Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I think Celery Man is just all around better, Tayne only really comes together once you get Hat Wobble

Especially if you can get the duo with Oyster smiling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

I wonder when I'm actually going to hear a narrator repeat, or if he's going to acknowledge running completely out of ideas

There is actually a line that I got today once you've heard all of them at least once. It's labelled "Telling" and the skulls go any story worth telling once is worth telling again.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Yoked posted:

I got through the Bone Hydra on my 20th run and died at the Minotaur so that definitely feels like progress.
The minotaur will seem like a brick wall for a little while, but he only has three basic moves, which are all insanely telegraphed.

1. Double sweeping slash. It has a huge wind-up, and you can dash away or straight through him (this is harder in the second half of the fight).

2. Leaping slam. This usually happens right after the sweeping slash. The leap is slow, so you have plenty of time to dash -- I recommend dashing straight toward/through him for a free backstab or two. He will sometimes leap two or three times in a row, so just keep dashing through him and hitting him in the back.

3. Bull charge. He stomps his feet and runs after you (not blindly straight -- he will turn). Dash through pillars or away from a wall, and he'll crash and get stunned for a second.

At half health, his leaping slam gains projectiles that shoot out left/right/forward on impact, and the sweeping slash will grow to cover some area behind him, so it's harder to dash straight through him. Otherwise, it's the same fight.

That's it. He'll probably kill you a few more times, and then you'll start clowning on him whenever you see him. When I encounter him mid-Elysium now, he rarely lands a single hit on me.

Of course, it gets more complicated the first time you encounter the Minotaur alongside Other Guy, especially if you don't have the fight down yet.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

is the chaos legendary restricted to death defiance and won't spawn with stubborn defiance? I'm suffering through stubborn defiance to try to get the touch of styx purchased one time for the prophecy and after going through two chaos gates with the egg and a yarn of ariadne and a reroll, after already getting a chaos boon to set it up, but it did not spawn, it had me wondering

the chaos legendary is just super rare; you can't get it on the first gate so don't waste a re-roll there. I finally got it today with death defiance on my third chaos room with two re-rolls done

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

New personal goal: have Death Defiance, Kiss of Styx, Chaos Defiance, Athena Stand, and Lucky Tooth all at the same time

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

People complain about the spear, but I just did a crit build where I didn't use the melee all game -- just skewered crowds with the special. All my extra damage came from Zeus dash boons. You can do hundreds of damage per throw, and you get a free backstab on the return.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I got the aspect of Arthur, with a starting Daedalus hammer that awarded 200% more backstab damage. Coupled that with Artemis's attack and when the stars align i would get 3000+ crits. poo poo was ridiculous

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I accidentally bought the maxed Zeus shield - I'd been dashing around while testing it on Skelly and zipped right into my bedchambers. Oops.

So I did a run with it and it's really not bad. I put Zeus on Special and supplemented it with kind of a random mix of other stuff (Poseidon dash, Dio cast, never did get a Call) and escaped on Heat 1.

It's pretty good, but my boons had almost no synergy. Has anyone found a good setup that focuses on the Zeus shield's Special?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Halfway through the Elysium boss on my guan yu run was NOT the ideal time for my thumb to collapse from all the dash attacking.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

WhiteHowler posted:

I accidentally bought the maxed Zeus shield - I'd been dashing around while testing it on Skelly and zipped right into my bedchambers. Oops.

So I did a run with it and it's really not bad. I put Zeus on Special and supplemented it with kind of a random mix of other stuff (Poseidon dash, Dio cast, never did get a Call) and escaped on Heat 1.

It's pretty good, but my boons had almost no synergy. Has anyone found a good setup that focuses on the Zeus shield's Special?

