Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1SEEMkc-qw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNzWuEYQpFA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVnoNpncfh0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
https://youtu.be/jbAe9iFPJtU

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

https://youtu.be/UrZ6ahNTYjw

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHet-9kJvtk

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUKCQfLY7nQ

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Maybe they can get Weezer to cover “Everyone’s Gone to the Movies” and get some 21st century radio play.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
IIRC old seventies rock bands can be kind of assholes to deal with re: sampling and covers and such.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
surprised to see how much they have been sampled. poo poo.

peg is the goddamn jam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI7NDDQLvbo

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
glad to see we've all aged to the point where steely Dan is our favourite band. and yes peg is absolutely the poo poo. And deacon blues

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Steely Dan took Lord Tariq for every last cent on that song. They’d made the song for mixtapes without bothering to license it and it blew up sooooooo

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

they (well, just Fagen now) are known to be very picky about giving sample clearance and if they say yes they demand a ton of money up front and a co-writing credit giving them potentially an equal share of the publishing forever.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

my favorite sample, a much more interesting part to take out of context for Black Cow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdgOxiiwwNs

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Yeah right, gently caress steely Dan. No hip hop artists should be giving them a nickel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaEIC-2wybQ

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
I also think hip hop artists should sample more dildos, seems like there's a huge, quality selection everywhere these days. 2020's not got a great reputation, but if we're diligent I think we can make it the year of the dildo easy peezy.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
all Steely Dan samples are good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzHLTy33qWM

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Doesn't Peter Gunz have like 20 kids? Lol

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Fagan and Becker loving suck for what they demanded of Tariq and Gunz. For such self-proclaimed industry outsiders they sure loving love that money and being bitter assholes.

Also their music is tedious as gently caress in general and was terribly recorded, and the so-called genius of "we used good studio musicians!!!" is about as exciting as it sounds, and it blows when you put absolutely zero low end in your music because you're too much of a narcissist to not put all the guitar and keyboards at the front of the mix. No wonder they sampled it for Uptown because the bass drum is almost inaudible on Black Cow and even on headphones it's pure treble.

If you wanted to listen to actual good jazz production from the same time period, just listen to George Benson, or if you want well produced pop rock you might as well just listen to ELO. Steely Dan is like a worse fusion of the two.

This has been my very negative and ranting review of Steely Dan, two people I will never meet. Thank you and my God bless your mess.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Puppy Galaxy posted:

they (well, just Fagen now) are known to be very picky about giving sample clearance and if they say yes they demand a ton of money up front and a co-writing credit giving them potentially an equal share of the publishing forever.

Ironically I think Keith Jarrett only asked for a credit when they stole the title track from Gaucho from him.

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

This baby is off the charts

AHH F/UGH posted:

Fagan and Becker loving suck for what they demanded of Tariq and Gunz. For such self-proclaimed industry outsiders they sure loving love that money and being bitter assholes.

Also their music is tedious as gently caress in general and was terribly recorded, and the so-called genius of "we used good studio musicians!!!" is about as exciting as it sounds, and it blows when you put absolutely zero low end in your music because you're too much of a narcissist to not put all the guitar and keyboards at the front of the mix. No wonder they sampled it for Uptown because the bass drum is almost inaudible on Black Cow and even on headphones it's pure treble.

If you wanted to listen to actual good jazz production from the same time period, just listen to George Benson, or if you want well produced pop rock you might as well just listen to ELO. Steely Dan is like a worse fusion of the two.

This has been my very negative and ranting review of Steely Dan, two people I will never meet. Thank you and my God bless your mess.

