Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I wish upcoming deaths were a little more hinted at, if only for sake of flavor. I know I can hover over the heart icon and see what’s killing me, but it still seems odd to go from elderly man to immediately dead within a day. The game feels centered around storytelling and RP, but death feels like a little too sudden, despite that decision being for balance reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

buglord posted:

The game feels centered around storytelling and RP, but death feels like a little too sudden, despite that decision being for balance reasons.

Agreed. Even some feeble groaning to herald the end would be something. I hope there will be a Reaper's Due equivalent that fleshes out diseases, so to speak.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Oh dear me posted:

Feasting makes you fat, so if your family is skilled and educated in diplomacy they're at risk. Especially if they invite each other to feasts.

There's more to it than that for sure, you have a base weight that shifts up or down based on your feasting/lack thereof. I've played skinny kings who feasted all the time with no problem, and then had a heavier king who never feasts but still gets fat. If you go into debug mode you can see your base weight and target weight and such.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

A God drat Ghost posted:

There's more to it than that for sure, you have a base weight that shifts up or down based on your feasting/lack thereof. I've played skinny kings who feasted all the time with no problem, and then had a heavier king who never feasts but still gets fat. If you go into debug mode you can see your base weight and target weight and such.

When I looked at my lineage after 400 years, it was obvious that once I got my first absolute unit of a king, it was large adult sons all the way to the end

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Trevor Hale posted:

When I looked at my lineage after 400 years, it was obvious that once I got my first absolute unit of a king, it was large adult sons all the way to the end

Interesting, I definitely was skinny for a long time and then got a fat king, and went back to skinny after that. It was rough being the fat king, he was a gregarious reveler who couldn't do feasts and spent his whole life dieting to no effect.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Trying to lose weight is a fool's errand, by the time obesity might come into play shortening your lifespan you should have an heir in a good position to take over

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Trying to lose weight is a fool's errand, by the time obesity might come into play shortening your lifespan you should have an heir in a good position to take over

Forgot what thread this was until the word "heir".

Thought I was reading a real nuclear take.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

Chomp8645 posted:

The CK special.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

buglord posted:

I wish upcoming deaths were a little more hinted at, if only for sake of flavor. I know I can hover over the heart icon and see what’s killing me, but it still seems odd to go from elderly man to immediately dead within a day. The game feels centered around storytelling and RP, but death feels like a little too sudden, despite that decision being for balance reasons.

Most of the time you can get a pretty good idea that death is coming soon when your heart icon says "Poor", as you cannot die of natural causes unless your health is "Poor" or worse. As long as your health is "Fine" or better you're good, but "Poor" or worse gives you a monthly chance to die. It's not exact and sometimes you keel over the same year your health becomes "poor" but it's fairly rare unless you get a big health penalty all at once from a potent disease.

The thing that is strange to me is that "Fine" and "Poor" have the same colored heart, though it's an important distinction and it'd be nice to be able to make it at a glance rather than needing to check the tooltip.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Chomp8645 posted:

A few times a game I scoff at how useless a 32 year old unmarried son is, and then i cry a little

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Blimpkin posted:

A few times a game I scoff at how useless a 32 year old unmarried son is, and then i cry a little

It's ok bro, it's ok.

You matter.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Chomp8645 posted:

It's ok bro, it's ok.

You matter.

Buddy, someone’s got to educate the children of the more successful heirs

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

It's ok bro, it's ok.

You matter.

If his parents have absolute crown authority and have designated another heir, or he's a second son in a primogeniture home, then in fact he does not matter in the slightest

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Koramei posted:

Is there a way to abduct people without being exposed? Or do I just have to eat that malice if I want to do it?

It is impossible to abduct people without being exposed.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I went on a pilgrimage, I have the pilgrim trait, as well as the +2% per knight that you get as well. However, it isn't applying and my monthly piety gain is as lousy as it was before (-0.2 natural due to +0.8 from learning and -1.0 for lustful), or with the bishop doing the piety thing it's still not getting the modifier according to hovering over the number.

Where and when does that get applied?

Edit: It started applying, but only when I had a positive amount of piety from my archbishop doing that task. It didn't before, but maybe I checked it too quick.

