Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Sunswipe posted:

Is the term "virtue signalling" ever used by anyone who isn't an rear end in a top hat, or is it always shorthand for "I'm a massive bigot and think everyone is secretly like me"?

That’s my impression as well. It is one of those phrases that people use to describe others that really just says a lot more about the person using the phrase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is a useful phrase and actually very accurately describes a lot of what right wingers spend their time doing. Like posting memes about are glourious victoree 4 britane two world wars nah na nana is literally virtue signalling.

But still, almost anybody who actually uses it is not using it correctly and is in fact signalling they are a bellend. Using the phrase "virtue signalling" is itself virtue signalling for the right.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

learnincurve posted:

Darn, I’m going to have to serious post to defend my skills. British food being bad is french propaganda that originated in the pre-revolution era.

We had a problem after the Romans left whereby our trade with outsiders absolutely and completely broke down to the point where there was no currency for hundreds of years. We get invaded by the vikings and then immediately make up for lost time with the import of spices to the point where it could be called a national obsession to this day.

The french however built their capital city in the wrong place and the aristocracy turned all the fertile land round it into vineyards. This meant meat and fish was pretty much rotten by the time it got to the city and then navigated through the packed streets. Their solution was to invent marinades and sauces that would hide the rotten meat, as the British didn’t need to do this and would serve meat just lightly dry spiced. Made sense for the french government to push the lie that french cooking was awesome look at the plain English food haw haw in case the general population looked at the champagne region and went “hang on why are there not sheep on here”

What? No, this is wildly wrong and reading medieval and Early Modern recipe books will prove as much. The English and French upper classes both used tons of spices and marinades and sauces, which were not “invented” suddenly in a French castle.

Nobody wealthy enough to have access to expensive flavorings would be eating rotten meat. They knew it would make you sick! People in the past weren’t idiots!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

All of the posts and quotes in this thread happened in the past. QED.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sunswipe posted:

Is the term "virtue signalling" ever used by anyone who isn't an rear end in a top hat, or is it always shorthand for "I'm a massive bigot and think everyone is secretly like me"?
it's useful when referring to upper-class people adopting social justice language while still upholding and benefiting from systems of oppression and only engaging in performative self-serving "activism," but yeah the majority of usage is like your quote and a safe bet if you don't know the person saying it

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stunt_enby posted:

it's useful when referring to upper-class people adopting social justice language while still upholding and benefiting from systems of oppression and only engaging in performative self-serving "activism," but yeah the majority of usage is like your quote and a safe bet if you don't know the person saying it

https://twitter.com/whysimonewhy/status/1143280089133699072?s=21

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Roblo posted:

A lot of British food that gets bought up on here is the most basic/awful British food. Plenty of awful American food too guys.

When I went to the states I mainly got the impression of quantity over quality. I had some really good stuff sure, but you get good stuff anywhere in the world. I did find a lot of the food far too sweet, though. So I guess if you're used to that and go anywhere else maybe it'll taste a bit bland.

Jealous of the amount of proper/good Mexican food places you guys have though. (though that's not exactly American - if you guys can claim that the Brits can sure claim a shed load of curries).

theres a difference between texmex and authentic mexican food so we can kind of claim some mexican food because we iterated on it. just like britian can claim butter chicken and tiki masala despite it being indian food. its like pizza sure someone in italy probably invented that poo poo but every country iterates on it and 90% of them are great but some are real bad.

ive never been to a country with bad food only. infact most countries have good food and bad food

the british is bad at food stuff is just a meme from ww2 like the french love surrendering. france kicked the poo poo out of everyone in europe twice. they won or lost tons of wars. but because they surrendered in ww2 everyone is like lol surrender monkies. britain had to ration food in ww2 and so they had poo poo food.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I feel like this describing an extremely specific phenomenon the majority of normal people never have to deal with.

Also holy gently caress can a mod put a moratorium on British food discussion. The content is absolutely coming from inside the thread.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

turns out literally every single place where humans live has good food

it's almost like people like good food or something

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sunswipe posted:

Having a total false memory moment here because I was going to reply that behavioral ecologists use it all the time, and I'm sure I remember people talking about it in the context of behavioral ecology, but a cursory refresher on signaling theory tells me that "virtue signaling" is not actually one of the types. :eng99:

Stunt_enby posted:

Also for corporations who put rainbows on their packaging during pride month.

