Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Tangled season 2 finale:

CASS!!! WTF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

a neat cape posted:

Tangled season 2 finale:

CASS!!! WTF

That season finale genuinely got me by surprise.
Have fun with season three. It contains two of the best songs.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I didn't even bother watching Tangled, but I became obsessed with watching all the songs on YouTube and watching some summaries of the plot to get the context. Some of those songs are Broadway-tier.
Great stuff even if you don't want to commit to watching the whole show.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think it's worth watching a few episodes to get some context to the songs (and their reprises, some songs you don't really see the whole of on youtube). I can't really recommend sitting through the whole show if you don't enjoy the non-song bits though.

I think there'd be songs that you might miss only looking on youtube and don't know that they exist, but I'm not sure. I kinda dig the wither and decay song, but it doesn't exactly have one good clean clip without people talking over it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something I love with wither and decay is that Rapunzel only ever speaks it. When she does start singing it, it's only when things have gone wrong and the spell has taken over completely. Also here's a decent clip of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dm7LR_cY_M

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

BioEnchanted posted:

Mao Mao balances it in an interesting way, because it's generally the heroes who are the mean ones so you tend to get the sincerity from Orangusnake and his crew. I like that while the characters he works with weren't his first choices, they were just what was left over when Mao Mao accidentally killed 90% of his crew by tilting the ship and causing them to fall to their deaths, he still treats them as if they were.

I also know it's kind of horrible, but I love it when the show is mean to Kevin. I don't know why but I love when bad things happen to the little porcupine. He does not deserve any of it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

MonsterEnvy posted:

I also know it's kind of horrible, but I love it when the show is mean to Kevin. I don't know why but I love when bad things happen to the little porcupine. He does not deserve any of it.

The Sweetiepies exist on a continuum between "basically well-meaning but unbelievably destructive and stupid little hellion" to "horrible, awful unbelievably destructive little hellion."

Kevin, uniquely, doesn't seem to be either of those things, but the viewer is willing to believe he probably deserves it based on the law of averages.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Every show needs a Hans Moleman.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm willing to believe based on it's behaviour that the sweetiepies are the way they are partially because of the Crystal Pure Heart. I think it's deliberately coddled them to the point that they literally cannot survive without it to force them to worship it and give it all their love and attention. It's acting up NOW because Mao Mao and Badgerclops are taking attention away from it as the town's new guardians, and it's feeling threatened by that so is trying to tear them apart any way it can.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

cant cook creole bream posted:

That season finale genuinely got me by surprise.
Have fun with season three. It contains two of the best songs.

Crossing the Line is absolutely amazing

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Just watched s3e4 of Kipo and Netflix should be imprisoned for auto-skipping credits. Like every executive instantly jailed.

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.

al-azad posted:

Just watched s3e4 of Kipo and Netflix should be imprisoned for auto-skipping credits. Like every executive instantly jailed.

Double this because you can't just go and auto-resume after it skips to the next episode EVEN THOUGH THE PLAYED BAR STILL SHOWS A LITTLE BIT INCOMPLETE.

No, I'm not upset about it skipping on that same episode at all, why would you ask.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Amphibia had a fun little halloween episode. It doesn't really seem to fit in with the continuity of the rest of the show, since I feel like they've still got some transit time to get back from Newtopia (and past that frog robot that's been following them and waiting right outside the city).

It takes place on "shut-in day" a not-holiday where everybody locks themselves inside their houses instead of going out and traveling the neighborhood. Interesting message.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsaD7WJ-DUw

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
All I know is that /co/ immediately leaped on that episode cause it did a "non-human characters as humans" segment and /co/ are suckers for that kind of gimmick(like how the otherwise run of the mill cartoon Fish Hooks is pretty much only ever talked about in the context of them having done a similar episode towards the end of it's run)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

SlothfulCobra posted:

Amphibia had a fun little halloween episode. It doesn't really seem to fit in with the continuity of the rest of the show, since I feel like they've still got some transit time to get back from Newtopia (and past that frog robot that's been following them and waiting right outside the city).

https://twitter.com/Radrappy/status/1308549120366276609?s=20

drrockso20 posted:

(like how the otherwise run of the mill cartoon Fish Hooks is pretty much only ever talked about in the context of them having done a similar episode towards the end of it's run)

There's something almost mind-boggling how Fish Hooks was pretty basic (from what I've seen at least) given the pedigree of a lot of the staff on the show and the legacy of a lot of the then-newer-to-the-industry staff who would go on to work on other shows.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I always had the impression that Cartoon Network had been putting a lot of work into nursing creators to go outside the box and innovate the medium, while Disney only put money into more offbeat animation projects after Cartoon Network paved the way by showing there was a market for more mature and narrative projects.

Although weirdly Cartoon Network's let a lot of it's biggest hits end and doesn't exactly have much replacing them, and I don't know what's coming up, while Disney has a few strong series running right now.

