Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wait what is a brownie other than either a girl scout, a small gremlin that lives in your house, or a sweet american chocolate cake-ish thing?

Is there some sort of non-sweet brownie? Is that not just manky shortbread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
My frustration with virtue signalling is that it does describe a real thing that people do and should be rightly disapproved of. Like someone who changed their Facebook profile picture to a black square in May and made no further engagement with the Black Lives Matter movement isn't really supporting BLM, they're just communicating that they're the kind of person who supports BLM. Signalling their virtue, as it were.

Where it goes wrong is when chuds label any outward expression of morals or ethics as hollow, attention-seeking behavior. Like they assume that since they don't care about a thing, anyone else who professes to must have an ulterior motive.

It's very much like "white knighting" in that way. Any man who so much as hints toward feminism must be doing it to get in some woman's pants.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Wait what is a brownie other than either a girl scout, a small gremlin that lives in your house, or a sweet american chocolate cake-ish thing?

They wanted decorated, fudgy chocolate brownies, and explicitely said "now the tricky bit is that most decorations are really sweet, so they'll have to be careful that its not overpowering and cloying and disgustingly over-sweet"

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

OwlFancier posted:

That thread is just the oddest, about 5 of them independently say we don’t have peanut butter here and that the idea of chocolate and peanut butter is alien to us.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

They wanted decorated, fudgy chocolate brownies, and explicitely said "now the tricky bit is that most decorations are really sweet, so they'll have to be careful that its not overpowering and cloying and disgustingly over-sweet"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

learnincurve posted:

That thread is just the oddest, about 5 of them independently say we don’t have peanut butter here and that the idea of chocolate and peanut butter is alien to us.

??

Like I've never eaten it but clearly it is a thing that exists? Are they all dads who have never been to the baking aisle of a supermarket?

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Brownies kind of are disgustingly sweet and sickly and cloying, I assumed that's the point of them.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

wizzardstaff posted:

My frustration with virtue signalling is that it does describe a real thing that people do and should be rightly disapproved of. Like someone who changed their Facebook profile picture to a black square in May and made no further engagement with the Black Lives Matter movement isn't really supporting BLM, they're just communicating that they're the kind of person who supports BLM. Signalling their virtue, as it were.

Where it goes wrong is when chuds label any outward expression of morals or ethics as hollow, attention-seeking behavior. Like they assume that since they don't care about a thing, anyone else who professes to must have an ulterior motive.

It's very much like "white knighting" in that way. Any man who so much as hints toward feminism must be doing it to get in some woman's pants.

It's one of those things that because CHUDs are so strong about it, it's better to choose the lesser of the evils and let performative virtue be. There are much, much worse things a person can be in the world and if someone's profile picture is your biggest day to day concern then you honestly have a relatively easy life. Either that or it's the only target you think you can get away with venting your rage about your socioeconomic impotence on, in which case your life is very sad as well.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

OwlFancier posted:

Wait until you hear what they did to bagels.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

OwlFancier posted:

??

Like I've never eaten it but clearly it is a thing that exists? Are they all dads who have never been to the baking aisle of a supermarket?

Wait, is peanut butter uncommon in Britain?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Wait, is peanut butter uncommon in Britain?

I would think you could probably buy it everywhere but it's just not a thing we eat as much as Americans do.

Like maple syrup, because we don't produce it here it's not common, you can get it but most of the things you would use it for in the US we would probably use golden syrup for, not least because real maple syrup is quite expensive. While I assume the US would use corn syrup for structure and maple syrup for flavour (I don't think you can even get corn syrup in the UK outside of catering supply)

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 22:33 on Oct 17, 2020

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
It's not exactly a staple diet and PB&J is exclusively a thing for students and kids in yank sitcoms (not least because of the jelly/jam technology gap) but you can get the usual dozen or so variations on crunchy and smooth in any big supermarket.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also yes it took me a while to realise that peanut butter and jelly was not, like, jell-o in a sandwich. It's what the US calls jam and is also I gather slightly different from what we would call jam.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Also yes it took me a while to realise that peanut butter and jelly was not, like, jell-o in a sandwich. It's what the US calls jam and is also I gather slightly different from what we would call jam.

Fruit preserves. I'm sure there's a difference to people who know but jam and jelly are used pretty interchangeably as words over here. I think the reason it's always called peanut butter and jelly and never peanut butter and jam has more to do with the meter of the phrase than if you use jelly or jam.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think US jelly is runnier, more like a sauce.

