Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

veni veni veni posted:

This! The first time I died I got all excited because I figured I could mess with players. Being dead in this game is so boring. It'd also be fun if you could see the ghost while dead, but that would suck a lot of the horror out of it so I get why you can't do that.

You can talk to teammates while dead if you are using discord. Although I don't recommend it. First off, Discord breaks the voice detection stuff for me at least and I can't talk to the ghosts. It also just all around makes it less fun. The prox chat/radio combo is much more immersive.

You can see the ghost while you're dead actually! While I haven't seen it myself (haven't died yet :smuggo:) there's been a post in the horror megathread about being able to witness the ghost while you're dead moving around and being in rooms with living players without actually manifesting. At some point I'll probably go into a round without bringing extra stuff and planning on dying so I can see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

It'd be fun to still be able to talk as a ghost but with a voice filter.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I was hoping at least your voice had a chance to come through distorted on the radios or through the spirit box. Don't make it super common so you can't annoy the piss out of the remaining hunters but let one word through occasionally. I think it's a weird balancing act because technically you should be helping since your teammates are the ones you're distracting so I think it's best they keep the interaction between alive and dead to a minimum but there should be something to do to pass the time.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

this game's fun ya'll

Apparently the dev has stated that the next ghost model (not type like Banshee or Demon, but the visual appearance) is a wall/ceiling crawler lmao

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Babe Magnet posted:

Apparently the dev has stated that the next ghost model (not type like Banshee or Demon, but the visual appearance) is a wall/ceiling crawler lmao

:yikes:

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

explosivo posted:

I was hoping at least your voice had a chance to come through distorted on the radios or through the spirit box. Don't make it super common so you can't annoy the piss out of the remaining hunters but let one word through occasionally. I think it's a weird balancing act because technically you should be helping since your teammates are the ones you're distracting so I think it's best they keep the interaction between alive and dead to a minimum but there should be something to do to pass the time.

This runs the risk of creating false positives though

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Maybe it records your voice temporarily and plays back the recording sometimes when you're dead.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Make a list of things that player ghosts can say that objective ghosts cannot, let player ghosts say them near a working spirit box. Voice the player with a different synthetic voice.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

It records the last thing you said before you died and plays it back randomly.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Bought this cuz it looks super fun, but my first solo attempt after the tutorial ended embarrassingly. I pulled out the Spirit Box to have a friendly chat with my ghost buddy, asked where he was, he answered with "BEHIND", then breathed in my ear. I scooted out of the house fast as my doofy character model could carry me, the ghost trolling me with flickering lights. Great game so far, love the atmosphere, probably need to play with a group lol

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

SpudCat posted:

Bought this cuz it looks super fun, but my first solo attempt after the tutorial ended embarrassingly. I pulled out the Spirit Box to have a friendly chat with my ghost buddy, asked where he was, he answered with "BEHIND", then breathed in my ear. I scooted out of the house fast as my doofy character model could carry me, the ghost trolling me with flickering lights. Great game so far, love the atmosphere, probably need to play with a group lol

You DO need to play with a group. Go join the Discord on the previous page, we'll scream and run out with you.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
In a weird way I feel a lot of the jankiness and uncertainty kinda adds to the game. Like, having to go around trying repeatedly with a spirit box, putting ghost books in different positions, changing camera angles just in case a orb was barely offscreen, etc. kinda helps prevent the gameplay from becoming a bit too methodical, though it does get frustrating when a ghost really does not want to cooperate. Stuff like not knowing the ranges of crucifix also helps with making sure there is no complete sense of security, at least for me. There definitly has been moments where I felt that we had a crucifix in a spot where it should have stopped the ghost, and it did not.

Also, playing this game a bit more with and without VR, turns out one weird trick to be less spooked by the desktop version is to just play it in VR for a bunch of a session and then switch to just regular playing. Really helps you go from "I need to place a thing at the room at the end of the hallway, time to spend a moment talking some confidence into myself before I can even move" to "gently caress it, gonna load in with no equipment this round, stand inside the house with the photo camera and see if I can take some sick pictures when it hunts" :v:

In other news, seems like the directional mic can be useful sometimes, if you got a loud ghost or something. A friend took one on a mission into the school and basically got a reading right from the start, which let us find the spot we needed real quick. So I guess if nothing else, it might be worth it to bring one along and give it a listen to see if it picks anything up early on.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

I haven't had any success at all with the directional microphone, myself. I've only tried it a couple times, but so far it seems to have an abysmally short range.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
I was playing this with my partner, using the in game radio chat for extra atmosphere and my parrot squawked, which went through the game chat distorted a bit and it scared the piss out of my partner.