Kind of annoying it doesn't apply to the +0.8 from learning, having negative natural piety really kind of sucks.

ssb fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 17, 2020

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

So I just realized you can't build barracks buildings in all terrain; won a crusade for Egypt and figured I'd play over there, but now I have no idea what I'm doing with my MaA setup. It wants me to build orchards for levies but um, no, and I don't really see any other good options. Camelry and light cavalry I guess?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Is there a set of generally agreed settings for maximum performance yet in CK3? I was fine until about 1250 but in 1350 I'm starting to get the usual Paradox Late-Game Slowdown.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

So I just realized you can't build barracks buildings in all terrain; won a crusade for Egypt and figured I'd play over there, but now I have no idea what I'm doing with my MaA setup. It wants me to build orchards for levies but um, no, and I don't really see any other good options. Camelry and light cavalry I guess?

Camelry is a good option, and you can build Regimental Grounds on floodplains.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
Playing as queen of Jerusalem, steadily losing territory to holy wars. Pope calls a crusade to get my land back, I'm immediately invaded by huge stacks that destroy my army, pope's 12k mercenary army are just sitting idle in Rome while I get pillaged and poo poo, nobody shows up, pope cancels crusade ???? Mods?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

It’s really annoying that the pope is still hanging around calling crusades after I united Christendom under Orthodoxy. The crusaders can only muster about 3k troops but it’s actually less than that since the pope is unlanded and can’t raise his troops anywhere. So even though there’s 25k+ troops committed to defending England I have to choose between sending a bunch of troops to England (I’m Carpathia) for the next 10 years while the war score slowly ticks toward 100 (unless there’s some internal war which results in any part of England getting sieged/occupied) or get excommunicated.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

When fighting a huge kingdom war I actually do like to plop a half dozen levy stacks on the border forts while the MAA host pushes forward. Yeah it may take them six months but if the war drags on, hey more warscore

Okay so this discussion was raging a few pages back and I wondered,

How many MAA and bonuses do you need to reliably beat the levy+light MAA doomstacks that the AI sends your way? I had a really successful Hispania game that turned into drag when things got into the empire vs. empire 12 000 stacks so I buy the argument. I guess I just can't intuit from your dicussion at what amount some heavy footmen and bowmen are strong enough to have a mutiplying effect against levies. With the exception of earlygame bowmen supremacy my experiences with MAA's are kinda so and so.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

MiddleOne posted:

Okay so this discussion was raging a few pages back and I wondered,

How many MAA and bonuses do you need to reliably beat the levy+light MAA doomstacks that the AI sends your way? I had a really successful Hispania game that turned into drag when things got into the empire vs. empire 12 000 stacks so I buy the argument. I guess I just can't intuit from your dicussion at what amount some heavy footmen and bowmen are strong enough to have a mutiplying effect against levies. With the exception of earlygame bowmen supremacy my experiences with MAA's are kinda so and so.

I don't have a lot of raw numbers or anything, but I believe the most important things are:

(a) Mono-stacking your buildings as much as you can. So if you're using a mix of Heavy Infantry/Pikemen, this is barracks (with Regimental Grounds on farmland). You're going to start seeing this pay off when your buildings are around level 4~5 I think. If you're in Hispania and for example favoring Caballeros, you can throw in some Hunting Grounds and add Caballeros to the mix without sacrificing much, Hunting Grounds provide as much gold as any low-tier economic building and still buff your Light Cav. This is useful early because you likely won't be strong enough to stack-wipe so having some staying power in the pursuit phase is good, and light cavalry will counter enemy archers.
(b) The innovations that increase your MAA stack size are really, exponentially powerful. Going from Mustering Grounds (+2 size) to Household Soldiers (+3 size) and then Men-at-Arms (+4 size) really makes an impact, with your MAA fully filled out with the High Medieval Innovation "Men at Arms" I think is when you're in full doomstack mode, though they should start carrying you pretty hard before then. This is important because the AI is good about hiring a small amount of MAA but rarely completely fill out their stacks. Fill out your stacks and you should have a decisive advantage.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Oct 17, 2020

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I've had a maxed out MAA stack with supporting duchy building bonuses stackwipe anything up to 30k, beat the everliving poo poo out of anything up to 60k, and only start losing past that.