I don't really know what will come next for the industry either. I'd really like to see another musical cartoon like Tangled or Phineas and Ferb. And maybe the energy that Rise of TMNT had will catch on somewhere else.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Frogs as humans was neat, but what really got me was the visual nod to Junji Ito.

Making this my Halloween desktop background.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Finally finished watching Kipo, and it was excellent. I just wish we got more.

And I choose to believe they'll find a cure for the cure, even if that haven't by the end of the time skip.

Also, I would 100% play an RPG set in this world. If I could find people to play it with.

Also I'll second, third or whatever that the Amphibia HalloweenShut-In special was excellent.

Not 100% whether or not it's canon though, considering Matt Braly outright posted that it's got a n actual place it's supposed to fit in canon (after the next episode).
That'd be one way to for Polly to get her legs!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So apparently the Rescue Rangers movie is still happening:

https://thedisinsider.com/2020/10/19/exclusive-disneys-chip-n-dale-rescue-rangers/

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Huh, there's already a script for a Wolf-focused Kipo movie.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

Finally finished watching Kipo, and it was excellent. I just wish we got more.

And I choose to believe they'll find a cure for the cure, even if that haven't by the end of the time skip.

This seems really unlikely. They never even had any hope for a cure, since they were only looking for a vaccine. This is a fine but important distinction. A cure would return the mutation and restore the exact brain capacities, while a vaccine would just prevent a mute from being lobotomized this way.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So I was going through Disney plus, and apparently there's a Rocketeer cartoon? What the heck?

On the plus side, The Owl House is coming to UK Disney+ October 30th! :toot:

Or should that be :hoot:?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

So I was going through Disney plus, and apparently there's a Rocketeer cartoon? What the heck?

On the plus side, The Owl House is coming to UK Disney+ October 30th! :toot:

Or should that be :hoot:?
Given what I know of my fellow people on this blighted chimera of nations, about six months too late.

Disney really need to buck their loving ideas up.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Everyone in Australia pirates and this is why

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Never knew I was Australian

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

T-man posted:

Never knew I was Australian

Sorry, you had to find out that way, mate. Of to the prison camp with you.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Similar story for Star Trek Lower Decks. It’s only been released on CBS All Access for the US (maybe Canada), and literally nowhere else in the world, with no word about when/if anywhere else. Basically you wait in vain hope or you pirate.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Similar story for Star Trek Lower Decks. It’s only been released on CBS All Access for the US (maybe Canada), and literally nowhere else in the world, with no word about when/if anywhere else. Basically you wait in vain hope or you pirate.

It aired on CTV SciFi here in Canada, but that was basically an afterthought to it actually being on Crave, a Canadian proprietary streaming service that comes bundled with most cable packages these days anyway. Same story with Discovery and Picard.

Actually getting first-run Star Trek shows is one of those rare instances of Canada not getting screwed for digital content vis-a-vis the rest of the world, so I'll take what I can get.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
New Animaniacs trailer.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Looks fun!

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
I am still getting used to the new animation style, especially with Pinky and the Brain. However, some of the little clips in there did get me excited like anime-niacs.

Will definitely be giving it a go when it arrives.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Honestly, now that somebody mentioned it, not digging that linework.

I hope they don't go too hard on "man, look how things have changed since the 90s" because their original backstory was that they had been locked up in the tower for 60 years after being created in the 30s, and there's a lot more difference between the 30s and 90s than between the 90s and now. Smartphones haven't actually changed the world that much.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

SlothfulCobra posted:

Smartphones haven't actually changed the world that much.

I don't think I'd say "society has changed more from the 90s to know than from the 30s to 90s", that's probably going way too far; but smartphones and the Internet really have absolutely revolutionized society, the world is completely different from how it was in the 90s.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

"Turn on the blacklight"

I had to rewind for that joke and they did exactly what I thought they did.

I missed this show.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Found the Trump reference, they made him a cyclops in a greek Odyssey parody.
Ughhhh, please just scrub him from any animated show, it's not funny.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

JazzFlight posted:

Was about to post the same thing. I believe the nation, nay the world, had run Trump jokes into the ground by about May 2017 and ever since then they've been beating that dead horse until it's mush. If comedy equals tragedy plus time, I think the world will be ready for Trump jokes again in approximately 2050.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Looking forward to Comedy Central’s Lil’ Trump, premiering this December.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

JazzFlight posted:

i'm like 50:50 on the original series have a donnie ref somewhere.

like original Good Eats has a joke in the peach episode.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
He's been a joke for decades. But god, that trumpclops is gross looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I Am Fowl posted:

He's been a joke for decades. But god, that trumpclops is gross looking.

I mean I feel like that part was inevitable, once there's going to be a Trump image it's inevitably going to be gross, even political cartoonists that literally want to suck his dick can't manage to make him look charming.