Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Drink the flask, fill it with water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I nearly didn't die!

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/OrneryImmaterialKiskadee-mobile.mp4

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

The flask change has garnered a lot of comments; I'm pretty sure we'll be considering what to do about it. :) Thanks for all the other feedback & gifs as well!

TACD posted:

I feel like the game should keep track of the greatest top speed / acceleration achieved

This is a really good idea, haha!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Hempuli posted:

The flask change has garnered a lot of comments; I'm pretty sure we'll be considering what to do about it. :) Thanks for all the other feedback & gifs as well!

This is a really good idea, haha!

Keep up the good work, this is the best Noita yet!

Random flask suggestions that aren't just "go back to water flask!!" that I'm sure are worse than what you'll come up with:
- Choose from flasks that can put out fires to start with, but which one is random at least
- Start with an empty flask / water flask alongside the random one
- If you start with a flask that can't put out fires, ensure that one of the wands you start with can?
- Some kind of button to dump an entire flask at once?
- If you are emptying a flask for more than a second or so, increase the speed it empties dramatically to speed up emptying a flask
- guaranteed flask (empty? water?) in between floors, can place it near the health and wand refill or something. then players can fill up a water flask without having to waste the random one they have
- tweak how fire spreads to the player, making it so you need to be in fire for a prolonged period for it to last a significant time after leaving. This would make accidentally stepping into fire less punishing before having a reliable water source

I do like the randomization of the flasks, and it does encourage me to use them in novel ways I wasn't before. Honestly in earlier versions I almost never used any flask that wasn't a straight-forward buff since it always felt like there were better options. Early on though, not having those options makes using something like a gunpowder flask useful for digging, or lava flask as a makeshift weapon, etc. I like that aspect of the randomization, but it really does suck to get something that can be dangerous to empty like gunpowder or polymorph, and then have to suffer through what feels like unfair damage from lightly stepping into fire

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Having watched a day of Noita streams i'm actually impressed by the range of the chat voting events, that stuff isn't as half-hearted as i was expecting. They can go from saving a player over and over and carrying them to the boss to basically killing them in seconds using half a dozen very noita-ish ways. A run can either be a jolly cooperation effort or a fierce PVP game where chat just spawns nothing but Steve's and random potions on you, or flip flop between the two every few minutes.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Having watched a day of Noita streams i'm actually impressed by the range of the chat voting events, that stuff isn't as half-hearted as i was expecting. They can go from saving a player over and over and carrying them to the boss to basically killing them in seconds using half a dozen very noita-ish ways. A run can either be a jolly cooperation effort or a fierce PVP game where chat just spawns nothing but Steve's and random potions on you, or flip flop between the two every few minutes.

This sounds amazing and I'm kind of sad I don't stream so I can't experience it.

Is there some kinda mod that triggers them at random? I could also see letting you adjust the frequency of helping ones and punishing ones. Honestly that might work well as difficulty tuning - set a small amount of help and no punishing for a little less difficulty, or max them both out for sheer chaos.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

CodfishCartographer posted:

Is there some kinda mod that triggers them at random? I could also see letting you adjust the frequency of helping ones and punishing ones. Honestly that might work well as difficulty tuning - set a small amount of help and no punishing for a little less difficulty, or max them both out for sheer chaos.
The game gives you very granular control - you can set all countdown/periods for voting and vote cooldown, and you can manually enable or disable any specific event (which i suggest since theres a few boring ones like "-hp" or "nothing"). Don't think there's precise probability tuning tho.

When two or more votes receive an equal amount of votes the game picks the winner randomly. That could work with an empty chat for a randomizer (all equal at 0), but i don't know if there's a "no votes submitted, skipping events" check, and if there is if it can be modded out.

Gonna have to test it. edit: it works with 0 viewers in an empty chat and randomly selects a winner. You dont even have to enter any authorization for the channel, so you can just dump a random (empty) channel in there afaik.

