Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

SmokaDustbowl posted:

raised by wolves looked really good but other than that I knew it was gonna be stupid as soon as that kid mr magooed into that hole

they played all their cards in the first 3 or 4 episodes

turns out that kid did not mr magoo at all. instead, the future spirits guided her to season 2

the ghost is totally her alive but virtual or something equally stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Slippery Tilde

Carthag Tuek posted:

sorry i got a lil off track lol its fine to call a weather thing "a storm front"

my poo poo brain has these minimal critria for a nazi name:

- germanic synthesis of words
- the word storm
- the word front
- the superhero concept

saying in a german way "busterminal" isnt nazi, even though it is two english words combined in the germanic way. e: gently caress theers a homelander. forget about the fake list up there, just its:

"all superhero is nazi"

im drunSorry!

oh sorry, thought it was a non-native english language thing i wasn't getting, my bad

yeah that kinda thing isn't super obvious to american audiences, that's what makes the whole stormfront -> lightning powers joke work, they're winking at everyone who isn't already familiar with the neonazi internet and/or their SPLC warnings here, at least, at first

and yeah, people are quite ignorant about that kinda thing/imagery here, they even got president dumbass and apparently all of his available staff with it recently

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Carthag Tuek posted:

turns out that kid did not mr magoo at all. instead, the future spirits guided her to season 2

the ghost is totally her alive but virtual or something equally stupid

thanks, this is all i need to know to avoid that dumb poo poo

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

idk who mentioned it but The Mentalist was great and I'm pretty sure everyone was in on the joke and they just threw the ending out because they were tired and had to wrap it up somehow

I think maybe 10% of episodes actually related to the overarching plot and the rest were just jokes

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

also I just remembered that Star Trek Discovery had "breath authentication" on a door as a plot point in an early episode

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

idk who mentioned it but The Mentalist was great and I'm pretty sure everyone was in on the joke and they just threw the ending out because they were tired and had to wrap it up somehow

I think maybe 10% of episodes actually related to the overarching plot and the rest were just jokes
say what you will, but the mentalist answered the question “what network tv show is the most mental?”

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol every time

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

SmokaDustbowl posted:

people should emulate paulie's hair because that poo poo is amazing and punk as gently caress
i’m finally watching sopranos for the first time (just finishing up s1) and paulie, silvio and tony’s mom livia are my favoritest characters

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol every time

lmao I don't think I've seen that episode

Simon Baker always just looks like he's having so much fun. I also highly appreciate the solidly maintained stoicism of kimbal "the raging Asian" cho who doesn't change expression for 7 solid seasons

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Also sci fi adjacent: I started playing Disco Ellysium again as I only played all the way through once (possibly as the Mentalist aka psychic cop) and within 10 minutes I've punched a child in the face and laughed out loud because I didn't think that was what that dialogue option did

who's the bitch now Cuno?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

also I just remembered that Star Trek Discovery had "breath authentication" on a door as a plot point in an early episode
as did alien resurrection

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Yeah, and Community. In Community it was rightly presented as a joke.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Chris Knight posted:

as did alien resurrection

I'm sorry, what did?

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
of course Community also pre-empted the Black Mirror "everyone gets a 1-5 star rating for every interaction, and that determines your position in the social hierarchy" episode

man community was great

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

ol qwerty bastard posted:

of course Community also pre-empted the Black Mirror "everyone gets a 1-5 star rating for every interaction, and that determines your position in the social hierarchy" episode

man community was great
meowmeowbeanz!

community’s first few eps were pretty brutal iirc. did not pass the 3 episode test

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
I was one of those kids who liked Starship Troopers at face value, and only found out years later how dumb I am. In response I now don't trust any media because it might be the most scathing piss-take in a generation.

That said, Light Brigade reminded me of Starship Troopers and I liked it at face value.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
i just read Showboat World which was a delightful Vancian romp as they say. his books are always so enjoyable to read.

also it had a hilariously misleading cover, considering the whole story takes place on a planet with no advanced technology and no aliens:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I also highly appreciate the solidly maintained stoicism of kimbal "the raging Asian" cho who doesn't change expression for 7 solid seasons

I had to go cap this scene where he stonefaces a nazi to psych him out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oyhjRILjng

:geno: heil hitler

Action Jacktion posted:

i just read Showboat World which was a delightful Vancian romp as they say. his books are always so enjoyable to read.

also it had a hilariously misleading cover, considering the whole story takes place on a planet with no advanced technology and no aliens:

Vance is my absolute comfort food writing, I can't count the number of times I have read the Planet of Adventure or the Demon Princes series.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

TimWinter posted:

I was one of those kids who liked Starship Troopers at face value, and only found out years later how dumb I am. In response I now don't trust any media because it might be the most scathing piss-take in a generation.

