Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Carthag Tuek posted:

does anybodys imdb look good right now

Eric Roberts.

Or maybe bad, depending on how many movies being made is too many.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

While it doesn't have much to do with the topic of the thread, one thing that's didn't get enough attention about Rowling was that back when she was trying to keep her newer mystery series under wraps, there was a whole fake bio for "Robert Galbraith" that claimed he was a combat veteran. And while writing under a pseudonym isn't automatically sketchy, it bugged me that her book about an injured veteran originally claimed to be from an actual veteran's perspective.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's like Rowling is going for lovely author bingo.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?

Shageletic posted:

I feel like i'm missing something. Is the tape that came out the one that was in Jan? Did something come out that explicitly shows that Amber lied about the abuse?
The only new thing is that Sia tweeted about it and openly supports Depp now. It's the same tape where Heard admitted to hitting Depp, and verbally abused him in a recording that she made on her own phone.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

Depp was also easily hateable for pissing away an insane fortune in incredibly stupid ways.

Also the whole Lone Ranger fiasco where he thought it was appropriate to play a Native American character.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Vir posted:

The only new thing is that Sia tweeted about it and openly supports Depp now. It's the same tape where Heard admitted to hitting Depp, and verbally abused him in a recording that she made on her own phone.

Ah ok.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

graventy posted:

Almost no one was actually 'cancelled' for #metoo, so why get so worked up about the one false accusation?

I mean metoo got thrown into the trash for loving Joe Biden so yeah it sucks.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

muscles like this! posted:

Also the whole Lone Ranger fiasco where he thought it was appropriate to play a Native American character.

That kinda poo poo I place more blame on the people who thought it was okay to hire him to play a Native American character.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Aside from Weinstein who did it hit the most? Probably Spacey right? Like, Louis CK got to go back to work. Spacey is in hiding and just puts out cryptic videos once a year.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Cosby

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

DrVenkman posted:

Aside from Weinstein who did it hit the most? Probably Spacey right? Like, Louis CK got to go back to work. Spacey is in hiding and just puts out cryptic videos once a year.

At least Spacey stayed away from jail, R Kelly finally got some punishment for his literal decades of gross behavior and abuse and he’s definitely not gonna be coming back.

https://twitter.com/cnn/status/1317257048179048448?s=21

The Cosby stuff kinda predates the actual #MeToo movement that started with Weinstein but I imagine it definitely got the sentences to stick.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

DC Murderverse posted:

At least Spacey stayed away from jail, R Kelly finally got some punishment for his literal decades of gross behavior and abuse and he’s definitely not gonna be coming back.

https://twitter.com/cnn/status/1317257048179048448?s=21

The Cosby stuff kinda predates the actual #MeToo movement that started with Weinstein but I imagine it definitely got the sentences to stick.

Kevin Spacey is an evil man who should probably spend the rest of his life in jail, but R Kelly is like an order of magnitude worse.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Matt Lauer and Charlie Rose are still pretty much cancelled, right?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Overall it was an international movement that lasted for 2-3 years that probably affected fewer than 50 abusers, but the impact of the movement has been felt and we will likely experience a weird, reactionary hyper sexism as a result of it within 2 years.

Except for Stand-Up Comedy, which is probably actually going to become less toxic for a lot longer because the nature of the profession means it’s MUCH easier to just not book a cancelled comedian like Jeff Ross, Chris D’Elia, or Bryan Callen. Anyone less famous than Louis CK is hosed, but the big guys like him and Seinfeld are essentially “too big to fail”.

The music scene, at least in every major city in tuned in to, has also felt the effects and lots of bands lost lovely frontmen in the last couple years, hopefully that becomes the new status quo as well, punk scenes should be safe spaces for women and queer folks.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

What'd Jeff Ross do, don't get me wrong, finding out he's a terrible person would be even less surprising than with Chris D'Elia, but I just hadn't heard anything.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
He likes them young.

https://www.vulture.com/2020/08/jeff-ross-jessica-radtke-alleged-sexual-relationship-at-15.html

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
He talked this 15 year old girl’s parents into letting him date their daughter and groom her for a few years and now she’s speaking out against him.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

He talked this 15 year old girl’s parents into letting him date their daughter and groom her for a few years and now she’s speaking out against him.

