Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I wouldn't argue anything about SFV because I don't play it :smug:

Though I guess that's not a valid reason for not having an opinion on something I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I didn't realize this thread existed lol, anyone in here playing Gundam Maxiboost? I'd love to play with some goons.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

In Training posted:

Super stoked for rollback +R. I'm going to wind up playing nothing but 2k2 and AC in 2021 lol, thanks FG devs for finally paying attention to netcode

It's insane that they don't already have a title screen to show off where the title is changed to Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus Rollback

Krakhan
Oct 13, 2005

I see you.
This is definitely a time to give +R a try if you haven't before or another chance if you tried it and didn't bother because of the rightfully bad netcode before. I hope this can lead to a nice set of games for at least the end of the year.

Also, I can make people really hate Faust in this version if they don't already from other versions and Xrd.~

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Discord fighter.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I didn't realize this thread existed lol, anyone in here playing Gundam Maxiboost? I'd love to play with some goons.

i play it but my internet is fairly bad atm, rip to all i meet on the roads of online

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

darealkooky posted:

I would argue that the damage in SF5 is pretty low. it's true that there are specific things (medium punch into b&b, 1-2 CC's per character, anything into vtrigger cancel) that can do lots of damage. but basic stuff like pokes and anti airs only do like a 10th of the lifebar because you just hit them once and don't get a cool combo after it

it is brutally trivial to get meter in sfv

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

darealkooky posted:

I would argue that the damage in SF5 is pretty low. it's true that there are specific things (medium punch into b&b, 1-2 CC's per character, anything into vtrigger cancel) that can do lots of damage. but basic stuff like pokes and anti airs only do like a 10th of the lifebar because you just hit them once and don't get a cool combo after it

This would matter a lot of SF5 were a game of slowly poking at the opponent from a safe range, or fishing for jumps so you can AA into a combo, but it's really not. The specific things that do lots of damage make up 90% of the game, which is why the game as a whole has high damage IMO.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

RBA Starblade posted:

I’ve been playing tons of it ever since it came out it’s the best fighting game this year

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

mango sentinel posted:

Ralf's C+D, j.D, and j.C+D are too good and fun to limit yourself to just C.

Its not just C its also cr.C

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RevolverDivider posted:

I’ve been playing tons of it ever since it came out it’s the best fighting game this year

Speaking of, the stream I mentioned earlier happened.

Kabakali, Phenex, Flauros, and Star Build Strike announced for the new revision coming to arcades. No info on DLC for Maxiboost on PS4.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

quote:

a game of slowly poking at the opponent from a safe range

That reminds me I really need to play more Samsho

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Endorph posted:

i play it but my internet is fairly bad atm, rip to all i meet on the roads of online

Rip and good luck surviving the wifi purge, I am tend to keep auto boot settings lower because I'm not a poo poo about it but everyone else sure is

Who do you two play as? I've been messing around with GunEZ, Baund Doc (this guy really sucks lol), but I'm really liking doing fighter jet strafing runs with Hambrabi. Mobile armor mode really breaks a lot of brains dealing with it. I tried Full Saber for a big boy suit but couldn't get a good feel for it.

Pm mw your usernames if you want to play later

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 17, 2020

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Endorph posted:

https://twitter.com/IGNJapan/status/1316973378293669888

yeah the new phantom breaker looks way better just going off the fact that this clip seems like the game is actually fairly fast this time

I had no idea there was a fighting game with steins gate characters

Incredible

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Blockhouse posted:

I had no idea there was a fighting game with steins gate characters

Incredible

Same publisher as the Science Adventure series, so for funzies it has a character from Steins;Gate and one from Chaos;Head. Battlegrounds has one from Robotics;Notes too

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I've been really digging KoF 2k2. I had a nice long set with someone who was insanely good and could trounce me with any team, but it was still fun to learn my chars. I've never really played KoF before but I like the pace of it. I'm working with a team of Andy, Robert, and Mature right now. I have no idea what makes a good team but those 3 felt fun in practice mode and didn't seem like terribly complicated chars. It's overwhelming to learn 3 chars at once but it keeps things really fresh. Every now and then the person I was playing against would pick one of my 3 and it was cool to see how they're "supposed" to be played.

Our ping was like 150 but it felt perfect! I couldn't tell I was playing online. I really appreciate KoF2k2's efficiency for getting online. I can see exactly how many players are online and waiting, then I hit one button and I'm matched with someone. EZPZ. I think having a small pool of players is not a problem as long as it's easy to get into a match with one of them.

I really love Xrd but the online play is so annoying, even if you don't consider netcode. I have a baby so I can get interrupted at any minute, so it's not convenient for me to find someone on discord to set up matches with. Then if you go into the lobbies, you have to either take turns at a cab (blegh) or sit at an empty cab and pray that someone else comes in to play. This is partly why I'm looking forward to the rollback update to AC+R - that game has simple and efficient matchmaking like KoF2k2. I play Zato in Xrd but am thinking of trying someone new in AC+R - Anji looks pretty cool.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

RBA Starblade posted:

Rip and good luck surviving the wifi purge, I am tend to keep auto boot settings lower because I'm not a poo poo about it but everyone else sure is

Who do you two play as? I've been messing around with GunEZ, Baund Doc (this guy really sucks lol), but I'm really liking doing fighter jet strafing runs with Hambrabi. Mobile armor mode really breaks a lot of brains dealing with it. I tried Full Saber for a big boy suit but couldn't get a good feel for it.

