Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Please rate how excited you are for season 5 on a scale of Fat Lee to The Adama Mauneuver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Please rate how excited you are for season 5 on a scale of Fat Lee to The Adama Mauneuver.

I'd say it rates a medium-to-high stealth Viper

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

You can't ask me to rate something on a scale of 9 to 10 even if I'm obviously going to give it a 10.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
What does Boomer shooting Adama fall? Or Dee’s suicide?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Please rate how excited you are for season 5 on a scale of to

Somewhere in this area:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Dreylad posted:

I think I may end up appreciating Season 4 as a small story in between big epic moments that have already happened and are going to probably come up this season. There are parts that definitely drag, but I still like the Illum storyline a lot.

It is that, but it's also a deeply consequential season in ways that are not apparent until like, the eighth book. I hope the show gets there! I've always felt that if they adapt book 5, they'll do the entire run because of how high a gear this kicks into. I would like to be correct.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
About here:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Realtalk the Adama Maneuver is something the Expanse hasn't come close to matching even though the Expanse is my favorite sci fi show.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
As someone who watches anim, there really is something to regularly building up buzz every week on the reg. A burst of posting activity in a thread, no need for thick reams of spoiler text.

Anime tends to suit weekly delivery as well, because it's made under a (rather abusive to workers) just-in-time production model. A seasonal show like The Expanse is going to be shot all at once, and will go through post-production all at once, like a 10h long movie, and the entire thing will get a master copy before it airs. Therefore, the decision to go weekly or binge is a purely executive decision, and dribbling it out over 13 weeks is a way to deliberately restrict the audience from seeing the entire thing at once, and somehow this ends up being a win-win for both customer and producer. If anything, delivering anime under a binge model is actually the worst of all worlds, because you're watching episode 1 long after others who have pirated and fansubbed it.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Nail Rat posted:

Realtalk the Adama Maneuver is something the Expanse hasn't come close to matching even though the Expanse is my favorite sci fi show.

I have a feeling that when you see what Amos gets up to this season something might happen that will be around the same level of awesome.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I want all the episodes right now, but I think it's undeniable that weekly release works better. Look at the buzz the Mandalorian had compared to shows that were dropped all at once. I am fine with it, especially since we're still getting three eps up front.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

ded posted:

I have a feeling that when you see what AmosNaomi gets up to this season something might happen that will be around the same level of awesome.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Nail Rat posted:

The Adama maneuver is the coolest poo poo that has ever existed. It loving blew my mind when it happened.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

CainsDescendant posted:

It's really surprising to me how many folks are really angry they won't be able to binge s5, judging by the response on Ty's twitter, because I'm really excited to space it out again.
Good news for folks who want to binge it: you can totally still do that if you wait until January!

I get that some people want to do it one way, and other people want to do it the other way, and with enough self control you could, by yourself, do it however you want no matter how they released it...

However, you can't really collectively experience things and discuss them if they're all dropped at once.

I'm really frustrated by shows that drop all at once. I'm incredibly happy they're spreading out this season of the Expanse. I get to experience the world of the expanse a lot more if I sit down every week and think about it all fresh again. With time to process it and read online discussion I get to keep revisiting the world over and over, and each time I sit down to watch a new episode I get to experience the feeling of getting into the world all over again.

If a show was mildly entertaining and not super thoughtful but for some reason I still wanted to watch it, sure, let's just crank it out. That does not describe the Expanse, where there's a world I want to come back to and consider basically for as long as I can.

Weekly discussion definitely helps with the process of considering and engaging with the world depicted, and that's like, the a huge part of the appeal with the Expanse especially.

