Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Thundarr posted:

Just grinded out enough storage upgrades and S rank modules to take a stock exotic ship to 48+21 and maxed out systems in a couple hours, ama

Tomorrow I'll have enough quicksilver to get a void egg. Do I take the dive, or do I keep using the q-bux to make myself prettier?

I'm gonna go against the grain a bit here and say I like the void egg questline--at least for me, it sent me to a bunch of creepy, very atmospheric planets to get completely loving lost.
Felt exhausting and nerve-wracking, but, like, in a good way. Searching into the night like the sort of mad scientist/explorer who would actually want to make this sort of thing.
Also you probably wouldn't want to do it in one session. It's pretty time consuming.

But then I also like spooky walking sims, so \/:shobon:\/

That said you probably wouldn't want to do it in one session, it's pretty time consuming.

Now the ship itself, that kinda sucks, and isn't even as flavorful as it should be. What the gently caress kind of "living" being needs to be TOLD to charge it's brain with oxygen?

Living ship buff idea: Have it automatically charge it's organs with stuff in it's inventory. And maybe give it some sort of "wander" mode where it goes and finds some ruins or an anomaly or something for you? Increased anomaly rate? It's a creepy artificial psychic space whale / ship, it should amount to something besides just a ship that uses cheap fuel but has bad stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I want a whole living ship set, imagine a living fleshy capital ship with flesh frigates.

I finally found another tiny hauler that was A class and i'm decking it out but loving hell 50k nanites to upgrade it to S class? You can buy super cheap A/S class fighters for 2-3m and salvage them for 1.7m as long as you get the ones with low inventory/tech slots. I'm kinda worried that my A class hauler is stuck at 35+11 where my A class explorer was 38+12 at stock, just because it's tiny i better not be limited in slots cause that's some BS hidden crap. I found out you can turn hadal cores and the larvae into nanites inside a refiner which is insane--do hypnotic eyes turn into anything special?

Anyone elses frigates only return like 200 units for discoveries? Is it because they failed that roll?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Devorum posted:

So they changed a lot of recipes with this latest update? Or am I just forgetful?

I don't remember needing a quantum computer to put a survey device in my multi-tool.

Forget the name but you'll also need a specific item to fix ships instead of just ores and stuff.
But you can buy it at most places or hit up that drone guarded place that gives you recipes.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Thundarr posted:

After you make a base (early in the initial questline), one of the things you're able to build is a construction terminal. Make that, and shortly after you should get a mission update to hire an overseer to run it. Once you do that, he'll start directing you to do other things including hiring some other NPCs to do things at your base, each of which has their own questline and unlocks some other blueprints.

I think you get the construction terminal blueprint on like the third Artemis mission?

Thanks for that. I plugged on with it a little and am no at the mission where it's telling me to build a reputation with the Gek, after making me trek all over the place to learn one loving word at a time...

Anyway, I didn't quite realise that the Artemis missions were still more or less the tutorial missions, so I might be coming up to that soon.

The thing that's making me bounce off the game so far is just the constant hunting for basic things needed to do stuff like launch your ship off the loving ground and the 10 to 15 minute trek you have to make to find the nearest patch of of material for it.

Materials for building bases or new equipment I could understand but the essential thing for basic mobility just makes it a loving chore.

I even went to try and find those upgrades for the scanner that folk recommended. No joy there first of all as the only one I could find was an A-class, but then to install it I need a bunch of components that only seem to be sold at random vendors that in turn cost all the money I don't bloody have.

edit: Every time I feel like I've made a marginal amount of progress it then seems to throw another loving wall or collectathon at me to take the next step in it.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

If I sell my preorder ship will I be able to get it again? Or is it a one-and-done deal?

Edit: The ship that prompted this question. I already have an exotic but it's so ridiculous that I needed it. It's so loving big it clips through the freighter airlock when you enter/leave lmao. The engines also change direction like a proper VTOL and it shoots laser beams out the back. I was looking for a fighter but I may need to main this one holy poo poo

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Oct 17, 2020

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I got a stack of 38,000 captain's log from my first derelict freighter. Something doesn't seem right about that. Google doesn't have any results of such a thing. I can drop single items off the stack but I can't combine the new stacks. I also can't move the big stack to my ship or freighter.

Was I only supposed to get 1?

