Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

So far all the characters have been better on drugs: Stamets stopped being an rear end in a top hat when he took shrooms, Tilly was a bit cooler when she inhaled Klingon fumes, and Burnham was a riot on the laughing truth gas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Discovery flirts with being the trippiest Trek, and I hope they really lean into that more this year.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The Golden Gael posted:

So far all the characters have been better on drugs: Stamets stopped being an rear end in a top hat when he took shrooms, Tilly was a bit cooler when she inhaled Klingon fumes, and Burnham was a riot on the laughing truth gas.

This is true about real life too

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

more evidence that the Federation should be more like the Culture

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Yeah it's weird but Starfleet has a history of dudes from 100 years ago showing up and continuing to have jobs (Scotty and Captain Frasier and his crew both have this in multiple novels, Tuvok left Starfleet for 60ish years iirc, that Timeship captain who was trapped on Earth for 30 years) Given Lower Decks presenting the adventures as viral holonovels people know, they would be familiar enough with the concept it would become a trope. That's not even getting into anything that happened post-Temporal Cold War, something spoke of as understood fact in this episode. I bet there was a whole pack of random officers from the past 800 years running around on ships after it was over, all of which probably died but would have their own holonovel stories that this guy probably checked out as sitting at a desk all day doing nothing is pretty boring. But I might be giving this more thought that the writers

Language evolves so quickly for 1000 years we're lucky the universal translator can figure it out even if he is speaking proper English, just check out how English sounded 1000 years ago. But maybe he's accenting certain things for a reason...

English's change is a very special case and the great vowel shift was the result of many complicated factors. English's rapid mutation happened over a period of about 150-200 years. Chaucer and Shakespeare were only 150 years apart, but most likely couldn't understand the other's language. Meanwhile, most modern English speakers would be able to understand Shakespeare's spoken language. Compare Spanish and Italian, which have had approximately 1500 years to diverge, and still have some mutual spoken intelligibility.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Perestroika posted:

Just watched the new episode, drugged-up Michael was great. Gives me some hope that the writers are finally realising that both the character and actor are much more fun to watch when the script actually lets her show emotion beyond "stoically sorrowful". I just hope they can keep that up.

People keep saying that, but there's not really any joke there. Someone gets high and acts goofy. That's about as broad of humor as you can get. They may as well have given her helium so her voice was all high pitched as well. Talk about comedy gold

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair he didn’t say there was a joke

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

A show with balls would have had Burnham say "Wait you've been sitting in this room for 40 years and you can't even put a flag up by yourself? No wonder the Federation fell apart if people like you are all that's left." And then she'd walk out on him in disgust.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Alchenar posted:

A show with balls would have had Burnham say "Wait you've been sitting in this room for 40 years and you can't even put a flag up by yourself? No wonder the Federation fell apart if people like you are all that's left." And then she'd walk out on him in disgust.

Yea but then you wouldn't have the heroic Kevin Sorbo speech at the end of the episode.

Something something rekindle the light

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I like that the show has psychedelia, but I wish it had a more tasteful take on it than “dude weed lmao”

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Alchenar posted:

Yes, I’m sure the people who’ve been complaining about how Discovery is needlessly “grimdark” and EDGY for the last three years would have loved Burnham making GBS threads on a guy for absolutely no reason just because he’s been holding onto an ideal and the hope that comes with it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I liked the Cargo Cult Starfleet guy, but he raises questions. His father and grandfather managed to have kids while still performing vital Sitting In A Room Doing Nothing duties, does that mean that station still has a sizable population? Or has everyone left but him?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I liked the Cargo Cult Starfleet guy, but he raises questions. His father and grandfather managed to have kids while still performing vital Sitting In A Room Doing Nothing duties, does that mean that station still has a sizable population? Or has everyone left but him?

I think he said that his father and grandfather were in the service but actually serving on ships, whereas he was the Sitting In A Room guy

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Tars Tarkas posted:

that Timeship captain who was trapped on Earth for 30 years
I headcannoned that he was rescued immediately, then just went back 30 years later to setup the whole thing for Voyager to find him.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yes, I’m sure the people who’ve been complaining about how Discovery is needlessly “grimdark” and EDGY for the last three years would have loved Burnham making GBS threads on a guy for absolutely no reason just because he’s been holding onto an ideal and the hope that comes with it.

