Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

This card starts in 15 minutes, is it still the same card as the description below? Who knows, compare it to the picture above, some poo poo changed.

CommonShore posted:

Fight Night Ortega vs The Korean Zombie
Not at all partisan breakdown.

Prediction: 3 fight parlay - Korean Zombie, Ciryl Gane, and Jessica Andrade. I'm willing to bet a 12h probe. According to what I see, that's a +223 bet, which means my "payout" should be 26 hours. Anyone want to risk a 24 hour probe on my parlay?

:supaburn::getin:Featherweight Brian Ortega vs Chan Sung Jung
This is a presumptive #1 contender match at Featherweight. Ortega is close to two years removed from his horrible beating at the fists and feet of Max Holloway and he wants to get back on top. The Korean Zombie is coming off of two decisive finishes of Frankie Edgar and Renato Moicano.

If you don’t know either fighter do not miss this fight. Ortega is a cowardly steroid cheat who earned a title shot from a highlight reel of his Gracie jiu jitsu brand of aggressive grappling and natural power. The Korean Zombie is a handsome and brave champion from Korea who has a great youtube channel and is the most exciting fighter the sport has ever seen. At one point he had more performance bonuses than he hadUFC fights. He has won submission of the year, knockout of the year, and fight of the year at least once each. I see that he has most fight-night bonuses in UFC Featherweight history. He’s also an extremely cool person and he’s constantly improving as a fighter.

This is being promoted as a grudge match because at a live event Ortega slapped a KPop star who is friends with TKZ because of how the guy translated something in an interview while TKZ was in the bathroom. I believe Ortega is shook.

:siren:Heavyweight Ciryl Gane vs Ante Delija
In contrast to last week’s barf pile, Ciryl Gane is a heavyweight that I get excited to see. He’s the kind of guy who will beat up an opponent for nearly an entire fight and then heel hook him in minute 14 because he got bored of punching him. He’s a French kickboxer, 6-0, with some cool skills and one of the more legitimate prospects in the division. His opponent? No idea. Tapology tells me that he a 17-3 Croatian. He has wins in KSW, PFL, Risin, and M1. He has faced Oli Thompson (W), Marcin Tybura (L), Valentijm Overeem (W), and Ricco Rodriguez (W). For my taste he has far too many decision wins for a heavyweight who is fighting cans. This seems to be quality vs experience, and I hope that Gane can pull out a good highlight win for the sake of the division’s health.

Women’s flyweight Katlyn Chookagian vs Jessica Andrade
My girl Jessica is making her third weight class debut. Andrade became the champion at 115 by slam KOing Rose Namajunas, but then she dropped the belt to Zhang by tko in her first defense then and lost a fight of the night rematch decision to Rose. She is pound for pound one of the most powerful women in the sport, and given that she built a winning record at 135 before moving to 115, it’s likely she’ll carry that power to 125. Chookagian is coming off of fights against the Shevchenko sisters, losing a bloody TKO to champion Valentina, and then bouncing back with a one-sided decision over Antonina. Up to her loss to Valentina she showed a preference for a point-kickboxing style that is agonizing to watch (she has zero UFC finishes). In her last bout she showed a bit more depth, using her Renzo Gracie brown belt to put some hurt on poor Shevchenko the lesser. But good game planning will probably have Chookagian moving backwards and avoiding Andrade’s power, as Andrade has not shown a strong ability to get inside against technical strikers. That is unless “Blonde Fighter” realizes that she’ll need to look more violent if she wants to get anywhere near a title again.

Light Heavyweight Jimmy Crute vs Modestas Bukauskas
Crute is a 24 year old Aussie who despite a submission loss to Misha Cirkunov is probably still one of the better young prospects in this division. He has demonstrated a good balance of striking and grappling threats so far in his 4 big show appearances. Modestas “The Baltic Gladiator” is a 11-2 Lithuanian who won his UFC debut by rocking his opponent at the bell and having him fall out of the cage when his corner opened the gate. He’s on a decent winning streak with a few wins over opponents in Cage Warriors who have good records, but there are no noteworthy names there. This looks like good competitive matchmaking to me.