Or (for example) poo poo like the #BellLetsTalk campaign that happens in Canada every year in which the country's biggest telecom corp gets people to share messages about mental health awareness for the sweet engagements, free advertising, and tax writeoffs for matching donations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Stunt_enby posted:

Which is a cousin concept to dumbass conservatives who see Amazon and Google and others making these pitiful gestures of rainbow capitalism and being completely loving fooled. "SEE I KNEW CORPORATE AMERICA WAS ON THE LEFTIES SIDE, THEY CHANGED THEIR ICON TO A RAINBOW DURING PRIDE MONTH!"
In both cases the left tends to recognize and resent it but the right takes it (as they do with most things) as proof of their conspiratorial worldviews.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vib Rib posted:

Which is a cousin concept to dumbass conservatives who see Amazon and Google and others making these pitiful gestures of rainbow capitalism and being completely loving fooled. "SEE I KNEW CORPORATE AMERICA WAS ON THE LEFTIES SIDE, THEY CHANGED THEIR ICON TO A RAINBOW DURING PRIDE MONTH!"
In both cases the left tends to recognize and resent it but the right takes it (as they do with most things) as proof of their conspiratorial worldviews.

Exxon Mobile change their logo to a black square for a single day, so obviously they're Antifa terrorists who hate cops and real Americans.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

snergle posted:

the british is bad at food stuff is just a meme from ww2 like the french love surrendering. france kicked the poo poo out of everyone in europe twice. they won or lost tons of wars. but because they surrendered in ww2 everyone is like lol surrender monkies. britain had to ration food in ww2 and so they had poo poo food.

The French not being surrender monkeys is a huge reason USA is even a thing, which makes it extra ironic when Americans keep using the meme.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The idea of virtue signaling kinda points at something real and I'm sure that it would be possible to make a coherent notion, but no one's done that so far. If you see someone using the phrase and you don't know for a fact that they understand what signaling is, be suspicious.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Is it the corporate version of being fake woke?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

learnincurve posted:

The french however built their capital city in the wrong place and the aristocracy turned all the fertile land round it into vineyards. This meant meat and fish was pretty much rotten by the time it got to the city and then navigated through the packed streets. Their solution was to invent marinades and sauces that would hide the rotten meat, as the British didn’t need to do this and would serve meat just lightly dry spiced. Made sense for the french government to push the lie that french cooking was awesome look at the plain English food haw haw in case the general population looked at the champagne region and went “hang on why are there not sheep on here”
This is wrong in so many ways

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
This is literally the only thing I know about British food.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQozR6ZYl6g

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Yeah it's bizarre, and usually a racist argument I see for why so much good and spicy food happens to come from tropical regions. So seeing it co-opted to be racist against the French is almost refreshing, but also very weird.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Like, every sentence in that post is individually wrong in a different way. It’s impressive in how opposite it is to reality.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Lol the Amber Frost impression is dead-on.

Dang It Bhabhi! has a new favorite as of 20:13 on Oct 17, 2020

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

hooman posted:

"All food is bad" I scoff through my mouthful of liver milkshake.

i've never eaten organ meat, i'm not sure where this is coming from

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sunswipe posted:

Also "triggered", to the point where people with actual PTSD now have to tiptoe around using the word because of assholes who have coopted it to mock people for calling them out on racism/insensitivity.

Ugh just reminded myself of that thing a few months ago where like Iraq War vets were talking about having PTSD symptoms aggravated by fireworks displays and chuds were like "Lol fireworks?? is there ANYTHING you liberal snowflakes won't be triggered by"

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

StillFullyTerrible posted:

i've never eaten organ meat

its 2020, get with the times you big prude :wink:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

chitoryu12 posted:

What? No, this is wildly wrong and reading medieval and Early Modern recipe books will prove as much. The English and French upper classes both used tons of spices and marinades and sauces, which were not “invented” suddenly in a French castle.

Nobody wealthy enough to have access to expensive flavorings would be eating rotten meat. They knew it would make you sick! People in the past weren’t idiots!

I did quite clearly say after the Romans left (which isn’t medieval), it was only after the vikings invaded did we set up any trade routes, in the period between we didn’t even have currency, we had the barter system and massive social regression. .

But yes, look at a map and where Paris is where the coast is, and where the vineyards are, for hundreds of years they ate rotten meat and fish and what makes it even more batshit is that the aristocracy would demand crab and other more exotic fish from the south of France and it would have to be taken by boat round the country and then by cart into the city itself.

Edit: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/19189272-the-king-in-the-north the king in the north by Max Adams is very very dry reading but it’s very good at building a picture as to what it was like after the romans left, followed by Viking britain by Thomas Williams

learnincurve has a new favorite as of 21:18 on Oct 17, 2020

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

learnincurve posted:

I did quite clearly say after the Romans left (which isn’t medieval), it was only after the vikings invaded did we set up any trade routes, in the period between we didn’t even have currency, we had the barter system and massive social regression. .

But yes, look at a map and where Paris is where the coast is, and where the vineyards are, for hundreds of years they ate rotten meat and fish and what makes it even more batshit is that the aristocracy would demand crab and other more exotic fish from the south of France and it would have to be taken by boat round the country and then by cart into the city itself.

