Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
Being a Cleric of Bhaal is cool, and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

jokes posted:

That rules, lol. I think it's odd you can't just declare yourself an atheist in fantasy games, just because the gods are talking to you- you know who else does magical poo poo and smites people or whatever? loving everyone; more often than not I'm the one blowing minds and exploding torsos. At least let it in as a comedy option. The only game I recall that did this correctly is Pillars of Eternity.

If you say the wrong thing they often just kill you. In fact, in the beginning of PoE2 you have the option of just not going with their scheme at all-- the entire premise of PoE2 is they resurrect you for helping the gods with a scheme of theirs. If you opt out, they'll reincarnate your soul as a squirrel because they're assholes. Later on, you have the option of being a dick and some of the gods will just smite you without really getting upset. Just "oh you're bowing up? Dead". You're really, truly, insignificant to them-- even when you're being snarky. They'll casually be like "As a reminder, I am a god and will smite you. Anyways...". They'll talk about you, over you, in front of you, they don't give a poo poo. It's awesome. Especially with how PoE2 shakes out.

gently caress I hope PoE3 happens. I love the setting.

sadly apparently PoE2 did very poorly and a sequel seems unlikely

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

babypolis posted:

Shame. Enjoyed that one.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

babypolis posted:

drat it all why can't people just like the things I like?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The people who did play it, generally liked it. It's just that not enough people bought it.

e: BG3 will not have that problem, according to SteamSpy more than a million people already bought it.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Good. New question. Is Act I a relatively self-contained narrative or is it all 'Ok I beat it, time to wait ??? years for Act 2'?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

ChrisBTY posted:

Good. New question. Is Act I a relatively self-contained narrative or is it all 'Ok I beat it, time to wait ??? years for Act 2'?

Oh no, it's basically a dungeon cliff hanger.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

babypolis posted:

I actually think its a little more likely with the Microsoft purchase. MS wants a bunch of medium sized games of very different genres to keep new content coming to their netflix of games service. A smaller scale iso crpg would seem a decent fit for that especially if they want to make a proper franchise of the Pillars world (the TES-ish game seems big budget). Hell MS went for a turn based Gears of War which is nuttier. Any sequel would probably have major changes as I remember some exec at Obsidian said since D:OS sold so much more that's what they would be looking at.

I love the Pillars world more than the iso gameplay so I just want more games in it regardless.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Any tips for using Gale or wizards in general? I'm finding that every enemy bee-lines for him to an absurd degree. I know get the wizard is tried and true D&D staple and I've played lots of D&D games before but enemies are FANATICAL in their zeal to get him that I find just leaving him at camp to be a much better option. Is this and EA thing or is there a good tactic here? I usually use CC and lock-down spells and make sure I'm threatening enemies to get AOO on them but once those CC's run out he's a sitting duck.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Red Mundus posted:

Any tips for using Gale or wizards in general? I'm finding that every enemy bee-lines for him to an absurd degree. I know get the wizard is tried and true D&D staple and I've played lots of D&D games before but enemies are FANATICAL in their zeal to get him that I find just leaving him at camp to be a much better option. Is this and EA thing or is there a good tactic here? I usually use CC and lock-down spells and make sure I'm threatening enemies to get AOO on them but once those CC's run out he's a sitting duck.

Maybe it's kind of obvious but you need to do the damage per round to capitalize on his CC or else it's not gonna be very effective, have Astarion sneak attack a sleeping enemy for guaranteed crit and so on. It's still a DPS race and the CC's just help you tilt the scales in your favor. You can also try to find high ground before every fight but I haven't really found this to be necessary per se, though it'll help with dodging enemy archers and getting your cantrips to land if you can.

Taking Abjuration subclass and casting Mage Armor after every rest also helps. Later he gets a special ability that makes a 2-turn projectile shield every short rest too.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Red Mundus posted:

Mage armor is a big deal— 4AC for a single lvl 1 cast, but generally you just keep him way way in the back or misty stepping to difficult-to-reach spots. Or have a melee bruiser ready to catch dudes with attacks of opportunity.

Mages get a lot of guaranteed damage and aoe damage and splittable damage, so keep him way up above launching fire bolts and scorch rays and magic missiles at motherfuckers. Or sprint ahead, dunk a fiery hands on a group then misty step waaaaaay far away. I think misty step is crucial for proper wizard, personally.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Red Mundus posted:

Mage armor lasts until you rest, so use up a level 1 spell slot casting that after every long rest. Just be careful about positioning, make sure that he's only close enough to hit the nearest enemy with a spell. Try to avoid getting into close-range ambushes. Take summon familiar to add another squishy target onto the field.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Don't neglect talk to animals either. This is Larian, there is plenty of good doggo talk.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If a dog dies in BG3 I’m gonna freak out. They better implement that same “can’t kill kids” rule that FO3 had, where try as you might dogs can never die.