In a perfect world, I think the best thing to go for is Poseidon Special, then get Zeus attack and pray for Sea Storm

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

WhiteHowler posted:

Thunder Flourish is one of the better ones, especially with Static Discharge. Get Poseidon on you somewhere for Sea Storm, Razor Shoals, etc.--shield attacks have knockback by default so they'll trigger all those boons even without Tempest Strike. Then you can put Aphrodite, Demeter, or Dionysus on your attack and every hit will activate Privileged Status.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 17, 2020

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

WhiteHowler posted:

If you put Athena on the special you can stand inside it and be invincible.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Xand_Man posted:

Minor annoyance: I wish that fishing spots didn't spawn behind Persephone in her garden in Greece. Every reunion is "MOM!" "SON!" and then I run right past her to check out the river. Makes me feel like a real jerk

If you catch a fish in her garden in front of her she'll congratulate you, so don't worry, she definitely approves of your fishing hobby.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

pospysyl posted:

If you catch a fish in her garden in front of her she'll congratulate you, so don't worry, she definitely approves of your fishing hobby.

Also when in the back garden, but it's hard to hear and won't get subtitles unless you really gun it right back to her.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dammit Zeus, tell me about the hidden Rail aspect already.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Oxyclean posted:

Dammit Zeus, tell me about the hidden Rail aspect already.
I was almost 80 runs into the save before he finally coughed up the phrase for me. Now I'm waiting for him to hit a couple of conversation triggers that are apparently needed for the epilogue prophecy to become available. :sigh:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I am so [unjustifiably] proud of myself

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 18, 2020

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Heat 32 done!

Notes:
- it's kindof unfortunate I only got offered Sea Storm in Styx despite seeing a lot of both Poseidon and Zeus. Poseidon special with double knockback and some extra bonus boons weren't bad at all before that though. Might've been better to go for a build which was stronger early since my heat options mostly made the encounters harder rather than the final boss.
- speaking of which, I tried EM4 on a previous attempt and it was a big mistake. The miniboss summons with double benefits package and middle management were... a problem.
- Jury Summons was probably a mistake, the extra spawns wasted a lot of time and I ran out in both Tartarus and Elysium. Could've easily cost me the run if I didn't manage to finish off those bosses quickly.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I am so [unjustifiably] proud of myself

Does "Perfect Clear" mean you didn't take any damage?

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
I had loads of fun with Zeus Shield stacked with his Boons, at the he end I had the radius of lightning up to 200%, it was pretty crazy - I only had to special once and be confident that everything in the room died.

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler
I unlocked the bow hidden aspect so I decided to give it a run to knock off the prophecy. Immediately got given an epic Poseidon attack boon and managed to grab the Exclusive Access duo at the start of Asphodel. Ended up putting together a build that was all in on the Poseidon knockback stuff along with some hangover on my dash and special.

This ended up being completely ridiculous, I was one-shotting all of the rooms in the tunnels. Fire a single shot and everything was just pinballing around the room, it was glorious.

Now all I need is for people to actually how up at home and let me talk to them, I've got a bunch of quests where I need to get conversations to progress them and there's either almost no-one at home or they're all talking to each other.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Not a Children posted:

You can also get it by being full health at the end of the fight even though you took damage.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

hot take: crits are a trap option and building for them requires too much effort/luck for too little return

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
counterpoint: big number

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

About the flat % bonuses - Ares attack, Aphrodite defense, evasion, crit, etc - which ones are worth it, and at what rarity? Also how far up do you guys push Pressure Points with poms

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

hot take: crits are a trap option and building for them requires too much effort/luck for too little return

Depends on the attack. Crits on chiron or guan yu special are pretty strong

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Had the aphro legendary (weakened foes sometimes auto charm) for the Theseus/Asterius fight, and it proc'ed on Asterius with only a sliver of life left just as Theseus was doing his 360 spin attack, and it killed Asterius. There's actually a voice line: 'No! Beast! I didn't mean it!' or something to that effect. I felt bad because Asterius didn't deserve that. This fuckin' game man.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

zoux posted:

About the flat % bonuses - Ares attack, Aphrodite defense, evasion, crit, etc - which ones are worth it, and at what rarity? Also how far up do you guys push Pressure Points with poms

I never pick poms but I have gotten as high as 8%.

