Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Pollyanna posted:

In the most recent chapter of Kimi no Sei, daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayum

Man, this is a pretty good series so far. Also, I feel you, Iori :smith:

AAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I checked the manga out because of this post. At first I was like "Oh another gender-bending story with the barest excuse for why the characters change, BORING" but I stuck with it and suddenly actual trans and gnc characters, including the very first depiction of a trans man wearing his binder that I've seen in a manga. I'm actually impressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Mikl posted:

I checked the manga out because of this post. At first I was like "Oh another gender-bending story with the barest excuse for why the characters change, BORING" but I stuck with it and suddenly actual trans and gnc characters, including the very first depiction of a trans man wearing his binder that I've seen in a manga. I'm actually impressed.

Yup! Same deal with me, I was like "oh another one of these" and then it turned out to be a very legit vehicle for LGBT themes and characters. It's actually done well-enough.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

welp, ya'll convinced me to give it a go

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i love this tall girl, she's gay

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So uh, I'm sorry for kinda being cagey about the issue and stuff but is there a decent, non-public place to ask questions wrt a handful of potential lgbt issues? idk, I'm kinda split in a lot of ways and don't exactly know where the proper places to even start asking are

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

So uh, I'm sorry for kinda being cagey about the issue and stuff but is there a decent, non-public place to ask questions wrt a handful of potential lgbt issues? idk, I'm kinda split in a lot of ways and don't exactly know where the proper places to even start asking are

How non-public do you want? There are gay and trans threads in the BYOB chat crew subforum, and they have associated private Discord servers if you can find someone to vouch for you and invite you.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

i would start by PMing an IK of one of the lgbt threads, they might be able to answer your questions directly or point you to somewhere private/where you can anonymize yourself that can

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Yeah, the LGBT chat thread discords are gonna be your best bet for relevant private discords. My PMs are open as well, and I'm available on discord as bees#0001 if it's something related to either trans issues or bisexuality or you just want a willing ear.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I'm sorry for branching off from that important discussion, but:
Does anyone have any suggestions for good series with a BL/mlm bent to check out? (Trans men too, but considering how rarely they're represented I'd be surprised to see a series with them.)

It's a space I've only recently started looking into again, so I'm still a bit unsure where to really look. Especially since visibility heaaaavily skews towards newer series.
I've quite enjoyed Ao no Flag, Living with Him, Shimanami Tasogare, Bokura no Shokutaku, Here u Are, Starting with a Lie(veeery pretty artwork in that one, love the watercolour-y aesthetic.) and a couple others I can't remember off the top of my head.
https://mangadex.org/title/21565/ao-no-flag https://mangadex.org/title/35130/living-with-him https://mangadex.org/title/15976/shimanami-tasogare
https://mangadex.org/title/20689/bokura-no-shokutaku https://mangadex.org/title/24225/here-u-are https://mangadex.org/title/36226/starting-with-a-lie

And while slice of life and romance are fine and dandy on their own, it would be neat if there are some series out there that lie more in fantasy, scifi, etc.
If anyone has some good stuff that -isn't- highschool oriented then that's great, since it feels like the 'awkward highschoolers' setting is basically the default setting.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Oh boy is there the thread for you! This thread by the wonderful Everything Burrito has a wonderful number of BL series: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3914721

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Oh boy is there the thread for you! This thread by the wonderful Everything Burrito has a wonderful number of BL series: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3914721

Ah poo poo, sorry.
I haven't been to ADTRW much so I hadn't noticed that thread, sorry for making GBS threads up this one then.
I guess the regular talk about GL/Yuri etc series here made me think this was a catchall thread.

Thanks!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Talking about bl in this one isnt really making GBS threads it up lol, this is a catchall one, theres just also a bl thread

Like how theres a general shonen thread but we have a bleach thread, a one piece thread, etc too, even though those come up in the shonen thread some as well

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Burrito is just a generally kind of fantastic source of recommendations though and I've never been let down by anything that she gave me

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Endorph posted:

Talking about bl in this one isnt really making GBS threads it up lol, this is a catchall one, theres just also a bl thread

Like how theres a general shonen thread but we have a bleach thread, a one piece thread, etc too, even though those come up in the shonen thread some as well

:emptyquote: :)

e: poo poo ^^^ that too

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I was thinking more about me just stomping right in and derailing the current conversation for my own BL oriented gains.
Glad to hear I wasn't stepping on too many toes though.

