Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Since you’re on a Mac, open Terminal, navigate to “boot” on the SD card and type “touch ssh”

If you write a lot of Pi images “applepibaker” can do that step automatically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Thanks!

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

You probably shouldn’t post a photo of your IoT hub’s secret key.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

If you’re running a pi 4 I’d encourage running it sans box as it tends to run hot and you’d likely hit thermal throttling if it’s enclosed like that. An active cooling case would be a decent call as well. Not a major issue I’d you’re just puttering around, but something to keep in mind.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Sep 27, 2020

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

I've got a general SBC/Linux question not directly related to Pis, hope it's okay to ask here. How does Linux determine how much RAM is available for it to use?

My situation:

I have an old Beagleboard-XM lying around that I wanted to repurpose for random stuff. I installed the debian 9.5 image from the beagleboard website and ran into issues trying to 'apt update' to get the latest package list. dmesg was reporting that the memory manager was killing apt because the system had run out of memory. As a workaround, I made a swapfile on the SD card.

free -m and the Memory: line in dmesg was reporting about 230Mb. The board is supposed to have 512Mb of RAM.

Later on, I installed Arch instead onto the Beagleboard. Arch correctly reports the full 512Mb of RAM as available.

So why the discrepancy? My only guess is that it's something related to the u-boot bootloader, but I'm unable to find the configuration/sources for those to compare.

EDIT: Digging some more shows that u-boot is responsible for handing off memory information to the Linux kernel. Now I just need to dig up a serial cable and monitor how the boot process differs between the u-boot files provided in Debian vs Arch.

yergacheffe fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 19, 2020

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
Hey thread. I just got a Pi 4 4gb to mess around with some basic stuff in my spare time but I’m having some trouble getting it to work with an LG 65” 4k tv. I was hoping to hook it up and control it via VNC/SSH but it won’t boot when connected and the LG says no signal. Can’t even ping it after turning it on so it’s likely not even booting.

Anybody have similar issues hooking up to a tv? I’ve found some references to the issue online but no concrete fix.

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart
The Second Meanest Man In The World

Whoreson Welles posted:

Hey thread. I just got a Pi 4 4gb to mess around with some basic stuff in my spare time but I’m having some trouble getting it to work with an LG 65” 4k tv. I was hoping to hook it up and control it via VNC/SSH but it won’t boot when connected and the LG says no signal. Can’t even ping it after turning it on so it’s likely not even booting.

Anybody have similar issues hooking up to a tv? I’ve found some references to the issue online but no concrete fix.

I had issues like this with my unit that came with the cannakit. I think that the first boot, the one that gives you the setup options doesn't really detect the video that you are connecting to and the low-end defaults that it would choose don't work with your TV. I am not sure about the why, but I do know that I was able to fix it by getting a small (tiny!) monitor for setup and then once I picked all my defaults, I was able to connect via VNC/SSH.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
I actually managed to get it working by first setting up in a normal headless setup, then adjusting certain boot options (specified 1080 resolution) and now it works.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
I think I want to get a Pi for a bunch of little projects. I want to run a VPN server, a print server, and hook up a bunch of sensors, maybe to build a weather station. I was thinking of running Ubuntu Server LTS. Mostly I want to hook up lots of peripherals and tinker with things. My instinct would be to get a Pi 4 with 8 Gb of memory, but I want to keep energy use to a minimum, so if that much RAM would be overkill or an older model runs more efficiently, that would be good to know. Is there a big difference in thermals and energy usage, or just get whatever?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Centrist Committee posted:

I think I want to get a Pi for a bunch of little projects. I want to run a VPN server, a print server, and hook up a bunch of sensors, maybe to build a weather station. I was thinking of running Ubuntu Server LTS. Mostly I want to hook up lots of peripherals and tinker with things. My instinct would be to get a Pi 4 with 8 Gb of memory, but I want to keep energy use to a minimum, so if that much RAM would be overkill or an older model runs more efficiently, that would be good to know. Is there a big difference in thermals and energy usage, or just get whatever?

If you have a power budget because you need a battery then worry about power draw. Otherwise any passive air cooled computer isn’t going to draw much power. If it doesn’t need a fan to dissipate the heat, it’s not drawing much power in terms of your electricity bill.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

CarForumPoster posted:

If you have a power budget because you need a battery then worry about power draw. Otherwise any passive air cooled computer isn’t going to draw much power. If it doesn’t need a fan to dissipate the heat, it’s not drawing much power in terms of your electricity bill.