I did see a bug where the game crashed every time at certain points if "friendly ghosts (with playernames)" was active, like when "completing the works"

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Oct 17, 2020

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Treasure chests containing the electricity gizmo submerged in water have killed me twice today.

Good game.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

55 hours in and this is the absolute stingiest game I have every played. For a game about making everything turn to gold, it is a monument to miserliness.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Victory Position posted:

55 hours in and this is the absolute stingiest game I have every played. For a game about making everything turn to gold, it is a monument to miserliness.

I知 on the third stage and backtracking I知 past 2000 gold. But I致e got over 900 hours in the game so I致e figured out a lot of stuff.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Maybe this is obvious but because I'm a bad I only thought of this now but rebinding the potion\item keys to f1..f4 instead of 5...8 makes it much easier to reach those keys and actually remember to use the items. idk.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

CodfishCartographer posted:

Keep up the good work, this is the best Noita yet!

Random flask suggestions that aren't just "go back to water flask!!" that I'm sure are worse than what you'll come up with:
- Choose from flasks that can put out fires to start with, but which one is random at least
- Start with an empty flask / water flask alongside the random one
- If you start with a flask that can't put out fires, ensure that one of the wands you start with can?
- Some kind of button to dump an entire flask at once?
- If you are emptying a flask for more than a second or so, increase the speed it empties dramatically to speed up emptying a flask
- guaranteed flask (empty? water?) in between floors, can place it near the health and wand refill or something. then players can fill up a water flask without having to waste the random one they have
- tweak how fire spreads to the player, making it so you need to be in fire for a prolonged period for it to last a significant time after leaving. This would make accidentally stepping into fire less punishing before having a reliable water source

Honestly, fire isn't nearly as big a deal for me as toxic sludge is. I feel like getting sludged by enemies is more common than getting set on fire by them, and of course early on there's plenty of sludge pools but it takes a little more work to get set on fire (screw up kicking an oil lamp, most likely).

And water is by far the most reliable way to get rid of sludge.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Which is made way worse if you either don't spawn with a flask that can clear sludge/fire or get barely any water pools. It's a totally uncessary difficulty ramp for the first area. If I start a run with bounce shot and a bad flask I just hit restart before I've even gone down the ramp.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Bounce shot is awesome though? It's cheap and spammy, a great choice to attach projectile modifiers to. A fire witch with flaming bounce shots can set the entire screen on fire in no time.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

not if you get a crappy low rof wand or you only spawn with one spell on the wand.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Amazing.

TACD posted:

I feel like the game should keep track of the greatest top speed / acceleration achieved

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

Is there something wrong with the 'daily run' start? For some reason it's disabled for me (and I have it turned on in the options). Is it working for everybody else?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Playing on the main branch I had it greyed out for a moment whenever I opened the new game screen, but it still worked. Playing on the beta branch it looks normal.

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

resistentialism posted:

Playing on the main branch I had it greyed out for a moment whenever I opened the new game screen, but it still worked. Playing on the beta branch it looks normal.

Well I guess it's some sort of a bug then? Before the 1.0 update it worked fine.
After the update it was greyed out with the message that I should turn the online on in the options (it was on).
After the hotfix I have a 'connection error' message.

nekoxid fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 17, 2020

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

When I try to visualise what kind of situation calls for the calculation of jerk, snap, or higher-order time derivatives of position, this is what I see.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Maybe this is obvious but because I'm a bad I only thought of this now but rebinding the potion\item keys to f1..f4 instead of 5...8 makes it much easier to reach those keys and actually remember to use the items. idk.

I bound them to ZXCV
but yeah 5678 are not easy to reach while in the middle of a fight and still trying to move around with WASD.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

I got the rat.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That値l do, witch. That値l do.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I really dig all the new effects and sounds added in 1.0

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
So, is there any particular reason Noita crashes steam when I close it? Or is that just weird poo poo for my PC?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Post poste posted:

So, is there any particular reason Noita crashes steam when I close it? Or is that just weird poo poo for my PC?