And, well, if you can afford a maxed out MAA stack, you have a monster amount of levies that can back that doomstack up.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

It's pretty important to keep your domain maxed so that you can have as many buff buildings as possible too, so make sure you've got a plan to keep or reconquer back up to your domain limit after each succession under partition.

toasterwarrior posted:

I've had a maxed out MAA stack with supporting duchy building bonuses stackwipe anything up to 30k, beat the everliving poo poo out of anything up to 60k, and only start losing past that.

And, well, if you can afford a maxed out MAA stack, you have a monster amount of levies that can back that doomstack up.

This is the best result I've gotten thus far (non-NK mode), but that's late medieval era with level 8 buildings and Standing Armies innovation. And it wasn't quite maxed out as I didn't have a second blacksmith and still had some Sahel Horsemen (which didn't benefit from any duchy building). I think you can probably start earlier than that though, High Medieval is where things really start to get powerful.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Those champions each killing on average 75 enemies during the battle :allears:

True Dynasty Warriors in action

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Created my new Christian faith with esotericism, communal identity, and unrelenting faith. Witchcraft accepted, adultery shunned but not criminal for either gender, temporal revocable titles, and a new head of faith that isn't me.

I thought about going for lay clergy, but it meant that I would have to grant all my temple holdings to low nobles who would probably never upgrade the temples, while my vassals would see massive gains in power since they're not at their domain limits. I think that was the right call. I tried it both ways and it nearly doubled some of their power, which I don't really want.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I finally created the empire of Russia, having a ruler with amazing learning was enough to reform the faith and stay alive long enough to conquer enough counties to found the empire. Some questions:

- I gave the kingdoms that already were created to my children, kept those though that have personal holdings of mine. Can I give out this kingdom title to someone too or will I lose my holdings?
- My current heir has no positive traits, i'm in 966 and still feudal so no "heir of choice" for me. Would it be worth to spend the renown to disinherit him? It will pick the next oldest child in line I guess?
- My heir will keep the emperor title, but will I retain all the vassals?

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

MikeC posted:

Is being a fatty secretly a congenital trait?

Now I really want a game as a fat, lazy king who just incompetently stumbles around conquering the world and no-one has any idea how he's doing it.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I've finally come to the point where I start missing the old ruler designer and different starting points.

Got a 867 start in the one free county on Corsica with the aim to be really insular (literally) and never go farther than the full Sardinian kingdom. It has everything going for it: two duchies, 8 counties, room for really no more than 9 castles — perfect for some very minor NK mode ownership with low-skilled characters but well within the realm of possibility to control fully with a stewardship-focused one. It even has its own culture for total development control, and getting rid of outside claimants is relatively easy. For extra bonus points, the count himself comes with his own… special… features. Everything is great and I recommend it as a more low-key for any time anyone isn't trying to paint the whole map, and instead just want to flip-flop between the many kingdoms (and later empires) that come and go.

Only real problem is, it's just one start — a second run would only be just that, and being able to vary the circumstances a bit more than just fracturing everything would be welcome. Oh well…

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Tippis posted:

I've finally come to the point where I start missing the old ruler designer and different starting points.

Got a 867 start in the one free county on Corsica with the aim to be really insular (literally) and never go farther than the full Sardinian kingdom. It has everything going for it: two duchies, 8 counties, room for really no more than 9 castles — perfect for some very minor NK mode ownership with low-skilled characters but well within the realm of possibility to control fully with a stewardship-focused one. It even has its own culture for total development control, and getting rid of outside claimants is relatively easy. For extra bonus points, the count himself comes with his own… special… features. Everything is great and I recommend it as a more low-key for any time anyone isn't trying to paint the whole map, and instead just want to flip-flop between the many kingdoms (and later empires) that come and go.

Only real problem is, it's just one start — a second run would only be just that, and being able to vary the circumstances a bit more than just fracturing everything would be welcome. Oh well…
Sicily, specifically 867 Count of Syracusa has those vibes. But you start as a vassal of the Byzantines.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Tippis posted:

If you're not doing Ironman, you can either use a cheat mod or a console command and change your starting ruler's traits and specs and the like.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

shortspecialbus posted:

If you're not doing Ironman, you can either use a cheat mod or a console command and change your starting ruler's traits and specs and the like.