Pm mw your usernames if you want to play later

I’m a wifi warrior so I’ve been purged from a bunch of rooms but I’m still getting games at least. Hambrabi rules and I’ve been messing around a bunch with it. I play ZZ normal, Hyaku Shiki, Legend, Providence, Delta Plus, Barbatos normal, Qant, 00 Raiser, FAZZ. I mess around with a bunch of other suits but I feel most comfortable with all of those. PSN is RevolverChicken7

Gun EZ is a pretty decent suit. I don’t like most 1.5ks but it’s got a decent toolbox and fits into most teams.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah the frustrating part of sfv is you do gently caress all stuttering around in the bad rollback until a lucky random crush counter lands and you win/lose the round from there

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RevolverDivider posted:

I’m a wifi warrior so I’ve been purged from a bunch of rooms but I’m still getting games at least. Hambrabi rules and I’ve been messing around a bunch with it. I play ZZ normal, Hyaku Shiki, Legend, Providence, Delta Plus, Barbatos normal, Qant, 00 Raiser, FAZZ. I mess around with a bunch of other suits but I feel most comfortable with all of those. PSN is RevolverChicken7

Gun EZ is a pretty decent suit. I don’t like most 1.5ks but it’s got a decent toolbox and fits into most teams.

FAZZ is a bastard man and I hate that I inevitably fly or sidestep into each and every laser it vomits out

I'll add you next time I'm on!

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Finally played Battle for the grid and oh my God it's exactly what I've been for.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I play a lot of Barbatos Lupus and Arche. Generally any melee suit with funky movement options is my speed.

I also really like the GN-X even though its kind of a joke character.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

FAZZ is a huge fucker until you’re used to fighting it as it can cheese the poo poo out of you with gerobis and super armor. It’s extremely slow and vulnerable at medium range if the armor is on and while it’s decently mobile it’s pretty bad for a 3k with armor off. It can still always steal games though just by how much damage it can do if you stop looking at it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I missed the Cags trailer because I was out of the room but Yuel is the 3rd character for GBVS S2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LMZ9iB587E&t=28s

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Oct 18, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

granblue is now officially a fighting game with two trans characters in it, and im all for it

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Endorph posted:

granblue is now officially a fighting game with two trans characters in it, and im all for it

I like that season 2 so far is the horniest man to ever exist, the supertrans alchemist and a huge lesbian foxgirl

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I like that season 2 so far is the horniest man to ever exist, the supertrans alchemist and a huge lesbian foxgirl

I know nothing about Granblue outside of what I've seen of GBFV, but it seems to have a pretty good amount of diversity to the cast

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Why does the framerate of Granblue seem to nosedive randomly, like when it introduces Yuel its either the worst frame drop I've ever seen, a terrible animation, or an aesthetic choice that just does it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

That doesn't happen in actual gameplay whatsoever so it's probably either slowed down for the trailer or her animations aren't complete.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

it's slowed down due to the awful netcode LOL

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
its not the framerate its how its animated. we've seen this style for like half a decade now.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Barudak posted:

Why does the framerate of Granblue seem to nosedive randomly, like when it introduces Yuel its either the worst frame drop I've ever seen, a terrible animation, or an aesthetic choice that just does it.

To preserve the 2d-ness of the xrd-style graphics characters have to animate at a lower framerate. That one's a classic by now. However, it's a little deeper: your character animates (ie changes poses) at a lower framerate but moves (ie changes on-screen position) at 60fps still. That's standard for sprites. Like, when you jump in SF2, Ryu's full jump has 5 frames in its animation but still describes a perfect 60fps parabola. This works because to your brain it's just "cels" sliding on top of each other.

But if your camera moves cinematically instead of just sliding on a plane it falls apart because the character isn't moving like a sprite in those, it's switching poses for everything, so you get mad stroboscopes effects with the impression the character's going back and forth on the screen. The first approach they attempted is the one you see in Xrd, DBFZ and Granblue: the camera moves at the framerate at which the cinematic models change pose. It's jarring and looks like framedrops, but is in truth nowhere as bad as the stroboscope. The new, better approach seen in Strive (but probably seen by the world at large in Spiderverse) is to really go the full length treating cinematic characters as cels laid over a 3D background. That means the background has a 60fps camera while the models have their own camera which only changes position when they need it to, at their own rate. So when Sol and Ky grab their swords in the first Strive trailer, the backgorund's moving at 60fps (well, 30 on youtube) while the characters are moving at 15fps. If you look at it in slow motion you can see their feet are not moving along with the ground and all but it's all fine.

That new approach can look stroboscopic too if the camera's moving around too much and of course it's moving around too much in Strive, to show off the cool effect, but eh, they'll probably gain some restraint with experience.

Chev fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Oct 18, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Unironic deep thanks for explaining why that looks so bad, this thread rules.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

I missed the Cags trailer because I was out of the room but Yuel is the 3rd character for GBVS S2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LMZ9iB587E&t=28s

Just to add to this, a translation of their movelist
https://twitter.com/granblue_en/status/1317752285548564483

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

her SSBA is hilarious

let's all become cags, sorta

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I know nothing about cags but her trailer she seems smug which is my least favorite trait for a character in a fighting game so can I pass?

Is Granblue dead/requires 100+ USD to have the characters?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Yes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cags is a trans alchemist whose goal in life is to make magic hrt. Shes also a bit evil.

Granblue is as dead as all other fighting games without rollback rn. Theres two season passes so yes if you count the base game.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
tekken is popping baby

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
tk7 doesn't need rollback because tk7 is 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hace posted:

tekken is popping baby

I am a spoiled baby and don't plan to go back to Tekken 7 until I get my next generation console because I need something, anything to make the loadtimes less horrible.