Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I'm having a really weird problem with Doom 2016-- the game has decide to cap the framerate at 60fps out of nowhere for absolutely no reason. I have a 144hz monitor, and no combination of borderless/full screen and vsync settings are letting me actually get a high frame rate out of the game. I was getting a high refresh rate the last time I played this game as far as I know, and I don't know if it took an update that's changed something or what, but this is frustrating.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled, changed down to High from Ultra, installed the latest drivers from Nvidia and nothing, ugh. I don't even see an option in the game settings to dictate a refresh rate. Anybody else see this? Googling gets a lot of old posts across various boards with people going "ARE YOU SURE YOUR MONITOR IS SET TO THE RIGHT REFRESH RATE" and that's unhelpful.

It's not my pc as I'm seeing a high refresh rate in Shadow Warrior 2, :shrug:

OKAY SO STARTING THE MISSION OVER ON A DIFFERENT GAME FILE HAS FIXED IT, BACK TO 200 FPS

What the gently caress, id.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
What’s a good shoot mans game that is cheap/ on sale frequently that isn’t also dead?

No thanks on Destiny 2.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Look Sir Droids posted:

What’s a good shoot mans game that is cheap/ on sale frequently that isn’t also dead?

No thanks on Destiny 2.

Division 2 IMO

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Soul Glo posted:

I'm having a really weird problem with Doom 2016-- the game has decide to cap the framerate at 60fps out of nowhere for absolutely no reason. I have a 144hz monitor, and no combination of borderless/full screen and vsync settings are letting me actually get a high frame rate out of the game. I was getting a high refresh rate the last time I played this game as far as I know, and I don't know if it took an update that's changed something or what, but this is frustrating.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled, changed down to High from Ultra, installed the latest drivers from Nvidia and nothing, ugh. I don't even see an option in the game settings to dictate a refresh rate. Anybody else see this? Googling gets a lot of old posts across various boards with people going "ARE YOU SURE YOUR MONITOR IS SET TO THE RIGHT REFRESH RATE" and that's unhelpful.

It's not my pc as I'm seeing a high refresh rate in Shadow Warrior 2, :shrug:

OKAY SO STARTING THE MISSION OVER ON A DIFFERENT GAME FILE HAS FIXED IT, BACK TO 200 FPS

What the gently caress, id.

That sounds like maybe there's some hidden setting that got saved in the other file or something? Could try this setting in the nvidia control panel to override it maybe:

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Morter posted:

Division 2 IMO

Forgot to add good multiplayer and/or co-op too.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
It's almost all about co-op. There's nothing you're mandated to do single player, and there's no forced PvP. A great balance, I think

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

chglcu posted:

That sounds like maybe there's some hidden setting that got saved in the other file or something? Could try this setting in the nvidia control panel to override it maybe:

I dunno, I swear I went through everything in there too, but whatever, it’s fixed now.

I even dove into the game files but couldn’t find a config anywhere in my Steam files for it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Morter posted:

It's almost all about co-op. There's nothing you're mandated to do single player, and there's no forced PvP. A great balance, I think
Division 2 definitely has that, it's pretty good.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012

Look Sir Droids posted:

No thanks on Destiny 2.

As a recent convert, get breakpoint. You can try the demo on Uplay beforehand, but it works great for me.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Speaking of Breakpoint, I'm treating this as a general graphics settings for games post, because i'm confused about this:

In both Ghost Recon: Breakpoint (illustrated below) and Horizon: Zero Dawn, I have an issue where light shafts get pixelly/blocky shadows amidst them. I tried googling but I can't get a solid answer. In Breakpoint in particular, everything is Very High except for Volumetric Fog--which is on low, because for some reason in Ubisoft games (GRB. AC Odyssey, The Division 2), they tank my FPS. However what's odd is if you look at the gif, you'll notice that the light coming out of the source directly is not having that same issue, so I'm not entirely sure it's the fog setting.

https://i.imgur.com/T3uoRtV.mp4

Can someone help me figure out what settings would cause this? I'm almost certain it's on my main Radeon Software program somewhere but I never know what to look for.

Edit: Found my Horizon Zero Dawn post where I even changed the cloud settings to full there, to no avail.

Morter fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 17, 2020

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Look Sir Droids posted:

Forgot to add good multiplayer and/or co-op too.