I知 having a similar issue with several games including noita. It freezes up and will either crash or unfreeze if I leave it long enough.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Might be worth trying turning off steam cloud saves or whatever that is called, that's something that triggers when you close a game.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I got the rat.

The cause of your death has been repositioned a bit in the latest beta update, to save people from being shot from off-screen. Sorry! Glad you got the rat, though.

Post poste posted:

This is the first time I hear of this issue, so (hopefully) it's not a common thing.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I an enjoying 1 more then the prior builds. I actually have made it through the mines and not in a panic. Really didn't like how you had to get into the ice caves to even get a decent wand before.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I an enjoying 1 more then the prior builds. I actually have made it through the mines and not in a panic. Really didn't like how you had to get into the ice caves to even get a decent wand before.

Early wands seem more interesting, yeah, I remember when the first floor spell pool was really really small. I haven't tried it since 1.0 but you should also be able to tunnel west from floor 1 and find an alternate first floor with harder enemies and rarer loot

edit: while I'm really enjoying 1.0, I think my main issue with the early game that I had a year ago still stands -- playing to win on the first couple floors is pretty tedious. It's relatively low-risk and not really engaging to scour the entire zone for health upgrades and kill every enemy one by one by kicking boxes into them for the double gold nuggets. I think a time limit would piss a lot of people off but getting a bonus chest (like you do for pacifism) in the holy mountain for clearing the first floor or 2 quickly would make skipping stuff feel a little better, even if it still wasn't optimal.

That said, playing for fun is so much fun that even as a compulsive min-maxer I can live with not picking up every bit of loot. There's always still a little voice in the back of my mind though!

goferchan fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Oct 18, 2020

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I don't really like meta progression in roguelikes, but maybe of you do a run where you collect all the health upgrades in mines then they should all get moved to holy mountain in future ones. It wouldn't make you more powerful, just reduce busywork.

Alternatively give you more interesting low powered wands for the first couple of areas

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Hempuli posted:

The cause of your death has been repositioned a bit in the latest beta update, to save people from being shot from off-screen. Sorry! Glad you got the rat, though.

Went back after the run to see what had been added over there, probably a good idea to move it just based on the amount of health it has. Seems unlikely that you would have a good enough wand to kill it at that point in most runs.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I must have been so lucky - I saw a few green shots come from that way so blasted in that direction with my fire spray wand, by the time I got over there the area was empty but there were some explosions going on in the far east wall. I think that's where it ended up somehow, trapped, letting me get back up through the chasm to do the rest of the run unmolested. It definitely didn't spawn in the wall to start with or I wouldn't have seen incoming fire.

I got my first win last year before the upgraded boss, then since then only 2 or 3 wins so I was very proud to get a win in 1.0 already! So now I feel kind of bad that I was "helped" by a glitch, but eh I'll take it.

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
Game was working fine as of last night, with and without mods. Woke up this morning and it will hang/crash randomly. Sometimes it is just the video and I can hear the game otherwise continuing in the background, sometimes if is totally locked up. Either way, if I alt-tab and then back into the game, it will just show a totally black or white screen, rapidly flashing. No crash report has been generated. I have tried it without mods, totally removed and reinstalled. Beta branch, restart computer, etc. Nothing seems to fix it. Sound like anything anyone has heard of before? Searching so far hasn't turned up anything that I can find.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Have steam verify your local files? Nevermind, you said you reinstalled.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

What causes a zone to be extra dark, just one of the random biome modifiers?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Left of the collapsed mines is always like that.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I think it's a random modifier now though? Pretty sure I had it in the collapsed mines yesterday.

e] Oh yea I meant the initial zone, not collapsed mines :argh:

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

This was 2 feet into the very first zone though. The fog wouldn't stay revealed and there was only a small amount of light around me. Also I just kicked a hand and it got quite cross at me.