I mean the concept of the federation needing to be restored in what I assume is a diystopian future is edgy and grim dark so if you are already there might as well commit

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ramadu posted:

Kirk would have said hes being a moron and just raise it himself!

It’s that kind of off the cuff disregard for the ideals of the Federation that disqualifies a man from being the most important officer in history :colbert:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean the concept of the federation needing to be restored in what I assume is a diystopian future is edgy and grim dark so if you are already there might as well commit

See, people keep saying this but I disagree. Having your new characters fight to restore a better future and the ideals that created it in the first place is not even close to the same as saying “everything is poo poo now and nothing the previous characters ever did mattered”. You might as well criticize DS9 for the same poo poo while you’re at it just because it featured a large-scale war and shady politics.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I was joking... a bit. The problem is:

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The guy didn't come off across as an idealist. He's been sitting in a room for 30 years waiting for someone to save him. He is the lazy antithesis of every value a writer has ever had a character in Starfleet champion.

The scene needed to close off with one of two things:
a) some acknowledgement of the guy's pathetic helplessness and need to be saved, or
b) "I've spent my life on this station, following them mission my father had and his father before him. When it became clear that everything was falling apart a faction of Starfleet set up caches of tech and equipment all over Federation space. The damage to the archives and sensors meant that it took decades to piece together the puzzle but *pushes button and the map lights up* out there is what we need to get started" Boom, there's your hook for the season (yeah that's not original at all but none of this is).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

See, people keep saying this but I disagree. Having your new characters fight to restore a better future and the ideals that created it in the first place is not even close to the same as saying “everything is poo poo now and nothing the previous characters ever did mattered”. You might as well criticize DS9 for the same poo poo while you’re at it just because it featured a large-scale war and shady politics.

I always thought people thought DS9 was edgy, especially for trek. Like i said if discovery is going for edgy which defiantly is what modern trek is all about at least commit.

It wants to both be edgy but also pretend the federation is some ideal.

Pick one

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This.

Bad things are inevitable in life. It's easy for the Federation to exist and be a nice friendly warm place when times are good.

How do you react to the really bad times though? That's a much more interesting situation. It's what it looked like Picard was going to explore at first until it went off the rails.

The Utopian vision of Star Trek isn't meant to be that things just happen to be better, it's that people worked together to react to things and choose to make them better. Hell, the very premise involves a nuclear war occurring in our life times.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean the problem with that is modern Trek just focuses on the federation sucking. If you just watched discovery the federation isn’t an ideal, it’s just a lovely government in a vast sea of lovely governments. Which is the biggest problem, discovery wants to be gritty and edgy. While also making the federation some ideal.

You can’t do both.

If it was better written then the plot would be creating your own ideal, but that isn’t a reference. Discovery wants the nostalgia to do the heavy lifting

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

A.o.D. posted:

English's change is a very special case and the great vowel shift was the result of many complicated factors. English's rapid mutation happened over a period of about 150-200 years. Chaucer and Shakespeare were only 150 years apart, but most likely couldn't understand the other's language. Meanwhile, most modern English speakers would be able to understand Shakespeare's spoken language. Compare Spanish and Italian, which have had approximately 1500 years to diverge, and still have some mutual spoken intelligibility.

I find this interesting, where can I read more about it?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

At your local library!

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
I don't think I like the idea of the federation basically being a religion. Unless they go all in with it and have parallels with T'Kuvma and Michael Burnham. The first episode seems to really be focused on trying to make her connect with the audience though, so I doubt it.
I know they were manipulating me, but I liked Book automatically through cute kitty transference (transfurence).

They're going to skip over the interesting bits with the crew aren't they? And have Michael rejoin them ages later when all the drama has been resolved and the ship repaired. I really want to be wrong.