If for some reason you like just sitting down and getting the whole thing done with in one exciting push, cool. You can wait until it's all out and do that. No need to ruin it for folks who want to take their time with it and engage with each episode at a time. Weekly releases are definitely the way to go.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'd rather be able to discuss things in the thread without spoiler tags and without having to worry about if this unmarked spoilertag is from episode 8 or episode 1 or if it's from the books or what. So I prefer a weekly thing. Otherwise I'll just have to avoid the thread entirely until I finish the season and then be able to read the spoiler tags without worrying about a misclick ruining something.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I watched season 1 an ep a week with my friends and it was absolute torture waiting each week, but I definitely wouldn't have been as hooked if I didn't have those agonizing waits.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Dreylad posted:

I think I may end up appreciating Season 4 as a small story in between big epic moments that have already happened and are going to probably come up this season. There are parts that definitely drag, but I still like the Illum storyline a lot.

The problem with Book 4 has always been that it's the start of a new trilogy. The old tension is all gone and it has to set up what the series is :actually: about.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Cojawfee posted:

The Adama maneuver is the coolest poo poo that has ever existed. It loving blew my mind when it happened.

It's about the only BSG thing I'm compelled to watch over and over again.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

SpaceCommie posted:

It's about the only BSG thing I'm compelled to watch over and over again.

'33' is a pretty drat good episode. I actually saw it before the pre-series movie and it worked just fine without context, especially the stuff on Galactica.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Ravenfood posted:

'33' is a pretty drat good episode. I actually saw it before the pre-series movie and it worked just fine without context, especially the stuff on Galactica.

Pretty much every episode of that show is ~perfect~, but taken as a whole it's a huge, jumbled loving mess.

Like, :lol:, Adama goes from "I'M COUPING NOW" to "YOU MUST RESPECT THE ELECTED GOVERNMENT" over the course of ~36 hours at the end of S1?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

I want all the episodes right now, but I think it's undeniable that weekly release works better. Look at the buzz the Mandalorian had compared to shows that were dropped all at once. I am fine with it, especially since we're still getting three eps up front.

It’s a good idea since it leads to enjoyable game of thrones style speculation between episodes.

On the bright side at least the first episodes will be out in dec 16.

Expect like of angry one star reviews from internet nerds.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

Every battle in BSG is loving beautiful effects work.

It's amazing how BSG's space CG still looks incredible, but even season 5 of Babylon 5 (which is vastly better looking than season 1) shows its age quite a bit even though there's only like a four year tech gap between the two.

Firefly's space FX are still beautiful too and that was like what, 2001? There was some giant tech leap in a very short time in there.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Seriously. I've been seeing a lot of movies and things from circa 2001 and the next few years and thinking "OK this is 20 goddamn years old, surely it's going to look dated as hell, this is only like four years after that weird little green CGI alien in the Lost in Space movie after all" but I cannot find fault in BSG or Firefly even imagining they came out today.

If anything modern FX-heavy movies and shows have mostly made strides in just making it seamless so you don't notice it's happening, even in totally mundane scenes where you're just trying to avoid having to shoot like a period piece with historically accurate cars and buildings or whatever. Which I gueeeesss is a good thing?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
For me, BSG's sfx work almost looks better than The Expanse's, because the modern stuff is too detailed. I shouldn't be able to see every single rivet on The Cant, while Galactica needed some realistic distance-blur just to make things look legit.

That being said, BSG dumped a lot of effort into relatively few animations. They reuse the ~viper launch and turn~ sequence at least once an episode. It's made up for by the one-per-season set piece battle...which are, honestly, some of the best moments in scifi:

The Adama Maneuver has already been mentioned, but also the fight against the Basestars with Pegasus, the moment when Galactica breaks her spine and you see the launch bays coming unhinged, the battle at The Hub...

When you think that BSG was made at the same time as The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and only one of those had a AAA-Hollywood budget...well. :nallears:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah, integration with live action has gotten better. The Centurions look good but you can still tell they're fake when they're in a scene with people. Nice thing about space scenes is there's none of that.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, integration with live action has gotten better. The Centurions look good but you can still tell they're fake when they're in a scene with people. Nice thing about space scenes is there's none of that.

Oh jeez...I kind of blanked them out in my memory. Yeah, that's where the show really spots its age.