:siren:Featherweight Thomas Almeida vs Jonathan Martinez
Thomas Almeida is one of those fighters who looked indestructible until he wasn’t. He blazed into the UFC with a series of extremely violent finishes and brawls at bantamweight, achieving a 20-0 record and a headliner showcase. Unfortunately that showcase fight was against Cody Garbrandt in the cancer boy days, and Almeida was KOed spectacularly in under 3 minutes. He never recovered his undefeated form, and is 1-2 since then, on a far less active schedule. This weekend he makes his featherweight debut against Martinez, another bantamweight grown large. Martinez is coming off of a TKO of solid Frankie Saenz, in a fight where Martinez was criticized for not even appearing to try to make weight. Note that Almeida has won a performance bonus in every one of his UFC wins.

Prelims
Lightweight Mateusz Gamrot vs Guram Kutateladze
This is a tapology fight. Gamrot is a 17-0 Polish KSW product with a bunch of wins over Norman Parke (most recently a cut stoppage iirc) and he went to ADCC to lose to Garry Tonon in 2019. That’s a pretty good resume, actually. For those who don’t know, ADCC is basically the world cup of grappling, and very few UFC fighters would even get close to qualifying, let alone competing. Kuts is an 11-2 Georgian (again!) who fights out of Sweden. He’s on an 8-fight streak but I don’t recognize any of his opponents, though his most recent win is over a 1-2 UFC vet and his opponents don’t have bad records.

Women’s Flyweight Gillian Robertson vs Poliana Botelho
This has the making of a “winner might get some spotlight” next time out bout. Robertson is a Canadian fighter with bright red dyed hair who has had a fairly tough run of opponents in her career. Unlike Randa Markos (for whom the same sentence is true) Robertson has a winning record in the UFC. She’s coming off of a submission win of Cortney Casey in June. Flyweight is shallow, and Robertson could conceivably get into a title discussion with an impressive win. The same is true for Botelho, who has 3 wins and a loss against top contender Cynthia Calvillo on her record. Botelho has lots of TKO wins, and a 33-second stoppage victory in the UFC.

:siren: Welterweight Claudio Silva vs James Krause
Stupid interchangeable Brazilians. I can’t keep em straight. Claudio Silva is one of those guys who flies under the radar. He’s 14-1, and is 5-0 in the UFC. He stopped Nordine Taleb and managed a split decision over Leon Edwards. How do I not know this guy? I know James Krause, though. He’s coming off of a split decision loss to Trevin Giles, at welterweight, with only hours of notice as he replaced a teammate. That was a great fight. Other than his “anyone, anywhere, anytime” loss, Krause is on a 6 fight streak at 55 and 70. Krause is an extremely all-around fighter with crisp kickboxing and good grappling credentials. This is a rad fight which should be on the main card, and the winner of this one will be hard to deny more promotional attention.

Middleweight John Phillips vs Jun Yong Park
Wow those are two super generic names aren’t they. Phillips is a Welsh journeyman with a baffling 1-4 UFC record which includes losses to Kevin Holland and Khamzat. Park “The Iron Turtle” is a 11-4 Korean who is 101 in the UFC. His best career win in my estimation is a 2017 submission of Ray Cooper III. :shrug:

Lightweight Jamie Mullarkey vs Faraes Ziam
Mullarkey is a 0-1 Aussie, though that one appearance was the crazy brawl loss to Brad Riddell on the UFC 243 undercard. Fares Ziam is a 10-3 young French fighter with a 0-1 UFC record. His record is entirely unremarkable and I know nothing about him or the one guy who he fought.

Light Heavyweight Gadzhimurad Antigulov vs Maxim Grishin
Big Avar Antigulov is a big Russian grappler who is 2-3 in the UFC, most recently seen being triangled by Paul Craig. Grishin is a 30-8 Russian who made his UFC debut vs Marcin Tybura, weighing in at 223 pounds for a heavyweight bout. RIP. He has a bunch of wins in PFL but I find PFL extremely difficult to follow so I can’t really say much more.

Bantamweight Mark Striegl vs Said Nurmagomedov
Striegl is a Japanese-Filipino fighter who is 18-2 overall and making his UFC debut. He has a decision win over Kai Kara-France, who now fights at 125, though I also observe that his two losses are to fighters with mediocre records at the time, and he has two wins by scarf hold armlock, so perhaps he has crushed a few cans. I’m not sure of Said’s relationship to Khabib but he looks Dagistani as gently caress. He’s 2-1 in the UFC with wins over Scoggins and Ricardo Ramos. He is also a very big betting favourite.