Deflect is more about the weapon itself and the attack animation. It's pretty great on spear charged attack and sword attacks and specials, ok on fist, and I'm pretty sure it's hilarious on hidden rail, but I can never make that gun work.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

terrorist ambulance posted:

Depends on the attack. Crits on chiron or guan yu special are pretty strong

Crits on Lucifer attack just ended up being loving hilarious for me and when given time to actually line up the full beam was fully capable of putting up 1800 damage streaks.

Mythias
Jun 5, 2003

"I don't know if bestiality is illegal (it should be), but if so, I was underage at the time and I'm sure

Harold Fjord posted:

I never pick poms but I have gotten as high as 8%.

Deflect is more about the weapon itself and the attack animation. It's pretty great on spear charged attack and sword attacks and specials, ok on fist, and I'm pretty sure it's hilarious on hidden rail, but I can never make that gun work.

I had triple lasers on the hidden aspect of the Gun along with the hammer that removes reloading and Deflect on attack. On the mini-boss version of the Minotaur at least all I did was hold down attack and and stand in his face. Every single thing he could do to me was deflected from my non-stop triple deflect beam. It was also very fun against the purple ball shooting wizards, I just held down attack and swept the screen clean.

I still didn't enjoy using the aspect but it let me get to Hades and get the prophecy done.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Not a Children posted:

Just no damage on the Hades fight. But yeah that's what I was proud of.

I was slumming a bit -- doing a 0-heat run to go back and get the titan blood.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

WhiteHowler posted:

I generally wear Zeus's trinket to get lightning bolts on the special. Then if I don't have a good AOE cast to supplement by Asphodel, I put on the Dio trinket hoping for trippy shot.

Beyond those two, it really doesn't matter. Zeus and Dio have pretty good AOE compatibility (lightning bolts in the festive fog is a great duo if you can get it) and your damage is going to be bonkers with pretty much anything on top of those two elements to supplement.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

First clear under 15 minutes and first 20 heat clear. Eris aspect is something else

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Mythias posted:

I had triple lasers on the hidden aspect of the Gun along with the hammer that removes reloading and Deflect on attack. On the mini-boss version of the Minotaur at least all I did was hold down attack and and stand in his face. Every single thing he could do to me was deflected from my non-stop triple deflect beam. It was also very fun against the purple ball shooting wizards, I just held down attack and swept the screen clean.

I still didn't enjoy using the aspect but it let me get to Hades and get the prophecy done.

My understanding has been that deflect on attack does not work on rail because every time i've done it I have deflected 0% of shots.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
gently caress. RIP to my win streak. Had a bad luck run that ended at Extreme Measures Theseus fight somehow at "only" 12 heat. Was running a Stygian cast build that just could not get off the ground.

83 attempts, 53 total clears, 34 win streak. Back to the drawing board.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

purkey posted:

First clear under 15 minutes and first 20 heat clear. Eris aspect is something else

Does Eris work with Rocket? I assumed with no blast to stand in you lose the ability to take advantage of it.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Nothing like seeing a 1000+! hit pop up regularly

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Oxyclean posted:

Does Eris work with Rocket? I assumed with no blast to stand in you lose the ability to take advantage of it.

The rocket still has an AOE splash, which activates the buff when you're in it.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

purkey posted:

My most recent clear was with Eris rail. Unfortunately the whole thing kinda went tits up and it was a 37 minute clear on heat 4. I didn't have a call at the end because I couldn't get Athena to cough hers up for love or money so it made the dad fight take like 3 minutes longer. Apparently I don't quite 'get' the Eris Rail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Nikumatic posted:

The rocket still has an AOE splash, which activates the buff when you're in it.

With cluster bombs, the AOE can be most of the screen.