for, and is utterly unnecessary unless “it looks cool” will trump all other considerations for you)

That said, rest of parts list seems fine. Assuming the FE3080 is a placeholder for “any 3080” double check the fit on any given card in the NR200 as some of the absolute biggest ones out there will require some case finagling to make work, But most reasonable ones should fit fine.

Duck and Cover posted:

I found this at Ocean State Job Lot is it any good? I have a 1080 and this one has a bigger number so I assume it's better right?

Yeah I was thinking custom loop because I'm dumb and AIO would either be improperly put in the bottom, or block most of the view on the side. Alternatively https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/cpu-air-coolers/masterair-g100m/.

Edit: Just in case, that post was a troll and I bought it online from Best Buy so yeah don't go rushing out to Ocean State Job Lot.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 17, 2020

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Sab669 posted:

Are refurbished EVGA cards eligible for the Step Up program? I might just buy a 2070 so that I can play Cyberpunk at a reasonable FPS and then try to step up to a 30-series card, since it seems unlikely I'll get one before mid-November.

If that's what you're going to do, just buy a regular 2070 from EVGA or an authorized reseller and then step up. You're spending the money anyways, so you only have to spend the difference for the 30X0.
:shrug:

Not sure if the 3070s are on Step Up, yet, so you may have to do a 3080 if you want to do it (the program times out after 30 days from purchase, iirc).

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Sab669 posted:

Generally, only products with a 3-year warranty are eligible for Step-Up. Refurbished and B-stock usually only have a 1-year warranty.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Hello. I am hoping to build a ("good") gaming PC in the near future but at the moment I'm mainly doing research and reading. One of the things I care about is noise. Are there particular GPUs or CPU fans I should avoid because they're super loud? Are there cases which are designed to be extra-quiet? Or is it basically true that increased performance equals increased noise and there's not a lot I can do about it? Are there other crucial questions I should be asking?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Doom Mathematic posted:

Hello. I am hoping to build a ("good") gaming PC in the near future but at the moment I'm mainly doing research and reading. One of the things I care about is noise. Are there particular GPUs or CPU fans I should avoid because they're super loud? Are there cases which are designed to be extra-quiet? Or is it basically true that increased performance equals increased noise and there's not a lot I can do about it? Are there other crucial questions I should be asking?

"quiet" cases have poor airflow. Get a high airflow case and big fans you can run slow and quiet.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m moving a bunch of poo poo to a new case/mobo/PSU this week. Anything I should know about moving the CPU over? That looks like it’s gonna be the riskiest part. I’ve only ever installed new CPUs into a motherboard, never transferred one to a new build.

Why a mother board change if not for a new CPU? That’s pretty rare outside of something DOA so I’m just curious.

Clean the paste from the cpu/cooler real well with ISO/rubbing alcohol. There should be no residue at all. Clean the cpu while it’s still in the mobo socket after the color is off.

Sab669 posted:

No. Just buy the best card you can at an authorized retailer up to the price of a 30xx you’re buying. You’ll pay no extra cost outside of the 30xx card.

Also don’t do it banking on a 3070 showing up. They may not add it and you’ll be screwed.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Kingnothing posted:

No. Just buy the best card you can at an authorized retailer up to the price of a 30xx you’re buying. You’ll pay no extra cost outside of the 30xx card.

Also don’t do it banking on a 3070 showing up. They may not add it and you’ll be screwed.

I do game at 1440p so in theory I could justify a 3080, but only 60hz so at the same time I'd rather save the money with a 3070 I think? It's hard to get a consensus from what I've read. Most benchmarks I've seen are "1080/60 vs 1440/120" and I'm kinda in between.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Sab669 posted:

I do game at 1440p so in theory I could justify a 3080, but only 60hz so at the same time I'd rather save the money with a 3070 I think? It's hard to get a consensus from what I've read. Most benchmarks I've seen are "1080/60 vs 1440/120" and I'm kinda in between.

If a 3080 is within your budget, then that'll give you a lot of future proofing. That said, AMD will likely be announcing some cards that are right in your wheelhouse.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Hopefully there will be supply of anything

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kingnothing posted:

Why a mother board change if not for a new CPU? That’s pretty rare outside of something DOA so I’m just curious.

Clean the paste from the cpu/cooler real well with ISO/rubbing alcohol. There should be no residue at all. Clean the cpu while it’s still in the mobo socket after the color is off.

Thanks for the tip. I’m moving morherboards since this computer is a prebuilt that I got a stupid good deal on and the motherboard is a bit rear end. I’m moving up to a larger case for the 3000 series GPUs and figured I may as well swap the motherboard while I’m at it.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

sean10mm posted:

If you aren't overclocking the B550M pro vdh wifi checks all the boxes for like 110 bux.

Hey thanks for the reply.
I haven't tried overclocking since like 2010 but if the process is easier nowadays I might try for a few extra points, but I'm probably going to spring for a 5800X or whatever the 8c/12t unit is in a few months.
At that point I'm not sure if I'd even notice the difference coming from my current i7 6700.

So back to mobos, after some more research it looks like the Msi offerings are a good value and all seem to pack a type-c header (albeit only Gen 1), while the Asus TUF or Strix boards have better audio but no internal type-c header.
I don't know how much I would even use the front type c, but I just hate the idea of having dead front IO ports.

Can anyone shine light on how different the audio codes are between mobos? Asus apparently has double amps? If it's powerful enough to drive my old AKG 701 headphones then I might not need to buy a separate headphone amp.

I'm also debating whether to use a sata drive or not. Since I'm building ATX it feels like I might as well throw one in for music and downloads, but I have a nice Nas box with 2 bays still open that I can throw more red drives into.

So for storage I might just grab a 1tb SN550 now as my main drive, and in a year or two grab a pcie 4 drive once they come down in price. At that point I would use the SN550 for extra storage.

OH one last question, there seem to be lots of nice micro-atx B550 boards. Are there any pros and cons of using a smaller board in an ATX tower in terms of thermals or anything?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Sab669 posted:

3070 should absolutely crush 1440p at 60.

gently caress my 1060 6gb was doing well 1440p@60.

If you have any intention of moving to 1440p@144hz or 4k@60 (+) within the life of your GPU, and it’s within your budget, you should get a 3080.

We don’t know for sure yet, but the 3070 will very likely struggle with 4k@60, and later in the generation it could even struggle with 1440@144.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Thanks for the tip. I’m moving morherboards since this computer is a prebuilt that I got a stupid good deal on and the motherboard is a bit rear end. I’m moving up to a larger case for the 3000 series GPUs and figured I may as well swap the motherboard while I’m at it.

Oh hey one of the rare instances it makes sense!

Glad you’re also doing the PSU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I think if I manage to get an 80 then eventually I'd upgrade to 144hz next year maybe but if not then I'll stick with the display I have.