Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Guilty of Google/YouTubing it if it's got cool cover art or if I've heard the name before. I have had too many misses just going in blind as of late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
If it's 5 bucks or under, I'm willing to give it a go. Sometimes, you find something cool, and when I'm in a record shop, I'm just not in a place where I can check it out on YouTube.

Sometimes, you find something good.

On the other hand, sometimes, you find the worst record ever. Let me introduce you to Ian Whitcomb's "You Turn Me On": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9PjUscNOJM

Fun fact - this was actually top 10 hit in the US. So yeah, next time people are like "Man, music in the 60s was good, we had the Beatles and the Stones," just remind them that this also existed and was a big hit. His voice is terrible, the song is terrible, and honestly, it's so unsexy to make me want to take a vow of celibacy.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

The Dark Project posted:

Just wondering what people's methods are for choosing vinyl from artists they have never heard from before. Say you go to a swap meet or garage sale and thumb through a stack of LP's, and you find a bunch from artists that you've never heard of. What drives your decision to purchase or not. Is it the album art, the song list? Do you google or look for them on spotify or youtube to see if you can hear a track or two? Or do you prefer to go in blind and see if you can fluke a gem and find something really interesting and cool for yourself without checking every single thing about the artist out?

Besides price, album art and/or record label. I will buy any record off 625 Thrash or Slap-a-Ham, for example.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I've only bought an album going in completely blind a few times, mostly because I don't want my collection to bloat up to where I don't have room to keep stuff. I'm too lazy to sell things.

Luckily my local record store I do most of my buying from tends to put a sticker on the front with a blurb about the record, maybe who's on it, what it sounds like, etc.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
Price, cover art, label, connections to anything I'm more familiar with (credited performers, producer, etc), in roughly that order. If I'm at a store I might ask to give the album a listen, if it's a garage sale or flea market I might do a quick google to get an idea of the sound, but probably not bother looking on YouTube/Spotify if it's cheap enough.

Here is the first record that I bought totally blind using this infallible system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONq2Sqw4KzY

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cemetry Gator posted:

So yeah, next time people are like "Man, music in the 60s was good, we had the Beatles and the Stones," just remind them that this also existed and was a big hit.
The other day I downloaded like 15 gigs of "hits" sorted by year from 1955 to 2010 and ended up deleting all but 300-ish MB because it was wall to wall horseshit like this. In fact this was probably in it. And the leftover stuff isn't even "everything that's good" so much as "everything that isn't completely awful."

Lord knows I'll be the first to tell you there's so much fantastic music in the past that people just don't remember anymore but Jesus is there ever also a ton of crap that people don't remember anymore for an excellent reason.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

if there isnt at least one song on the record you want to listen to, see if you can find just the sleeve for sale. takes up less shelf space and you dont have to worry about messing up the plastic part

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

The Dark Project posted:

Just wondering what people's methods are for choosing vinyl from artists they have never heard from before. Say you go to a swap meet or garage sale and thumb through a stack of LP's, and you find a bunch from artists that you've never heard of. What drives your decision to purchase or not. Is it the album art, the song list? Do you google or look for them on spotify or youtube to see if you can hear a track or two? Or do you prefer to go in blind and see if you can fluke a gem and find something really interesting and cool for yourself without checking every single thing about the artist out?

Cool cover art or a cool looking band shot. What label put it out. Familiar names on the cover. I usually buy at record stores that let you listen first. So I take a stack and drop the needle a few times per record. Then I check discogs to make sure I'm not getting rinsed.

Cemetry Gator posted:

If it's 5 bucks or under, I'm willing to give it a go. Sometimes, you find something cool, and when I'm in a record shop, I'm just not in a place where I can check it out on YouTube.

Sometimes, you find something good.