But yeah, Burrito has already given me some great suggestions, so it's already going well! :toot:

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

SubNat posted:

I'm sorry for branching off from that important discussion, but:
Does anyone have any suggestions for good series with a BL/mlm bent to check out? (Trans men too, but considering how rarely they're represented I'd be surprised to see a series with them.)

(...)

And while slice of life and romance are fine and dandy on their own, it would be neat if there are some series out there that lie more in fantasy, scifi, etc.
If anyone has some good stuff that -isn't- highschool oriented then that's great, since it feels like the 'awkward highschoolers' setting is basically the default setting.

Based on that set of interests, you might want to check out Yuureitou; it's a horror manga set in 1950s Japan and featuring gay and trans characters, although be warned that as you might expect from that description it goes to some pretty dark places.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://mangadex.org/title/56023

Two pretty cute yuri oneshots. First one had a hint of realness to it, or at least I could relate to it as opposed to it just being fluff.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

i like cute fox girls

are there cute fox girls

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Acerbatus posted:

https://mangadex.org/title/56023

Two pretty cute yuri oneshots. First one had a hint of realness to it, or at least I could relate to it as opposed to it just being fluff.

The first one was a bit yikes, but it got a lot better. The second one I liked more than I thought I would.

EDIT: I am reading Yasakan, a manga about a love triangle (which I really want to become a throuple) and it's so good. Has the author put out anything else of note?

Lily Catts fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 17, 2020

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
The latest Witch's Servant is just...Well look.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Schneider Heim posted:

EDIT: I am reading Yasakan, a manga about a love triangle (which I really want to become a throuple) and it's so good. Has the author put out anything else of note?
https://mangadex.org/title/13356/ano-ko-ni-kiss-to-shirayuri-wo was their previous long-running series.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

I Am Fowl posted:

The latest Witch's Servant is just...Well look.

If you ever want to pitch Witch's Servant in one sentence, it's got to be "The hot guy protagonist is the one who ends up getting his boobs fondled and it's actually really sweet."
Also, by this point I just really love how dedicated the translation is to making Betty aggressively Irish.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I love Witch's Servant and I never would have read it if it wasn't for this thread, thanks folx.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
i wish i had a hot tall bf who has an adopted witch daughter and is very chill about turning into a tiny lady and getting his boobs touched

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Cephas posted:

i wish i had a hot tall bf who has an adopted witch daughter and is very chill about turning into a tiny lady and getting his boobs touched

I'm torn between :same: and wanting to be the bf who can turn into a tiny lady.
Edit: ...In a way that's actually a pretty accurate description of my gender-identity situation.

Carpator Diei fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 21, 2020

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
https://mangadex.org/title/53204

:weneedaneggemote:

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

:weneedaneggemote:

:sax: could work, with a bit of repurposing.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

🥚

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

:blastu:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Carpator Diei posted:

If you ever want to pitch Witch's Servant in one sentence, it's got to be "The hot guy protagonist is the one who ends up getting his boobs fondled and it's actually really sweet."
Also, by this point I just really love how dedicated the translation is to making Betty aggressively Irish.

I think someone in this thread mentioned they accomplish this by phoning a cousin in Ireland and feeding the script through them to Irish-ify it.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I Am Fowl posted:

I think someone in this thread mentioned they accomplish this by phoning a cousin in Ireland and feeding the script through them to Irish-ify it.

That was in the translators notes at the end of a chapter iirc

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I do not think that there is a term I hate more
right now than egg

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

everythingWasBees posted:

right now than egg

I disliked egg analogies before it was cool.

mostly due to the idea that "hatching an egg" was like, a personal achievement.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

everythingWasBees posted:

right now than egg

as a trans person I've always found it creepy at worst and too assuming at best

I wouldn't use it imo

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
:shrug: I only use it because I see others use it, and its the best term to get the idea I'm going for across. What else would y'all suggest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

it's kind of disrespectful to look at someone and go 'they're definitely trans and don't know it'