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Kin posted:

Thanks for that. I plugged on with it a little and am no at the mission where it's telling me to build a reputation with the Gek, after making me trek all over the place to learn one loving word at a time...

Anyway, I didn't quite realise that the Artemis missions were still more or less the tutorial missions, so I might be coming up to that soon.

The thing that's making me bounce off the game so far is just the constant hunting for basic things needed to do stuff like launch your ship off the loving ground and the 10 to 15 minute trek you have to make to find the nearest patch of of material for it.

Materials for building bases or new equipment I could understand but the essential thing for basic mobility just makes it a loving chore.

I even went to try and find those upgrades for the scanner that folk recommended. No joy there first of all as the only one I could find was an A-class, but then to install it I need a bunch of components that only seem to be sold at random vendors that in turn cost all the money I don't bloody have.

edit: Every time I feel like I've made a marginal amount of progress it then seems to throw another loving wall or collectathon at me to take the next step in it.

Yeah, this is a big problem in the early game. For starship fuel, first try to find an irradiated planet that has uranium on it (will show up on the scanner when you scan a planet) and mine up as much as you can as it only takes about 40 uranium to completely refill the launch thruster. Later, in the Nexus, there's a starship blueprint vendor who sells a blueprint for a component you can create that automatically refills the launch thruster while you're landed so you basically almost never have to refill it again unless you're taking off and landing constantly.

As for the scanner modules, those should equip into your multi-tool without needing additional resources? Are you looking at the ones sold by the multi-tool vendor on the space stations (they are sold for nanites) instead of trying to build one, because they they should be instantly equipable. Even if they aren't S class, I think you'll be very happy with the results of the ones you buy.

Edit: lol yeah the 38,000 logs is some kind of gently caress up. Either sell them all or turn a ton of them in to the guild dude or scrap vendor to instantly get a zillion nanites and/or basically instant Elder status with the civ of your choice. Or you can probably spread them across all three civs and hit Elder status without even trying.

GENUINE CAT HERDER fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Oct 17, 2020

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Hakarne posted:

If I sell my preorder ship will I be able to get it again? Or is it a one-and-done deal?

Edit: The ship that prompted this question. I already have an exotic but it's so ridiculous that I needed it. It's so loving big it clips through the freighter airlock when you enter/leave lmao. The engines also change direction like a proper VTOL and it shoots laser beams out the back. I was looking for a fighter but I may need to main this one holy poo poo

I suspect that if you sell it it's gone-- I don't know if it shows up again if you make a new save file, though. You can "launder" ships across to other players using NPCs, so if you have a ship you literally never use but want to have available (albeit with a bit of extra help/work), you can get them onto another save file that way. Or if you're on PC you could probably just save file edit it back in, if you wanted to.

Zesty posted:

I got a stack of 38,000 captain's log from my first derelict freighter. Something doesn't seem right about that. Google doesn't have any results of such a thing. I can drop single items off the stack but I can't combine the new stacks. I also can't move the big stack to my ship or freighter.

Was I only supposed to get 1?

Yeah uh, you'll probably want to sell or dispose of those before logging off-- I did a Derelict Freighter spam run awhile back and something (I think) about having multiples in my inventory have resulted in a game state where I literally can't complete the mission anymore. At the very least, make a manual save before trying to turn all of them in the normal way so you can revert if that happens to you

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Hakarne posted:

The exotic you posted is basically the top class of ship you can get. You *can* find another one (I have one of that type sitting in my freighter hanger), but it will probably take a while unless you follow coordinates posted by other players in order to to get to a crashed one to fix up. Unless you really hate it I would just keep it until you find one you like the looks of better because nothing is going to out perform that.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

Yeah, this is a big problem in the early game. For starship fuel, first try to find an irradiated planet that has uranium on it (will show up on the scanner when you scan a planet) and mine up as much as you can as it only takes about 40 uranium to completely refill the launch thruster. Later, in the Nexus, there's a starship blueprint vendor who sells a blueprint for a component you can create that automatically refills the launch thruster while you're landed so you basically almost never have to refill it again unless you're taking off and landing constantly.

As for the scanner modules, those should equip into your multi-tool without needing additional resources? Are you looking at the ones sold by the multi-tool vendor on the space stations (they are sold for nanites) instead of trying to build one, because they they should be instantly equipable. Even if they aren't S class, I think you'll be very happy with the results of the ones you buy.