On dilithium chat: It was easy to miss, but Book says that he had a dilithium recrystaliser (that broke in the crash).

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
This Sahil trashing is gross. For all we know, he only spends an hour each day at the reception, and the rest of the time he's trying to repair the station, and self-teach Starfleet Courses.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

xerxus posted:

This Sahil trashing is gross. For all we know, he only spends an hour each day at the reception, and the rest of the time he's trying to repair the station, and self-teach Starfleet Courses.

It's the Ceremonial Watch. Everything's automated, except for one hour beginning at 08:12

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
He's not a real person. The way he is presented is that every day is the same for him: gets woken up by a sweet birdy alarm clock, brushes his teeth, sits at his desk and scans for signals, rinse, repeat.

I was fully expecting it to turn out that he's an AI who's gone a bit weird over time and imitates human behaviour like sleeping and teeth brushing.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

one hour beginning at 08:12

Sorry but I'm gonna need this in regulation stardate format

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Sorry but I'm gonna need this in regulation stardate format

Oh eight hundred twelve?

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Brawnfire posted:

It's the Ceremonial Watch. Everything's automated, except for one hour beginning at 08:12

I'm sure he's talked with other couriers. Book was probably referring to him specifically as the true believer. I don't imagine that Book has met many Starfleet members.

I choose to believe that he's rendered aid to anyone who comes by the station however he can.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Apropos of nothing, the whole Stahil thing reminded me of the delegate that the colonies send to the armistice station in BSG.

Hopefully he comes out of it less dead :)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don't understand how Starfleet is still using traditional warp drive in the year 3000-something when in 2360-something, Starfleet knew about tech like singularity drives and quantum slipstream drive (which Book name drops).

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Strong Convections posted:

He's not a real person. The way he is presented is that every day is the same for him: gets woken up by a sweet birdy alarm clock, brushes his teeth, sits at his desk and scans for signals, rinse, repeat.

I was fully expecting it to turn out that he's an AI who's gone a bit weird over time and imitates human behaviour like sleeping and teeth brushing.

That's what I was expecting too: a glitchy old hologram/AI that's stuck in a loop. It would've been cool if they'd gone the Altered Carbon route with him.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

echoplex posted:

WHAT IS THE DEAL WITH THE WAY BOOK SAYS STUFF

tri-CORDER
temp-ural

is time a lightly battered vegetable now?

He's French, and by the 24th century, French people had accents that to our ears sound decidedly British. They put the ack SENT on a different sill AH bull.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

xerxus posted:

I'm sure he's talked with other couriers. Book was probably referring to him specifically as the true believer. I don't imagine that Book has met many Starfleet members.

I choose to believe that he's rendered aid to anyone who comes by the station however he can.

that’s where I’m landing; he aids people who show up and the shock was just that Burnham self-identified as a Starfleet officer - I mean, Book has to know about him somehow and it seems easiest if he had a rep for rendering aid and being obsessed with old things, like people who dress up as cowboys or samurai I guess

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Pretty sure we're gonna find out the Burn was caused by someone who will turn out to be the antagonists for the season.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Martytoof posted:

I'm sad that the Orion dude got wasted by the worm. I thought him and his Andorian buddy were great.

Yeah, those two would have made excellent recurring characters. Orion dude especially, but both actors should do well with this episode on their reels.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

The part about The Burn that I'm curious about is how Starfleet can claim it will never happen again.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

The Golden Gael posted:

Why didn't he get one of them to unfurl the flag or give him a field commission

Martytoof posted:

I just finished watching the episode and literally came in here to ask that :lol:

Burnham literally gives him a commission. And then they do the flag. Did you miss some of the episode?

"Mr. Sahil, you are as real a federation officer as any I have ever met. If you would do me the honor we need an acting communications chief who can keep searching for my ship. Will you accept the commission?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't understand how Starfleet is still using traditional warp drive in the year 3000-something when in 2360-something, Starfleet knew about tech like singularity drives and quantum slipstream drive (which Book name drops).

Maybe the proper Starfleet ships do and Book just relies on warp because it’s easier in his Millennium Falcon on the dilithium or something.