E: also apparently in the UK jam has to be at least 60% sugar :v:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Skwirl posted:

Fruit preserves. I'm sure there's a difference to people who know but jam and jelly are used pretty interchangeably as words over here. I think the reason it's always called peanut butter and jelly and never peanut butter and jam has more to do with the meter of the phrase than if you use jelly or jam.
Jams are made of fruit pulp, jellies just use the juice. Jelly as in jelly and ice-cream is a completely different thing from jam jellies and has gelatin in it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

For (at least) the first half of the 20th century British food was legendarily bad, including among the British themselves. Most food was either boiled or roasted; vegetables were boiled so long that they were nearly tasteless. The British as a whole disapproved of garlic, of olive oil, and complained of the smell of onions. The extremely popular "aerated bread" wasn't yeast-raised; it was raised by forcing CO2 into the dough. It isn't just about wartime austerity; it's about expectations of what food was and what it would taste like.

Every historian I've read says that Elizabeth David made a profound difference. Her first book, French Country Cooking, began a revolution in British home cuisine: fresh vegetables cooked much shorter times, bolder flavors, "exotic" ingredients. Her obituary in the Independent read "Writer who performed a gastronomic miracle dies"; food historians agree that this is an exaggeration, and overemphasizes the hero theory of change. There are also big class issues, of course; she wasn't writing for people who had no money.

Complaining about the overall quality of British food in 2020 is just bigotry. Complaining about it in 1929 was accurate.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I think US jelly is runnier, more like a sauce.

E: also apparently in the UK jam has to be at least 60% sugar :v:

American jelly and jam is also full of sugar, in terms of being runny it's usually slightly thicker than like a fancy honey or something, plus it often has seeds and stuff

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

learnincurve posted:

The french however built their capital city in the wrong place and the aristocracy turned all the fertile land round it into vineyards. This meant meat and fish was pretty much rotten by the time it got to the city and then navigated through the packed streets. Their solution was to invent marinades and sauces that would hide the rotten meat, as the British didn’t need to do this and would serve meat just lightly dry spiced. Made sense for the french government to push the lie that french cooking was awesome look at the plain English food haw haw in case the general population looked at the champagne region and went “hang on why are there not sheep on here”

dude, they weren't slaughtering the animals in the distant countryside and transporting slowly rotting meat into Paris. They brought the living animals into the city and slaughtered them there.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The UK is also chock-full of delicious Indian restaurants and kebab shops, the large cities, of course, have wonderful food from every corner of the globe.

The differences in food and culture between the US and UK are subtle, and are worth a chuckle if you travel from one to the other frequently.

If you're an American sailor in the UK, and you want to relax off the boat for awhile, the big pubs often have good WiFi, decent British Food for a tenner, with a beer, and don't mind if you spend all evening there talking to the folks back home, and buying their loving ridiculously week beer and wee little shots of Scotch Whiskey, because the UK are assholes about how they tax booze, and you can't get a decent high-ABV IPA in the country that loving invented it.

E: also they pronounce it ee-pa, instead of eye-pee-ay which sounds stupid.

Elviscat has a new favorite as of 23:11 on Oct 17, 2020

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Elviscat posted:

you can't get a decent high-ABV IPA in the country that loving invented it.

E: also they pronounce it ee-pa, instead of eye-pee-ay which sounds stupid.

This is bizarrely and absolutely incorrect. I'm in the trade and you totally can get a good IPA here between 5 to 7% abv unless you're drinking in the poo poo places. Also we say eye pee ay pretty much everywhere.

Plus, this stuff is god tier food. Fight me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am now curious what impression of the UK you get if you specifically spend your time in major container port pubs.

Also "eepa" sounds german, are you sure you weren't in germany at the time?

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 23:21 on Oct 17, 2020

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

OwlFancier posted:

I am now curious what impression of the UK you get if you specifically spend your time in major container port pubs.

maybe they met one of those people who try to pronounce acronyms as words

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

sugar mouse posted:

This is bizarrely and absolutely incorrect. I'm in the trade and you totally can get a good IPA here between 5 to 7% abv unless you're drinking in the poo poo places. Also we say eye pee ay pretty much everywhere.

Plus, this stuff is god tier food. Fight me.