10/10 would ghost hunt with a parrot again.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

GoldStandardConure posted:

I was playing this with my partner, using the in game radio chat for extra atmosphere and my parrot squawked, which went through the game chat distorted a bit and it scared the piss out of my partner.

10/10 would ghost hunt with a parrot again.

"*aaawk* Polly wants a sign! Polly wants a sign!"

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Just out of curiosity, how many of you have had trouble sleeping after playing this late at night? I have had moments of hesitation while going to the kitchen for a midnight snack.

This friggin game.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
I haven't, but I am dead inside from year of lovely movies and TV.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I played this last night with a friend of mine who was using VR and hooboy is it funny watching people move around with the teleport movement style while they're in VR.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

If there’s one change I’d want it’d be a real sprint but it has pretty limited endurance. It would make traversing the asylum a little less painful, add some verisimilitude when you’re jump scared and try to bolt for the door, and make it feel like you have a chance to outrun the ghost (but you still probably can’t)

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

My wife and son and I decided to get this after laughing hysterically at a few youtube videos. I'll head over to the Discord so we can pee our pants together :unsmigghh:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Bioshuffle posted:

Just out of curiosity, how many of you have had trouble sleeping after playing this late at night? I have had moments of hesitation while going to the kitchen for a midnight snack.

This friggin game.

The first couple of times playing I absolutely had trouble sleeping, especially the first night. Even had some dreams that woke me up. After playing it some more I've gotten over that but sometimes a particularly intense session will at least send me into a read till it's off my mind mode.

Tbh the most spooky thing about the game is just the oppressive ambient noise when you go into a house. It does the perfect job of putting you on edge if it's all you have to pay attention to, especially when wandering around the high school or asylum.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Cobbsprite posted:

Make a list of things that player ghosts can say that objective ghosts cannot, let player ghosts say them near a working spirit box. Voice the player with a different synthetic voice.

Why not just let the ghosts talk normally? Don't have any filters on it and let it be essentially a radio for the dead.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Playing this in VR made me scream irl lol

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Cowman posted:

Why not just let the ghosts talk normally? Don't have any filters on it and let it be essentially a radio for the dead.

I think the idea against this is they don't want people who are dead telling the alive players that you saw the ghost and it was cold just before you died and you saw orbs or whatever. It's not as much fun when you can say "ah I just died" instead of minutes passing before someone else says "oh god I think explosivo's dead"

Edit: unless you mean ghosts talking to ghosts in which case yeah totally

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

id deffo like ghost players to be able to flciker lights and stuff, to help or hinder.

it would make sense given the theme and various movies where one ghost is actually warning the protags about the demon or whatever

i wouldnt know cause i havent died yet, heh

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Id like to see a Ghost Car ala "Christine" added

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

can any of them attack you outside the house? that would be cool

i think my friend's photo more or less captures the moment i screamed

also some great body tracking going on

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 17, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Communist Thoughts posted:

also some great body tracking going on

It's actually not that bad, but since there's no way to really sit down and play this game in VR currently, I immediately plunk into my chair after missions to give my feet a rest and throw my touch controllers on the desk and end up looking exactly like this.

They REALLY need to work out some sort of seated option for playing this game. Like all they need to do is add the ability to aim your hand at something on the floor and grip to hoover it up. Because right now there is no crouch button in VR, so if I change the height in advanced settings it's impossible to pick anything up off the floor. Considering how much stuff I drop, playing like that makes it unplayable.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So is there a way to actually "win" or officially complete a mission, or is it pretty much just do as many objectives as possible for the most money possible? Also how do you actually lock in the ghost type guesses? I will put it in my book and guess right sometimes and it still doesn't seem to give me credit. Is there something more than just marking it off in the book?

This games economy is kind of weird. Like, it feels like regardless of how good or bad a mission goes the amount of money I rake in doesn't vary that much. We will run into the suburban house, maybe get 1 evidence pic, realize the mission is going poorly, guess wrong, then come back and have like $40. On the other hand, for example, we did a school mission, got good pictures of the ghost, pictures of dirty water, fingerprints, most of the objectives, guessed the ghost right and I got...$65. If there is a way to really rake money in in this game, I haven't found it. It feels almost like half assing missions on small maps and leaving after 5 minutes with 1 or 2 objectives done would be the quickest way to make $$$.