Edit: lol yeah the 38,000 logs is some kind of gently caress up. Either sell them all or turn a ton of them in to the guild dude or scrap vendor to instantly get a zillion nanites and/or basically instant Elder status with the civ of your choice. Or you can probably spread them across all three civs and hit Elder status without even trying.

Ah, cheers for the steer on uranium. At the minute i'm still ore or less just floating around in the first or second solar system i've ended up in as part of the tutorial and don't recall seeing a planet which has it. Also, is it possible to even see a list of the planets in the solar system and what materials they contain? From a bit of playing about it seems like i have to not only go into space (enough) but then point myself towards a visible planet in range to see what's on it after a scan.

I'd have expected there to be some map i can use to track that.

For modules, it might just be mis-reading it, but i bought an item from an upgrade vendor with nanites and then stuck it in a technology slot, but then it's got 0/2 or whatever for resources listed on it which made me think it needs to also be built first?

I feel like if i've gotta read a wiki to understand this game it's a not a good sign.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Upgrade modules for tech components don’t need to be built only installed.
So, you need to build a scatter blaster, for example, for your multitool but any upgrades you buy for the scatter blaster just need installing and need no extra resources to install.
The vendors on the left hand balcony in space stations are the ones who sell these upgrades, there is one who sells for exosuits , one for exocrafts , one for spaceships and one for multitools. The multi tool vendor also has a cabinet which sells a multitool and there will be a computer where you purchase more slots for your multitool and can upgrade the class.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Kin posted:

Ah, cheers for the steer on uranium. At the minute i'm still ore or less just floating around in the first or second solar system i've ended up in as part of the tutorial and don't recall seeing a planet which has it. Also, is it possible to even see a list of the planets in the solar system and what materials they contain? From a bit of playing about it seems like i have to not only go into space (enough) but then point myself towards a visible planet in range to see what's on it after a scan.

I'd have expected there to be some map i can use to track that.

For modules, it might just be mis-reading it, but i bought an item from an upgrade vendor with nanites and then stuck it in a technology slot, but then it's got 0/2 or whatever for resources listed on it which made me think it needs to also be built first?

I feel like if i've gotta read a wiki to understand this game it's a not a good sign.

Unfortunately, yeah, you need to be in space and scan planets to see what materials they have. However, once you've landed on a planet and hopped out of your ship its resources will be viewable in the Discoveries tab for future reference (you can teleport between systems at the space station for free). Once you're over the initial grinding for resources phase the game opens up quickly, so don't worry.

As for the module, it sounds like you bought a blueprint, maybe? Blueprints need crafting materials to create and install. What you're looking for should be modules sold in the space station by the alien next to the weapon for sale (not the ones that on the planets or Nexus). It should simply be listed as a "Scanner Module", and should be able to be installed from your inventory without any necessary crafting.

Also, don't worry about feeling overwhelmed at first. Not a lot of the game is explained properly (or at all) in a lot of places. For instance, I spent over 100 hours not knowing how to switch between multi-tools before accidentally figuring it out, and there's still stupid poo poo I'm finding that I didn't know about :downs:

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

The exotic you posted is basically the top class of ship you can get. You *can* find another one (I have one of that type sitting in my freighter hanger), but it will probably take a while unless you follow coordinates posted by other players in order to to get to a crashed one to fix up. Unless you really hate it I would just keep it until you find one you like the looks of better because nothing is going to out perform that.

Thanks. Are all exotics the same stat-wise? I've found 3 so far...

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Hakarne posted:

Thanks. Are all exotics the same stat-wise? I've found 3 so far...

I'm actually not sure if all exotics have the same stats, but the second one I found seemed to have ones that were at least similar to the base of the first I picked up. One thing that seems generally agreed on though is that they outclass all other ships even if you upgrade them to S class.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
My problem with starships is that no Exotic can outstrip my Pre-order ship for storage capacity.

It's a C class fighter, limited to 25 storage slots, but it's technology panel looks like this -

:eyepop:

Technically a 48 slot hauler with additional 7 tech slots would be bigger than this, but as far as Exotics go, they're not in the same ballpark.

Which is a shame because I have this

And I want to use it more.