Yeah. Anything under $5 I'm not too worried about. I can usually find one song or it sits for a year and makes it's way back to the thrift store. Circle of life. If it's a band I know I might blindly buy it for $10.

quote:

On the other hand, sometimes, you find the worst record ever. Let me introduce you to Ian Whitcomb's "You Turn Me On": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9PjUscNOJM

Fun fact - this was actually top 10 hit in the US. So yeah, next time people are like "Man, music in the 60s was good, we had the Beatles and the Stones," just remind them that this also existed and was a big hit. His voice is terrible, the song is terrible, and honestly, it's so unsexy to make me want to take a vow of celibacy.

Haha. I dig that Ian Whitcomb but more as a outsider/weirdo record.

I have a new set of all vinyl mixes up at https://www.mixcloud.com/mawesome/ 10132020 split into 2 parts. It's nice not having to worry about clearing the bar out with this stuff but I miss hanging out.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

The Dark Project posted:

Getting into vinyl for the first time. I was brought up in a house which relied on records for most of the music we had (old Hitachi player), but most of it was either kids albums for me, or classical music/soundtracks. When I was growing up, I used mostly tapes early on because I could use them in a Walkman, or eventually CD's back in the early 90's. Never really gave a thought to vinyl as it was seen as old tech, you couldn't skip tracks like you could on CD's, and none of the other kids were really getting them.

Found myself in a similar boat. Ive had a small collection of vinyl for ages but never really owned the means to appreciate them sonically.

I am fully in the deep end now and find myself buying 2-3 records per paycheck, essentially collecting all my favorite albums and any new stuff that catches my eye.

I got a Technics SL-BL3 that is in incredible condition and refurbished from an electronics recycling warehouse in Brooklyn for $20. I then scored a 1976 Superscope R-1220(built by Marantz) that is practically in mint condition off FB marketplace for $50. It sounds incredible and when I plug in my Bayer Dynamic DT-990s it is just an entirely new sonic experience of music for me.

Heres my set up right now. Working on getting some nice monitors.

Finally getting to enjoy the sound of vinyl in my own home is just magical and Im so happy to have found myself in this hobby now. I completed my sound system in late August and have already added 12 vinyl to my collection and will definitely be posting in this thread more.

Right now my most prized record is the Man of Steel OST which I scored for $60 sealed at an Amoeba in LA and got it signed by Zack Snyder, Deborah Snyder, Larry Fong and some other from Snyders crew. Considering it sells for like $200 in some online stores...I really lucked out.

Also thanks to the goon who posted about the Tron vinyl because that led me to Mondos store and I just bought the LOST: We Have To Go Back Live Concert set and I cannot wait.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

lol vinyl flippers getting mad they restocked Beyoncé - homecoming after selling out in a few hours.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Nice setup

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

incoherent posted:

lol vinyl flippers getting mad they restocked Beyoncé - homecoming after selling out in a few hours.

Please post their tears, they sustain me

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

latest orders arrived

havukruunu - uinuos syömein sota - pagan bm
morphology - horta proxima - electro
vril - anima mundi - dub techno/ambient
nin - quake ost
waveform transmission - 3.0-3.9 - ambient

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Loving that amp. Mine is just a repurposed one from my dad's old entertainment center :blush:

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Barry posted:

Nice setup

Thanks! Ive had the turntable for years but never had an amp/receiver that could power it. I've never really known anyone who had a true hi-fi vinyl set up or a solid turntable/receiver combo to show off so getting the full experience of a vinyl through a nice system is a revelation.

Its been such a joy listening to albums Ive listened to 10,000 times in this format. Theres just so much incredible detail I've never heard or noticed or appreciated. My ears have also been trained and matured a lot through working in music/film sound mixing for years. That and pretty much only listening to music through digital/streaming for a decade has given me a good frame of reference for just how god drat good vinyl sounds through a good system.

I know all of this is very obvious and standard to long time collectors/hi-fi geeks but I am just reveling in this new found glory and drowning in the kool-aide.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Is there any huge difference between having something like that and having a home theater receiver that's 10-20 years old? I have this big fuckoff Denon home theater receiver that's about 20ish years old. All I use it for is the turntable.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

From what I understand, not really. I mostly got it for the visual aesthetic/novelty of a vintage amplifier.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 16, 2020

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

AccountSupervisor posted:

From what I understand, not really. I mostly got it for the visual aesthetic/novelty of a vintage amplifier.