...buuuuuuuuuut, those Centurions still look better than half the sfx work on The Walking Dead sooooooooooooo. :shrug:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think BSG looks so good because they try to make every shot look like a person is filming it. So the galactica will jump in and the camera moves to put it in frame and then does a quick focus change to get a clear look at the shop. So much better than some shows and movies where the cg camera captures what happens but it's clearly just a fake camera moving with keyframes.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Cojawfee posted:

I think BSG looks so good because they try to make every shot look like a person is filming it. So the galactica will jump in and the camera moves to put it in frame and then does a quick focus change to get a clear look at the shop. So much better than some shows and movies where the cg camera captures what happens but it's clearly just a fake camera moving with keyframes.

That's similar to my abiding memory of the Firefly effects, which might be more about the Firefly camerawork: specifically that bit in I think the first episode where they're being chased by the ship belching black smoke down on the planet and they show you an extreme telephoto view of it bearing down on them. Foreshortening, focus hunting, the billowing smoke as a backdrop instead of being blocked out as it would have been in a shorter shot — it looked real like nothing ever had.

That kind of "ok let's emulate not just the objects of real life but how you would capture those objects with a camera" innovation may have been the biggest leap over stuff like B5 which was still in the "holy poo poo we can just put the camera anywhere we want and make it swoop around like a Mind's Eye video :catdrugs:" mode.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Data Graham posted:

That's similar to my abiding memory of the Firefly effects, which might be more about the Firefly camerawork: specifically that bit in I think the first episode where they're being chased by the ship belching black smoke down on the planet and they show you an extreme telephoto view of it bearing down on them. Foreshortening, focus hunting, the billowing smoke as a backdrop instead of being blocked out as it would have been in a shorter shot — it looked real like nothing ever had.

That kind of "ok let's emulate not just the objects of real life but how you would capture those objects with a camera" innovation may have been the biggest leap over stuff like B5 which was still in the "holy poo poo we can just put the camera anywhere we want and make it swoop around like a Mind's Eye video :catdrugs:" mode.

I feel like The Expanse is a massive step back in this regard. Sure, the technical merits of the CGI are top notch but the actual direction of them leaves a lot to be desired. I wonder if it was a deliberate choice to distance themselves from Galactica and attempt to have their own look? Because the Galactica style would've been perfect for The Expanse.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

They definitely experimented with a more galactica-esque camera as a physical object style at the beginning. I'm thinking specifically of a scene in the second episode where the Knight is getting bombarded with debris from the Cant and a piece of it actually hits the 'camera', sending it into a dizzying spin for a second or two.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
And I can’t remember if they still do it, but in the early seasons they had the camera do really floaty movements during zero-g scenes.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Season Four owns actually because we get to see Ashford be a pirate one last time

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Eej posted:

Season Four owns actually because we get to see Ashford be a pirate wellawalla one last time

:smith:

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

And I can’t remember if they still do it, but in the early seasons they had the camera do really floaty movements during zero-g scenes.

Yeah, honestly, the first time I saw the Donnager battle I didn't know what the gently caress was going on.

BSG-style camerawork would only work so well for the expanse because of how extremely far away the ships are in combat, you have to flip back and forth between them somehow.

This kind of far-off shot works for BSG, but if you tried doing it in The Expanse the ships would probably end up less than a pixel wide if you want them both in frame.

In later seasons BSG forewent all that kind of camerawork and flight mechanics and became a bit more generic. The early seasons were done by the same production team as Firefly, which is why they're so similar.

Captain Splendid fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 17, 2020

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
All this talk just makes me wish they'd reboot Jericho

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Eej posted:

Season Four owns actually because we get to see Ashford be a pirate one last time

Big beautiful belter sea shanties

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I'm still going with the breaching scene being a callback to "Two-guns" Sid Hatfield in Matewan

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Nail Rat posted:

The stealth ship fight was pretty awesome

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Phi230 posted:

All this talk just makes me wish they'd reboot Jericho

:hai:

Except season 2 is just them warring with the neighboring towns and da 'gubment never comes back...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

LegoMan posted:

The stealth ship fight was pretty awesome

brap brap