Yeah but also Ricky don't lose that number is a very catchy little tune even if song for my father is better in every conceivable way

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.
Does hip hop really need that many add9 chords?

e: Well this is rather on the nose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnlLNzhIroM

Stex T fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 17, 2020

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

AHH F/UGH posted:

terribly recorded
:milk:

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

AHH F/UGH posted:

“steely Dan’s music was terribly recorded” is quite a hot take

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Puppy Galaxy posted:

“it’s terrible that Steely Dan’s music was recorded”

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

:wrong:

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
I think that is totally uncontroversial take - their songs sound like doggshit and I'd rather listen to something with some low end saturating the hell out of a microcassette with worse musicians. the "audiophile" world is nearly 100% psychos emperors new clothes-ing each other to ludicrous extremes so the fact that they ride so hard for steely dan fits perfectly. they are maniacs, don't listen to them. every rap song that sampled steely dan is better than the sampled song. every project pat song is better than every steely dan song.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

I think that is totally uncontroversial take - their songs sound like doggshit and I'd rather listen to something with some low end saturating the hell out of a microcassette with worse musicians. the "audiophile" world is nearly 100% psychos emperors new clothes-ing each other to ludicrous extremes so the fact that they ride so hard for steely dan fits perfectly. they are maniacs, don't listen to them. every rap song that sampled steely dan is better than the sampled song. every project pat song is better than every steely dan song.

Someone can’t afford quadrophonic speakers.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3T1-rI6E9s

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Edit ^^^^ this is the first sample I haven’t heard ITT and it’s very neat, ty for posting

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

I got very into steely Dan as a kid in the 90s and 00s and was fairly alienated in my crusade to convert my friends. in the last 5 or so years though I’ve had probably a dozen people tell me that they finally “get” steely Dan now. for the record I think it’s completely fine not to like steely dan and can understand being turned off by their music, particularly the very clean aesthetic, but in my experience it is only a matter of time until you love them, at which point I will welcome you with open arms

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Steely Dan having bad recording quality and terrible mixing is far from the wildest hot take and it's widely known among production engineers, especially the drum mixing and the extremely overblown mids. Again, if you want to hear good recording production from the same time, you can just put on Give Me the Night or In Flight.

Like, just listen to loving Nature Boy. That's how the gently caress you mix a jazz pop song. Or The World is a Ghetto for god's sake.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
I like Beat Happening and GBV, any argument about bad recording quality is completely meaningless

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

AHH F/UGH posted:

Steely Dan having bad recording quality and terrible mixing is far from the wildest hot take and it's widely known among production engineers, especially the drum mixing and the extremely overblown mids. Again, if you want to hear good recording production from the same time, you can just put on Give Me the Night or In Flight.

Like, just listen to loving Nature Boy. That's how the gently caress you mix a jazz pop song. Or The World is a Ghetto for god's sake.

George Benson is great but I have a hard time believing that’s a widely held belief by recording engineers, do you have any examples? Like I’m sure steve albini hates the way Gaucho sounds but every sound guy I know uses Babylon Sisters or IGY to tune a new PA

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Torquemada posted:

Ironically I think Keith Jarrett only asked for a credit when they stole the title track from Gaucho from him.

Yeah, he essentially did the same thing they do for samples with a writing credit. Not sure how it breaks down financially exactly but generally that means he’s getting close to an equal share of mechanicals, publishing, etc for that song.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Puppy Galaxy posted:

George Benson is great but I have a hard time believing that’s a widely held belief by recording engineers, do you have any examples? Like I’m sure steve albini hates the way Gaucho sounds but every sound guy I know uses Babylon Sisters or IGY to tune a new PA

It's my job and a lot of the people I work with that are as deep into it share the same opinion that Steely Dan is basically babby's first production group. I can understand that it would seem like a controversial opinion and I only have first hand accounts, but a lot of the people on the recording and production forums, discord and subreddit that I frequent talk about having the same feeling as well.

FWIW, Babylon Sisters is a lot better mixed than most of their tracks, probably because Becker didn't have much to do with it. In fact, to assuage a bit, Donald Fagen's solo stuff (Nightfly especially) is leagues better. I.G.Y. still has no low end though.

edit: me spel

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

i’m just glad we can all agree that Steely Dan is extremely good