Did you learn this from the hobo who lived in the junkyard behind your house?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

“Medieval” just means post-Empire, and began at different times in different places. Sadly, the five centuries of darkness shows no sign of ever lifting.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
drat, you both posted after the edit where I added a couple of book recs on life post Roman Empire in the U.K.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

And which book describes the aristocracy of Paris shipping rotting crab by cart to their city that’s somehow not on a river in this universe?

“Behold, my liege, the finest pile of foul mush from the sea for you to invent a new sauce for!”

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

kecske posted:

its 2020, get with the times you big prude :wink:
no no no, we're talking about english and french cuisine, not german

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

no no no, we're talking about english and french cuisine, not german

KRAUT IST GUT

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

chitoryu12 posted:

And which book describes the aristocracy of Paris shipping rotting crab by cart to their city that’s somehow not on a river in this universe?

Look if you want to recommend a book on Napoleonic era French trade routes, mentioning grain and Egypt specifically, or anything you have on the role food played in the French Revolution then I’ll happily read it. :)

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

ultrafilter posted:

The idea of virtue signaling kinda points at something real and I'm sure that it would be possible to make a coherent notion, but no one's done that so far. If you see someone using the phrase and you don't know for a fact that they understand what signaling is, be suspicious.

like, for instance, the concept of Alphas in wolfpacks, or involuntary celibacy, it started as a technical term to describe a situation for some meaningful purpose, but was co-opted by dickholes who wanted to complain about why they shouldn't have to listen to anyone at all

i've never eaten organ meat, i'm not sure where this is coming from

this was about a tweet that I'm just going to repost here, because this is the place for it and we're far, far off the rails:

https://twitter.com/cryptodemedici/status/1317129028151742467

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Mak0rz posted:

tl:dr; Raw meat is the tits.

What no it's not

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

learnincurve posted:

Look if you want to recommend a book on Napoleonic era French trade routes, mentioning grain and Egypt specifically, or anything you have on the role food played in the French Revolution then I’ll happily read it. :)

I can’t tell if this is a bit now.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Slippery posted:

What no it's not

Tits is raw meat.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Slippery posted:

What no it's not

Pate is really good. So is sushi. So is steak tartar.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Mak0rz posted:

Also for corporations who put rainbows on their packaging during pride month.

Or (for example) poo poo like the #BellLetsTalk campaign that happens in Canada every year in which the country's biggest telecom corp gets people to share messages about mental health awareness for the sweet engagements, free advertising, and tax writeoffs for matching donations.

I suppose you could call that virtue signalling, but I think when corporations do it, it's usually called whitewashing, or a specific term based on whatever cause they're appropriating. Pinkwashing for queer iconography, greenwashing for environmentalism etc.

In these cases, it's very easy to point out why it's an insincere attention grab; the entirety of the company's support is whatever gets them advertising and tax breaks, and they will not spend a dime beyond that. Further, someone making the accusation thinks the cause is worth supporting, and takes issue with a failure to provide actual support.

Virtue signalling supposedly highlights the same phenomenon, but it's chiefly used by people who don't consider the underlying cause worthy of support. This greatly changes the logistics of accusing someone of insincerity. To take that Facebook post as an example, their issue is not that YouTube advertises using black people while making billions from platforming white supremacists; supporting nazis in the name of capitalism is perfectly acceptable. When you eliminate that avenue of criticism, the only one that remains is that you genuinely believe it is impossible for a white person to consider a non-white person to be relatable, and anyone who claims otherwise is lying.

When someone accuses you of virtue signalling, they are saying they cannot comprehend the idea of viewing a minority as a fully realized human being who is your equal, and thus belying the enormity of their own bigotry.

Zulily Zoetrope has a new favorite as of 21:50 on Oct 17, 2020

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

This of course ignores the actual stupidity some have where they are told by their social media feeds what is "effective" at attacking "the left" and they parrot tactics they have already heard from talking heads. The language is always changing to catch people by surprise, and while "virtue signaling" is actually getting long in the tooth it's still new to a lot of the rank-and-file.

And that of course ignores performative stupidity where the aim is to control the conversation and appear strong and in-charge, correlating intellectual positions with weakness. It's often indistinguishable from actual stupidity until/unless you're too deep in the situation to effectively pull out, and that assumes you know what to look for instead of falling for the tactic and trying to explain their concerns away or dunk on someone for acting stupid.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Ortolan wasn't eaten under a towel to hide the shamefully cruel act. That's froggie propaganda. They were just hiding their disgusting rotten birds carted in from the south to make us feel bad about our food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
And with that my internet day has done a complete full circle.

https://twitter.com/Lubchansky/status/1317216739885809666