Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Wonder if the Guandu expansion will add chariots to 3k. That'd be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Eimi posted:

It's been a while since I played something like S2, but my big problem with the modern games is it's nothing but siege battles and way too few field battles. It sucks. Instead of any walled city map let me just fight a battle in front of the walls with it as a cool backdrop and they get their full garrison....

You can do that though; wait them out rather than assaulting and it forces a sortie. The only sieges you have to fight are defenses and the ones you want to blitz before their reinforcements arrive, both of which can usually be rare if you plan for it.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Koramei posted:

You can do that though; wait them out rather than assaulting and it forces a sortie. The only sieges you have to fight are defenses and the ones you want to blitz before their reinforcements arrive, both of which can usually be rare if you plan for it.

I've only seen that happen in 3K, in War2 or Troy the ai will passively let me attrition them to death. Also you know this wastes like 4-5 turns, instead of just auto resolving with two armies because gently caress sieges.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Yeah it does waste some time for sure; I tend to play pretty slow so I guess it doesn't bother me as much as it does for some people. How long it takes depends on the game a bit though I feel like, for a lot of them you only ever have to wait like 2 turns at most, as long as the odds aren't so completely lopsided that you should just be autoresolving anyway.

And huh that's a shame if it doesn't work in the Warhammer engine games. It definitely works for every other title since Shogun 2 though, I do it in all of them.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Waiting for sorties while besieging is very bad play (way too slow) on difficulties above normal. You will fall behind badly.

Basically need to be on a near permanent blitzkrieg average taking a settlement every second turn or so on very hard/legendary

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I play exclusively on very hard so, hard disagree. Maybe on a Shogun 2 short campaign, but otherwise you have more than enough time.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
The #1 difficulty that people run into in these games is getting bogged down in hellwars with their neighbor before having secured a strong economic base. The underlying reason for getting stuck in such a position is simply not expanding fast enough from not taking settlements on that 2-3 turn cadence.

There are a few exceptions though e.g. the economic or diplomatic factions in 3K, dwarfs in W2 & other factions with alternate victory conditions.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 4, 2020

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I mean when you're a new player still learning how to deal with things like that, it's probably best to not be playing on very hard or legendary.

I'm not gonna argue that waiting for sorties is optimal play; if you're powergaming then yes it's definitely better to be pressing on constantly. But you absolutely don't have to be in order to succeed, even on legendary, unless you're in one of the handful of titles with a really constrained time limit. It's like in EU4 or something; yeah there are optimal moves you should be making if you're aiming for a world conquest for some reason, but you don't at all need to be doing them most of the time to secure a "win" in the game.

fe: Thinking about this a bit more this is also a bit sideways from the original point; I guess this varies person to person, but imo the times you really "need" to be steamrolling ahead to secure yourself an economic base are usually only for the first like, 20 turns anyway, during which time the siege battles are probably not so tedious. It gets boring when it's siege after siege after siege, i.e. the point you've basically won anyway, during which time you have plenty of leeway to wait for sorties.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I wait for sorties all the time in 3k because it’s like 2 turns max before the garrison starves. In wh2, for normal factions, it’s like 9 turns before they starve. Waiting for that usually not tenable.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

3k AI is willing to fight an equally sized force which makes a huge difference compared to warhammer or atilla

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

yikes! posted:

I wait for sorties all the time in 3k because it’s like 2 turns max before the garrison starves. In wh2, for normal factions, it’s like 9 turns before they starve. Waiting for that usually not tenable.

Fond memories of FOTS as Sendai. 1 turn before they starve.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

i keep trying to get ma teng killed but this guy is immortal

running him into the enemy lines and dismounting him, he takes out two whole squads and then flees on foot and gets away, the enemy doesn't seem to care. Do they know my plan?!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

It usually takes me like 8 fights in a row to kill off Teng. He's a fucker, one campaign he took over two territories before dying.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Yea playing as Ma Teng makes me want a mod that allows you to off your current faction leader.

Gimme Ma Chao

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I do appreciate the Sun Jian dies event when combined with mods that make Zheng Jiang and Lu Zheng join your faction. It's like hey, I can still play as Zheng Jiang (with a much better mechanic than infamy) as a Han faction now too and not just bandit. :v:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

VietCampo posted:

Yea playing as Ma Teng makes me want a mod that allows you to off your current faction leader.

