Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Hadlock posted:

Yeah you can stack a new wifi system on top of an existing router. You'd just plug the mesh router into one of the open ports on the g1100. No problem. At my old house we had some comcast thing which I never bothered setting up the router/wifi, I just plugged in my OnHub (v1 nest router) to the router and used the wifi from the OnHub and it worked great, especially since we were renting at the time and whenever we moved, all the devices are already setup with the onhub's ssid/password. The new mesh stuff will just consume that port as if it's talking to a modem.

Is double NAT less of a problem than it used to be? Or did you set up DHCP so it wasn't a double NAT situation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.

Bioshuffle posted:

Unfortunately, the whole "Google constantly listens and records what you say" thing was a deal breaker for my partner.

I tried to bring up the fact that our phone does it too, but I had made the mistake of showing them the articles about how Google has people who listen to your recorded audio for voice recognition purposes.

I guess I'll never live in a smart home.

Get a Homey or a Homeseer device...there are plenty of available devices that can run things locally mate.

I personally use a ton of echo's(mixed, from dots up to studios), and have a homeseer Pro4 as my backup in case the internet goes off...I have been seriously looking at homey though. It looks to be a simpler option but getting shipping to the US is an utter nightmare.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Is double NAT less of a problem than it used to be? Or did you set up DHCP so it wasn't a double NAT situation?

Double nat is only an issue if you need port forwarding into your network, which 99.9[...]9 people don't need. It is simultaneously less of an issue as more services do centralized brokering of connections, and people generally shouldn't have been opening ports anyways so it's a great thing. :v:

Hadlock posted:

Yeah you can stack a new wifi system on top of an existing router. You'd just plug the mesh router into one of the open ports on the g1100. No problem. At my old house we had some comcast thing which I never bothered setting up the router/wifi, I just plugged in my OnHub (v1 nest router) to the router and used the wifi from the OnHub and it worked great, especially since we were renting at the time and whenever we moved, all the devices are already setup with the onhub's ssid/password. The new mesh stuff will just consume that port as if it's talking to a modem.

Make sure to turn off the wifi, unplug the antennas if you can't disable it, and not plug anything into your main router, just the mesh system. You can also setup a mesh system, hopefully, to bridge mode in lieu of not plugging things into your router.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I've been doing what I described since at least 2012, probably 2008

Not plugging extra poo poo into the modem/base router is probably a wise idea

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Double nat isn’t an issue anymore? When did that happen? Still a problem with Xbox / Playstations in my experience, which isn’t exactly a 0.01% condition.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

sellouts posted:

Double nat isn’t an issue anymore? When did that happen? Still a problem with Xbox / Playstations in my experience, which isn’t exactly a 0.01% condition.

Do those devices that make you pay monthly for online play still not do remotely hosted games? :laffo:

How does that work for people on cgnat?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I have no idea and don’t know anyone on cgnat.

I do know people who have issues with party weirdness in some games on PlayStation and Xbox they was resolved by fixing double nat, though. Maybe it’s a thing of the past though.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

sellouts posted:

I have no idea and don’t know anyone on cgnat.

I do know people who have issues with party weirdness in some games on PlayStation and Xbox they was resolved by fixing double nat, though. Maybe it’s a thing of the past though.

I don't have either system so I have no clue I just assumed that every one had resolved that like 5-10 years ago when you had to start paying protection money to use your console online.

(I have a switch and play such heavy hitters as Mario 35, smm2, etc.)

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
I'm not sure $3 a month is protection racket levels when you get two free games a month as well.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
This is a pretty simple question. Currently I've got a TP-Link AC1750 wifi router hooked up to my cable modem. I'm going to be running an ethernet cable upstairs, through the wall, which will plug in to a little TP-Link 5 port switch.

Does the cable modem need to be plugged into a particular port on my router? Does the switch need to be plugged into a particular port on my router? I'm not incredibly knowledgeable about these things. Do I need a patch cable or a regular cable for the router-->switch connection?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sneeze Party posted:

This is a pretty simple question. Currently I've got a TP-Link AC1750 wifi router hooked up to my cable modem. I'm going to be running an ethernet cable upstairs, through the wall, which will plug in to a little TP-Link 5 port switch.