I’d like to get to a power budget, and one of the sensors I’d like to use or build is some kind of kill-a-watt type thing that would let me collect power usage. There are probably easier ways to do it, but it seems like a dumb, nerdy way to learn about it.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

I’d like to get to a power budget, and one of the sensors I’d like to use or build is some kind of kill-a-watt type thing that would let me collect power usage. There are probably easier ways to do it, but it seems like a dumb, nerdy way to learn about it.

There are in-line USB current meters that have little OLED or LED displays on them.
If you're just looking for nerd points you could try to read the data off of one using the GPIO pins to make a power-aware RasPi.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
An 8GB pi is definitely overkill for a few services too, I bet a standard 2GB model would work great. If you don't boot into or use the graphical interface there's not much memory used by the base OS. You can probably run 10-20 little services before really running into much memory pain.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
^ Yeah, no GUI, all shell all day

poeticoddity posted:

There are in-line USB current meters that have little OLED or LED displays on them.
If you're just looking for nerd points you could try to read the data off of one using the GPIO pins to make a power-aware RasPi.

Idk what this means but it sounds exactly the kind of thing I’m hoping to get out of this project

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

^ Yeah, no GUI, all shell all day

Idk what this means but it sounds exactly the kind of thing I’m hoping to get out of this project

https://www.amazon.com/PowerJive-Voltage-Multimeter-chargers-capacity/dp/B013FANC9W

Something like this, but hack it so you're reading data out to the Raspi instead of you visually reading the display on the meter.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Grab a current sensing board like this and you could measure the power consumed by the raspberry pi in your code directly too: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-ina260-current-voltage-power-sensor-breakout You'd route the power to the pi through the board (check the guide for how to wire it up to stuff) instead of connecting the pi directly to the USB power source.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
That’s cool as hell

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Quick question, my very old Raspberry Pi that I was using for Pihole had it's ethernet port up and die on me. I bought a new Pi 4 but I was wondering, can I just swap the SD card with Pihole into my new Pi and start using it or will I need to configure it from scratch?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Handsome Ralph posted:

Quick question, my very old Raspberry Pi that I was using for Pihole had it's ethernet port up and die on me. I bought a new Pi 4 but I was wondering, can I just swap the SD card with Pihole into my new Pi and start using it or will I need to configure it from scratch?

I think some of the super old Pis are 32 bit, in which case the card won't boot. If it's from the same CPU architecture but just a different Pi version, see if it boots, and then make sure you're using the kernel and firmware for the Pi you're using. It may boot with degraded firmware and that's easier than just making a whole new card.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Ah right I didn't even think of that (32 bit architecture). I'll just set it up from scratch, thanks!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
As far as I've heard as long as the OS is reasonably up to date such that it'd have driver support for the newer hardware it should generally work just fine to take a card from an older Pi and boot it on a newer one. 64 bit Pis can still boot 32 bit kernels.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
I installed a mazer case on mine instead of my cardboard box setup and it’s great.

I got real scared when I saw all the wires/fan but it’s really easy to setup and it’s quiet and cool.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Does anyone know if the VideCoreIV/OpenMax libraries are available as source code anywhere? All I can find are the binaries (https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/tree/master/opt/vc).

I have set up a Pi4 with fedora and I'd like to try jellyfin with hardware acceleration but that depends on openmax (https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/administration/hardware-acceleration.html#raspberry-pi-3-and-4).

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I thought that was one of the biggest complaints of the hardcore libre community, that there was no source, and never would be, for the video drivers.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

ante posted:

I thought that was one of the biggest complaints of the hardcore libre community, that there was no source, and never would be, for the video drivers.

I think the forever closed source items are the parts that concern video encode/decode and HDCP, the rest wouldn't impact broadcom that much to provide specs.

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

Wasn't sure if this was better here, or in the learning electronics thread, but wanted to get a sanity check before starting in on a project. I have about 10 paper star lanterns that typically are lit with a low-wattage incandescent bulb. I want to use some LED bulbs, and use a Raspberry pi as a controller to make a sort of chandelier. I would additionally like it to be controllable via Google Home, and do some neat light tricks like dimming, "twinkling," set on a schedule, etc. I've seen a couple projects using strip lights to do something similar and interfacing Google Home through IFTTT. This would pretty much be the same deal, but using larger bulbs that will be a bit more multi-directional.

I'm looking at these bulbs in 5v https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AU6UG70?pf_rd_r=R6C02PGMP8G30VQX2HZX&pf_rd_p=edaba0ee-c2fe-4124-9f5d-b31d6b1bfbee&th=1

I haven't done a ton of work with serial interfaces, except for a little freezer thermometer I built in the past. Am I understanding correctly that so long as all the bulbs are wired to the appropriate GPIO pin, I can individually address all lights on the strand? I would likely have a "strand" or "cluster" of 3-4 bulbs per lantern for the brightness I desire/"twinkling" effects, and probably join at a protoboard and wire in parallel to the pi GPIO. Assuming that if I can address one bulb, that I can address the 3-4 bulbs per lantern and control as a "cluster" as long as it's defined in code?