I remember being a teenage boy and being casual friends with a couple different girls that dated men in their 30s. At the time I was mostly thinking "no wonder I can't get a date, there's all these dudes with their own car and money stealing the girls" being in my thirties now my main thought is "what the actual gently caress?" I felt weird dating a 21 year old when I was 28 because she still lived in a college dorm.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Bust Rodd posted:

Overall it was an international movement that lasted for 2-3 years that probably affected fewer than 50 abusers, but the impact of the movement has been felt and we will likely experience a weird, reactionary hyper sexism as a result of it within 2 years.

Except for Stand-Up Comedy, which is probably actually going to become less toxic for a lot longer because the nature of the profession means it’s MUCH easier to just not book a cancelled comedian like Jeff Ross, Chris D’Elia, or Bryan Callen. Anyone less famous than Louis CK is hosed, but the big guys like him and Seinfeld are essentially “too big to fail”.

The music scene, at least in every major city in tuned in to, has also felt the effects and lots of bands lost lovely frontmen in the last couple years, hopefully that becomes the new status quo as well, punk scenes should be safe spaces for women and queer folks.

And the whole blowup in EVO of all places where a truly ridiculous amount of sex pests (mostly Smash Bros players) getting exposed up to the actual manager of EVO that ended up getting the whole thing cancelled. (Too bad, it was looking ridiculous given the focus on online meant they had to change up the entire game lineup to games that actually had good netcode, including Mortal Kombat and that one that started as a My Little Pony fangame)

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Skwirl posted:

I remember being a teenage boy and being casual friends with a couple different girls that dated men in their 30s. At the time I was mostly thinking "no wonder I can't get a date, there's all these dudes with their own car and money stealing the girls" being in my thirties now my main thought is "what the actual gently caress?" I felt weird dating a 21 year old when I was 28 because she still lived in a college dorm.

That reminds me of the line that people would use to say to excuse it - "well, girls mature faster than boys," which I think has been used to justify a whole slew of terrible behavior by men.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Cemetry Gator posted:

That reminds me of the line that people would use to say to excuse it - "well, girls mature faster than boys," which I think has been used to justify a whole slew of terrible behavior by men.

Girls mature faster than boys because they have to deal with how disgusting men are

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Boys will be boys.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

i mean, in my anecdotal experience, 97% of HP fans are angry as hell about the situation and are pretty much done giving the franchise any money, and many have moved on to vaguely-similar things like the Percy Jackson books. :shrug: like, JK Rowling being a huge poo poo seems to have basically killed Harry Potter's relevance.

because it's not just that she's a TERF asshat, but her being a TERF asshat has also made people view stuff in the books in a much less charitable light (ie the only asian being named Cho Chang, the goblins being jewish stereotypes, the absolute clunkiness of the gay metaphor with lycanthropy, etc). people can't really divorce the art from the artist because it turns out the art was bad too and they just never noticed.

I always thought that it was supposed to be a metaphor for AIDS. :shrug: I'm with you on the other stuff, though.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Girls mature faster than boys because they have to deal with how disgusting men are

kind of, it’s more like their behavior is policed differently

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

AceOfFlames posted:

I always thought that it was supposed to be a metaphor for AIDS. :shrug:

it's kind of "yes" and that's a lot of the problem

e: like it's an AIDS metaphor, yeah, but it's very specifically a metaphor for being a gay dude with AIDS, and it's the literal only gay representation of any kind in the books other than Dumbledore, who only arguably counts.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 18, 2020

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

it's kind of "yes" and that's a lot of the problem

e: like it's an AIDS metaphor, yeah, but it's very specifically a metaphor for being a gay dude with AIDS, and it's the literal only gay representation of any kind in the books other than Dumbledore, who only arguably counts.

Especially gross when you consider the only other named werewolf in the books is evil and specifically sets out to turn children, and in fact turned the good guy werewolf when he was a young boy :eng101::eng99:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

KitConstantine posted:

Especially gross when you consider the only other named werewolf in the books is evil and specifically sets out to turn children, and in fact turned the good guy werewolf when he was a young boy :eng101::eng99:

Like everything else once Rowling went full terf everything she wrote that was kind of "eh, its clunky but lets assume good faith" was seen in an entirely new light, that being "no she's a bigoted white women wrapping herself in feminism"