Does the cable modem need to be plugged into a particular port on my router? Does the switch need to be plugged into a particular port on my router? I'm not incredibly knowledgeable about these things. Do I need a patch cable or a regular cable for the router-->switch connection?

- Does the cable modem need to be plugged into a particular port on my router?

Yes, it's probably a different color, or has a globe icon or says "INTERNET"

- Does the switch need to be plugged into a particular port on my router?

No

- I'm not incredibly knowledgeable about these things. Do I need a patch cable or a regular cable for the router-->switch connection?

Any cable will work. There used to be a thing called crossover cables from the days of yore, but the last time I saw one was in 1999. Any cat 5 or higher cable will work

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

The modem goes into the “WAN” or “Internet” port. The switch can do into any other open port, but if your switch has an “uplink” port you should use that. I strongly suspect those ports are auto MDI-X and you can plug in any cable, but I don’t see anything on their website. Normally router<>switch would be straight-thru.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
Awesome, that's what I thought. I appreciate the help.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Halle-loving-lujah, someone else is also pissed off at Ubiquiti and wanted alternatives. Wendell over at Level 1 Techs seems to be getting on the EnGenius hardware stack. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G2g7Txgzgw

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Halle-loving-lujah, someone else is also pissed off at Ubiquiti and wanted alternatives. Wendell over at Level 1 Techs seems to be getting on the EnGenius hardware stack. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G2g7Txgzgw

Wendell is great and wonderful.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
I just invested a bunch into Ubiquiti stack, edge+unifi+protect did i make a bad decision lol

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Sniep posted:

I just invested a bunch into Ubiquiti stack, edge+unifi+protect did i make a bad decision lol

it should be fine

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Yeah, after seemingly endless Ubiquiti talk in this thread a few months back, I pulled the trigger on a nanoHD for my new house. Came back to find a lot of new criticism about the brand. Oh well.

I don't love the "Controller" nonsense, but it seems to be a decent AP so far.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
is all the criticism about that dream machine thing cuz i didnt get one of those, im doing it piecemeal with edge on the internet side and house wiring then cams/APs/etc user space on unifi

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ubiquiti stuff is quite good. There's a reason it's the most talked about hardware in the thread. There are some legitimate criticisms, but I imagine most of us who like their gear aren't dropping by to argue every time someone has a complaint about it.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Sniep posted:

is all the criticism about that dream machine thing cuz i didnt get one of those, im doing it piecemeal with edge on the internet side and house wiring then cams/APs/etc user space on unifi

the dream machines are the ones that were released with some really half-baked software, yeah. i have an edge for the router and unifi for the AP too, and it's all solid

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I'd really like to hear about the issues with the UDM Pro that is frequently brought up. It's been a rock-solid experience for me so far. Any issues that I've had have been with my misunderstanding of how to use it from someone who is a novice to lower intermediate at network management.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

TraderStav posted:

I'd really like to hear about the issues with the UDM Pro that is frequently brought up. It's been a rock-solid experience for me so far. Any issues that I've had have been with my misunderstanding of how to use it from someone who is a novice to lower intermediate at network management.

I've had the same experience, but with the normal UDM. Just one oddity with port forwarding which was an issue with the controller app.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

From what I've been half-heartedly paying attention to, the -PRO is more stable than the consumer one.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Also checking in with a UDM pro... I had the same misgivings in this thread about ubiquiti right after ordering.

I’m glad I got it... it’s been rock solid and I’m very happy with it. I’ve been setting up tons of vlans for our IoT and containers and such. I also have an ap ac lite and recently got another UniFi managed switch.

It’s all worked flawlessly... But I will say that it’s the only technological device I have set to NOT auto update firmware. While I’m now running the latest, I’m holding back on the controller software and am still on 5.14 or whatever.
And I’m one of those people who actually clicks the “check for updates” button in windows

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Sniep posted:

I am probably the most vocal person about how angry I am with Ubiquiti at the moment.

They're branching their product lines again, which, in my opinion, corresponds to a famine period for Ubiquiti. What currently exists will be fine, as far as .ac/5 wireless goes, but .ax/6 is nowhere on the loving horizon for Ubiquiti while everyone else is churning out Wifi 6 devices as fast as they can. Instead, they just launched some doorbells, new cameras, a network-connected access controller, and, a couple of months ago, told everyone who was previously using their old cameras, "hey, your old setup is getting EOLed in a month, sorry!"

