Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's me Endorph. Namina is the gay Kairi and Xion is trans Sora and they're dating. I have many stories in the pipeline for this.
i take it back, youre the coolest person in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
is only hetero vanilla

is that what the word means now

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Elliot get out of that costume

That burger doesn't even have strings, how can you wield it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

is only hetero vanilla

its a reference to dumb early/mid 2000s images trying to express support for gay people that refer to heterosexuality as 'normal' or 'vanilla,' which fits with the kh fandom aesthetic

like this

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Bland posted:

I mean I saw it as a response to the post directly above it that was directly engaging in that kind of behaviour but we can see what we want to see I guess.

It's telling you felt called out by that post.

(No seriously this isn't that bullshit someone said something related to an ongoing conversation actively happening talking about that conversation as an example of something. It's not some separate thought in a vacuum it was part of the discussion at hand. Sorry you don't understand conversations to just try and get an own in on Endorph.)

Endorph posted:

i take it back, youre the coolest person in this thread

As the only woman to truly understand the genius/madness of Nomura it is my duty to fill in the gaps he implied but left un-detailed.

cheetah7071 posted:

is only hetero vanilla

I'm sorry I'm posting with my vibes at a very high frequency so you have to be very cool and smart to get it. (What Endorph says.)

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 17, 2020

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the most hosed up thing about that image is that the best couple in strawberry panic is the one that only gets 10 seconds of on-screen interaction immediately before the show ends. and the couple that are just two comic relief characters who exist entirely to have a scene where they play thumb war and then make out

END ME SCOOB posted:

elliot rushing onto the scene throwing a bag of carl's jr. burgers at a giant hulking demonic robot beast: "I'LLBACKYOUUP"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

its a reference to dumb early/mid 2000s images trying to express support for gay people that refer to heterosexuality as 'normal' or 'vanilla,' which fits with the kh fandom aesthetic

like this

thank you

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

END ME SCOOB posted:

Here's a burgformance just for you :burger:

I can't picture Elliot even pretending to wink slyly at somebody; he'd find a way to trip over himself

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

the most hosed up thing about that image is that the best couple in strawberry panic is the one that only gets 10 seconds of on-screen interaction immediately before the show ends. and the couple that are just two comic relief characters who exist entirely to have a scene where they play thumb war and then make out
the most hosed up thing about that image is im pretty sure the regular couple is from an anime from like 2011 so it has to be at least that recent

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if elliot tried to be a sexy hamburglar his dad would break into the room through a back door and shout "ELLIOT! I WANT YOU TO KNOW... I SUPPORT YOU EVEN THOUGH I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TRYING TO DO"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

if elliot tried to be a sexy hamburglar his dad would break into the room through a back door and shout "ELLIOT! I WANT YOU TO KNOW... I SUPPORT YOU EVEN THOUGH I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TRYING TO DO"
And then elliotd gain his scraft offscreen

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Daaaad I'm the Hamburglar not the Hugburglar

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

END ME SCOOB posted:

Definitely where I'm at. A buddy of mine just blazed through it and said it has a good payoff but god, playing TX feels like so much more of a slog than Cold Steel. Especially since the dungeons haven't really changed since chapter 2.

i fortunately did think it was fun! but almost every dungeon is done in like fifteen minutes anyway, that element never really changes. it's arcadey and i do think having four different gauges for your special moves is a bit much, but i had a way better time with the gameplay than like, persona 4

edit: i realize this isn't super helpful. how far are you and what's the biggest slog?

Looper fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 18, 2020

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I was not trying to call anyone in particular out and certainly was not intending it to come off as dismissive of people having opinions at all, and if that was the takeaway then I apologize.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm going to dive deeper into the atelier community where there's less fighting over what the best game is than other jrpg series, and instead you just get people making jokes about thighs 24 hours a day now

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
is there even an atelier community

for real I don't know of any places on the internet that have a high enough concentration of fans to support sustained conversation (doesn't mean they don't exist but I haven't found them)

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

what game is this?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Phantasium posted:

what game is this?

nora to toki no koubou: kiri no mori no majou

atlus atelier clone with music composed by michiko naruke of wild arms fame

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

is there even an atelier community

for real I don't know of any places on the internet that have a high enough concentration of fans to support sustained conversation (doesn't mean they don't exist but I haven't found them)

theres an atelier reddit but its mostly about thighs

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
there are people here who wouldn't mind talking about atelier

that person is me

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's hosed up that gust has had artists with maid fetishes and feet fetishes but it's the thighs that ignited endless fixation

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Leraika posted:

there are people here who wouldn't mind talking about atelier

that person is me

we do have a thread but in between releases it's mostly just posting sales

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Colonel posted:

Endorph posted:

And then elliotd gain his scraft offscreen

lmao

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This song is a real jam at 1.5 times speed.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://files.catbox.moe/0xa8ms.mp4 i havent posted this one in a while so heres the classic

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
YOU GET I BELIEVE IN DAM LIFE
WE MAKE A WONDERFUL HAPPY TIME

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i finished okage. the localization really strangled the life and personality out of that game, and by the end it definitely felt like they stopped caring. gravestones that read "React as someone has a family" for example, and constant stop-and-starting sentences with confusing punctuation

also i finished it in 15 hours, idk why howlongtobeat had it at 25, it's not a hard or long game, it just feels longer because getting in and out of battles is a 30 second process every time

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Looper posted:

edit: i realize this isn't super helpful. how far are you and what's the biggest slog?