Check out Intruder. It's got a small but dedicated cult following and it had been going strong for several years pre-steam. The multiplayer will probably survive as long as any current AAA shootman game.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Morter posted:

Speaking of Breakpoint, I'm treating this as a general graphics settings for games post, because i'm confused about this

That's volumetric fog so... it looks bad because you have it on low :v:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I played through the Raji prologue today, and I think it's worth checking out. There's some influence from God of War but there's more of an emphasis on dodging and acrobatics in combat than there is straight brutality.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
loving hell the end of Death Stranding just goes on and on and on. It almost retroactively ruins the fun parts of the game just by being so... dull? After a while I just stopped paying attention and was just on my phone the whole time. Amelie is the absolute worst.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

repiv posted:

That's volumetric fog so... it looks bad because you have it on low :v:

So I turned on Volumetric Fog onto high and was surprised it didn't murder my FPS, so I might keep it on. Still, though, there's a weird...behavior with light shafts, including this one:

https://i.imgur.com/ZSvXdti.mp4

I feel like this isn't a standard issue, and despite there being a large light source above it that's not having issues, this is.

Morter fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 17, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Do you have image sharpening cranked up? You might be seeing some color banding because of it.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Dunno where else I'd see it but in my Radeon software, it's disabled. I did see something in the GRB options for "Fidelity Sharpening" which I disabled but the same issue persists.

I guess I just want to know what exactly this graphics setting/function is. God rays? Light shafts? Some type of shadowing?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Does Breakpoint have an HDR toggle? This looks almost exactly like a graphics glitch I used to get in Dragon's Dogma and turning off HDR fixed it for that.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Warhammer: Mechanicus is :10bux: this weekend.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Look Sir Droids posted:

No thanks on Destiny 2.

Borderlands 2

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Cardiovorax posted:

Does Breakpoint have an HDR toggle? This looks almost exactly like a graphics glitch I used to get in Dragon's Dogma and turning off HDR fixed it for that.

I apparently don't have hardware that supports it:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

Warhammer: Mechanicus is :10bux: this weekend.

Is there anything special or unique to it or is it just a decent W40K XCOM?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

pentyne posted:

I've been playing it for free and while it's pretty fun, I think I'd get bored with it pretty quickly. There's lots of different build paths for your techpriests but there's no cover system so in true 40k fashion people just stand there and blast away at each other, although there is some line of sight, on a lot of maps it doesn't matter.

The campaign reminds me a bit of DoW2 and XCOM -- the campaign lasts a finite amount of time, and you're encouraged to move quickly and take as little time as possible during missions. Each mission rewards you with new blueprints for weapons, items, troop options, and upgrades. There's no % to hit as well, but enemies have armour and other abilities that can frustrate your ability to do damage. The mechanic where you don't know an enemy's HP/armour until your scan them or some other way of gathering intel is kinda neat.

The resource system you gather during battle is pretty fun, and keeps you focused on trying to balance building resources while figuring out how to best squeeze out as many attacks as you can. You can also just go all out with one character as long as they still have weapons that they can shoot/swing. But I don't know if it really has the replayability of a XCOM. Good soundtrack though.

Still it's only :10bux:

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 17, 2020

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I thought i was going to like Noita, but man, i refunded it about a half hour in. I don't know why, i play a lot of roguelikes, but this one just didn't grab me

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

pentyne posted:

It has an absolutely amazing soundtrack and great sound design. It absolutely nails the atmosphere. Listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZksH2sIQdJ8

I'd compare it to Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak. Not in terms of gameplay, but because while the gameplay isn't exceptional for its genre, it just oozes atmosphere. I like it a lot.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It always threw me off how much a bunch of tech priests could just tank gauss flayer shots like it wasn't that big of a deal but the alternative would be a very different game to actually play so I just sort of accepted it.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mechanicus seems fun but I'm on like the 3rd mission and have guns that do 1-2 damage and there's 12 loving necron warriors and a deathmark, what the gently caress is this

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Borderlands 2

If you're going to play a Borderlands at this point, play Borderlands 3. The story is obnoxious in all of them and the third one has the most quality of life features and the best gamefeel. And the loot drop rate isn't absolute dogshit. It's like going from Diablo 2 to (current) Diablo 3