And the UDM/UDM Pro rollouts were... less than stellar. You ever see a product that was dead before it even launched? Ubiquiti has a history of this. The rackmount device is fine, but the other one? They're going to shitcan the buttplug router. I can feel it in my bones. It's a consumer-shaped product for prosumers that doesn't fit anywhere into a prosumer's existing infrastructure. (Who either has a structured media enclosure or a rack, how the hell is anyone going to fit that stupid suppository into a wall?) And if you care enough about your network to buy Unifi, yeah, you're firmly in prosumer territory now. At any rate, if they wanted to make a consumer device, why they hell was it Unifi, and not Amplifi? At any rate, I tried it, found out you couldn't even set the drat thing up to operate as a dumb switch without first logging into a Ubiquiti account, and sent the loving thing back so goddamn fast you wouldn't even believe. (In this day and age when so many goddamn things are *aaS, I hold even tighter to the aphorism, "If you cannot bootstrap it from ground zero while disconnected from the internet, YOU DON'T ACTUALLY OWN IT.")

Anyways, there's now this gap where if you want to do anything interesting with Unifi things, (beyond the standard goon-approved Edge router and Unifi AP) you need to have a UDM Pro, with no provisions for a smaller device that you can fit into the aforementioned structured media enclosure. You know, that kind of size of device. (I'm also not entirely convinced that the Edge line will survive 2021, the hardware is aging, and Ubiquiti seems to really want to leverage all their brand recognition behind the Apple-like appearance of their Unifi line.)

So yeah. Ubiquiti seems to be resting on their laurels a bit, rather than innovating where their existing customer base is, and rather than continuing development for their existing userbase, they've moved into access control and security. It feels like Apple, in a lot of ways, except Apple doesn't let you pay for the privilege of beta-testing their hardware. (Or at least, doesn't do it quite nearly as condescendingly as Ubiquiti seems to do it.) I think they feel like they have a captive userbase (Like, who the gently caress are you going to go with that's no Ubiquiti? Cisco Meraki? HA.) that won't leave them as soon as they find alternatives.

And that's why I'm excited to see Wendell exploring EnGenius. Dude is about as hardcore IT as it gets, and if he even says it's okay, it's probably actually good, and he's understating things, and if he's *excited*, it's probably REALLY good.

TL;DR, you're fine, just expect some hardware upgrades in the future when Ubiquiti finally gets off their rear end with Wifi 6, and discontinues the Edge line in less than 3 years if they don't start coming out with new products for that line.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Oct 18, 2020

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Apropos of nothing, take the previous post with a grain of salt. Why am I awake at 3 AM in the morning, this heated, bitching about Ubiquiti?

Because my loving AP just gave way.

My goddamn, loving, Unifi AP just gave way.

Like, it was locked into the ceiling mount clip, and I know it was locked in there, because I locked it in there, and I heard the loving thing go "click", and I tried to unscrew it and it didn't come out, and it's so god drat loving hot out here in this house that the adhesive cable cover things that I have routing the ethernet cable for it, the adhesive turned to goo and fell off the wall, and it TOOK THE GODDAMN AP WITH IT.

THAT "CRACK" SOUND I HEARD THAT WOKE ME UP WAS THE SOUND OF MY UNIFI AP PULLING OFF THE BRACKET, WHICH IS STILL STUCK IN THE CEILING, AND HITTING A TILE FLOOR, CRACKING THE CASING OPEN.

Spare me the usual jokes about goon home renovation, I'm mad and yeah, I'm doing some, I got family moving in because COVID got them broke.

I knew that loving bracket wasn't going anywhere, I used the GOOD drywall anchors, not the poo poo that came in the box. More fool me.

In case you were wondering how the casing was constructed, that dome is attached to the rest of the casing by four tiny little plastic legs. Because Ubiquiti engineers APs that cook itself to death without ventilation.

In case you were wondering what the inside looks like.

I'm gonna re-mount the loving thing after the superglue has had some more time to cure, and then I'm gonna nail the goddamn channel to the wall, but man, if I can't even loving trust the *clip*?