That's what I figured. The old ones do look cooler but unless there was some major benefit I can't be bothered to gently caress with it. A lot of people swear up and down that if you don't have some old 70s thing you're not getting the most out of your records which always seemed absurd to me.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Yeah Im not enough of a hi-fi nerd to know but I think its one of those classic debates thats argued over forever.

Although this particular amplifier has the capability of choosing magnetic or ceramic cartridge on the phono input which is pretty unique from what I know of amplifiers past a certain decade, so thats about it probably in any major sound differences. Ive switched between the CER and MAG options on it and from what I understand ceramic/crystal cartridges are chemical and have built in RIAA eq so they dont require any eq. There is quite a difference in the sound between them and how much volume is needed to get a good signal. Although I have no idea if RIAA eq standards have changed since 1976 but Id assume they have.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
that receiver looks rad as hell milhouse

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
My main concern about an amp is: 1) does it accept a 1/4 headphone plug without a converter and 2) does it accept a 1/8 aux

If it has both of those I'm in

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think my cheapo powered speakers hooked directly into the turntable sound great and I have no plans to upgrade.

buuut I did recently get to play with a sound system at work that had a proper amp and professional monitor speakers and even playing MP3s through that was extraordinary. Not gonna lie there is now a certain ground level of temptation.

I say even, but I don't think the quality difference between MP3 and vinyl is all it's made out to be

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

That's what I figured. The old ones do look cooler but unless there was some major benefit I can't be bothered to gently caress with it. A lot of people swear up and down that if you don't have some old 70s thing you're not getting the most out of your records which always seemed absurd to me.

My main amp is a 60s McIntosh that sounds different from every other amp I’ve ever owned. It could just be failing electrolytics, but I like how it sounds.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
On the topic of vintage equipment, I have a pair of Wharfedale w70 speakers that blew out when I (assume) had a power surge and caused the volume on my receiver to go full power. I got the speakers fairly cheap, and there's a reputable repair shop by me, but they're not able to do an estimate on it. Any ideas what I could potentially look at for a bill? I have a nice pair of Polk speakers that hold me over, but I'm wondering if I should get the other ones fixed or just dispose of them.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Schremp Howard posted:

On the topic of vintage equipment, I have a pair of Wharfedale w70 speakers that blew out when I (assume) had a power surge and caused the volume on my receiver to go full power. I got the speakers fairly cheap, and there's a reputable repair shop by me, but they're not able to do an estimate on it. Any ideas what I could potentially look at for a bill? I have a nice pair of Polk speakers that hold me over, but I'm wondering if I should get the other ones fixed or just dispose of them.

If they can’t give an estimate it’s unlikely that any of us would be more accurate. Do the speakers make any sound?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

My main amp is a 60s McIntosh that sounds different from every other amp I’ve ever owned. It could just be failing electrolytics, but I like how it sounds.

Isn't McIntosh a fancypants brand?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

Isn't McIntosh a fancypants brand?

Made in the USA! And yes, although in 1968 when mine was made I don’t think it was absurdly expensive. I have a MA5100 which was their bottom of the line solid state integrated amp. Even now they’re not as dumb expensive as the old tube amps or the higher end solid states with huge VU meters. But I like mine.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

Made in the USA! And yes, although in 1968 when mine was made I don’t think it was absurdly expensive. I have a MA5100 which was their bottom of the line solid state integrated amp. Even now they’re not as dumb expensive as the old tube amps or the higher end solid states with huge VU meters. But I like mine.

A McIntosh amp and blocks of marble? What's it like being a multi-millionaire?

That amp does look really cool though.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

A McIntosh amp and blocks of marble? What's it like being a multi-millionaire?

