Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

graventy posted:

Technically you DON'T want to gently caress it, or then you'll be targeted. e: gah!

Add The Old Dark House to the list! I think it's James Whale's best horror, though it's mostly gay campy comedy fun.

Threw it on the list because I've never seen a Boris Karloff movie and I've heard of him. I'm not necessarily looking to add more stuff to the list until I get further along, but it's just so much fun to tour all of these classics I've heard about and wanted to watch.

Brain on: horror movies, sci-fi movies.

Brain off: CAR MOVIES

God I love dumb action movies, they're perfect for popcorn and cuddling and admiring the Rock's rippling muscles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

I like horror movies a lot but c'mon man the Fast and the Furious movies are just dumb fun. Sometimes it's just fun to watch a southern idiot who is pretty good at cars but can't drift around corners and then he goes to Japan where all car racing is based upon the drift and then he has to learn how to drift to save the girl.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Threw it on the list because I've never seen a Boris Karloff movie and I've heard of him.

It's probably not a great Boris Karloff movie, because he's not really front and center, but it is a lot of fun.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

oh no i like dumb movies too no hate on the fnf franchise from me i was laughing at the smugness of HAH! ID NEVER WATCH ZOMBIES HALLOWEEN I WANNA ENJOY MY HORROR MOVIES then going "yeah I enjoyed all the FnF movies"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

oh no i like dumb movies too no hate on the fnf franchise from me i was laughing at the smugness of HAH! ID NEVER WATCH ZOMBIES HALLOWEEN I WANNA ENJOY MY HORROR MOVIES then going "yeah I enjoyed all the FnF movies"

You have to allow some time for a new poster to adjust because the outside world has been telling them for years that Rob Zombie's movies are bad. We have to reprogram them, which takes time.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

But also zombies movies are not good :colbert:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

dorium posted:

But also zombies movies are not good :colbert:

It's a neverending battle for the soul of every horror thread poster and we will defeat you.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

you can only say that if youve seen them even i have sat through Mike Flanagans trash so i can say i hate him with authenticity

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

StrixNebulosa posted:

I started watching it out of curiosity and had to skip forward through it as it wasn't compelling

Another addendum, I have trouble watching movies alone as I tend to pause/skip around/etc and just be a bad movie watcher,

he's a saint who is willing to watch horror movies with me, as they're the genre that fascinates me the most.

You need to actually watch them to be able to enjoy them, there's quite a few exceptional horrors that take time to set things up for the pay off. If you skip around to just when stuff happens you're missing out on a lot. It sounds like you struggle with your attention span more than anything else. I can definitely be like that sometimes and those are the times I don't watch films because I know I won't be taking it in.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I have watched all the Rob Zombie movies and I hate them.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I have watched all the Rob Zombie movies and I hate them.

Basebf and i are going to make you watch them Clockwork Orange style until you appreciate them :colbert:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Olympic Mathlete posted:

You need to actually watch them to be able to enjoy them, there's quite a few exceptional horrors that take time to set things up for the pay off. If you skip around to just when stuff happens you're missing out on a lot. It sounds like you struggle with your attention span more than anything else. I can definitely be like that sometimes and those are the times I don't watch films because I know I won't be taking it in.

Yeah, that's why I'm happy to watch with my boyfriend as that attention span nonsense doesn't happen. Halloween is a great example because if I skipped through it that would destroy the tension which is 95% of what makes it great.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Recommend exactly one Rob Zombie movie to watch and I'll put it on the list.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

The Devil's Rejects is his best movie, but it is a sequel to House of 1000 Corpses. The two movies are very different in tone though. Id watch them both and if you dont like either, try out Lords of Salem which is another different style of his. If you dont like any of those he's probably just not for you but those are the ones id start with

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea recommending one Zombie movie is tough because a few of his best films are sequels.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

His 2 strongest are Rejects and Halloween II, both of which are sequels.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

The Devil's Rejects is his best movie, but it is a sequel to House of 1000 Corpses. The two movies are very different in tone though. Id watch them both and if you dont like either, try out Lords of Salem which is another different style of his. If you dont like any of those he's probably just not for you but those are the ones id start with

Perfect, thank you. I can work with the "if I liked this there's better to see" enticement.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Basebf555 posted:

Yea recommending one Zombie movie is tough because a few of his best films are sequels.

Yeah, I was just teasing; my initial thought was Halloween II but that's not exactly the place to start.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Perfect, thank you. I can work with the "if I liked this there's better to see" enticement.

Yeah even if you don't like Corpses, I'd encourage you to still check out Rejects. They have the same characters but are tonally very different. A lot of people like one of them and dislike the other.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
As a strong House of 1000 Corpses hater, I can verify that Devil's Rejects is good. Not great, but good. Lords of Salem is great.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I’ve only watched Rejects and it’s definitely a movie I respect, even if I didn’t really enjoy watching it. It’s just grimy and mean and sets out what it means to accomplish.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah I forgot to say earlier I do hate all of Rob Zombies movies except the 1st halloween and Lords of Salem.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I maintain that Zombie's best film is House of 1000 Corpses, it's wonderfully sincere and unrestrained.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

All of Zombies movies are not good and Dr. Satan and Dragula are Zombies best contributions to horror.