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Oct 18, 2020

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
😂

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
You didn't click it into place properly. Come on, Ubiquiti is so bad that the AP unscrewed itself and jumped off the wall? Also most electronics have ventilation. You're really reaching, here.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I think I've said I don't think Ubiquiti is a great buy. If you're not willing to tinker, buy a good mesh system and you'll be happier. If you're willing to CJ your home gear, used enterprise gear is the same price and has a better feature set.

Used Cisco APs actually have working 802.11r/band steering/CleanAir/etc -- when I hear Ubiq users recommending separate SSIDs or turning off 2.4 in TYOOL 2020 I shake my head a bit because that stuff should just work. I paid <$500 for 3 3802is.

Similarly, OPNSense/PFSense are far more capable fw/router/VPN head ends and can be run on a <$100 device with IDS/IPS.

Like 4-5 years ago I bought an ER + AP setup for my mom and walked her through setup over the phone, so I know the level of effort is not *that* bad, but the landscape has changed and now I'd get her an Eero/Google Wifi/etc now in a heartbeat. Come to think of it, her setup probably needs security patches :(

It's certainly better than the Nighthawks and Archers of the world, but I think there are usually better options.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
As Ubiquiti anecdote: I've recommended and/or helped set up 5x Unifi setups (generally USG + UAPs + CloudKey + a switch or two) for family/friends over the past 4-5 years or so, plus my own ER + Unifi AP setup at home.

I've generally found them to be great, once installed. They perform well and are reliable. People are super happy with them, especially coming from non-mesh wireless setups.

One AP (an -HD mounted inside a drop ceiling) did mysteriously die after a year or two of service (out of warranty period so SOL).

I agree that these new product releases look kinda stupid and I'm excited for more competition. But folks who just bought a bunch of Ubnt stuff probably won't be sad.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

LRADIKAL posted:

You didn't click it into place properly. Come on, Ubiquiti is so bad that the AP unscrewed itself and jumped off the wall? Also most electronics have ventilation. You're really reaching, here.

Oh no, I'm punching at them for previously engineering APs that literally cooked themselves to death if used 24/7. You know, the way that APs are meant to be used. I'm also punching at them for those tiny little legs instead of say, a mesh, because of their obsession with being the Apple of wifi.

Best as I can figure, yes, the weight of the cable + channel torqued the AP off its mount. Why didn't the retention clip hold it in place? Why does turning it hard enough cause the clip to just rise up over the stop without a tool jammed in there? These are all questions I will figure out later.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I far prefer a PF sense rouiter with Mikrotik APs. More simple and straightforward to setup with a tiny bit of googling. Cloud keys and java are a big gently caress no for me.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I have a Unifi 6 AP and it’s been great so far. System and cameras and poo poo rule. Haven’t installed doorbell yet though. Need the electricians to replace my panel and am having them mount the transformer then.

Love it not being sent to the cloud.

The anger towards ubiquiti and the focus on butt stuff is weird though. I thought it was maybe a one time thing but sounds like it’s A Thing.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

redeyes posted:

I far prefer a PF sense rouiter with Mikrotik APs. More simple and straightforward to setup with a tiny bit of googling. Cloud keys and java are a big gently caress no for me.

You don't need to gently caress with java if you use either a cloud key or a docker controller or the UDMs

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

What's actually wrong with Java (server-side)? Sure, some Java apps are poorly written dumpster fires, but there are plenty of examples of those no matter the language used.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

SamDabbers posted:

What's actually wrong with Java (server-side)? Sure, some Java apps are poorly written dumpster fires, but there are plenty of examples of those no matter the language used.

people who decided they will hate java until the end of time because they couldn't get a java browser game to work that one time in 2001

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Their commercial stuff is fine. Their home stuff they've gone to the lease/Meraki model by using forced remote activation. If they go to a Meraki model with their commercial stuff it will go right in the trash where it belongs.

Also that's hilarious that it fell down. I'm sorry you're stressed out, that sucks.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Coming from Nest, how well does UniFi camera stuff work when not in the home. The Nest app works really well, but obviously a hard wired always on solution is preferable to Cloud and subscriptions. I may migrate my cams over depending on the experience.

May keep the Nest doorbell as I don't think the Nest Aware subscription does much for that provided I have a UniFi camera covering the same area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

TraderStav posted:

Coming from Nest, how well does UniFi camera stuff work when not in the home.

I find the app to work well, and scrubbing through the timeline is very smooth, whether I'm at home or not