Gimme Ma Chao

ma chao was a stupid loser who got clowned on by everyone, why would you want to play as him

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Communist Thoughts posted:

3k AI is willing to fight an equally sized force which makes a huge difference compared to warhammer or atilla

yea this is legit the best part of 3k. its sounds like a small change, and it certainly won't make any bullet point list of BIG FEATURES in the new Total War title, but holy poo poo it's great to have more field battles and I'm glad they did it.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 10, 2020

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Basically every forum besides here for TW (or paradox games) has this contingent longing for a mythological golden age where these games were super deep realistic history simulations and not “hahaha urban cohorts go brrrr”

On TWC, that each new game was the worst in the series, compared to the previous entry, which was perfect. When Rome came out, it was trash compared to Medieval; when Medieval 2 came out, it couldn't compare to the brilliance of Rome; when Empire came out, obviously Medieval 2 was the peak of Total War; Shogun 2 was badly dumbed down compared to Empire/Napoleon, and when Rome 2 came out, Shogun 2 represented the best of the series.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

BBJoey posted:

when Empire came out, obviously Medieval 2 was the peak of Total War;

Well...

Anyway, speaking of, what made the pre-Empire games so much more moddable on the campaign level?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Arbite posted:

Well...

Anyway, speaking of, what made the pre-Empire games so much more moddable on the campaign level?

Pre-Empire world maps were built before CA incorporated 3rd party middleware software in their tool kit. Now that CA uses those 3rd party software licenses in the building of the world maps they can't release their internal tools as part of the mod kit.

In 3k news I just learned that Repeating Crossbowmen are incredible vs generals, even beefy generals like Lu Bu. Maybe I'm the last person in the world to figure this out, but I thought because archers are trash vs generals that meant that all ranged units vs general sucked. I was very wrong, if you just have 2 repeating crossbows they can nuke Lu Bu's HP to half before he hits your lines.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 10, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I actually would say it’s fair to call Medieval 2 and Shogun 2 FotS the peaks of their eras of total war. Not in terms of historical era but like, in terms of the series. I guess it’s kinda arbitrary but I mentally divide it into the risk map games, the early 3D games, the gunpowder games, and then Rome 2-present. Rome 2’s formula being basically how the games still operate. I personally can’t stand to go back but I can see why someone would prefer the mechanics of one of the earlier iterations.

Also, while opining about total war I think while everyone can pick and choose mechanics from each game they prefer (Like limited amounts of stacks vs individual units running around), I think it’s pretty clear CA has hit upon a winning formula that’s mainly held back by the AI. Most complaints end up boiling down to the AI being either too easy or too tedious to fight.

No one I’ve seen is really able to make a decent video game AI for stuff with more moving parts than chess though, so that’s not a specific criticism of CA.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

someone good with money please help me, my empire is dying
(annexing liu bei at the height of his expansion)

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Disband some of those armies, and if you've just annexed Liu Bei start ripping down redundant buildings and optimising provinces.

Also if your public order is okay, turn up those tax rates.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Oh lol I know, I usually start by firing all of the extra officers and disbanding armies. Positive 7k just by doing that

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

As Nanman I'm running out of Nanman generals. I have half of China under my rule, and as characters drop from old age I can't get any replacements. I go by replacing them with captured generals, and that should work until I get the last capital of enemy kingdom. Is it something I've overlooked?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

alex314 posted:

As Nanman I'm running out of Nanman generals. I have half of China under my rule, and as characters drop from old age I can't get any replacements. I go by replacing them with captured generals, and that should work until I get the last capital of enemy kingdom. Is it something I've overlooked?

You can use the new Arrange Marriage option in the family tree to marry your generals with a fresh officer. Costs 4000 but it's basically buy-a-general.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Hopping back into Rome 2 for a bit after only playing it year of release.

Checking out DEI and are there any tips? I've only tried playing as the one province scotland faction but i can't do poo poo because everyone else around me already declared war and i can't even go on an offensive without some other stack showing up on my shores.

also gently caress agent spam, my castle has 8 agents outside of it lmao

VietCampo fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 16, 2020

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Been playing some Three Kingdoms again, and it's funny to me how even after all their buffs, yellow cav and commanders still seem to suck? At least from what I've seen. It's weird because Grail Guardians, the premier warhams melee cav are incredible, but even Imperial Sword guard don't seem particularly tanky and they sure aren't killy. Jade Dragons, despite their lower stats, seem to do their job much better, both in melee and being able to charge. As for the commanders themselves, while I noticed they moved more army buffs to them, they still lack the movement range buff making vanguards and champions the guys I want leading the stack still, and they are no better on the battlefield, all of mine routinely get dumpstered except for Sun Quan for some reason, he's been able to win every duel so far.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I did like that yellow commanders got formations. So they are just another option besides blue.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.
Is there a mod out there to give yellow commanders siege weapons? Might be OP but it'd be nice to have an excuse to take them.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Third World Reagan posted:

I did like that yellow commanders got formations. So they are just another option besides blue.