Not that the point of this game is min/maxing, that is just dumb. But it would be nice if more effort felt more profitable. it would be nice if big maps like the school would offer slightly bigger payouts since they take forever. it makes it so people don't want to play the school or asylum, and those are my favorite maps because they are actually creepy, unlike the tiny suburbs houses. But they are inherently way harder and more time consuming.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

But consider this - I want to play the high school or asylum because they are WAY SPOOKIER

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cobbsprite posted:

But consider this - I want to play the high school or asylum because they are WAY SPOOKIER

I totally agree. That's what I'm saying.

But they seem unpopular for the reasons stated.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I don't like them just because it takes loving forever for anything to happen. Really wish you could bring at couple extra people to those maps.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Imo a good solution would be to include a rough idea of the quadrant the ghost will be in. Like, just include a sentence in the briefing that says "the ghost was last spotted in the library" or something. Then you can go to the library and assume it's somewhere within that region and it's surrounding areas.

I kind of enjoy how much searching there is but I have only played the school once. I imagine it would get old looking for 20 minutes before finding anything after a few times though.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

They could also add a standard stalking behavior to all the ghosts instead of just phantom/banshee/wraith, so you get some activity if you pass by where a ghost can see you.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

My experience has been that ghosts in the larger maps are more likely to engage in behaviors that call your attention to their location, like ringing phones or whistling.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I like in the bigger maps there's more atmosphere building and the ghost is often found in like, an old janitors closet or random study. One of the most successful things the game does is build atmosphere in a normal-albeit-spooky place (a house, an old school, etc) by there just not being much in there at all.

I kinda wish that, rarely, it was possible to get a house that just straight up isn't haunted, and "no ghost" is an option in the journal. Generally it feels like once you get the basic game mechanics down a lot of stuff gets less scary because you know there's a ghost somewhere in there so instead of being nervous about finding it, it's tedious.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

I know they've talked about the thermometer being possibly too effective for finding the ghost room quickly. I'd like it if instead of being a laser-based system it was more ... conventional. You turn it on, it takes several seconds to get a reading, and it only works at the spot where you're standing. Would make you step into rooms and take an extra five or ten seconds or so in each one.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

abigserve posted:

I like in the bigger maps there's more atmosphere building and the ghost is often found in like, an old janitors closet or random study. One of the most successful things the game does is build atmosphere in a normal-albeit-spooky place (a house, an old school, etc) by there just not being much in there at all.

I kinda wish that, rarely, it was possible to get a house that just straight up isn't haunted, and "no ghost" is an option in the journal. Generally it feels like once you get the basic game mechanics down a lot of stuff gets less scary because you know there's a ghost somewhere in there so instead of being nervous about finding it, it's tedious.

Yeah, I am still figuring out the mechanics, and the number of ghosts is impressive, but it's got a real proc gen feel to it that is kind of predictable in it's unpredictability. I know it's always going to be some creepy humaniod form (often that feels not thematically appropriate tbh) and they all act roughly the same with varying degrees of aggression, most of the difference being how they respond to specific tools . I can't help but think much higher production values would be the thing that takes it from a fun novelty to something epic. Every time I play I know its just going to be some rotted lady with an axe or something and it gets my imagination going for all sort of possibilities that would make the game so much cooler. Like, finding friendly spirits that float around in the air and the goal is less to stay alive than get the best picture, 9 foot tall goat demons, ghosts can that hide under beds, walk on walls, ceilings (someone said wall ghosts are in the works though which is cool) different ghost behaviour...Say you see one all the way at the end of the hall in the school and it runs straight at you full speed. Different events that are more substantial than stuff moving around like windows blowing out or the sky turning red outside. The possibilities for cool stuff seems endless.

I realize this is a $13 early access indie game though and what they have put on the table is still impressive.But I think the idea is so good, someone who can make something a lot more polished and robust is going to come alone sooner than later. it feels like the framework for something great that will probably spawn a lot of clones.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
With the lack of spooky things to do this October, I’m buying this game to play in VR. I hope it’s scary!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Played through the tutorial.

Freaking creeped me out to the bons even though I knew the ghost was in one place and wouldn't attack me. Christ.