I'm perfectly willing to suffer/puzzle through how to control these things in Python, and it seems that there are plenty of libraries out there that I can adapt, so long as my assumptions on how everything's all interconnected are okay as a starting point.

Other odds and ends:
If I'm understanding correctly, I'll need to step up the GPIO voltage to 5v to control the linked lights? Would something like the below work to step up?
https://www.amazon.com/Comidox-Modu...02971195&sr=8-1

And this is the power supply I'm looking at. It appears each bulb draws .06 amps, so I'm thinking I'll have .7a overhead if I were running all 50 bulbs and the pi was running full bore at 1.3a (and I'm likely going to be under 40 bulbs total and keep some as spares). Open to suggestions on a better supply, I'm going to need about 10 ft of cord to run from a wall outlet to hang from the ceiling like a lamp.
https://www.amazon.com/JOVNO-100-24...2970823&sr=8-19

Oh and this would be running off a Pi Zero W I have kicking around.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’d typically float an arduino for that sort of thing, but if you’re looking to hook into Google or the like then I think you’re on the right track.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Where’s the learning electronics thread?

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

Where’s the learning electronics thread?

DIY
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734977

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
You can't drive a boost converter from the GPIO, it doesn't have the amperage. You probably should look for a solid state switch instead.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

ty

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

VictualSquid posted:

You can't drive a boost converter from the GPIO, it doesn't have the amperage. You probably should look for a solid state switch instead.

Makes sense. I have a 2n2222 transistor in my bag of parts, would that work, or do you have a suggestion?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
In the link you gave, look in the “often bought together” section on amazon:

your link

the component

I don’t know for sure, but looks simple enough, read the reviews

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

SuicidalSmurf posted:

Makes sense. I have a 2n2222 transistor in my bag of parts, would that work, or do you have a suggestion?

Should work.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

other people posted:

Does anyone know if the VideCoreIV/OpenMax libraries are available as source code anywhere? All I can find are the binaries (https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/tree/master/opt/vc).

I have set up a Pi4 with fedora and I'd like to try jellyfin with hardware acceleration but that depends on openmax (https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/administration/hardware-acceleration.html#raspberry-pi-3-and-4).

Broadcom doesn't provide any documentation for their stuff

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

So I'm considering getting a Pi Zero W (again) sometime relatively soon and I was looking into pi-hole. It seems great, awesome, wonderful, but I was wondering beyond that - are there any weird ad-block-awareness side effects? For example, on a lot of websites, they either restrict you from accessing it or have some weirdo blocks put in place to make viewing the site or its content 10x worse than if you had no ad-blocker. Looking at pi-hole, it looks like it works differently in that these sites would, in theory, still think they're sending ads that you're receiving, but in reality, they're being ushered off into the ether. Is this the case?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I think the website would react as if the ad servers themselves were down since calls in/out(?) never return. The site might still load weird/not at all though if some script has to wait for that ad content response before loading anything. In those cases you can access the pihole admin panel webpage to click some buttons to disable all blocking for x seconds/minutes if you need to. GroupMe’s web client for instance doesnt load the login page for me unless I disable the pihole for 10s, but after that it is fine.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Most sites don't react the way you would think where they tell you to disable your ad blocker and prevent you from using the site. The request for the ad fails so things just don't load at all. Sometimes this will break the design of the site where there will be a large empty space. If you ever need to turn it off, the pi-hole web app admin interface has a convenient disable function where you can disable it for any amount of time from 1 minute to hours.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
The only thing I’ve found that it really does break is a lot of the “deals” sites... sites that list discounts for stuff and when you click to get more info, they send you through a gauntlet of redirects so that they can get $ from a bunch of different affiliates or whatever.

Pihole can stop those dead, so if you really want to buy/see the item, you’ll have to disable it for a bit or add a bunch of sites to whitelist.

In my case, it gives me a pause to think about whether I really need more crap... so I love the issue, but YMMV :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

If you're doing actual internet browsing with a full-fledged browser you can just install ublock origin and have full control over which individual sites can get whitelisted, no need to go through the pihole.

A pihole is nice for providing adblocking to crippled devices like smart TVs or ebook readers. You generally aren't going to browse a ton of different sites on those, more likely it's going to be YouTube and your favourite news sites.