I'm not too up on how the UK is handling #metoo but she seems exactly like the kind of person to argue decorum and 'both sides' for tory men accused of misdeeds.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Pretty sure she accused Jeremy Corbyn of being anti-Semitic when in her books the banks are run by hook nosed goblins obsessed with gold.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Her new book about a man who dresses up like a woman to attack women is nine hundred (900) pages long.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Rowling was completely obsessed with hating Jeremy Corbyn. A lot of people were, but she wrote a lot of weird fanfiction on twitter about how terrible and evil he is. At one point she wrote something about how various Potter characters would vote, and apparently Harry was a Corbyn supporter but this was actually supposed to be a dig at Harry about how he's immature. Just very strange stuff.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

JK Rowling probably thinks Margret Thatcher is a feminist icon.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
her endless quest to be the most globally and universally hated British woman since Margaret Thatcher is honestly kind of amusing to me

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Skwirl posted:

JK Rowling probably thinks Margret Thatcher is a feminist icon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G6RF5ChKYQ

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

When #MeToo was building momentum, you could have literally destroyed any man’s career with an anonymous letter

This hasn't happened or been possible at any stage and it's weird that people say it as if it's a known fact.

Bust Rodd posted:

Remember what happened with Aziz Ansari and his famously bad date?

He went quiet for a while then kept making stand up, movies and tv shows?

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Because Depp actually did lose what was left of his career, and if none of the people who actually did horrible poo poo are getting consequences for it, someone who's actually genuinely innocent really loving shouldn't be.

He's had multiple movies come out every year since the story hit. No he loving hasn't. He's just broke because he's a huge dumbass with money.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

...looking at his IMDB, unless they've split Fantastic Beasts 3 into multiple parts, that's the literal only thing he has lined up, and he's had a grand total of one non-indie role (Fantastic Beasts 2) since the shitstorm happened (and very explicitly lost the Jack Sparrow role over it, which was pretty much his golden goose). do you know something we all don't?

e: oh, he did the lead VA role in Sherlock Gnomes, I guess that's also something?

So...he's stopped being in massive blockbusters, aside from the ones he's still in. that isn't 'his career is ruined' and it's super weird to have to say it out loud.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Depp is still in DIOR ads he's ... not starving. I'm pretty sure this story well fade in a year or two and he'll get some good roles again. He's capable of good work when he's not doing gimmicks.

Rowling loving sucks and the hatred towards her is leaking out from online spaces. Twitter is seriously out for her blood, to the point where this is mandatory for Twitter usage:

And that still doesn't block everything! It's overwhelming how much she's despised on there. The Galbraith stuff is just pathological at this point. Just go live in your castle and shut up.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Yeah, Depp definitely has not had his career totally destroyed. Last I heard, he probably was coming back for the new Pirates of the Caribbean, although who knows when or if that's actually going to happen. He's been in some more arty movies recently, one where he plays that photographer who documented Minamata disease in Japan and he was in an adaptation of Waiting For The Barbarians with Robert Pattinson and Mark Rylance. Plus he's still got Fantastic Beasts and he seems to be a Kevin Smith regular now too. Yeah, he's not doing multiple blockbusters a year anymore, but maybe that's a good thing because a lot of those sucked. He was a good, interesting actor once, so maybe he'll go back to that. Plus like someone else said, he had a pretty big drinking problem for a while, which probably made him a liability and participated a lot in his decline.

Honestly, when it comes to people who have had their careers totally destroyed by #MeToo, only Spacey, Weinstein, and R. Kelly come to mind. Cosby too, but those allegations had been out there for years. It seems like most of the other guys just laid low for a while and then started back up again without too much trouble.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Depp is also nearing 60 so it's not unreasonable that he's no longer a blockbuster mega star. He's honestly had a pretty good run.

He's still a big draw for a lot of people, I'd put him near, but below, Tom Cruise or Keanu Reeves as the sort of actor referred to like "i'm going to see the new [actor name] movie".

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Al Franken got MeToo’d as well.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I think liberal wine moms going knives out on Kirsten Gillibrand was the canary in the coal mine for the death of the #metoo movement. Considering this, it's no surprise that a majority of Dem voters didn't really care about the Tara Reade allegations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

inferis posted:

kind of, it’s more like their behavior is policed differently

This really is a lot of it. Came to mind that autism may be under-diagnosed in women because girls are subject to much more intense social education from a very young age, as well as being neat and quiet just being considered a well-behaved girl, while boys are basically thrown into the playground with 'Eh, they'll figure it out' and people are surprised when they turn weird in adulthood when they spent most of their lives being raised like a neglected pet you buy electronics for to keep them quiet.