That's true. The count I started with was pretty much perfect from a general CK-screwed-up:ness perspective so that's less of an issue — it's more the environment and the family surrounding him that would be nice to be able to change up a bit more easily. Then again, cutting the line with the dynasty owning the place the way the designer would, would probably ruin a bit of the chaos. :D

As for belonging to Italy as opposed to the Byzantine empire of the Sicilian start mentioned earlier, I think I draw the lucky straw on this play-through. West-Francia managed to stay intact long enough to not just create the Frankish empire, but also somehow got the hooks into the empire of Italia, so there's now this hilarious 30(ish) year cycle of the empire building up and then slapping the Byzantine and Islamic empires all over the place. And then the emperor dies and the two split apart, forcing the next emperor of Italia/Frankia compete for who gets to beat the other first and unify the whole thing so everyone can go back to battling over the Med.

The instability of that setup just entertains me more than being stuck within the overly stable Byzantium.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 17, 2020

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Tippis posted:

That's true. The count I started with was pretty much perfect from a general CK-screwed-up:ness perspective so that's less of an issue — it's more the environment and the family surrounding him that would be nice to be able to change up a bit more easily. Then again, cutting the line with the dynasty owning the place the way the designer would, would probably ruin a bit of the chaos. :D

Yeah it would get slightly tedious changing 20 characters, if that was your goal, and you can't exactly create people super easily, just massively edit them I think.

All that said - your starting ruler is one person, so unless you come with a heir already ready for you like the tutorial island duke, your own character playthrough should generally be pretty different by one or two successions down the road, and as for the rest of the world, the only constants are that HRE and Byzantine become huge.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

buglord posted:

At first it was kind of funny but I seem to have a recurring issue where my wife keeps having sex with my hunchback son and occasionally sister.

Step-Liege, what are you doing step-liege? They're probably just getting stuck in the arrowslits or something.

So the Pope's got it out for me, Crusade is a comin'. Can I stop it by seizing the Pope's homelands? Or do I just have to eat it?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I want to make a messed-up Christian sect, something with like female priests and human sacrifice or the like. A real backwoods cult/"something has gone seriously wrong here" vibe. Where would be a good place to start in to pull this off so I won't get immediately stomped? I'm thinking Ireland 1066 or the above-mentioned Corsican count.

Doesn't necessarily have to be Christians I suppose but that would be more fun.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Ireland is already Insular so the catholics already dislike you somewhat, so they're as safe as any. Otherwise I'd suggest you might be able to get away with it as Poland or something since you can be beefy enough to fend off the HRE after a few years or so if you look at their MAA and focus specifically on counters for it. You can outmatch their levies in 20 years too if you focus on it. The downside of Poland is lots of vassals right off the bat to convert or have hate you.

If you manage to upset everyone enough to get a crusade or something though, good luck.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Yet another thing they need to bring back is secret religions/false conversions. Start your own polyamourous incestuous cult, then get holy war-ed when you fail a recruitment and someone goes running to the pope to tattle on you.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
False conversions are already in the game, but it's a tenet so only some religions have it - the Krstjani and some of the Shia faiths (they call it Taqiya), for example.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Moon Slayer posted:

I want to make a messed-up Christian sect, something with like female priests and human sacrifice or the like. A real backwoods cult/"something has gone seriously wrong here" vibe. Where would be a good place to start in to pull this off so I won't get immediately stomped? I'm thinking Ireland 1066 or the above-mentioned Corsican count.

Doesn't necessarily have to be Christians I suppose but that would be more fun.

Insular is the best for this kind of shenanigans, for two reasons:

1) the Ecumenism and Pastoral Isolation doctrine and tenet minimize the impact of doctrinal drift from your fellow Christians, and
2) it's super easy to conquer two or three holy sites and maximize those sweet Fervor and stat bonuses.

Plus, it already has a slightly creepy backwoods feel!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Quorum posted:

Insular is the best for this kind of shenanigans, for two reasons:

1) the Ecumenism and Pastoral Isolation doctrine and tenet minimize the impact of doctrinal drift from your fellow Christians, and
2) it's super easy to conquer two or three holy sites and maximize those sweet Fervor and stat bonuses.

Plus, it already has a slightly creepy backwoods feel!

To add to this, being Insular shields you from crusades, but you can conduct your own to control the two holy sites you need to form a head of faith title, if that's the sort of thing you're after.