Welterweight David Zawada vs TBD
Zawada is 1-2 in the UFC and has a win over Abubakar Nurmagomedov. His opponent tested positive for Covid and they’re trying to find a replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Nurmagomedov (no not that one) and Striegl is going now.... and it's over!

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Dagestani fighters own

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

drat that was quick

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
love to get knocked unconscious while desperately clinging to a leg

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

-420 favorite starting at 4:20pm was a sign and quick ko, good start

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
this is the maximum amount of grishin, as allowed by law

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:zpatriot:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Grishin looks like a gigantic paul felder

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Thank you! I was trying to figure out who he reminded me of :lol:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Actually surprised that got called so close to the end of the round, Antigulov was taking hits but he was defending and throwing his own back, and there were 3 seconds left in the round.

Was it just a matter of taking too long to try and throw counters?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Actually surprised that got called so close to the end of the round, Antigulov was taking hits but he was defending and throwing his own back, and there were 3 seconds left in the round.

Was it just a matter of taking too long to try and throw counters?

Yeah I'm not going to really complain about it but with a couple seconds left he could have let it go to the end of the round

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I guess I'm just happy the ref erred on the side of caution, given how horrible it is when a guy continues to take a beating long after it is clear he's done.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
oh good, tiki ghosn

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
Jamie mularkey looks like a high school bully

Keptbroom
Sep 10, 2009

CommonShore posted:

https://twitter.com/felderpaul/status/1317564125002846210

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
mullarkey with the season one frasier haircut

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Mularky looks like that kid I hated 20 years ago

Mr Gorgon Holmes
Aug 1, 2007
Ask me about being possesed by the spirit of John Holmes
That haircut is the central coast personified

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love that Ziam was called the Smile Killer at the exact moment Mullarkey's smile died as he realized he'd lost the fight :allears:

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Ziam got his hand raised, and the 10 year old Jayne let loose a playground victory shout

Edit: barbaric yawp?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God, TKZ is just the best.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

The Iron Turtle is my 3rd favorite kaiju

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
Lol mk theme rules

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

I'd pay an extra $5 a month to not have these loving ads

gently caress.

Mr Gorgon Holmes
Aug 1, 2007

BrotherJayne posted:

gently caress.

Come now friend, it’s as real as it gets

Park is going full Chimaev

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
an airplane landing in the arena

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Mr Gorgon Holmes posted:

Come now friend, it’s as real as it gets

Park is going full Chimaev

poo poo, let Jon Anik reel off product placements over corner footage

Anything but this pop music.

Park went littlespoon

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Ok I can actually watch now, I saw the finishes but that's about it.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

BrotherJayne posted:

gently caress.

Yeah I've been doing exactly that since like...the second month espn+ was a thing. Long live fight pass.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Brut posted:

Yeah I've been doing exactly that since like...the second month espn+ was a thing. Long live fight pass.

Wait if I watch it on fight pass, no ads?

Also, the Iron Turtle seems like an excellent cuddler

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
lol is the iron turtle good or is Phillips really bad

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
I mean honestly park is smart, he’s tying legs up well, but this is so one sided

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

The Automator posted:

lol is the iron turtle good or is Phillips really bad

Park has broken the code... he's out there cracking the coconut!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

BrotherJayne posted:

No ads on Fight Pass, that's right. Just UFC promo videos or a 'the action will return after this break' graphic.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
Is his eye super hosed up

Nvm just a cut above it

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

BrotherJayne posted:

Yeah, sometimes mostly at the beginning or if fights end super quick you get some weird "ad" that's like uhh, nick diaz and some other dude talking about fighting at a hospital, there's one about kimbo where his mom says something, and a couple others like that...but they're not really ads they're just kinda generic UFC filler.

I wouldn't mind ads between fights that badly but fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck ads between rounds instead of letting me see the corner, that's why I pay the extra uhh, I think it's actually 4 bucks.

Mr Gorgon Holmes
Aug 1, 2007
Superior Korean Wrestling stifles the Welshman

Mr Gorgon Holmes
Aug 1, 2007

Brut posted:

Yeah, sometimes mostly at the beginning or if fights end super quick you get some weird "ad" that's like uhh, nick diaz and some other dude talking about fighting at a hospital, there's one about kimbo where his mom says something, and a couple others like that...but they're not really ads they're just kinda generic UFC filler.

This is what I was referring too with my “as real as it gets” comment you hear it about three times an adbreak

Edit: double post... apologies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

That was so one sided im half expecting phillips to unzip himself to reveal cm punk.