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Yeah, BL3 is pretty solid in terms of gameplay and feel, but turn off dialogue volume, skip all dialogue you can and find a book to read when there's an unskippable cutscene. I'm very happy I played the game, but I cannot describe how much the story and all the characters suck absolute poo poo and feel like a bunch of drama kids setting up a play they think is super cool when it's actually intensely lame.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Sonel posted:

Dawn of war talk had me look up if 2 was on sale and you can get 2, chaos rising and retribution for $13 https://store.steampowered.com/sub/44367/ .
:hmmyes: This is a pretty good deal.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

On the plus side, being intensely lame and fake-cool has always kinda been Borderlands' thing, so it's not all that much worse by comparison and if you were able to tolerate the other two you won't find this one unbearable either.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm possibly late on the Mechanicus talk, but for me the game is a 'pass on it, tragically'. The gfx are decent, and they really sell the Gothic atmosphere, which the soundtrack absolutely knocks out of the park. Game drips sci-fi noir. The trouble is the actual gameplay itself: a lot of X-com and their spinoffs suffer from a downwards difficulty curve, and mechanicus takes it to a whole new level; your squad quickly scales into overkill status, the missions become a bore, and worst off you notice the enemies barely have anything resembling an AI; all they do is shuffle forwards until in weapon range, then attack then closest guy they can see.

As I said, tragic. I had 27 hours in it and didn't bother finishing the campaign, there was no point.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Borderlands 3 has very good shooting but seems to have fallen into something similar to Diablo 3 where the only matchmaking is for certain activities and difficulties, because as somebody who just finished the campaign and wants to start on the cool postgame stuff I'm finding it impossible to matchmake for the various coliseums and dungeons.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Antigravitas posted:

It has an absolutely amazing soundtrack and great sound design. It absolutely nails the atmosphere. Listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZksH2sIQdJ8
Not disagreeing, but I'd also like to see developers take more risks when it comes to music (and maybe everything else too) and 40K.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGmmXd8r4YQ

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Rebel Blob posted:

Not disagreeing, but I'd also like to see developers take more risks when it comes to music and 40K.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGmmXd8r4YQ

This is one of the best trailers, unfortunately it's for a game that's merely resoundingly okay.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Has anyone played Crown Trick? It looks like a really neat roguelite.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Xarbala posted:

This is one of the best trailers, unfortunately it's for a game that's merely resoundingly okay.

Come to think of it, the cutscenes in Necromunda take a lot from Deathwing's trailer. It's the same Matrix, bullet-time, camera-swiveling. None of the crazy music though.

It's unfortunately another game that's not too good.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Serephina posted:

I'm possibly late on the Mechanicus talk, but for me the game is a 'pass on it, tragically'. The gfx are decent, and they really sell the Gothic atmosphere, which the soundtrack absolutely knocks out of the park. Game drips sci-fi noir. The trouble is the actual gameplay itself: a lot of X-com and their spinoffs suffer from a downwards difficulty curve, and mechanicus takes it to a whole new level; your squad quickly scales into overkill status, the missions become a bore, and worst off you notice the enemies barely have anything resembling an AI; all they do is shuffle forwards until in weapon range, then attack then closest guy they can see.

As I said, tragic. I had 27 hours in it and didn't bother finishing the campaign, there was no point.

Okay, how the hell do I kill anything early game? Necrons have 12 HP and sometimes 1 armor and my guns do 1-2 damage.

I have no doubt it gets easy but this is absurd.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Man, Age of Empires III Definitive Edition is one of the most broken full release games I've encountered in a long time. the backgrounds in the menu don't load and I get a CTD whenever I try to start a game, on a recently built machine. Spent a while trying to troubleshoot it based on google but no luck. Really takes me back, feels like I downloaded this thing off limewire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Fargin Icehole posted:

I thought i was going to like Noita, but man, i refunded it about a half hour in. I don't know why, i play a lot of roguelikes, but this one just didn't grab me

I personally enjoyed it much more once I started blatantly cheating, it has a shitload of fun tools that I was dying before I could access. Just to name one example, the tentacle spell generates HUGE amounts of blood and you can hit yourself with it, so combine it with vampirism and you can recharge your health at will by drinking lakes of your own blood.

I’m just pissed that it crashed and erased my save right before the true ending, gently caress having to do the Ice/Sand Caves ever again.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 18, 2020