Maybe if they were the only ones to get siege weapons, but ranged are so good in this game I cannot imagine an army without a scholar.

KnightRider
Jan 7, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

VietCampo posted:

Hopping back into Rome 2 for a bit after only playing it year of release.

Checking out DEI and are there any tips? I've only tried playing as the one province scotland faction but i can't do poo poo because everyone else around me already declared war and i can't even go on an offensive without some other stack showing up on my shores.

also gently caress agent spam, my castle has 8 agents outside of it lmao

Dei is tough especially when you start out as a small nation. You pretty much have to get insanely lucky with expanding and hope that every nearby faction doesnt aggro you immediately. My best games were playing as egypt, the seleucids, and rome because of the terrain chokepoints and once you hit 3-4 provinces and get dignitaries you get more breathing room. Also research should always be dignataries, champions, and then fountains/level 4 buildings

KnightRider fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 16, 2020

KnightRider
Jan 7, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Ive tried to get so many playthroughs going of pergamon and parthia/armenia, but each one village faction can have 3 whole stacks while you struggle to upkeep half a army with 2 whole provinces. Sometimes it feels like the ai is trying to get the "this is total war" achievement. And good luck going against the galatians.

KnightRider
Jan 7, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Also rush fountain research and spec your dignitaries out for empire maintenance. Theres a DEI discord, look for the link on their site, im not sure about the rules on posting discord links here; But they are really cool people who will answer anyones question, anytime. Its really amazing what they did to Rome 2. They totally turned the game around.

KnightRider fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 16, 2020

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

ACValiant posted:

Is there a mod out there to give yellow commanders siege weapons? Might be OP but it'd be nice to have an excuse to take them.
I would love this, its slightly offset by them not having Flaming Shot by Trebuchet or only one of them could get it via the title promotion.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Flipswitch posted:

I would love this, its slightly offset by them not having Flaming Shot by Trebuchet or only one of them could get it via the title promotion.

Is flaming shot on trebs even good for more than burning towers? Whenever I turn it on their kill count is lower. Or is it like Warhammer where explosion damage kills don't show up for ~reasons~?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I'm honestly not sure. I just turn it on unless I'm firing at walls because morale damage is always good.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

In divide et impera rushing is a good strat a lot of times. Really fun as Macedonia.
The Scotland start is hard though.

Basically turn 1 get within range of their city, raise as many mercs and soldiers as you can.
Turn 2 raise any refreshed mercs and attack their city, either take it if you can or encircle it and wait for them to attack (DeI AI is aggressive) if you can't.
Then repeat and snowball until you are satisfied or defeated.

Building priority is the military one (unless you get decent core units already, but barbarians don't) then food and PO.
Try to build food buildings in settlements without a resource and build resource buildings in those.
ultimately you want your capital to have public order, growth, sanitation buildings and one or two military buildings. then i like to focus my minors entirely on cash money and food

Each settlement you get try to raise a general and put him on his own in there, they boost PO and earn exp. The orange line of skills is extremely strong for PO and income. I like to have one of these guys training for war though cause they earn exp fast.
Your military general should patrol stance in the mean time for even more PO. Getting to 100 gives you a giant growth boost.

Elephants are fantastically OP at the moment so head for Libya if you get the chance.

I would recommend the alternate phalanx and hoplites mod. I really like the default formations but the AI can't use them and their battle line will end up pathfinding at right angles through yours and its really annoying.

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 17, 2020

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Eimi posted:

Is flaming shot on trebs even good for more than burning towers? Whenever I turn it on their kill count is lower. Or is it like Warhammer where explosion damage kills don't show up for ~reasons~?

I'm not 100% certain for 3k, but in every other TW turning on fire arrows/ammunition would typically reduce the fire rate and sometimes shift damage away from AP and into base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I think it debuffs the ap damage for burst damage and a morale debuff.