That said, Light Brigade reminded me of Starship Troopers and I liked it at face value.

tbf the number of contemporary reviewers who missed it is pretty high

an easy mistake to make given that it’s 90%+ similar to avg space sci fi shoot em up

doogie swaggering out at the end in full ss gear shoulda been a tell tho

there were some p great missing the point .plans from id from the quake 2 era complaining about why they didn’t they just nuke them from orbit

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Also sci fi adjacent: I started playing Disco Ellysium again as I only played all the way through once (possibly as the Mentalist aka psychic cop) and within 10 minutes I've punched a child in the face and laughed out loud because I didn't think that was what that dialogue option did

who's the bitch now Cuno?

was that wrong?

should I not have done that?

no it is the children

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

If you're new to Vance the PoA and tDP series are absolutely your first *ahem* Port of Call, if you have read a bunch of his stuff I would also recommend the essay 'Demon Prince: The Dissonant Worlds of Jack Vance' as it has a lot of good insights into his work.

There's a Gbooks preview but the actual book is only in paper print - which I have a copy of somewhere - as far as I've found so far (if anyone has a private site with rare books on have a search pls, its not on Usenet or Mobilism):

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=0s4DiakfSjEC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

I also just found this:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=2UPUAAAAQBAJ&lpg=PA193&ots=KoeLZyTbch&dq=Lop%20Loiqua&pg=PA163#v=onepage&q&f=false

The first few pages of the chapter on "The Art of Xenography: Jack Vance's “General Culture” Novels" are missing from the preview but the full book is on Amazon for just a few quid:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00F5N4NHI

so I have that to read this weekend.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
warhamnime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDEDcE9Z430

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
vance is one of the three sf/fantasy writers whose work rates as literature (wolfe and leguin are the other two)

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Last night I finished Adrian Tchaikovsky's Redemption's Blade, the first in the 'After the War' series and it gave me some Vance feelings; the hero character making a winding travel with a set of dissimilar companions, each stop on the journey having to deal with a new set of people and rules, and them being helped by a pair of Magical Artefact hunters was especially JV.

I enjoyed it well enough though it was lighter going than AT's scifi stuff (which I thought was excellent on the whole), but I thought to buy book two to see where the story goes next. Wasn't until I pressed buy that I noticed that book two in the series is actually written by a different author!? Ok, well I hope they do a good job.

edit: actually thinking back I also got a Vance Vibe from AT's 'Cage of Souls' which was very 'Dying Earth', so I'm guessing he read a lot of Vance in his youth.

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 17, 2020

matti
Mar 31, 2019

got to say im unable like 40k things anymore cos lot of the fans are little too into the authoritarian aspect of it

like gently caress shadeboner had a loving ss officer stand-in as their avatar for ageeees

not judging or mad, it just irks me privately. orks are good still (little judging)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Slippery Tilde
i have orks at home, they're real fun to put together and they're like the last faction that still doesn't take itself seriously

though i had given up on 40k way before the pandemic. started collecting infinity because the models are much much better sculpted and the game is tighter

lol at giving gw money

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i have orks at home, they're real fun to put together and they're like the last faction that still doesn't take itself seriously

though i had given up on 40k way before the pandemic. started collecting infinity because the models are much much better sculpted and the game is tighter

lol at giving gw money

Tag urself.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Mods, namechange to "Kum Enforcer Zuleyka Nazarova", do the needful &c. &c.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

was that wrong?

should I not have done that?

no it is the children

Kitsuragi is just jealous because he can't substantiate these thoughts into the *real* like me

edit: I put all my points in empathy and physical power/muscles so we'll see how well this goes!

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 17, 2020

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol at giving gw money

infinity is the embarrassing anime wargame lol

but also yeah don't give gw money

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Slippery Tilde

Improbable Lobster posted:

infinity is the embarrassing anime wargame lol

yeah it's got some embarrassing stuff in it like one faction has furries lol

it's a spanish company though, i'd say it's more futurist-cyberpunk rather than anime-leaning really, though there is some of that too

i like the space muslims

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

FMguru posted:

vance is one of the three sf/fantasy writers whose work rates as literature (wolfe and leguin are the other two)

Vonnegut

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i've never really thought of vonnegut as a science fiction author but yeah ok

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I bought enough Infinity figures to have battles but then I never put them together

one of the factions was haqqislam, I don't remember the other one and don't wanna dig them out to find out

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

rotor posted:

only in as much as margaret atwood isn't a science fiction author

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yeah it's got some embarrassing stuff in it like one faction has furries lol

it's a spanish company though, i'd say it's more futurist-cyberpunk rather than anime-leaning really, though there is some of that too

i like the space muslims

some of their models are pretty rad but i mostly buy models for building and painting and infinity's aesthetic doesn't interest me in that way

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

rotor posted:

well at least ive read some interesting stuff about kilgore trout just now

fair to say vonnegut is not a genre author per se though

my conclusion: he is the fargo s2/3 of authors in that he was very very good and also there is a pulp sci fi writer and probably aliens in there

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

vonnegut is one of those authors that makes you remember that when it's well-written it's just called "fiction" even when aliens and poo poo are involved (less true in 2020 but still)

this reminds me- is Ursula leguin actually good at writing? like on the spectrum of [heinlein, Asimov, mieville, banks-jemisin, bradbury*], where does she fall?

*ok yes there's a huge gap between banks/Jemisin and Bradbury, cut me some slack and also recommend me authors who go in the gap

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Oct 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Octavia Butler goes in that gap I think