Ah yes, the legendary "high abv" of 5%.

That's barely more than an OG Budweiser.

Good IPAs here start at 6.5% and end around 9.

Beer IS taxed by ABV though, right? Or was my bartender lying to me?

ee-pa might have been a Glaswegian or a Cornwall local variant, I can't remember where I had that communication difficulty with the bartenders, probably because I ordered too many.

plenty of good beer and small breweries in the UK, I'm just throwing shade for fun, and small brewers over here are locked in an insane arms-race over the ABV of various IPAs and stouts. That pub I was talking about had like 20+ beers on tap and in bottle, from the silly cheap UK beer taps that have visible frost/condensation and advocate that it's "ICE COLD" to traditional room temp cellar beers, pumped with a hand-pump without the added CO2 that's usually added, overall the average ABV is a couple points lower than a similar beer-focused taproom in the US

The British just seem to always go out of their way to poo poo on American culture, by asking Americans if "(we) know that's what alcoholics drink, right?" While I'm trying to drink 2 2L bottles of cheap cider on the train, or telling my buddy "WHAT? NO! That's so American" when he orders a cup of ranch dressing to dip his pizza in, at a really nice wood-fired pizza joint on the water.

E:

OwlFancier posted:

Helensborough, Glasgow, Edinburough, and Plymouth were the places I've been to repeatedly, I don't know if that would color my perception of the UK due to regional differences.

E2:
I, uh, might actually be confusing the UK with Norway on the pronunciation thing.

I continue to blame that on the item I was ordering.

Anyway's Norway's basically like the UK but not an island and you can understand the people there when they speak English.

Elviscat has a new favorite as of 23:37 on Oct 17, 2020

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

doverhog posted:

Marriage is a sham, you just gently caress, and get drunk. Children also are a sham. They will die in the afterworld anyway.

Wait so how do they get to the afterworld?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
this sucks let’s end talking about britain and go back to making fun of the guy who said everyone in france ate rotting meat before they invented fridges

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/ashishkjha/status/1317576160990068736

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Speaking of virtue signalling

loving hell chud roommate

e: he literally said "covfefe" under his breath while dishing it up I swear to god

Data Graham has a new favorite as of 23:55 on Oct 17, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Speaking of virtue signalling

loving hell chud roommate

I'm gonna guess they never bought that poo poo before.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Captain Monkey posted:

Pate is really good. So is sushi. So is steak tartar.

Good point, you're absolutely right. I meant the stuff that clown had on his tweet

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

SpacePig posted:

Tits is raw meat.

Not if you do it right

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Man who has fashioned a career as a critic does not understand the least subtle show in human history

https://twitter.com/_flowerguardian/status/1317401691076124673?s=21

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Man who has fashioned a career as a critic does not understand the least subtle show in human history

https://twitter.com/_flowerguardian/status/1317401691076124673?s=21

Why the gently caress don't I get paid for having terrible opinions?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Skwirl posted:

You post them here where they don't really stand out from the crowd.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Skwirl posted:

You actually paid someone to post your terrible opinions.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

(sobs) I love everyone in this bar.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

I’m really tired of IPAs being 7+ ABV. I am a small person and I like to hang out over beers for a while but I don’t like being overly smashed. Also not a fan of the alcohol heat and phenols that come through high ABV IPAs. High alcohol beers have their place for sure, but IPA should be at least somewhat sessionable. 5.5 - 6.5% is the sweet spot for me.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I’m not a fan of IPAs. Much prefer a stout or Pilsner.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
IPAs taste soapy to me so I avoid them generally.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I used to watch Moviebob's stuff back when he started on video game analysis videos as the "Game OverThinker." They started out fairly okay and I remember liking them, but it took him making maybe three videos tops before he became drunk on his own farts and started inserting his own metaplot fanfiction in the videos. It was extremely weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Shithouse Dave posted:

I’m really tired of IPAs being 7+ ABV. I am a small person and I like to hang out over beers for a while but I don’t like being overly smashed. Also not a fan of the alcohol heat and phenols that come through high ABV IPAs. High alcohol beers have their place for sure, but IPA should be at least somewhat sessionable. 5.5 - 6.5% is the sweet spot for me.

Just stick with "hard" cider maybe? The ones labeled as dry are pretty nice sipping drinks and not super boozy.

Man Moviebob sucks.