Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

that is a good-rear end dogge.

wish the 1st episode was more than just the burnham show, but it's half a 2-parter. so whatever. it'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTPwbVqU6lc

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I'm guessing Episode 2 will be The Discovery Show (Not Featuring Michael Burnham) but they'll contact her at the end and surprise! She's got the long braids we've seen in promotional shots and she's been in the future for MONTHS!

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Ah that would make sense. And the mild-mannered salaryman will also have become a true brute by then; after all, he's just met his first Starfleet officer in decades, and her first adventure in the this period saw her killing several security guards including founding members of her own Federation in order to help someone she knew to be a criminal. He's going to go all-in on that poo poo, he'll basically be a Klingon.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Crusader posted:

if section 31 is a casualty of *gestures broadly*, I don’t think anyone will care - maybe one day someone will tell an interesting story about having to make the Hard Choices in space but I doubt it was gonna be that show

It's Iain Bank's Culture series of books.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Why is Star Trek just Death Stranding now.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Duckula posted:

Why is Star Trek just Death Stranding now.

Because it wants to be anything but Star Trek.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

https://twitter.com/allwrongthink/status/1317410571076227073?s=19

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

That cat is going to be the only good thing about this season.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I turned it off after they jumped off the cliff. I can’t imagine anything I care less about than this plot and more dumb hellscape future dystopia TV.

I’ll finish it later but man, the fact that this was my initial reaction doesn’t bode well for my participation in this show. I was definitely “hell i’ll watch it because more Start Wreck” but now I’m not so sure.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I'm guessing Episode 2 will be The Discovery Show (Not Featuring Michael Burnham) but they'll contact her at the end and surprise! She's got the long braids we've seen in promotional shots and she's been in the future for MONTHS!

Suggestion two: Whenever Michael Burnham is not on screen, all the other characters should be asking “Where’s Michael Burnham??”

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Martytoof posted:

I turned it off after they jumped off the cliff. I can’t imagine anything I care less about than this plot and more dumb hellscape future dystopia TV.

Honestly the future she's found herself in seems way more interesting than the one she's been living in for the last two seasons.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I grew tired of the "big creature gobbles on someone then spits them out covered in goo" joke a decade ago, and Lower Decks and Discovery deliver me two examples within a couple months?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Chalks posted:

Honestly the future she's found herself in seems way more interesting than the one she's been living in for the last two seasons.

I agree. I'm way more interested in what a post Federation, and possibly every over major faction, galaxy looks like than boring prequal stuff. I thought it was a perfectly okay episode of Star Trek and if they can recreate the tone of Burnham commissioning that guy at the end a few more times I think I'll enjoy this season.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire posted:

I grew tired of the "big creature gobbles on someone then spits them out covered in goo" joke a decade ago, and Lower Decks and Discovery deliver me two examples within a couple months?

at least the joke is tonally appropriate for one of them

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Seemlar posted:

Unspoiling this isn't it isn't one, but why do you think Section 31 wouldn't be in the 32nd century? It's such a strangely common view.

The ongoing thing with Georgiou that they emphasized in season 2 is that no matter how much she pretends otherwise she genuinely cares about Burnham and sees her as daughter figure. So what seems more likely, her founding or working with a future Section 31 to protect the New Federation from the shadows in ways her naive daughter won't, which means she can show up in more of Discovery any time they feel like it or... traveling to the past to... work for Ash Tyler in 2258, separated from the only major plotline she's had to date with no ability to revisit it?

Even before the reveal that time travel is no longer possible her going back would be the thing that doesn't make sense

My thinking was that it would be extremely weird if someone from 1000 years ago showed up and inserted themselves/took over a shadow government. She doesn't know the time, modern tech, modern factions, so unless everyone at 32nd century Section 31 are tactical morons they don't really need her.

Imagine William the Conqueror shows up today, MI5 isn't going to jump at giving him a job.

However, this is Star Trek so maybe none of that matters.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
How do you know that William the Conquerer isn’t an MI5 operative? :tinfoil:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I dunno, if Cicero popped up today I'd give him a shot at a shadow government position.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I want my country to be basically run by Diogenes

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

I dunno, if Cicero popped up today I'd give him a shot at a shadow government position.

He'd have everyone who doesn't pronounce his name in the original Latin way of "Kikero" executed.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
As he should. I didn't take 2 years of Latin to not get something out of it :colbert:

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.
Oh yeah late to that LDS party so get ready for an ice cold take!

The dog episode was good, the last two episodes were great. Everything else was average to disappointing.

Boom

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Cicero wasn’t that great at contemporary politics and that wasn’t nearly as complicated as modern ones

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Jihad Joe posted:

Oh yeah late to that LDS party so get ready for an ice cold take!