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Oct 17, 2020

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

just upgrade the ship that looks coolest to have all the slots

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Poniard posted:

just upgrade the ship that looks coolest to have all the slots

You can't. Max for an Exotic is 25+7. (which my green exotic is, and can't be upgraded higher, I tried) The preorder ship is a weird quirk that for some reason gets to be 25+21.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

AirRaid posted:

You can't. Max for an Exotic is 25+7. (which my green exotic is, and can't be upgraded higher, I tried) The preorder ship is a weird quirk that for some reason gets to be 25+21.

Huh? I’ve upgraded an exotic and an explorer to 48/21. I spent billions doing so.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

The upgrade options are greyed out when I try. Can't do it on either ship with cash or storage augment modules.

Could it be because they are legacy ships from a few patches back?

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

yeah my exotic i stopped at like 30+14 but it still lets me keep upgrading past that. it originally looked like the max was 25+7 until i hit those limits, and then the border just expanded

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Yeah, once you reach a lower inventory "limit" and try to add more, it expands the limit, up to 48.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

AirRaid posted:

The upgrade options are greyed out when I try. Can't do it on either ship with cash or storage augment modules.

Sounds more like a bug to me.

I had this one for 3+ years now, across multiple patches, but I still was able to extend the inventory to 48+21 slots. :shrug:

Speaking of ships, isn't it kind of weird how we're only allowed to own up to 6 ships when there are 9 free landing spots in our freighters? Hello Games, at least give us 8 ships if you want to reserve a free spot for incoming NPC ships! :argh:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

AirRaid posted:

Possibly, I started playing in origins and all my exotics are 48+21 :getin:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Libluini posted:

Speaking of ships, isn't it kind of weird how we're only allowed to own up to 6 ships when there are 9 free landing spots in our freighters? Hello Games, at least give us 8 ships if you want to reserve a free spot for incoming NPC ships! :argh:

3 for "max number of other people you can party with to land" but yeah, don't I wish

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

3 for "max number of other people you can party with to land" but yeah, don't I wish

Oh, that's the reason for that specific number! I keep forgetting multiplayer is a thing now. :v:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I just got to the quest where i get an overseer for my base, though am i right in thinking there's some base parts you can't reposition after placing? These terminals i've built are now just a permanent feature of this random hill next to my shack?

I figured out that i was mixing up the blueprints and upgrades so that's taken care of, but i'm struggling to find a hirable scientist for this next part of the quest. The teleporter map suggested one of the space stations as "highly likely" but when i got there, there wasn't one i could find.

Also, the guy that's rates milestones to give out nanites has stopped doing that ever since i went back and told him the Artermis guy was suck in whatever the hell he's stuck in. I just get the same dialog over and over again from him. Is that just some weird questpoint thing and i need to get the base stuff done with Apollo before he'll start giving me nanites again?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Kin posted:

I just got to the quest where i get an overseer for my base, though am i right in thinking there's some base parts you can't reposition after placing? These terminals i've built are now just a permanent feature of this random hill next to my shack?

No you can dismantle those, get your materials back, rebuild them anywhere else, and you are good to go. If the overseer or scientist or whoever is not at their new desk just interact with it to re-summon them.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
What’s the advantage of uranium over a stack of 20 launcher fuels? Almost every station sells them.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You can hold a lot more than 20 charges in a stack of uranium, and it only costs time. Plus it can be used as fuel for radiation protectors too

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Kin posted:

I figured out that i was mixing up the blueprints and upgrades so that's taken care of, but i'm struggling to find a hirable scientist for this next part of the quest. The teleporter map suggested one of the space stations as "highly likely" but when i got there, there wasn't one i could find.

Did you check the door to the right of the row of dudes selling various upgrades for nanites? Hireable NPCs often hang out back there.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Ended up finding him one floating about in the portal area.

Still no joy on moving my terminals though.

On things like the refinery I can press the right thumb stick to pick them, but I don't get that prompt for the terminals (or the advanced refinery I just built).