I am the Roddy Piper to your alien takeover.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

3 From Hell is on my list for this month. I don't much care for Ho1KC but I think Devil's Rejects is good. I don't like his Halloween movies at all and I also didn't like Lords of Salem.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

StrixNebulosa posted:

In fact, here's the list:
- 28 Days Later
28 Days Later will not have nearly as much impact if you don't watch a few 'classic' zombie movies beforehand. Stuff like Romero's original Dead trilogy, Return of the Living Dead, and Zombi.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Darthemed posted:

28 Days Later will not have nearly as much impact if you don't watch a few 'classic' zombie movies beforehand. Stuff like Romero's original Dead trilogy, Return of the Living Dead, and Zombi.

Ah, I have seen the original dead trilogy! Weird good dated stuff.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I love the feeding frenzy that occurs upon the arrival of a new acolyte

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Tarnop posted:

I love the feeding frenzy that occurs upon the arrival of a new acolyte

Another for our ever growing army of the undead!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Basebf555 posted:

You have to allow some time for a new poster to adjust because the outside world has been telling them for years that Rob Zombie's movies are bad. We have to reprogram them, which takes time.

it's okay to not like his movies, his style is honestly love-it-or-hate-it as gently caress and i totally get people who are on the "hate it" side. but i also don't think his stuff is actually bad enough to just dismiss out of hand, it's all worth giving a shot to see if you like it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Took a brief break from the horror and watched District 9 (that new 4K version just dropped) and I forgot how much awesome body horror and fine gore mists get created in the duration of the runtime.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

As much as I overall enjoy District 13, I’ll never get over the jarring change from it being a documentary style film to just regular movie. I nearly got whiplash from that seeing it in the cinema, they really could have framed that change better. It’s been years since I watched it last, it deserves another outing for sure.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

I maintain that Zombie's best film is House of 1000 Corpses, it's wonderfully sincere and unrestrained.

Sincere is the perfect word for it. I think I used "pure" in my recent review. There's a lot to be said for that.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'll believe you, but as a still relative newcomer to watching horror movies I have a to-watch list that's full of better stuff that I want to get to first.

In fact, here's the list:

- Suspiria
- Bride of Frankenstein
- Evil Dead trilogy
- 28 Days Later
- The Birds
- Friday the 13th
- Get Out
- Ghost Stories
- the rest of John Carpenter's oeuvre
- Interview with the Vampire
- The Wailing
- VVitch
- You're Next
- whatever cool horror movies I find and want to put on this

I've already seen:

- Event Horizon
- John Carpenter's Thing
- Halloween
- Paranormal Activity
- Dog Soldiers
- Dark City
- It Follows (gently caress this movie)
- Jacob's Ladder
- Alien / Terminator / Predator

You should add The Invisible Man (1933) to this list I actually think its a better film than Bride of Frankenstein. Also some George Romero , Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead are pretty essential Horror films.

Top 5 Horror "Essential" Films

The Beyond
The Thing
Dawn of the Dead
Evil Dead 2
The Exorcist

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 17, 2020

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I really like this list of essential horror that Fran linked to in the challenge thread. I've seen exactly 500 of the 1,000.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Its honestly hard to come up with a essential top 5 horror movies.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is it best to save Crystal Lake Memories for after watching all 12 F13th movies, as a treat? Or can I jump in earlier? I know it also covers the TV series and I’m definitely not arsed to watch that.

I think I’d seen the majority of NMoeS movies before I did Never Sleep Again, but it was years ago and I’m kinda up for watching NSA too.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

dorium posted:

All of Zombies movies are not good and Dr. Satan and Dragula are Zombies best contributions to horror.

I hate to ruin this surprise but please give this song from the end credits of Haunt a listen. It made me laugh a lot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbUVVxoCkBE

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is it best to save Crystal Lake Memories for after watching all 12 F13th movies, as a treat? Or can I jump in earlier? I know it also covers the TV series and I’m definitely not arsed to watch that.

I think I’d seen the majority of NMoeS movies before I did Never Sleep Again, but it was years ago and I’m kinda up for watching NSA too.

It's super loving long just do it in pieces. Its 6 hours and 40 minutes. Like watch a couple of movies then switch over to Crystal Lake Memories and watch it for a bit it adds to the experience I think of enjoying the films. Again though its 6 hours and 40 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

graventy posted:

I hate to ruin this surprise but please give this song from the end credits of Haunt a listen. It made me laugh a lot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbUVVxoCkBE

there is quite literally nothing worse than the "soft piano ballad of popular song" that has pervaded horror movie trailers and soundtracks. I'd rather watch a million Mike Flanagan movies before I have to listen to more of this garbage.