The dog episode was good, the last two episodes were great. Everything else was average to disappointing.

Boom

The dog was probably the best recurring gag in the entire season, though I also quite liked the Exocomp.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The dog turning into a cube and rolling away is my sense of humor distilled into a single gag and I ain’t mad about it

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

pik_d posted:

My thinking was that it would be extremely weird if someone from 1000 years ago showed up and inserted themselves/took over a shadow government. She doesn't know the time, modern tech, modern factions, so unless everyone at 32nd century Section 31 are tactical morons they don't really need her.

Imagine William the Conqueror shows up today, MI5 isn't going to jump at giving him a job.

not that I really want to use it as an example, but section 31 did that in the kelvinverse with Khan

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Zutaten posted:

Book sarcastically calls him a "true believer" and he's essentially cargo culting the Federation because his family has done it for generations. Other "Federation" ships do exist in his little sector he oversees, two of them apparently, but we can assume they're also crewed by what are essentially cultists, pleasant though Sahil is, bearing the torch for a dead entity. The long range communications have been dead for long enough that what he sees is all he knows. Coming face to face with a real life Starfleet officer from elsewhere must have been like meeting a god, or a legendary hero.

e: he's like the bureaucrat version of that world war 2 soldier who was lost in the jungle and refused to believe the war was over until his commander told him to stand down. But, like, in a positive way.

Why didn't he get one of them to unfurl the flag or give him a field commission

quote:

Big fangourious monster aliens have been a JJtrek hallmark since his first movie. When we watched this new DISCO episode, my friend literally said "oh look he's hauling Raptars".

The Golden Gael fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 17, 2020

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

The Golden Gael posted:

The ships are probably crewed by ad hoc Starfleet personnel, too. Burnham will swear them all in.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Phylodox posted:

The ships are probably crewed by ad hoc Starfleet personnel, too. Burnham will swear them all in.

It’s Red Squad all over again!

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Discovery makes me feel so old.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
WHAT IS THE DEAL WITH THE WAY BOOK SAYS STUFF

tri-CORDER
temp-ural

is time a lightly battered vegetable now?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

pik_d posted:

Yeah it's weird but Starfleet has a history of dudes from 100 years ago showing up and continuing to have jobs (Scotty and Captain Frasier and his crew both have this in multiple novels, Tuvok left Starfleet for 60ish years iirc, that Timeship captain who was trapped on Earth for 30 years) Given Lower Decks presenting the adventures as viral holonovels people know, they would be familiar enough with the concept it would become a trope. That's not even getting into anything that happened post-Temporal Cold War, something spoke of as understood fact in this episode. I bet there was a whole pack of random officers from the past 800 years running around on ships after it was over, all of which probably died but would have their own holonovel stories that this guy probably checked out as sitting at a desk all day doing nothing is pretty boring. But I might be giving this more thought that the writers

echoplex posted:

tri-CORDER
temp-ural

Language evolves so quickly for 1000 years we're lucky the universal translator can figure it out even if he is speaking proper English, just check out how English sounded 1000 years ago. But maybe he's accenting certain things for a reason...

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.

echoplex posted:

tri-CORDER
temp-ural

English people am I right?!

This guy knows

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The Golden Gael posted:

I just finished watching the episode and literally came in here to ask that :lol:

I swear I've seen Book's actor somewhere on TV before but nothing in his wikipedia article seems familiar. I guess it's possible I'm remembering him from his Doctor Who episode, but he also reminds me a lot of a younger Idris Alba so maybe that's it.

I'm sad that the Orion dude got wasted by the worm. I thought him and his Andorian buddy were great.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 17, 2020

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Martytoof posted:

I guess it's possible I'm remembering him from his Doctor Who episode

Oh, that’s where I remember him from. :aaa:

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

I'm enjoying the Short Treks. The Trouble with Edward is funny and I don't care what others think.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I cannot fathom who in the federation would give a poo poo who raises the flag. Why would it only be able to be raised by a commissioned officer? The Federation isn't a military! Kirk would have said hes being a moron and just raise it himself!

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Ramadu posted:

I cannot fathom who in the federation would give a poo poo who raises the flag. Why would it only be able to be raised by a commissioned officer? The Federation isn't a military! Kirk would have said hes being a moron and just raise it himself!

a federation-aboo, or fedaboo for short. we're talking major cargoculting of starfleet regs over a couple of generations. things drift over generations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Federation isn't a millitary, but Starfleet certainly is. Thus the millitary command structure, armed fleets of warships, deployment in times war and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Just watched the new episode, drugged-up Michael was great. Gives me some hope that the writers are finally realising that both the character and actor are much more fun to watch when the script actually lets her show emotion beyond "stoically sorrowful". I just hope they can keep that up.