Who’s the god in charge of dogs? Lilira?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

babypolis posted:

they're making a scrollslike game using the setting tho

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

jokes posted:

If a dog dies in BG3 I’m gonna freak out. They better implement that same “can’t kill kids” rule that FO3 had, where try as you might dogs can never die.

Who’s the god in charge of dogs? Lilira?

Don't worry. Nobody is likely to kill the talking animals unless it's your own mistake, in which case the solution is to be slightly more responsible with AOEs. Yeah heresy I know.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Red Mundus posted:

A lot of the actually good spells got pulled off the wizard list, don't sweat it. Seriously, I might recommend just bringing a warlock instead because hideous laughter, suggestion, shield, and phantasmal force are all gone, familiars aren't a resource-free source of advantage for your team, and web seems to be hilariously useless. I imagine wizard comes into its own at level 5 once hypnotic pattern comes online, but oof, the bg3 wizard spell list is an adventure in sticking your dick in a meatgrinder.

That said, if you can line up a Thunderwave to knock multiple people off cliffs and kill them you should absolutely do that. Sleep will reliably incapacitate 1 or 2 people until you forget elves are immune, but is completely useless against hardcore enemies you would actually like to incapacitate. Ray of frost is effective at knocking dudes prone, but 5e prone is balanced around most enemies being melee multiattackers and half the enemies in this game have bows and bombs.

What I suspect the real meta wizard build is the armored dwarf abjurer rocking mirror image/and or blur and then you just tank everything before clicking the long rest button.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

A lot of the actually good spells got pulled off the wizard list, don't sweat it. Seriously, I might recommend just bringing a warlock instead because hideous laughter, suggestion, shield, and phantasmal force are all gone, familiars aren't a resource-free source of advantage for your team, and web seems to be hilariously useless. I imagine wizard comes into its own at level 5 once hypnotic pattern comes online, but oof, the bg3 wizard spell list is an adventure in sticking your dick in a meatgrinder.

That said, if you can line up a Thunderwave to knock multiple people off cliffs and kill them you should absolutely do that. Sleep will reliably incapacitate 1 or 2 people until you forget elves are immune, but is completely useless against hardcore enemies you would actually like to incapacitate. Ray of frost is effective at knocking dudes prone, but 5e prone is balanced around most enemies being melee multiattackers and half the enemies in this game have bows and bombs.

What I suspect the real meta wizard build is the armored dwarf abjurer rocking mirror image/and or blur and then you just tank everything before clicking the long rest button.

I just treat Gale as the fuse for my powder kegs. There's so many oil and firewine barrels and powder kegs that firebolt can set off, or you can just pick them up and drop them or throw them around pre-encounter. The cantrips dropping flaming or acid or ice ground empower them significantly. Magic missile is guaranteed damage, there's not many other sources of that in D&D - and you can upcast it. Great for finishing off multiple goblins with 1 or 2 hp after one of your melee or an explosion took a chunk out of them. Summon familiar is still useful, my spider often makes several opportunity attacks per encounter.

Important old-school D&D rule with sleep though, it's useless versus undead. Otherwise sleep can put in some really good work.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

babypolis posted:

PoE2 finally turned a profit earlier this year, so it wasn't a complete commercial failure, it just took longer than they'd like. I agree its a great game and an amazing setting, and we might get PoE3 at some point, or at least more games like in that universe depending on how Avowed does, now that MS owns the game.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Fritz the Horse posted:

I'm not familiar with 5e outside of BG3 but it seems a lot more... simplified? Compared to nightmare systems in the original BGs or even NWN.

They attempted to reign in 3.5/Pathfinder numbers bloat when designing the game. The whole 'Bounded Accuracy' thing keeping AC, save throws, modifiers etc within reason.

Now obviously it started to leak around the edges almost immediately, but they made the attempt.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dis/advantage is great at the table, it's simple, legible and satisfying compared to a bunch of +1/+2s.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

sebmojo posted:

Dis/advantage is great at the table, it's simple, legible and satisfying compared to a bunch of +1/+2s.

It'd be cool if dis/advantage was implemented into the conversation system, too. It's not just for combat in tabletop!

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012

Frida Call Me posted:

It'd be cool if dis/advantage was implemented into the conversation system, too. It's not just for combat in tabletop!

Friends gives you advantage on CHA checks in dialogue

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."
I have a week off working at the end of the month and am wondering if I should jump in on this in early access or not? Ive been so excited about it since I heard it was being made, and I loved BG, BG2, NWN and PST back in the day.

How much content are we getting just now? My concern is them saying the final game may be a year away... I dont wanna spoil it by playing too much without the polish as I often play an early access game and then never get back to it once its fully released (Darkest Dungeon Im looking at you).

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Touchdown Boy posted:

I have a week off working at the end of the month and am wondering if I should jump in on this in early access or not? Ive been so excited about it since I heard it was being made, and I loved BG, BG2, NWN and PST back in the day.