That amp does look really cool though.

The marble came from a men’s room stall that was being demo’d. It imbues the music with a delightful tonality. I call it a special tinkle. And it makes it so I can jump in the room and the record won’t skip.

Edit: but I guess the point is that I can hear the difference between my amp and like a modern AV receiver in an A/B test, but I fully admit that it is probably just 52 year old electrolytics that are failing/have failed and distorts the sound in a way that I find pleasing. It’s why I’m hesitant to have it serviced until it really needs it.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 17, 2020

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

The marble came from a men’s room stall that was being demo’d. It imbues the music with a delightful tonality. I call it a special tinkle. And it makes it so I can jump in the room and the record won’t skip.

Edit: but I guess the point is that I can hear the difference between my amp and like a modern AV receiver in an A/B test, but I fully admit that it is probably just 52 year old electrolytics that are failing/have failed and distorts the sound in a way that I find pleasing. It’s why I’m hesitant to have it serviced until it really needs it.

That reminds me of a thing I wanted to ask the thread. What's something cheap I can put un my turntable to dampen vibrations if I don't have access to a gloryhole stuff from a demolished men's room?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

That reminds me of a thing I wanted to ask the thread. What's something cheap I can put un my turntable to dampen vibrations if I don't have access to a gloryhole stuff from a demolished men's room?

Should be fairly easy to get big granite countertop scraps from a countertop place. I’m sure they just toss pieces that would be the right size. Or you can buy marble pastry boards but they’re probably thinner and might not work as well. A heavy butcher block cutting board might work better for vibration. I bought rubber hemisphere feet for mine from some audiophile eBay store, but they were cheap enough and I couldn’t find non-gimmick feet that were big enough anywhere else.

My big marble chunks look dumb but I could barely walk around the room before without skips, and now it’s nothing. Major improvement.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

BigFactory posted:

The marble came from a men’s room stall that was being demo’d.

a piss brick?

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
For what it’s worth I got a big hockey puck shaped weight I can put on the center of the record and it helps a lot without distorting the music at all either.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

BigFactory posted:

If they can’t give an estimate it’s unlikely that any of us would be more accurate. Do the speakers make any sound?

Still makes sound but very crackly and slight distortion, as you would experience with something where the volume is too high. The lack of an estimate is more from them charging a diagnostic fee that can be applied to the repair if you do it, but if it’s going to cost say... $150, I would rather just dump them.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

BigFactory posted:

Very nice. Something about the wood panels/metal face combo that is just so pleasing to look at on these.

Its amazing how even the mid end amps from back then are just incredible in quality.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Also thanks to the goon who posted about the Tron vinyl because that led me to Mondos store and I just bought the LOST: We Have To Go Back Live Concert set and I cannot wait.

Same, though I found it thru Brad Bird tweeting about Michael Giacchino's new solo album. What an all-time great TV score.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Same, though I found it thru Brad Bird tweeting about Michael Giacchino's new solo album. What an all-time great TV score.

Yeah I cannot wait to hear it like this. Im probably about as big a fan of Lost as they come and dont really own anything besides the dvd set so I am very excited to have a nice collectible from the show AND an amazing vinyl.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Yoink! Thank you for posting that. Just picked it up myself.

Is there anything y’all go out of your way to buy duplicates of? Like, I have three or four versions of Jesus Christ Superstar and will pick up any variant packages of it I see.

Mondo had a Thief soundtrack with a pretty fancy cover that tempted me, but the original cover is so goddamn good that it’s tough to improve on it

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Very nice. Something about the wood panels/metal face combo that is just so pleasing to look at on these.

Its amazing how even the mid end amps from back then are just incredible in quality.

I know it's intensely Boomer to talk about how old things were built to last, but at least with stereo equipment it's true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
I'd love to find a good/great condition Technics SL-1200, and pair it with some kind of amp that matches well with it. Unfortunately, I have no idea whatsoever where to start when it comes to this kind of stuff.