It's really just that the action combat is soooooo samey. I'm in late chapter 4 and every time I clear a dungeon I just feel exhausted with it and stop for a while. A chapter starts, I have fun running around the town, and then suddenly a side quest drags me into an old dungeon to find someone's missing pants and my excitement drops off a cliff.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

END ME SCOOB posted:

It's really just that the action combat is soooooo samey. I'm in late chapter 4 and every time I clear a dungeon I just feel exhausted with it and stop for a while. A chapter starts, I have fun running around the town, and then suddenly a side quest drags me into an old dungeon to find someone's missing pants and my excitement drops off a cliff.

tbh i dunno what would make any of this that exhausting cause those sidequests are super short and you basically don't have to put any effort into old dungeons at that point in the game, and regular mid-chapter dungeons already aren't very short

i think the only real bad parts of tokyo xanadu are like, the chapter finales, the final dungeon, etc. those are the ones that like actually do drag, even as someone who doesn't mind the game's combat. but idk you can always just set the difficulty to super easy and then even the last boss is pretty short

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

END ME SCOOB posted:

while i won't say the gameplay paradigm gets completely flipped or anything, i will say the character you get in chapter 5 has a neat wrinkle and that's when the plot starts ramping up. dungeons get a little more engaging to explore as well imo. but again if you aren't enjoying the fundamental way battles work, that won't change

it's one of my favorite games played this year, any game that (endgame spoilers) allows every member of the team to participate in the final battle and changes the music of the bonus boss to the anime opening halfway through is practically made for me

Looper fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Oct 18, 2020

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Endorph posted:

like this

it a very earnest kind of stupidity at least. i dont miss it or anything but i can laugh at it at least

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The Colonel posted:

tbh i dunno what would make any of this that exhausting cause those sidequests are super short and you basically don't have to put any effort into old dungeons at that point in the game, and regular mid-chapter dungeons already aren't very short
i mean, if you don't like the combat in the first place, having to do more of it will quickly sour the mood no matter how braindead it is (and it being braindead may actually contribute)

i don't exactly agree with finding the combat exhausting but i think i get it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
thinking again about how tenshi no uta ii was such a weird proto-wild arms 1 jrpg that despite having a mostly standard-ish jrpg ost the final boss theme of the game presents the first instance of michiko naruke shifting into Wild West Mode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB7Ku50lBmE

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The Colonel posted:

thinking again about how tenshi no uta ii was such a weird proto-wild arms 1 jrpg that despite having a mostly standard-ish jrpg ost the final boss theme of the game presents the first instance of michiko naruke shifting into Wild West Mode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB7Ku50lBmE

Oh man, there's even the little midi "DodoDOOO" that would reappear stronger than ever in WA's battle theme. Naruke owns forever

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Amppelix posted:

i mean, if you don't like the combat in the first place, having to do more of it will quickly sour the mood no matter how braindead it is (and it being braindead may actually contribute)

i don't exactly agree with finding the combat exhausting but i think i get it

It's not exhausting, per se, it's just that every time I remember "oh right, this is what this game does here" it deflates every time. I enjoy the town. I like the sheer variety of the space. Combat hasn't changed in multiple chapters, though, and the dungeons all having multiple "kill all these enemy" rooms that halt your progress mean any return fight is going to still take a bit just due to those roadblocks, as opposed to "run past enemies that might even flee you if you're potent enough" in, say, a Cold Steel.

Looper posted:

while i won't say the gameplay paradigm gets completely flipped or anything, i will say the character you get in chapter 5 has a neat wrinkle and that's when the plot starts ramping up. dungeons get a little more engaging to explore as well imo. but again if you aren't enjoying the fundamental way battles work, that won't change

But this is encouraging and I'll push on, it's mostly just that the combat is mind-numbingly simple and yet still tedious. I've seen this company do this exact genre better repeatedly.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

The Colonel posted:

https://files.catbox.moe/0xa8ms.mp4 i havent posted this one in a while so heres the classic

"Discharge"

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
In Pillars 2, does Overseeing increase Barbarians Cleave AoE?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

if i wanted to play BoF 3, are there meaningful differences between the PS and PSP versions?

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

In Pillars 2, does Overseeing increase Barbarians Cleave AoE?

i think overseeing does work with the barbarians carnage yeah

e; picked up again working on the first of vesperias post-game dungeons. got a good way though (only getting two fake coins heh) until i got into a fight against karols old guild members. i got unlucky with the aoe of a mystic arte and every one got fatal striked. :shepicide: lol two hours lost.

Joey McChrist fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Amppelix posted:

if i wanted to play BoF 3, are there meaningful differences between the PS and PSP versions?

the psp version removes ultraman references