How much content are we getting just now? My concern is them saying the final game may be a year away... I dont wanna spoil it by playing too much without the polish as I often play an early access game and then never get back to it once its fully released (Darkest Dungeon Im looking at you).

We have the first act of the game; it's roughly about 20 hours worth of gameplay. That said some of the content (quests, dialogues, companions, etc) are still unfinished and you're also not expected to be able to just continue with your save all the way through the development process. Many people are reporting performance issues as well, although these things are of course partly dependent on your PC's specs.

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."

blizzardvizard posted:

We have the first act of the game; it's roughly about 20 hours worth of gameplay. That said some of the content (quests, dialogues, companions, etc) are still unfinished and you're also not expected to be able to just continue with your save all the way through the development process. Many people are reporting performance issues as well, although these things are of course partly dependent on your PC's specs.

Oh ok, yeah Im super tempted, but I think I will wait a bit. Is there any sort of timeline I can check up on to see the point where I might wanna jump in on this?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I don't believe they've issued a timeline/content map or similar thus far.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Touchdown Boy posted:

Oh ok, yeah Im super tempted, but I think I will wait a bit. Is there any sort of timeline I can check up on to see the point where I might wanna jump in on this?

Don't lie to yourself you'll get it by next week at the latest

I also said I was going to hold off on the EA, yet here it is sitting in my game library

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Touchdown Boy posted:

Only act 1. If you often only play EA and then stop, you can hold off an not buy it. The price won't change on release, you can wait for reviews and discussions on the full game.

There's no timeline. If they show a roadmap, people will assume that everything on it will absolutely get in. They've already been burned on that a couple of times, with Divinity: Original Sin's infamous "Day/Night cycle and Weather Systems". (As well as the "Phantom Forest Dungeon" and "Bellegar Encounters".)

Swen doesn't want to show a roadmap, because simple-sounded things can become unexpectedly complex, and complex-sounding things can become astoundingly complex. So they'd rather take the hit from keeping people in the dark, than the bigger hit from promising things which they end up being unable to deliver. See this video at 49:15

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/763351879

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Touchdown Boy posted:

I’d suggest letting this game sit in the oven a while longer and, if you haven’t already, play Pathfinder Kingmaker and the Pillars of Eternity games.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

PoE, DOS2, then Pathfinder (if ever). Pathfinder is really uh... a lot.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Touchdown Boy posted:

They have not released a roadmap and have no plans to release one.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Their EA message says 'at least a year, it's done when it's done'.

jokes posted:

PoE, DOS2, then Pathfinder (if ever). Pathfinder is really uh... a lot.

My order would be DOS2 first but all those games are amazingly worth playing. Just know that Pathfinder is somehow a 150 hour game that doesn't feel like it has much more content than the other 2.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 17, 2020

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I'm like 3 hours into Pathfinder and my main tank lady has like AC 33. It's weird coming from 5e to the huge numbers in kingmaker.

queeb fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 17, 2020

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Supposedly there are some 35+ skill checks which somehow seems way more annoying than the encounters available at lvl 3 with level 9 monsters.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I kinda wish they showed the dice rolls. Nothing breaks your heart like rolling disadvantage and seeing the 20 first and then a 3.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

AlternateAccount posted:

I kinda wish they showed the dice rolls. Nothing breaks your heart like rolling disadvantage and seeing the 20 first and then a 3.

You can look them up on the bottom right side of the screen. There's a little node you can click on that will pop out a text box containing dice rolls. My only complaint is that it doesn't scroll as the game goes on so you need to manually scroll it down to see the latest rolls.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Maybe I'm a big dum dum but I discovered a way in which Wyll is actually quite a bit better than I first thought: he has Find Familiar as a cantrip, and he can summon an imp or quasit that actually has half decent combat stats. So he basically has a ranger-style demonic companion.

I'm assuming that's unique to him, anyway. I don't think I picked it as an option on level up. It's not indicated anywhere on his character sheet.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah I started playing DOS2 to hold off on the urge to buy a like one-fifths finished game

I guess maybe it's because I knew what I was getting into by hearing people talk about it but I really dig the writing in this game? It's incredibly goofy but I'm onto incredibly goofy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Fritz the Horse posted:

Maybe I'm a big dum dum but I discovered a way in which Wyll is actually quite a bit better than I first thought: he has Find Familiar as a cantrip, and he can summon an imp or quasit that actually has half decent combat stats. So he basically has a ranger-style demonic companion.

I'm assuming that's unique to him, anyway. I don't think I picked it as an option on level up. It's not indicated anywhere on his character sheet.

That's the Pact of the Chain Level 3 Warlock option, they can all take it. Currently the other two Pacts (Blade and Tome) aren't in game.

The Quasit is a really nice companion to have to help Rogues with Sneak Attacks.

Unrelated, I really hope Larian makes the final level (before expansions) at least 12.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 17, 2020