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Snack Bitch posted:

What’s the advantage of uranium over a stack of 20 launcher fuels? Almost every station sells them.
Use the Catalogue to find a uranium planet, use your your resource scanner to track down a mining spot once you're there. Set up a very small mining operation. Maybe 3 or 4 extractors with 5 to 7 storage tanks? Visit it tomorrow and then the next day if it was a C class deposit. Now you've got 9,999 uranium which is more launch fuel than you will need for the rest of the game. I got my uranium stack about 200 hours ago and can't get it below 9k because the game keeps tossing uranium at me. Part of that is early game launch fuel scarcity paranoia trained me to spend a few minutes scanning and exploring on foot whenever I land so the solar charger is half or completely filled by the time I take off again.

On the off chance you start to run out of uranium, you called your mining camp something obvious like Uranium Fever so it'll take all of 2 minutes to track it down in your base list, warp there, and get a free refill.

Kin posted:

Still no joy on moving my terminals though.

On things like the refinery I can press the right thumb stick to pick them, but I don't get that prompt for the terminals (or the advanced refinery I just built).
It's a little goofy, not everything is R-stick-able. That's generally stuff in the "portable" tab and you're not deleting those items you're picking them up again without turning them into base materials. You can delete the terminals (or the advanced refinery, or any wall or floor or just about anything, the game is very forgiving about this stuff). Doing so will delete the item and return the materials that you used to create them to you. You lose nothing. L-trigger, highlight the thing so it's reddish, R-trigger to delete. Get your mats back, build them elsewhere.

Hyperactive fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 17, 2020

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

You don't even need an extraction base for uranium, really. Just spend 10 minutes manually mining it up with the terrain manipulator and you'll have plenty.

Or just install the ship tech to auto refuel your launch jets and literally never refuel again unless you land and take off every five minutes.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Welp, now I have this large refinery out looks like money is no object anymore.

Seems like I can turn oxygen into chlorine and sell it for a fortune.

I was worried about trying to find oxygen, but now I've got cash I can buy heaps of it from the stores and traders.

Edit: it takes a while to refine one batch though. Guess you just build multiple refineries to speed up your resource operations right?

It also seems to be capping out at making just 4095 items at a time even though I've got more resources available. Is that normal?

Kin fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 17, 2020

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Launch fuel is not scarce though. Your ship can hold 500 uranium and at 40 per charge that’s only 12 vs a stack of 20 launch fuel. I got rid of all the launch tech on my ships to free up inventory space. Why have two pieces of tech and still need a stack of fuel.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Snack Bitch posted:

Launch fuel is not scarce though. Your ship can hold 500 uranium and at 40 per charge that’s only 12 vs a stack of 20 launch fuel. I got rid of all the launch tech on my ships to free up inventory space. Why have two pieces of tech and still need a stack of fuel.

I guess launch fuel makes sense if you're playing on survival / permadeath and have limited stack size. For normal mode where you can stack up to 9999 though, launch fuel is absolutely a waste of space.

Kin posted:

It also seems to be capping out at making just 4095 items at a time even though I've got more resources available. Is that normal?

Its a weird number, but it's normal.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Kin posted:

Yes. No clue why!

Snack Bitch posted:

Your ship can hold 500 uranium.
Uh.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Thundarr posted:

I guess launch fuel makes sense if you're playing on survival / permadeath and have limited stack size. For normal mode where you can stack up to 9999 though, launch fuel is absolutely a waste of space.

Its a weird number, but it's normal.

Whoa survival mode limits your stack size. I had no idea but that explains how y’all are moving 1 billion in activated iridium.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I'm not sure if it matters any more (apparently with my silly millions in cash i can indirectly farm nanites via loading savestates and trading in space stations), but Nada still wont do anthing but give me a single line of dialogue.

I've completed a whole bunch of milestones over the last few hours of playing, but i can't turn them in essentially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Kin posted:

I'm not sure if it matters any more (apparently with my silly millions in cash i can indirectly farm nanites via loading savestates and trading in space stations), but Nada still wont do anthing but give me a single line of dialogue.

I've completed a whole bunch of milestones over the last few hours of playing, but i can't turn them in essentially.
I was perplexed by this ages ago as well and if I recall correctly it's just that at some point the turn in for Milestones switches from Nada to (I think it's) Ares and I'm not sure that you're ever told when/why this happens. If you're facing the Nexus, go to the right, go past the Quicksilver vendor, go up the ramp, and then dead ahead to the dude with a brain showing through his invisible skull. I think he's the Milestone fellow you want to talk to from now on.